edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 12:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Grow okra. Nothing could want that.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 09:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Maybe the way to control locusts is to decide they are good to eat.
mesquite

Reply Tue 20 Aug, 2019 11:45 pm
@rosborne979,
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 06:03 am
Quote:
The research is aimed at finding new ways to prevent disorders caused by genetic mutations that are passed down from men — including some forms of male infertility.

Scientists Attempt Controversial Experiment To Edit DNA In Human Sperm Using CRISPR
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 26 Aug, 2019 07:40 pm
@mesquite,
Give my share to oralloy, thankyou. I had a big breakfast.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Aug, 2019 12:54 pm
Naked And Unafraid: The Secret Lives Of Naked Mole Rats
Quote:
Kenton Kerns, assistant curator of small mammals at The Smithsonian's National Zoo in Washington, DC, says visitors often scurry past their naked mole rat exhibit in disgust. "I always feel like, 'No, come back! Let us tell you what you're running away from,' " he says.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Jewels Vern

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 08:59 am
@tsarstepan,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHGT0DgvhNM

Ancient Egyptians recorded two suns before the one we have now. One was Saturn, the other was Jupiter -- no black hole required!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 03:08 am
This is a very interesting article that starts with tricky plants and moves on to make a point about evolution. Click on link for complete article.

Quote:
How do people learn to cook a poisonous plant safely?

In 1860, Robert Burke and William Wills famously led the first European expedition across the largely unknown interior of Australia.

It did not go well. Due to a combination of poor leadership, bad planning and misfortune, Burke, Wills and their companion John King ran out of food on the return journey.

They became stranded at a stream called Cooper's Creek, having found no way to carry enough water to cross a stretch of desert to the nearest colonial outpost at the unpromisingly named Mount Hopeless.

"We have been unable to leave the creek," wrote Wills. "Both camels are dead and our provisions are done. We are trying to live the best way we can."

The local Yandruwandha people seemed to thrive despite the conditions that were proving so tough for Wills's party.

The Yandruwandha gave the explorers cakes made from the crushed seed pods of a clover-like fern called nardoo.

Burke then fell out with them and, unwisely, drove them away by firing his pistol.

But perhaps the trio had already learned enough to survive? They found fresh nardoo and decided to make their own cakes. At first, all seemed well. The nardoo cakes satisfied their appetites, yet they felt ever weaker.

Within a week, Wills and Burke were dead. It turns out that safely preparing nardoo is a complex process.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48859333
farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 04:29 am
@izzythepush,
When I reqd this it brought back facts about how to prepare ACORNS to make a elicious nut or flour an get rid o all that nasty Cyanogen . Kinda like tapioca root, its an excellent source of your daily requirement of cyanide. Boil the **** out of it and it becomes a delicious pudding that goes well with whipped cream.
When I was doing mil training (I trained sappers to use explosives and field make em), I spent a bit of time in the field living and eating "off the grid". Its amazing how much **** out there is actually ible if only you get rid of alkaloids or cyanide, or know which glands to remove so you dont die from eating certain kinds of animal species (like horned beetles ).

We learned how to test for toxicity and edibility of plants. Animals were a given if we kept up with learning the naughty bits
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 04:54 am
@farmerman,
I wouldn't describe tapioca as delicious, my dad liked it and I was forced to eat it as a kid.

I have heard you can make a coffee substitute out of acorns.

Over here pigs are allowed to roam free during acorn season in the New Forest because they can eat acorns but horses, donkeys and cows can't.

https://www.thenewforest.co.uk/explore/wildlife-and-nature/pigs
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 06:23 am
@izzythepush,
India Says It Has Located Chandrayaan-2 Lander on Moon’s Surface
Hard landing? I wonder how many pieces the vehicle is in right now?
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 09:01 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I wouldn't describe tapioca as delicious, my dad liked it and I was forced to eat it as a kid.

I have heard you can make a coffee substitute out of acorns.
I love pearl tapioca. It makes a pudding that , when served cold ith whippd cream, is a favorite in our family.

Acorn coffee Ive herd of but never have tried it. My tatse for coffee has never been to high anyway. Im more aRussian tea guy,I love the Harney's teas and I seek out Lapshang Souchong teas and puehr.
My mom learned to make Acorn "butter" from her mom. It took a lot of "leaching"( many changes of boiling water) to rid the nuts of the tannin before you grind it into the butter. Its got a flavor similar to hickory nut and the butter is kinda reminiscent of Brazil nuts. so, pretty good. We used to use mostly swamp and black oak, although the black oak was rathr bitter even after leaching
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 09:51 am
@farmerman,
I've never heard of Harney's tea. I have heard of Lapshang Souchong, I don't like it, it reminds me too much of kippers.

I've never heard of puehr either.

Over here tapioca comes in a tin.

https://digitalcontent.api.tesco.com/v1/media/ghs/snapshotimagehandler_569723811.jpeg?h=540&w=540

I'm very traditional in my tastes re tea. I like English Breakfast, (what we call normal tea,) and the occasional mug of Earl Grey.
farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 11:22 am
@izzythepush,
Lapsang has a really smoky taste, which takes lemon and sugar nicely.
I like Earl Grey we grow monarda ( our bergamot) in our garden.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 11:52 am
@farmerman,
Can't take sugar in tea. Never had it and now I just can't stand it. I'm alright with it in coffee or cocoa but that's about it.

Kippers are a type of smoked fish, and that's what LS smells like, (to me at least,) I just can't get over it.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/About/General/2012/4/6/1333722964710/Rows-of-kippers-in-a-smok-008.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&overlay-align=bottom%2Cleft&overlay-width=100p&overlay-base64=L2ltZy9zdGF0aWMvb3ZlcmxheXMvdGctYWdlLTIwMTIucG5n&enable=upscale&s=61d4773e4df3bcaa77a860f63cdbd983
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 02:07 pm
we eat kippers in the UW, (we calls em Blind Robins) .They are typically a brew food (pairs with suds)

Now that you mentioned it, there is a smoked fish smell in Lapsang Souchong, but to me (as a silk road descendent, The taste and aroma is more like a fireplace ash smell. )
More for me .
Puehr tastes kinda like mushroom soil , its very earthy.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2019 04:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Did they send up any tardigrades or other organisms like the Israelis did?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2019 06:33 am
@InfraBlue,
India Spacecraft Located, Condition Unknown
Quote:
India has also earned a reputation for exploring space on the cheap. The total cost of this Chandrayaan-2 mission is expected to be about $140 million – less than what it cost Hollywood to make the space exploration movie Interstellar.