Okay...let's see...where was I...

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:18 am
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

There is a mountain of stuff that cannot be known.

To state that something cannot be known would require Omniscience. Are you omniscient, Frank?

A question like this from someone like you...who pretends to know what the nature of REALITY is...to someone like me who acknowledges that he does not know nor can he make a meaningful guess from the evidence available.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta be shytin' me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a mountain of stuff that cannot be know.

No omniscience needed to make that statement.

Grow a brain...then come back. It will be more fun.

To state "I do not know" as in the first part of your post, is quite reasonable.

To assert "It cannot be known" , as in the second part, would require Omniscience and is self contradictory.

First of all...I did not assert "It cannot be known."

I asserted that there is a mountain of stuff that cannot be known.

To assert that one must be omniscient in order to make that assertion...is so ludicrous, I am surprised even a theist would try to get away with it.

Quote:
Get it?

I got it long ago. I wish you would get up to speed and "get it" also.

Quote:
I know you do. But it is difficult for you to see the Sacred Cow of the Agnostics fall so hard.

And what would that "sacred cow" be???

You guys make me laugh. You are being blown out of the water on every point raised...and here you are claiming victory.

No wonder you are a theist. You have absolutely no sense of reality.

Quote:
Without Unknowability as your defense, what are you left with?

Well...since I never assert "unknowability" in any of my agnostic arguments....what is your point?

Quote:
I dunno.

On that...we are in complete agreement. You truly do not know.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:02 pm
I don't quite see where the joke about reading Hegel in the original german in order to understand Frank's position came from...

With this thing on knowing if something is impossible, I'm reminded of St. Augustine fumbling over how you can think the thought of forgetting in his Confessions. The portrayal of an idea is not the meaning of the idea itself. It is a reference, not an occurance of it. Thus, thinking forgetting does not cause one to immediately forget the thought. It is possible to state that something is impossible to know.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 05:41 pm
sorry about my joke
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:40 pm
Thalion wrote:
It is possible to state that something is impossible to know.

Obviously it is possible to state such. Frank stated it. That much is plain.

However, stating it does not make it so.

The Sacred Cow of the Agnostics is their assertion of Unknowability.

To accurately assert that "such and such cannot be known" , (for example as in a statement such as "It is not possible to know if there is a God.") would require that the one stating it is omniscient.

i.e. he would have to have full knowledge of all that is known and full knowledge of all that is possible to know if he were to accurately assert the absence and the impossibility, in anything that exists or can exist, of the possibility of knowing the thing.

The Agnostic's position of Unknowability is therefore contradictory. First , because the one stating the position does not have the condition (Omniscience ) required to accurately maintain it; and second -- if he was Omniscient then obviously he would not have to be agnostic ( a- "not" gnosis - " to know" ) about anything.

The Agnostic vainly asserts "I don't know, but I know it can't be known. " We will accept the first part, i.e. that he does not know, and leave it at that.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 09:18 pm
Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and Godel's Incompleteness Theorem both clearly demonstrate that there are things that are simply un-knowable. This knowledge is quite concrete.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:58 pm
Thalion wrote:
Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and Godel's Incompleteness Theorem both clearly demonstrate that there are things that are simply un-knowable. This knowledge is quite concrete.
If God exists, His existence should be obvious and explainable even to the most unsophisticated. (Compare Matthew 11:25) When we overintellectualize, we risk overlooking.

If what we are told about Jesus is true, he certainly was a genius able to understand the most recondite concepts. Yet he used words, expressions, and situations common to the people to whom he was talking. What part of 'love your neighbor as yourself' don't we understand?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:10 am
Know that nothing is absolutely certain.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 12:51 am
Neologist says If God exists, His existence should be obvious and explainable even to the most unsophisticated. (Compare Matthew 11:25) When we overintellectualize, we risk overlooking.

Is Neologist offering this as proof of his non-existence? I would accept that, more or less.

The cheeseparing nature of the above argument is somewhat beside the point. Agnostics can moderate what they say to: 'In the light of my (meagre) knowledge, this is unknowable, I and many others cannot see a way in which it can be known.' They tend to say that it is unknowable but the provisos are there, surely. They don't preclude a state in which it could be known. That's the essence of agnosticism, IMHO (proviso well in place).
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:18 am
real life wrote:
Thalion wrote:
It is possible to state that something is impossible to know.

Obviously it is possible to state such. Frank stated it. That much is plain.

However, stating it does not make it so.

The Sacred Cow of the Agnostics is their assertion of Unknowability.

To accurately assert that "such and such cannot be known" , (for example as in a statement such as "It is not possible to know if there is a God.") would require that the one stating it is omniscient.

i.e. he would have to have full knowledge of all that is known and full knowledge of all that is possible to know if he were to accurately assert the absence and the impossibility, in anything that exists or can exist, of the possibility of knowing the thing.

The Agnostic's position of Unknowability is therefore contradictory. First , because the one stating the position does not have the condition (Omniscience ) required to accurately maintain it; and second -- if he was Omniscient then obviously he would not have to be agnostic ( a- "not" gnosis - " to know" ) about anything.

The Agnostic vainly asserts "I don't know, but I know it can't be known. " We will accept the first part, i.e. that he does not know, and leave it at that.

No agnostic worthy of the name agnostic would assert that it can't be known.

I've explained that several times now....but since you are being blown out of the water on every issue you deal with, you are pretending that agnostics say that in order to pretend that you are making a reasonable point.

"Unknowability" is not a sacred cow of agnosticism...AND IT IS NOT EVEN SOMETHING AN AGNOSTIC WOULD ASSERT.

Anything MAY be unknowable...but no agnostic worth his/her salt would assert "unknowability" the way you are charging.

Acknowledge that you are all wet on this notion. It will be good for your karma.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:35 am
Clary wrote:
Neologist says If God exists, His existence should be obvious and explainable even to the most unsophisticated. (Compare Matthew 11:25) When we overintellectualize, we risk overlooking.

Is Neologist offering this as proof of his non-existence? I would accept that, more or less.

The cheeseparing nature of the above argument is somewhat beside the point. Agnostics can moderate what they say to: 'In the light of my (meagre) knowledge, this is unknowable, I and many others cannot see a way in which it can be known.' They tend to say that it is unknowable but the provisos are there, surely. They don't preclude a state in which it could be known. That's the essence of agnosticism, IMHO (proviso well in place).
I was offering my 2 cents (hardly worthless) in response to Thalion's display of erudition.

That one may multiply a logic 101 proposition into a PhD (Piled higher and Deeper) thesis has been amply demonstrated by our a2k peers. I've even been there and done that myself.

I've said this before in a thread not far away:

The priest claims a special relationship with God to gain power over the common folk and deliver them to the king.

Thus,
Denis Diderot wrote:
Mankind will never truly be free until the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Should someone dare preach the simplicity of God's message, he must be prepared to face the consequences.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:25 pm
Frank: Did one of your posts get deleted? I could have sworn there was another one. I wish the moderators would let us know that they're doing these things so I don't think I'm insane later.

Clary: Sorry I didn't respond to your P.M.: I still haven't been deemed worthy of the privilege.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 03:44 pm
Taliesin181 wrote:
Frank: Did one of your posts get deleted? I could have sworn there was another one. I wish the moderators would let us know that they're doing these things so I don't think I'm insane later.

Yeah...Tal. In fact, two were. And the thread was locked for a while.

I agree with you. If the moderators decide to delete a post (that certainly is their right)....they at least could work out a way to notify everyone in the thread (particularly the person who's post is being deleted) that a post was deleted.

But...that doesn't seem to be the way things work.

If you have any pull here...perhaps we could get that changed!
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:09 pm
Two posts? What did they say? I don't remember your posts saying anything particularly offensive since the last time they locked this thread.

Alas, I don't even have P.M. privileges, yet. But...let's give it a try.

Moderators: I realize you must all be extraordinarily busy, but if, in the future, you could leave a post behind telling us what you did and why, that'd help out a lot. Thanks.
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:19 pm
Regarding "knowability", I was simply saying that the argument that saying that something is impossible to know reflects its own impossibility on itself making the statement impossible does not make sense. I believe that everything is knowable. This might sound like it contradicted my post that refered to Heisenberg and Godel, but as long as you were treating reality in a Newtonian fashion (things are corporeally real or corporeally unreal -- conscioussness plays no role), those two theorems dispute your argument. Any intellectual has to realize that both modern philosophy and modern physics have refuted this Newtonian notion of the world. Hegel does a good job of refuting Skepticism in his Introduction to the Phenomenology. The meaning of Heisenberg's and Godel's theorems change slightly in a more modern interpretation (Heisenberg - it is not that we don't know the position or velocity, they simply do not exist -- this is in fact the correct interpretation of the theory). So my point (getting there) is that God is knowable, but many common conceptions of God based in a pre-modern framework result in fallacies such as the one I mentioned. The entire omniscience "problem" concerning God is such an example, a rather absurd topic that I debated at length about a year ago before I realized this...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 12:08 am
Thalion wrote:
Regarding "knowability", I was simply saying that the argument that saying that something is impossible to know reflects its own impossibility on itself making the statement impossible does not make sense. I believe that everything is knowable. This might sound like it contradicted my post that referred to Heisenberg and Godel, but as long as you were treating reality in a Newtonian fashion (things are corporeally real or corporeally unreal -- consciousness plays no role), those two theorems dispute your argument. Any intellectual has to realize that both modern philosophy and modern physics have refuted this Newtonian notion of the world. Hegel does a good job of refuting Skepticism in his Introduction to the Phenomenology. The meaning of Heisenberg's and Godel's theorems change slightly in a more modern interpretation (Heisenberg - it is not that we don't know the position or velocity, they simply do not exist -- this is in fact the correct interpretation of the theory). So my point (getting there) is that God is knowable, but many common conceptions of God based in a pre-modern framework result in fallacies such as the one I mentioned. The entire omniscience "problem" concerning God is such an example, a rather absurd topic that I debated at length about a year ago before I realized this...Spell check used for clarity; but still unclear.
I ran this one by Joe Sixpack. He's still lookin' up the words. I submit we are being buried in esoteric utterances of obfuscation, an obscure argot both incomprehensible and irrelevant.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 02:25 am
Can we logically say that anything CANNOT be known? Or does one have to be a god...as Life suggests, to assert such a thing?

My response is….of course we can logically say that certain things "cannot" be known.

I gave an example of one.

If there is nothing to REALITY but what we see and experience here (no god...no spiritual world...no anything besides what is perceived)...we can never KNOW that to be the case.

It is something that is unknowable. Something about which we can only speculate.

That, more than likely, is unchangeable.

There are other things that we cannot know...and which can logically be asserted as "unknowable" when we put them into a time-frame configuration.

We cannot know...at the present time...if there are sentient beings living on any of the planets circling any of the suns in the Andromeda Galaxy.

I guess we could suppose a time in the far distant future where humans will possess the technical know-how to visit other galaxies...(we may never get to the point where we can visit other stars in our own galaxy)...but that is so remote and so speculative....best to stick with the "unknowability" of that info.

In any case, Thal, Life brought this up as part of the straw man he was building to argue against.

He wanted to assert that agnostics have "unknowability"as a "sacred cow" of their agnosticism.

We don't.

In fact, most agnostics explain, as I have repeatedly, that we can no more reasonably assert certain things are "unknowable" than we can assert that they definitely exist...or definitely do not exist.

But Life's arguments have all ended up in the crapper...so I guess all he is left with is to make up stuff...argue against the stuff he makes up...and then derive whatever satisfaction he can from that.

Hey....whatever floats your boat.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:11 am
Decision must be always done under the circumstance of the uncertainty or ignorance about the future.
("Pascal's wager" is a decision theory.)
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 01:20 pm
Not if you're a deontologist and make your decisions without regard to the situation or outcome.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:15 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Can we logically say that anything CANNOT be known? Or does one have to be a god...as Life suggests, to assert such a thing?

My response is….of course we can logically say that certain things "cannot" be known.

I gave an example of one.

If there is nothing to REALITY but what we see and experience here (no god...no spiritual world...no anything besides what is perceived)...we can never KNOW that to be the case.

It is your presumption of the "If there is nothing..." statement as fact rather than opinion (which it is) that kills your argument.

When discussing the entire universe, to argue the ABSENCE of anything is to presume omniscience.

A statement such as "There are green cars with purple spots." would require knowledge of the entirety of creation, which no human possesses.

Likewise a statement such as "There is no knowledge of God." or "There is no possibly that God can be known." or some such variation would also require omniscience.

It is same problem the atheist faces when arguing "There is no God." Such a statement would require omniscience as well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 07:18 pm
Atheists don't argue that there is no god, they assert, quite reasonably, that they do not believe there is a god, because they see no reason to believe as much. Anyone who argues that there is no god is an anti-theist.

You're a glutton for punishment, i swear. What keeps you alive in this alleged debate is your nearly total inability to comprehend what is said to you. I personally attribute that to an addiction to rote answers to all questions.
0 Replies