Okay...let's see...where was I...

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:43 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
I love you poor boobs who are constantly claiming victory.

Every argument you've made in this thread....and the other threads in which you post...have been shown to be baloney. Your arguments are, in fact, pathetic. As I mentioned...we've had some theists in this forum who were able to put together a sustained and reasonable defense of theism. They had some defects....and those defects, when pointed out, showed their arguments to be losers.

But you have not even come close to reasonable arguments....and logic, to you, apparently is simply something that must be twisted in order to try to shoehorn some pet "belief" into it.

But as I have said in the past...you provide a laugh a minute....and for that we must be thankful.
So I've lost, eh? Well, allow me to borrow a page from Timber and point out a few of the logical fallacies upon which you rely:

argumentum ad lapidem: One of your favorites; dismissing a statement as BS, without offering proof.

argumentum ad populum and predjudicial fallacy: appealing to your perceived emotional interests of the crowd.

argumentum ad verecundiam: Another biggie; Referring me to spurious websites and incompetent authorities, many of whom you yourself state to be liars.

damning the origin: asserting that I have an irrational motive (fear) for my belief.

appeal to pity: calling the Egyptian firstborn 'babies'

strawman: Attempting to refute the bible by attacking misrepresentations of the bible.

begging the question: Attempting to support your assertions about hell with your misguided belief about the definition of hell.

But the coffee invitation stands. Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:22 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
I love you poor boobs who are constantly claiming victory.

Every argument you've made in this thread....and the other threads in which you post...have been shown to be baloney. Your arguments are, in fact, pathetic. As I mentioned...we've had some theists in this forum who were able to put together a sustained and reasonable defense of theism. They had some defects....and those defects, when pointed out, showed their arguments to be losers.

But you have not even come close to reasonable arguments....and logic, to you, apparently is simply something that must be twisted in order to try to shoehorn some pet "belief" into it.

But as I have said in the past...you provide a laugh a minute....and for that we must be thankful.
So I've lost, eh? Well, allow me to borrow a page from Timber and point out a few of the logical fallacies upon which you rely:

argumentum ad lapidem: One of your favorites; dismissing a statement as BS, without offering proof.

argumentum ad populum and predjudicial fallacy: appealing to your perceived emotional interests of the crowd.

argumentum ad verecundiam: Another biggie; Referring me to spurious websites and incompetent authorities, many of whom you yourself state to be liars.

damning the origin: asserting that I have an irrational motive (fear) for my belief.

appeal to pity: calling the Egyptian firstborn 'babies'

strawman: Attempting to refute the bible by attacking misrepresentations of the bible.

begging the question: Attempting to support your assertions about hell with your misguided belief about the definition of hell.

But the coffee invitation stands. Smile

You are to be pitied.

I can understand some of the less intellectually gifted foks buying into this horseshyt....and making the kind of twisted logic arguments that come to these fora in these kinds of discussions...

...but you hold yourself out to be a learned person.

You are, indeed, to be pitied.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 01:23 pm
And I reiterate:

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:46 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
And I reiterate:

Yeah, Frank. Why don't you just review a few of my objections for those who are less familiar with the thread? Smile
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 05:02 pm
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
And I reiterate:

Yeah, Frank. Why don't you just review a few of my objections for those who are less familiar with the thread? Smile

Okay...

...we discussed the "allegory" of the garden of eden....

...and I showed that it was a sting operation...with naive, essentially new-borns placed in a situation where they could not win. Your god knew that they did not know the difference between right and wrong...good and evil...and when they did what he asked them not to do....even though they did NOT KNOW there was anything wrong with what they were doing...your god visited intense punishment upon them...and all the rest of humanity.

We discussed the fact that your god....who supposedly had made all the suns in our galaxy....and all the hundreds of billions of other galaxies that we know of...and who could have easily freed the Hebrews from their supposed captivity in thousands of non-intrusive, non-barbaric ways...

...instead chose to use barbarism and murder. And your god MADE Pharaoh obdurate so that Pharaoh was also the victim of a sting by this barbaric, murderous god.

We discussed the fact that your god pretty much demands that a man who loves another man and who acts on that by having sex male-to-male...be stoned to death...

...yet if one of those men wanted to buy another man and hold that man and the man's wife and children as slaves forever...

...that would be okay with your god.

I have offered several passages showing the god to be jealous, murderous, barbaric, vindictive, vengeful, quick-to-anger slow-to-forgive, tyrannical and petty. You have been unable to furnish even one passage showing the god to be the loving, kind, understanding god you claim it is.

I have....

...but why go on.

Every argument you have presented has been blown out of the water by me or any of several other participants.

Soooo....how'd I do?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 05:24 pm
Not so good, Frank. I'll be back.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:18 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
And I reiterate:

Okay...

...and I showed that it was a sting operation...with naive, essentially new-borns placed in a situation where they could not win. Your god knew that they did not know the difference between right and wrong...good and evil...and when they did what he asked them not to do....even though they did NOT KNOW there was anything wrong with what they were doing...your god visited intense punishment upon them...and all the rest of humanity.

We discussed the fact that your god....who supposedly had made all the suns in our galaxy....and all the hundreds of billions of other galaxies that we know of...and who could have easily freed the Hebrews from their supposed captivity in thousands of non-intrusive, non-barbaric ways...

...instead chose to use barbarism and murder. And your god MADE Pharaoh obdurate so that Pharaoh was also the victim of a sting by this barbaric, murderous god.

We discussed the fact that your god pretty much demands that a man who loves another man and who acts on that by having sex male-to-male...be stoned to death...

...yet if one of those men wanted to buy another man and hold that man and the man's wife and children as slaves forever...

I have offered several passages showing the god to be jealous, murderous, barbaric, vindictive, vengeful, quick-to-anger slow-to-forgive, tyrannical and petty. You have been unable to furnish even one passage showing the god to be the loving, kind, understanding god you claim it is.

I have....

...but why go on.

Every argument you have presented has been blown out of the water by me or any of several other participants.

Soooo....how'd I do?

Frank, you have got to love God to be so arduous on his followers... Smile

\
ar·du·ous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ärj-s)
adj.
Demanding great effort or labor; difficult: "the arduous work of preparing a Dictionary of the English Language" (Thomas Macaulay).
Testing severely the powers of endurance; strenuous: a long, arduous, and exhausting war.
Hard to traverse, climb, or surmount. See Synonyms at burdensome. See Synonyms at hard.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:26 pm
Allow me to acknowledge Neo's new signature line:

"Maturity may be recognized in the slowness with which a man believes." - Baltasar Gracián

In honor of it, I will offer two more quotes on this subject:

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. George Bernard Shaw

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
Gerry Spence
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 07:29 pm
RexRed wrote:

Frank, you have got to love God to be so arduous on his followers... Smile

Nah, Rex.

I could no more "love God"...than I could "hate God." I do not even know if there is such a thing as "God."
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:49 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
And I reiterate:

Okay...

I have....

...but why go on.

Soooo....how'd I do?

Give it a rest, Frank.

Eve's response to the serpent showed they both knew and understood that the Tree was off limits.

1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:37 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

...and I showed that it was a sting operation...with naive, essentially new-borns placed in a situation where they could not win. Your god knew that they did not know the difference between right and wrong...good and evil...and when they did what he asked them not to do....even though they did NOT KNOW there was anything wrong with what they were doing...
I think I presented a good counterargument HERE No need to post it again.
Frank Apisa wrote:
your god visited intense punishment upon them...and all the rest of humanity.
This is a real hard one for you to understand; but I'll try to simplify. The punishment was to be death for Adam and Eve. You are ruminating over the application of that punishment to the rest of humanity. Well, you know, Frank. I'm ticked off about that as well. But the fault is not with God. I hope I am not asking too much for you to consider the situation presented by Satan and his two recruits, but here goes:

God had the power to execute Adam and Eve on the spot. If He had done that, you and I would never have been born and would not be having this conversation. Also, nobody questioned his power (If you believe the bible, that is.) The challenge posed by Satan was that God was a liar; that He withheld something desirable to humans; that they would be better off without Him and that no one would serve God out of love but only so long as things went well for them.

Were God to execute immediate judgement, it would mean abandoning His purpose to have the earth inhabited by Adam and Eve's descendants. So much for the God, Jehovah, whose name means 'He who causes to become'.

Were God to forgive Adam and Eve, it would prove Him a liar, since He told them in no uncertain terms what the punishment for disobedience would be. (And how would they now repair the defect they created in their consciences?)
Frank Apisa wrote:

The lesson learned from this is that God is able to deliver His people regardless of the forces mounted against them. The future is not without hope for those who died, Frank. I know you don't like to contemplate that. But Jesus did promise a resurrection for all those who never knew God in which all would have a chance to live the life Adam and Eve lost. You are perfectly within your rights to consider this a fairy tale, Frank, but don't come sniveling to me about the poor 'babies'. You can't call it brutality on one end and fairy tale on the other just because you don't like it. The whole schtick is for sale, Frank. Buy it or beg off.
Frank Apisa wrote:
"The wage sin pays is death." (Romans 6:23) The manner of death proscribed by God indicates his judgment of the sin. Once again, however, ". . . he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin." (Romans 6:7) Funny you should pick on this issue. The homosexual lifestyle may be a Hobson's choice, but it is still a choice; and it has many negative consequences. Do you think it should be approved by God?
Frank Apisa wrote:

Slavery was permitted and regulated, true. We are all slaves to one thing or another and finally to death. How people treated those who were slaves is a matter between them and God.
Frank Apisa wrote:

I have....
Really? Look what He puts up with. Satan is still free to prove his claim about the human race. He delights in the reproach brought upon God by the abominations he has sponsored. Whenever someone points out that this world situation is not God's fault, they face ridicule. I'm not making any apologies for the last six thousand years, Frank. The blame falls on Satan and those who cooperate with him.
Frank Apisa wrote:
...but why go on.

Soooo....how'd I do?
Hypothesis contrary to fact, Frank

Good job.

Keep up the good work!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 03:00 am
real life wrote:

Give it a rest, Frank.

That'll be the day!

Quote:

Eve's response to the serpent showed they both knew and understood that the Tree was off limits.

Eve knew that your god had told her not to eat of its fruit. She, nor Adam, knew there was anything wrong with disobeying. Your god had set them up. He denied them the knowledge of right and wrong...good and evil. THAT IS THE POINT OF THE STORY.

Good grief...how can you people be in such incredible denial? Can you actually be that afraid of a cartoon?

Quote:
1 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.

YES, Life...they DID know that your god told them not to eat of it. BUT SINCE THEY DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL AND BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG...

...they did not know it was wrong to disobey.

IT IS A PART OF THE STORY, Life.

Wake the hell up!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 03:08 am
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

...and I showed that it was a sting operation...with naive, essentially new-borns placed in a situation where they could not win. Your god knew that they did not know the difference between right and wrong...good and evil...and when they did what he asked them not to do....even though they did NOT KNOW there was anything wrong with what they were doing...
I think I presented a good counterargument HERE No need to post it again.

There was no counterargument. You simply insisted that they knew it was wrong to disobey.

But the story tells us that they didn't.

Gad....this is so much fun. You folks...with your transparent denial are hilarious.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
your god visited intense punishment upon them...and all the rest of humanity.
This is a real hard one for you to understand; but I'll try to simplify. The punishment was to be death for Adam and Eve. You are ruminating over the application of that punishment to the rest of humanity. Well, you know, Frank. I'm ticked off about that as well. But the fault is not with God. I hope I am not asking too much for you to consider the situation presented by Satan and his two recruits, but here goes:

God had the power to execute Adam and Eve on the spot. If He had done that, you and I would never have been born and would not be having this conversation. Also, nobody questioned his power (If you believe the bible, that is.) The challenge posed by Satan was that God was a liar; that He withheld something desirable to humans; that they would be better off without Him and that no one would serve God out of love but only so long as things went well for them.

Were God to execute immediate judgement, it would mean abandoning His purpose to have the earth inhabited by Adam and Eve's descendants. So much for the God, Jehovah, whose name means 'He who causes to become'.

Were God to forgive Adam and Eve, it would prove Him a liar, since He told them in no uncertain terms what the punishment for disobedience would be. (And how would they now repair the defect they created in their consciences?)
Frank Apisa wrote:

The lesson learned from this is that God is able to deliver His people regardless of the forces mounted against them. The future is not without hope for those who died, Frank. I know you don't like to contemplate that. But Jesus did promise a resurrection for all those who never knew God in which all would have a chance to live the life Adam and Eve lost. You are perfectly within your rights to consider this a fairy tale, Frank, but don't come sniveling to me about the poor 'babies'. You can't call it brutality on one end and fairy tale on the other just because you don't like it. The whole schtick is for sale, Frank. Buy it or beg off.
Frank Apisa wrote:
"The wage sin pays is death." (Romans 6:23) The manner of death proscribed by God indicates his judgment of the sin. Once again, however, ". . . he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin." (Romans 6:7) Funny you should pick on this issue. The homosexual lifestyle may be a Hobson's choice, but it is still a choice; and it has many negative consequences. Do you think it should be approved by God?
Frank Apisa wrote:

Slavery was permitted and regulated, true. We are all slaves to one thing or another and finally to death. How people treated those who were slaves is a matter between them and God.
Frank Apisa wrote:

I have....
Really? Look what He puts up with. Satan is still free to prove his claim about the human race. He delights in the reproach brought upon God by the abominations he has sponsored. Whenever someone points out that this world situation is not God's fault, they face ridicule. I'm not making any apologies for the last six thousand years, Frank. The blame falls on Satan and those who cooperate with him.
Frank Apisa wrote:
...but why go on.

Oh, my! I am damn near in pain from the laughter.

You are so very much in denial.

Hey....take it easy. Your god is a cartoon. He ain't gonna hurt you because deep inside you already realize that I am correct in what I am saying....and that you are merely grasping at straws.

Your god is a cartoon...and he will not punish you for realizing that all you've "believed" is, more than likely, pure fiction...this belief system of yours amounts to little more (perhaps less) than the "belief systems" of young toddlers in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny.

I love when you post, Neo. You are a great, GREAT help to me.

Quote:

Soooo....how'd I do?
Hypothesis contrary to fact, Frank

Keep up the denial...and keep on posting it. I want to get as much mileage out of you as possible.

Quote:
Good job.

Keep up the good work!

You too ole friend. You will never know just how much I needed you here right now. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 03:59 am
Poor, poor Neo.

He is stuck insisting that Adam and Eve knew right from wrong...good from evil....

...even though the story tells us that they didn't....

...and that Neo's god was insistent that they not learn that difference.

But Neo....despite the fact that it is there in black and white....and despite the fact that it is an integral part of the tale...

...is stuck insisting that they did know.

The main reason for Neo insisting that they did know...is so that he does not have to acknowledge that the allegory fails....and that the "punishment" was absurd considering there was nothing that warranted punishment.

Adam and Eve, as the fairytale is told in the Bible, simply did not know there was anything wrong with disobedience.

Poor, poor Neo.

He is stuck with insisting that his god did not make Pharaoh obdurate....

...even though it says in black and white in Bible that his god DID make Pharaoh obstinate and obdurate.

The main reason Neo must insist that the god did not make Pharaoh obstinate and obdurate...which the god actually brags about doing...

....is so that he does not have to acknowledge that this fairytale....like the Eden fairytale....

...fails and that Neo's god is a dick for torturing the people of Egypt and for killing all the firstborn.

Poor, poor Neo!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:55 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

Give it a rest, Frank.

That'll be the day!

Quote:

Eve knew that your god had told her not to eat of its fruit. She, nor Adam, knew there was anything wrong with disobeying. Your god had set them up. He denied them the knowledge of right and wrong...good and evil. THAT IS THE POINT OF THE STORY.

Good grief...how can you people be in such incredible denial? Can you actually be that afraid of a cartoon?

Quote:

YES, Life...they DID know that your god told them not to eat of it. BUT SINCE THEY DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL AND BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG...

...they did not know it was wrong to disobey.

IT IS A PART OF THE STORY, Life.

Wake the hell up!

Frank,

Eve knew they had been told not to eat of the tree and knew there was a severe consequence if they did. They understood this completely.

It is a ridiculous semantic dodge to say they did not know it was wrong.

The tree of knowledge of good and evil was not the tree of knowledge of right and wrong.

The word "know" , as we have discussed, carried several meanings in the Old Testament just as it does today. In the very next chapter (there were no chapter divisions in the ancient texts, those were added in the Middle Ages) the word "know" is used to indicate sexual imtimacy.

God did not want Adam and Eve to have to experience good AND evil. He wanted only good for them. He had pronounced them "very good" when He made them.

But I know, Frank, you favor a rigid literal interpretation because it sometimes supports your bias. It is interesting how quickly you abandon it when it does not favor you.

Adam and Eve knew they were doing wrong, Frank. That is the point of the story.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:01 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Poor, poor Neo.

He is stuck insisting that Adam and Eve knew right from wrong...good from evil....

...even though the story tells us that they didn't....

...and that Neo's god was insistent that they not learn that difference.

But Neo....despite the fact that it is there in black and white....and despite the fact that it is an integral part of the tale...

...is stuck insisting that they did know.

The main reason for Neo insisting that they did know...is so that he does not have to acknowledge that the allegory fails....and that the "punishment" was absurd considering there was nothing that warranted punishment.

Adam and Eve, as the fairytale is told in the Bible, simply did not know there was anything wrong with disobedience.

Poor, poor Neo.

He is stuck with insisting that his god did not make Pharaoh obdurate....

...even though it says in black and white in Bible that his god DID make Pharaoh obstinate and obdurate.

The main reason Neo must insist that the god did not make Pharaoh obstinate and obdurate...which the god actually brags about doing...

....is so that he does not have to acknowledge that this fairytale....like the Eden fairytale....

...fails and that Neo's god is a dick for torturing the people of Egypt and for killing all the firstborn.

Poor, poor Neo!
Is that all, Frank? I thought you would do better. BTW, I wasn't the one who declared that God did not harden Pharaoh's heart. That He did so was obviously a judgment as final as the judgments against Adam and Eve. The lesson that God can and will deliver His people against all odds is still there.

I've finally discovered I am stupid.

Leaving space for you to make a frank comment: Laughing

Leaving more space: Laughing

I'm stupid for thinking that the bible can be used to make points with someone who believes the bible is myth.

Whenever I make the point, you myth the point. Laughing Laughing Laughing

After all, look at all the preachers who say they think the bible is myth.
Not to mention the preachers who use scripture as an excuse for moral license.
Or cruelty.
Even good old Martin:
"The hand that wields the secular sword is not a human hand but the hand of God. It is God, not man, who hangs and breaks on the wheel, and decapitates, and flogs; it is God who wages war." - Martin Luther

Even a guy as smart as he forgot who is the god of this world. (John 14:30)

I really hope it is only your head that is hard, Frank; and that God never decides it is time to harden your heart as well.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 04:32 pm
real life wrote:
Frank,

Eve knew they had been told not to eat of the tree and knew there was a severe consequence if they did. They understood this completely.

I defy you to produce a biblical passage that backs that up.

I have already given the passages that show Adam and Eve DID NOT KNOW right from wrong....good from evil.

Quote:

The whole story is ridiculous. But the story is about a god refusing to give his human creations the knowledge of good and evil. It is absurd to suggest they knew they were doing wrong...when they did not know what "wrong" was....or how it differed from "right."

Quote:

The tree of knowledge of good and evil was not the tree of knowledge of right and wrong.
In the fairytale, it was the information they needed to descerne right from wrong.

Wake the hell up.

Quote:
The word "know" , as we have discussed, carried several meanings in the Old Testament just as it does today. In the very next chapter (there were no chapter divisions in the ancient texts, those were added in the Middle Ages) the word "know" is used to indicate sexual imtimacy.

We are not discussing whether or not Adam or Eve f****ed the tree. We are discussing whether or not they knew right from wrong.

The fairytale indicates they didn't.

Quote:

God did not want Adam and Eve to have to experience good AND evil. He wanted only good for them. He had pronounced them "very good" when He made them.

If that were the case...your god would never have put them in a situation that any 5 year old could predict to conclusion!

Quote:
But I know, Frank, you favor a rigid literal interpretation because it sometimes supports your bias. It is interesting how quickly you abandon it when it does not favor you.

No it isn't...but you obviously are too afraid of your demon god to ever see that.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 07:30 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:
Frank,

I have already given the passages that show Adam and Eve DID NOT KNOW right from wrong....good from evil.

Quote:

The whole story is ridiculous. But the story is about a god refusing to give his human creations the knowledge of good and evil. It is absurd to suggest they knew they were doing wrong...when they did not know what "wrong" was....or how it differed from "right."

Quote:

In the fairytale, it was the information they needed to descerne (sic) right from wrong.

Wake the hell up.

Quote:

We are not discussing whether or not Adam or Eve f****ed the tree. We are discussing whether or not they knew right from wrong.

The fairytale indicates they didn't.

Quote:

If that were the case...your god would never have put them in a situation that any 5 year old could predict to conclusion!

Quote:

No it isn't...but you obviously are too afraid of your demon god to ever see that.
If they had loved their creator, they would have obeyed him without hair splitting definitions of what is evil and what is bad and what is wrong. Their consciences told them it was wrong. Why do you think they covered themselves? Next you'll be telling us it depends on what your definition of is is.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 09:05 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

Gen 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 10:06 pm
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:

Gen 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:

Yeah, what you said.
0 Replies