The Military Draft and You (or someone you may know)...?

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 01:14 pm
The military draft had been put out to pasture in 1975 by former US President Richard M. Nixon. But the divisive concept is popping along with hyperbolic drops of #WWIII (World War III) on social media.

What are the odds of this happening if things escalate between the US and Iran (worst case scenarios involved)?

Do you know many persons who will qualify for the draft? Would you qualify for the draft? I'm pretty sure I aged out of any possible (soonish) military draft. If I qualify? We're royally screwed as it means the military is desperate and needs to pull the largest force from the US population (regardless of how low the parameters will have to be to pull someone in my age group, etc...).

There's a Congressional/Presidential committee will drop a report on the potential of the draft coming out this March 2020. The committee will determine if women need to be added to the draft (qualification wise and mandatory recruitment upon reaching a certain age to register).
Congressional committee reportedly weighing up adding women to the military draft

A little context on how it needs to happen if person(s) in the Trump administration or beyond are willing it to happen.
Quote:
Congress and the President Authorize a Draft
A crisis occurs which requires more troops than the volunteer military can supply. Congress passes and the president signs legislation which starts the draft process. It should be noted that the president cannot initiate a draft on his or her own.

Source of quote, though I wish I had a better (more academic source than a (possible) blogger who himself doesn't footnote his own blog/article for factual verification. So ... take this quote with a grain of salt.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 10,111 • Replies: 243

Real Music

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 01:46 pm
Quote:
Conscription in the United States, commonly known as the draft, has been employed by the federal government of the United States in five conflicts: the American Revolution, the American Civil War, World War I, World War II, and the Cold War (including both the Korean War and the Vietnam War). The fourth incarnation of the draft came into being in 1940 through the Selective Training and Service Act. It was the country's first peacetime draft. From 1940 until 1973, during both peacetime and periods of conflict, men were drafted to fill vacancies in the United States Armed Forces that could not be filled through voluntary means. The draft came to an end when the United States Armed Forces moved to an all-volunteer military.

However, the Selective Service System remains in place as a contingency plan; all male citizens between the ages of 18 and 25 are required to register so that a draft can be readily resumed if needed. United States Federal Law also provides for the compulsory conscription of men between the ages of 17 and 45 and certain women for militia service pursuant to Article I, Section 8 of the United States Constitution and 10 U.S. Code ยง 246.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_in_the_United_States
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 02:12 pm
A new draft would be the surest way to get the public aroused enough to end the endless wars.
Below viewing threshold (view)
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 05:14 pm
@oralloy,
Where do you get this ****? Are you smoking some potent weed?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 05:48 pm
@oralloy,
sigh
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 06:20 pm
@oralloy,
People with your viewpoint are causing the deaths of literally millions - Americans, Muslims, etc. But let one person you personally want to protect die and you will look for a progressive to blame it on.
ekename

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
A new draft would be the surest way to get the public aroused

There's a certain synergy in sending gun owners.
oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:16 pm
@ekename,
Better to send all the progressives into some WWI style trench warfare. Every progressive that gets ground up in the trenches is a progressive that won't be able to harm America.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
People with your viewpoint are causing the deaths of literally millions - Americans, Muslims, etc.

Good. They shouldn't have attacked us if they did not want us to defend ourselves from them.

edgarblythe wrote:
But let one person you personally want to protect die and you will look for a progressive to blame it on.

If a progressive forces someone to become a soldier against their will, that progressive is to blame for whatever harm they suffer as a soldier.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:25 pm
People who demand war should be put in helmets, given weapons, and sent out to kill and be killed. Particularly our leaders, of both political parties.

Back when the Iraq illegal invasion was underway, my boss told me, "I would sacrifice my son over there." I told her, "They take women too." Neither one of them rushed out to volunteer.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:30 pm
@oralloy,
That's what I thought. You people don't care how many people die. If they die you make up a story to "prove" they deserved killing and continue thirsting for more blood. It's never your fault. Disgusting.
oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
I didn't make up anything.

This happened.

http://images2.imgbox.com/69/99/owxUGcFA_o.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:42 pm
So did Oklahoma City and many other incidents where many innocent people died. What's 911 got to do with Iran anyway?
oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
It doesn't. It has everything to do with the war in Afghanistan and the war on terror however.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 07:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
People who demand war should be put in helmets, given weapons, and sent out to kill and be killed. Particularly our leaders, of both political parties.

Who is demanding war? America is only protecting ourselves from people who are out to harm us.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 08:10 pm
@oralloy,
I notice you conveniently left out mention of Saudi Arabia when telling us why we are in Afghanistan.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 08:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
17 out of 17 of the 9 11 terrorists were Afghan. That's why we went to war with Afghanistan.