Okay...let's see...where was I...

Clary

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 01:06 pm
Taliesin181 wrote:
Jeez, you guys are wearing me out.

Thomas: My point was never that there was or wasn't a God. My point was that you can't know, so saying "No, there isn't" is untrue.

As far as your "God = computer virus for the brain" statement goes...I'll agree with that if 'God' is substituted with 'religion', because I think religion is one of the worst things to ever happen to society.

religion does not equal God, however. This is the pitfall I fell into from age 11-ish through 18. I though that since the Christian God made no sense, that therefore there was no God at all. After I learned to dissociate my (or, more accurately, Christianity's" preconceptions about "God", I saw that one religion (or all religions, for that matter) that didn't make sense did not logically mean that there was no God.

From Lola's quotation of the Bible, I think that same pitfall has ensnared you lot. I don't get the problem here. Even if you feel the topic is irrelevant, you should still be able to accept that, even if it seems unlikely to you, that there could be a God of some sort.

Now that's a good and reasonable statement with which I concur.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 03:12 pm
Well, thank you, Clary. I don't think I've ever spoken with you. Are you not a frequent poster on the Philosophy or Spirituality topics?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 05:40 pm
I am a frequent word gamester and a frivolous being, Taliesin81 sir or madam. But philosophy touches us all.

If love can build a bridge, can affection put up a shelf?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 08:38 am
Lola wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean here, wandel......about the difficulty of empirical knowledge demonstrated by Newton's question about the source of gravity. So I don't know if I agree with you or not.

I am sorry to bring this up again. (Only Frank can tell us whether it pertains to his topic.) Isaac Newton was unhappy that the particles responsible for gravitational force could not be observed. Modern physicists have named the particle "graviton" but have not been able to prove the existence of such a particle. The agent of gravity is still unknown but no one disputes the existence of gravity itself.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:24 am
wandeljw wrote:
Lola wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean here, wandel......about the difficulty of empirical knowledge demonstrated by Newton's question about the source of gravity. So I don't know if I agree with you or not.

I am sorry to bring this up again. (Only Frank can tell us whether it pertains to his topic.) Isaac Newton was unhappy that the particles responsible for gravitational force could not be observed. Modern physicists have named the particle "graviton" but have not been able to prove the existence of such a particle. The agent of gravity is still unknown but no one disputes the existence of gravity itself.

Not sure of your point.

Sure gravity exists....and did exist in Newton's time.

What does that have to do with whether or not anyone can logically say "There is a God" or "There are no gods."
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:28 am
sorry, frank

(i was not trying to relate this to theism, only to the general philosophical problem of what can or can not be known)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 10:05 am
No problem

There is a mountain of stuff that cannot be known.

At times...it makes lots of sense to simply make an estimate or guess as to particular items that fall into that category.

I certainly see the problem with being too enamoured of "empirical evidence"...but going the other direction can have its pitfalls also.

In the particular question at hand..."Is atheism philosophically superior to agnosticism?"....I think the agnostic position is MUCH superior to both theism and atheism.

And the empirical evidence is way too ambiguous for the kinds of guesses theists and atheists are making.

(And of course, I see theism as a menace to society and the universe....so I would like it to be challenged at every turn. I think agnoticism does a more logical job of that then does atheism.)
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 12:57 pm
Clary: If a picture says a thousand words, do a thousand words make a picture?

I'll bid you adieu, madame, and hope to see you 'round this wide, whimsical, world wide web. Smile

Frank: I've been busy these last few days. What was decided about agnosticism vs. atheism? Was it the standard "agree to disagree", or was there something more concrete?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 02:32 pm
Taliesin181 wrote:

I'll bid you adieu, madame, and hope to see you 'round this wide, whimsical, world wide web. Smile

Frank: I've been busy these last few days. What was decided about agnosticism vs. atheism? Was it the standard "agree to disagree", or was there something more concrete?

Concrete as tapioco.

Theists and atheists are both guessers....and most like to pretend their guesses are knowledge.

Atheism will never rise to the intellectual or ethical level of agnosticism.

But I suspect you know that, Tal. :wink:
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 02:53 pm
Frank: Indeed I do. It baffles me that some people who are normally intelligent can say 'Ultimately, we can't really know anything' in one breath, and then say 'Oh, but I know there's no God' in the next. Crazy. I guess I'll be enjoying pudding until the next round of religious warfare.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 03:07 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Lola wrote:

This has a certain level of explanatory power...George Bush is constantly being bombarded by goditrons! Can you just imagine the racket inside his skull? And that harried look...he's likely up in the middle of the night running about hither and thither on the WH lawn, "But Laura, what...what if I miss one!?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 03:11 pm
i am glad my trivia was of some use in this discussion!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 09:00 pm
yawn.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 11:22 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

To state that something cannot be known would require Omniscience. Are you omniscient, Frank?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:32 am
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

To state that something cannot be known would require Omniscience. Are you omniscient, Frank?

A question like this from someone like you...who pretends to know what the nature of REALITY is...to someone like me who acknowledges that he does not know nor can he make a meaningful guess from the evidence available.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta be shytin' me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a mountain of stuff that cannot be know.

No omniscience needed to make that statement.

Grow a brain...then come back. It will be more fun.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 04:11 am
Taliesin181 wrote:

That gives me a really great idea for an art project, comme ça:

http://www.blindvision.net/bodysense/images/word.jpg
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:06 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
real life wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

A question like this from someone like you...who pretends to know what the nature of REALITY is...to someone like me who acknowledges that he does not know nor can he make a meaningful guess from the evidence available.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You gotta be shytin' me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a mountain of stuff that cannot be know.

No omniscience needed to make that statement.

Grow a brain...then come back. It will be more fun.

To state "I do not know" as in the first part of your post, is quite reasonable.

To assert "It cannot be known" , as in the second part, would require Omniscience and is self contradictory.

Get it?

I know you do. But it is difficult for you to see the Sacred Cow of the Agnostics fall so hard.

Without Unknowability as your defense, what are you left with? I dunno.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:07 pm
Clary: That looks really good; maybe you could go even further and have the words comprise the entire picture, not just the foreground. You could probably achieve it by coloring the words and arranging them to look like your desired object.

Do the words you use have a common theme? If so, what is it? That'd be very impressive: inverting a common phrase and having the theme you want to express shape the picture, not the other way around.

Hope to hear from you later.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 02:19 pm
Clary: I just enlarged the picture and found the biblical theme. Embarrassed Nice work.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 07:24 am
To fully understand Frank's position, I would recommend reading Hegel in the original German. There are terms such as "Geisteswissenschaften" that lose their nuances when translated.
0 Replies