Is fat unattractive?

Eva

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:23 pm
Really!

Well, from the pictures she has posted, littlek is definitely NOT fat! I'd agree with CJ, she's slim.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:27 pm
You are very welcome littlek. I always loved Popeye's philosophy best I think. "I yam what I yam and that is all that I yam!" Smile

Brandon...get outta town. You're not really 51 are you? I would have guessed much younger personally. :wink:
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 12:21 am
littlek wrote:
So, I'm 'somewhat overweight'? [...]

Ok, I was just pushing you. If you read weight charts, I am at the top end for weight-height ratios for my height (does that make sense?). I am just under 5' 5" and in the upper 140s (most I've ever weighed - yikes!).

No you're not overweight. Even if I'm mean on purpose and assume that "upper 140s" means 150, your body-mass-index computes to 25, which the doctors think is right at the upper bound of "normal". There is also quite a lot of research indicating that even a body-mass-index slightly above 25 wouldn't harm you. And to go back to Constitutional Girl's original post: judging by the pictures you have posted here and there, you are also very handsome. I would kill for being in shape like you -- stop worrying about it right now!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 04:20 am
Lady J wrote:
You are very welcome littlek. I always loved Popeye's philosophy best I think. "I yam what I yam and that is all that I yam!" Smile

Brandon...get outta town. You're not really 51 are you? I would have guessed much younger personally. :wink:

Fraid so. It's all in the profile.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:22 pm
I'm 5'8" and way over 150, this makes me so insecure with myself, when I starve myself I faint, so can't do that, which makes it so hard to lose.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:29 pm
Gotta go with more frequent, smaller means, then CG.

I'm a little heavy for my height. On the other hand, I've been told I'm a little dense, at times, so it's probably okay.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:46 pm
If you're 5'8, you can probably carry some weight CG. Are you big-boned (as my mom used to say)? It's us little petite people who have trouble carrying any extra weight.

Roger's right - small meals, lots of fruits and vegetables, lean protein and water. Starving yourself is counter productive to losing weight.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:48 pm
cg - at 5'8" you are still in the 'normal' range until you weigh more than 163 and aren't considered obese until you weigh 197, or more (per BMI calcs). If you're anywhere near 150 you're doing just fine. Don't starve yourself, just eat healthily and your weight will self adjust to be in the normal range.

You didn't gain weight overnight and trying to lose it overnight will utterly fail. Why don't you join us over on the 'weight loss club' thread on fitness and sports?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5813&start=2470
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:59 pm
Where'd littlek go? (I bet she's at the gym Wink.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:59 pm
Kids who feel fat, skinny may consider suicide
What are we doing to our children? ---BBB

Tuesday, June 7, 2005
Kids who feel fat, skinny may consider suicide

By Lindsey Tanner
The Associated Press

CHICAGO - Suicidal impulses and attempts are much more common in teenagers who think they are too fat or too thin, regardless of how much they actually weigh, a study found.

Using actual body size based on teens' reports of their height and weight, the researchers found that overall, overweight or underweight teens were only slightly more likely than normal-weight teens to have suicidal tendencies.

But teens who perceived themselves at either weight extreme - very fat or really skinny - were more than twice as likely as normal-weight teens to attempt or think about suicide.

The study was based on a nationally representative 2001 survey involving 13,601 students in ninth through 12th grade. The findings appear in the June issue of Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, published Monday.

About 19 percent said they had considered suicide in the past year. About 9 percent said they had attempted it.

About 65 percent of students were in the normal-weight range, but only about 54 percent perceived themselves as "about the right weight." Some thought they weighed too much; others thought they were too thin.

"Suicide ideation was more likely even among students whose perceptions of body size deviated only slightly from about the right weight,'" said the report by lead author Danice Eaton, a researcher at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Because almost half of the students perceived themselves as too thin or too heavy, "these results suggest that a sizable proportion of students may be at increased risk" for suicide, said the report by lead author Danice Eaton, a researcher at the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Perceptions of being very overweight were linked with an increased risk for suicide attempts among whites. But black and Hispanics students who saw themselves as being very overweight were no more likely to say they had attempted suicide than blacks and Hispanics who thought they were about the right weight.

The link between perceptions of being very underweight and an increased risk for suicide attempts existed for whites, blacks and Hispanics alike.

The study did not determine which came first - perceptions of extreme weight or suicidal tendencies. But the results suggest that extreme weight perceptions might be a suicide warning sign.

In an accompanying editorial, Dr. Alain Joffe of Johns Hopkins University said widespread media images of perfect bodies might help shape adolescent perceptions of normal.

But he said it is also possible that adolescents who are already concerned with body image pay more attention to media images.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 07:39 pm
I would not be attracted to man with a bigger ass or boobs than mine.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:15 pm
Sur hope yer not real real skinny, there, Green Witch.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:34 pm
cj - not at the gym. I don't like the gym. Unfortunately.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:36 am
roger wrote:
Sur hope yer not real real skinny, there, Green Witch.

As of yesterday: 5'6' 144lb 36D 38" hips. Neither skinny or fat.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 05:54 am
One would think you'd be quite popular.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:04 am
20 years ago that was true. Now I'm a middle aged, married lady living in the mountains who wears baggy T-shirts and digs in the dirt a lot.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:22 am
Still, your qualifications are impressive.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:01 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

Qualifications for what? oh, never mind.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:19 am
Green Witch wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Qualifications for what? oh, never mind.

Yeah, we wouldn't want compliments to rear their ugly heads in this family forum now would we?
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:44 am
I don't know if I would find very fat people attractive as I hardly ever seem to meet any, and I almost never see anyone really obese. That's astounding if the statistics are correct - between a quarter and a third of all adults in Western countries are supposed to be obese, another quarter or third being overweight. In the Middle East and points East there do seem to be lots of fat women but most of the men are of normal weight.

I never thought about it until I happened on this thread, but now I do wonder: where are the obese people? Not in offices where I work, not in social events I attend, not in airports or shops or restaurants or churches or theaters I frequent.

Once in a long while I do spot an obese person in a supermarket and I quickly move out of their sight as time and time again they've looked me over with pure hatred - reminds me of a friend who watched me eat 2 quarts of Starbucks white chocolate ice cream in 20 minutes and then said:

"When people like you die they will go straight to hell, because you're in paradise in this world!"
0 Replies