The Military Draft and You (or someone you may know)...?

BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 11:44 pm
@glitterbag,
Tet is Vietnamese New Year and a celebration something like Mardi Gras, therefore, it happens every year. The one remembered as being so bad was, as you said, 1968 (it happens in February). The 1969 Tet was some what bad and I was there in June 1969 - June 1970; so Tet 1970.

My unit was assigned to protect a main bridge outside An Lộc, Bình Long Province, South Vietnam for Tet 1970. To show how important this target was, there was a large battle there in 1972 by North Vietnam in their 1st attempt to over run the south. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_An_Loc Tet 1970 was not so rough as the previous two.

I respect our nurses of Vietnam with my whole heart. A Captain saved my life at the 2nd Field Hospital in Saigon in October, 1969. She provided me the extra comfort and care I needed to survive a very close call! I just wish I could contact her to thank her today.
oralloy

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 11:46 pm
@glitterbag,
I wonder if progressivism counts as a form of mental illness.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2020 11:59 pm
@BillW,
The name Tet Nguyen Dan is Sino-Vietnamese for Feast of the very First Morning. Tet takes place from the first day of the first month of the Lunar calendar (around late January or early February) until at least the third day. Many Vietnamese prepare for Tet by cooking special holiday foods and cleaning their house.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 12:17 am
@BillW,
I'll send you a PM.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:23 am
@revelette3,
Clearly.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:38 am
@glitterbag,
That's my experience, too. They tend to be particularly nasty to those like you and me, who enlisted.

I signed two years after my exposure to the draft, and my wife spent 28 years in dangerous places like Northern Thailand where there were VC sapper attacks, in Laos with General Vang Pao, Mauritania during which she was the acting station chief during a armed dispute over the then government.

She has better war stories than I do.

It slays me how these patriots with no service in their game knock us, the ones who put skin in the game to support the Flag, the Constitution (they mostly are ignorant of) and the Republic.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 10:25 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It's ok for them to have an opinion though, right?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 10:47 am
@McGentrix,
Who says otherwise? Are you attacking my opinion after I put my life on the line to be able to have one, and so you can have one, too?

Opinions are like assholes; everybody has them. Even assholes have opinions and assholes, too.

Having an opinion isn't hard, having an informed one takes an effort.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 01:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
The problem is that many have an uninformed opinion that facts will not change.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 02:22 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
G-bag was saying otherwise. If I attack your opinion, it will be because your opinion is wrong and have nothing to do with whatever you have done with your life.

I would never suggest that anyone not read your posts though. That is what G-bag was doing. Do you agree with her on that? That opinions should be stifled because you disagree with them?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 02:32 pm
@McGentrix,
When did I tell anyone to not read your posts mcG?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 04:49 pm
@RABEL222,
Fools rush in. Much to your and my amusement and occasional dismay.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 04:51 pm
@glitterbag,
I don't 'member that, either.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 05:03 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Why do you guys respond to uneducated morons???? Alright, I take that back, every so often I become furious over the lack of curiosity of some folks, and I respond..............It's hard (if you have raised children or supervised young people) to ignore silly stupid uninformed uneducated comments and let them wallow in oblivion....not everyone gets educated or informed, what a pity.

You don't recall saying this? Most be your old age?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 05:23 pm
@McGentrix,
She said it, she retains the right to ignore uninformed opinions.

Don't you?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 05:41 pm
@McGentrix,
Yes I did say that, why do you think I was talking about you? You were not the 'primary' I thought of when I wrote that. If it helps, I think you're a guy with a chip on his shoulder and someone who shoots from the lip.....But sorry, I don't think you are a moron. Hopefully that won't erode any of your 'cred'.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 05:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Ignoring it is different than trying to stifle it. I ignore several posters on A2K but I'd never suggest others do so. That's up to them and they shouldn't be biased by my bleating about it.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 06:45 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
That's up to them and they shouldn't be biased by my bleating about it.

That is an obsession with power and control on a smaller scale of the policies and people they like. Ridicule is a weapon as is racist, Islamophobe, Nationalist, and Nazi that are words used like clubs to avoid discussing the real problem.

It is far easier to attack a person than the facts of any matter.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 09:18 am
U.S. Army Alert: You Are Not Being Drafted
Quote:
The U.S. Army wants Americans to know they have not been selected for a military draft despite a rash of texts that falsely tell people they're heading to fight a war against Iran.

The warning comes amid escalating tensions with Iran. Last week, the U.S. launched a drone strike that killed the top Iranian military leader, Gen. Qassem Soleimani, and in retaliation, Tehran launched more than a dozen missiles at two military bases in Iraq on Tuesday.

"U.S. Army Recruiting Command has received multiple calls and emails about these fake text messages and wants to ensure Americans understand these texts are false and were not initiated by this command or the U.S. Army," officials said in a statement on Wednesday.

https://i.imgur.com/lZzaY4H.jpg
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 11:40 am
@McGentrix,
You try to impede others opinion by attacking peoples spelling ability. You have attacked me more than once. You are two faced as anyone on this site. It takes real nerve to attack others when you are the one who engages in this tactic.