Is fat unattractive?

HofT

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:39 am
Slappy - the statistics flatly contradict the "cold weather" theory; fattest state in the nation is Mississipi....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:40 am
Mississipi probably also ranks as a top inbreeding state.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:48 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
If you're in America, I really don't know how you don't constantly see fat people.

"I see fat people...and they're EVERYWHERE!"

Yup...sad but true...
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 07:56 am
I'm in the Midwest. I see fat people.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:32 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
HofT: you must not be tuned into fat. You met me about a month ago and I'm as fat as a White Poland Hog, about forty axhandles around the waist with a pasty reddish helmet-like head duck-taped onto a trashcan shaped torso.

You want to see fat people? Go look at the line waiting to take the tour of the Statue of Liberty. There's America for you. One dumpy lump of humanity after another, holding a water bottle in one hand and a bag of garlic pork rinds in the other. Not a tee-shirt tucked in in the bunch. If you held up the average pair of shorts, you'd think you were looking at a nice set of kitchen curtains until you realized those were belt loops at the top.

And if you don't want to see fat people then don't go near the Empire State Building and don't gaze upon the upper deck of that big red tour bus cruising down Broadway.

But if you really want to see fat, then go to the Yankee Stadium on a Friday night and watch the sports fans, a beer in each hand, try to squeeze their butts into the spaces designated on their ticket stubs. "Sorry, fella, but you're are in Seat 21, not 20 and 21." and twenty-three, but who's counting?

Or, my personal favorite, go to any street fair in the city. There amongst the sausage sandwich booths, the giro-giro-GIRO! sellers and the chuchifrito stands you will see examples of immense density, hips that should be flagged "wide load", bellies that belie belief and asses that stretch the limits of the word preponderance.

Oh, yeah, we fat.

Joe(Excuse me, sir or madam, you're blocking the block.)Nation

PS

oh. and oh yeah, I forgot, and all of them are worthy of love.
When I visited Lady Liberty, everybody there looked skinny, "it was like I was at a fashion show."
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:40 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
The best part about fat people, is they don't have feelings, so you can openly mock and make fun of them all you want!
Do you want a Spankin Slappy?
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:45 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
If you're in America, I really don't know how you don't constantly see fat people.

"I see fat people...and they're EVERYWHERE!"

I have a theory, regarding why so many women in my age-range(20's) have fat asses in Boston. It's the "cold climate theory." Women who live in places that have cold winters, like Boston, Chicago, NY, have fatter asses because they're not flaunting their bodies year round like they do in FL, CA, ect.

Women in hotter climates know enough to starve themselves, or at least develop a strong coke habit to keep those pounds off and those asses tight.
I live in Florida, and I see fat people everywhere.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 10:06 pm
I love you Constitutional Girl - (not love, like love - so don't get worried) - I just mean you're a joy to read on this forum. You add levity whenever you show up.

*That is of course unless you're ever serious....
0 Replies

rosestems22

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:42 pm
so, wow. I read this whole thing and i have to laugh. One, fat people are everywhere, but so are tiny skeleton that walk around in shorts that fall off when they move too quickly. I would date a fat guy, but probably wouldn't marry him. Sorry, I probably wouldn't mary a really skinny guy. He has to be "just right". heehee. I live in Miami, Florida and thats were all the skinny, tanned girls and guys are supposed to live. Nope, sorry. There are more fat paper white ashy people than thin attractive ones. And whats kind of sad is that they wear the same size bathing suits as the people half their size. heehee. it's an interesting sight. and the image i can't get out of my head while reading this discussion is in the movie lilo and stitch where she takes pictures of the fat white tourists.
When i went to japan there were a lot of fat people there too. They are supposed to have fast matabalism and some of them were huge. But of course that is the counrty with the sumo wrestlers.

And just to get a clear idea of what you guys consider fat, let me ask you a ?:

My sister is 5'9", 36D chest, and 170 lbs. her 'shape' is 36, 28, 39 Is that fat to you guys?

~Lexii Ann
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:45 pm
5'9, 170....I'd probably consider her fat. It's overweight.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:53 pm
<sigh>

I have to ask. Slappy, is 5'5" and 145 overweight?
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:07 pm
Did you actually calculate her body mass, slappy, or are you just reacting to the sound of the number 170? On 5'9", 170 could easily look just fine. It's pretty widely acknowledged now that weight really is not a good way of determining much. How much of it is muscle mass? I repeat, I was about 5'8" or 5'9" and 165, and I still looked gawky. It depends on the person, not the numbers.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:17 pm
littlek wrote:
<sigh>

I have to ask. Slappy, is 5'5" and 145 overweight?

It might be slightly more than optimum, but it could still be quite attractive, depending on.......various factors.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:25 pm
by the by, littlek, don't ask these dinkuses for their opinion on your weight! they're probably big ol' computer dweebs like Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons, with no concept of real life women. I wouldn't go by what they say! Wink
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:37 pm
dora17 wrote:
by the by, littlek, don't ask these dinkuses for their opinion on your weight! they're probably big ol' computer dweebs like Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons, with no concept of real life women. I wouldn't go by what they say! Wink

Yes, I'm sure you've posted 191 times in two months because you're real life is so full.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:39 pm
dora, I'm not judging myself, I'm asking Slappy to judge the ratio. He's met me, if he has any balls, he'll answer truthfully about whether he thinks I'm fat or not.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:45 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
dora17 wrote:

Yes, I'm sure you've posted 191 times in two months because you're real life is so full.

I'm trying to post a lot so I'll get some respect and be taken seriously around here! I could tell as soon as I got here that ya gotta have the posts before you'll get the respect. Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:52 pm
dora - really?
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:37 am
The BMI tables are here:
http://www.bcbst.com/MPManual/HW.htm

Health insurers start calculating an extra premium for overweight after about a BMI of 20; anybody of BMI 25 (e.g. a 5 ft 9 in woman weighing 170 lbs) is not only statistically fat, she's borderline obese. Exceptions are made for athletes, because muscle weighs more than fat:

"A person can be overweight without being obese, as in the example of a bodybuilder or other athlete who has a lot of muscle."

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/

A recent study in The Lancet confirmed that obesity is linked with twice the risk of death or severe illness as smoking a pack a day for decades - which accounts for the fact smokers are the most profitable population for insurers, since they have to pay extra premiums in spite of being generally thin, while the obese are individually uninsurable by private industry.

To cheer everybody up, here's an article about the Lancet study in the London Times:

"Evidence that secondary smoking harms health is as scientific as a Ouija board. But that has not prevented it boosting hostility to cigarettes from opinion to legislation. Now government must urgently demonstrate the dangers of secondary fattening.

A threat exists every time I see some svelte young thing consuming chips and imagine that it may be safe for me to eat them too. Such public displays must be outlawed. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3284-1654311,00.html
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:33 am
Before anybody asks, I write computer models for corporate risk assessment and management - contingent liabilities for insurance and re-insurance purposes and pension / medical expenses are a huge part of the work.

I don't doubt that fatties exist - all statistical inputs from unimpeachable sources like those I posted above prove it - but I still don't know where they are to be seen. I did look at people lining up to see the Statue of Liberty last time I drove past downtown and agree with Constitutional Girl all of them were thin as rails - maybe it was the time of day, or the heat (98 degrees Fahrenheit in the shade at the time) and the fatties stayed away just then Smile
0 Replies