Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2020 08:15 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Well that was weird.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 11:58 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I guess the episode was free for the first 24 hours.

Might as well post the trailer.
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sfQehgUUFQ[/YouTube]

That looks wicked funny. Adding it to my HBOMAX watchlist.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 12:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Well that was weird.

Though Quintel's new show is probably not the weirdest show I've seen a trailer for and/or saw advertised online lately.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 01:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm guessing you have seen the trailers for Doom Patrol Season 2 (HBO MAX/DC Universe)

and The Umbrella Academy (Netflix)

Both shows are based on 2 separate comics, though Gerard Way is currently the writer for both series.

And just for fun, here is a weird music video by My Chemical Romance, featuring Umbrella Academy creator Gerard Way (redhead vocalist) and longtime Doom Patrol writer Grant Morrison (bald villain).
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 06:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No. I don't know too much about current live-action DC and Marvel shows. I know a little bit about the new Supergirl series which cane out last year I think - they were talking about it on some talk show.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 06:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

JGoldman10 wrote:

Well that was weird.

Though Quintel's new show is probably not the weirdest show I've seen a trailer for and/or saw advertised online lately.

I think the weirdest new show I've seen advertised for and/or saw a trailer for online lately is a series called Dummy. It's a comedy about talking sex dolls.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 07:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
Supergirl has been on TV for 5 years so far. It has been renewed for a 6th season.

Are you confusing it with DC's new Stargirl series, based on the comic character?

Not to be confused with Disney's Stargirl film, based on the book of the same name.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2020 07:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 03:08 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I think the weirdest new show I've seen advertised for and/or saw a trailer for online lately is a series called Dummy. It's a comedy about talking sex dolls.

This is news to me.

Why are you the only one who knows about stuff like this?

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 03:32 am
@izzythepush,
Admittedly, I have heard of it as they aired commercials on some Hulu shows I watch. However, it is on Quibi, and I have no intention of subscribing.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 06:59 pm
I notice Reb's not commenting on what I said about Dummy.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 08:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
I posted the trailer for Dummy.

What else can I say about the show? I haven't seen it, so I can't comment if it is good or not.

Apparently, the series is based on the creator's relationship with Rick & Morty creator Dan Harmon and his ownership of a sex doll.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 09:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not going to watch it. I can't watch a show like that in good conscience.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 09:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I'm not going to watch it. I can't watch a show like that in good conscience.

So? What was the bloody point in bringing it up in the first place? It has nothing to do 1. Warner Bros.; 2. Disney; or 3. the current TV cartoon market.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 09:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
...but what if Disney decides to start an Adults Only television channel?

What about if Marvell and Warner Bros decide to bring back reel to reel tapes and use this to kick things off?

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 10:23 pm
@Sturgis,
Marvel is owned by Disney not WB. WB owns DC.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 10:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
True, but I was talking about weird TV shows that I've advertised online and/or seen trailers for online recently. That's the only reason O brought the show up.

Close Enough is weird. Dummy is weird.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2020 11:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

True, but I was talking about weird TV shows that I've seen advertised online and/or seen trailers for online recently. That's the only reason O brought the show up.

Close Enough is weird. Dummy is weird.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 03:53 am
From what I can find, the most popular animated series on HBO MAX are:
*Steven Universe
*Regular Show
*Summer Camp Island
*Rick & Morty
*The Boondocks

And on Disney Plus, their most popular animated shows are:
*The Simpsons
*Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
*Star Wars: The Clone Wars
*Phineas & Ferb
*Puppy Dog Pals

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2020 04:07 am
@JGoldman10,
Not many people will watch Dummy, or use Quibi in general.

It is well documented that Quibi is failing to attract an audience. CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg (former Disney Studio head) blamed the COVID-19 outbreak for the service's shortcomings.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/jeffrey-katzenberg-coronavirus-blame-everything-has-gone-wrong-quibi-1294275

Meanwhile, it is reported that Disney Plus experienced a high number of subscriptions on 4th of July weekend, when it premiered the recording of the popular Broadway show Hamilton.
https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/hamilton-disney-plus-premiere-app-downloads-72-percent-1234698795/

0 Replies