Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:01 am
Quote:
Newsweek ADMITTED they did not do a good enough job in verifying the facts. You need MORE THAN ONE SOURCE to go forward with that kind of story. They failed miserably.

I want investgative journalists to VERIFY THE FACTS and not rush to press. Newsweek does not know the TRUTH in this matter, they have a suspision. You do NOT go to press based upon "I hope we got it right!"

So, you're not allowed to write about things to which you have a single source?

Are you serious?

Newsweek didn't say 'this happened.' They quoted a source who says this happened. Then the source, under political pressure, said he couldn't recall which document he had read the information in, though he DID recall reading it.

You may recall Woiyo that our march to war in Iraq, and our WMD information (that was presented as FACT to the American people) was primarily based upon testimony from 'curveball,' an ex-Iraqi who turned out to be completely unreliable as pretty much everything he said was false. Yet, that source was enough to justify the President's claims of WMD in Iraq to the American people; are you claiming that we hold the President to a lower standard than journalists?

Ridiculous! The fact is that in many cases with investigative reporting, it is impossible to find corrobarating sources on sensitive issues. You are seeking, Woiyo, to choke off the freedom of the press to investigate and report on 'secret' issues. This is a greater threat to America than the terrorists.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:02 am
See my post on page three for information as to the other sources that corrobarate this story, not just the Newsweek article, btw.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:07 am
At first I thought this would be a great event to bring both sides together. Apparently I over rated the event.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:09 am
Quote:

Newsweek's version of this story has varied from the others over the last two years - ones in The Philadelphia Inquirer, The Washington Post, and British and Russian news organizations - only in that it quoted a government source who now says he didn't have firsthand knowledge of whether or not the investigation took place (oops, sorry, shoulda mentioned that, buh-bye). ...

Whatever I smell comes from this odd sequence of events: Newsweek gets blasted by the White House, apologizes over the weekend but doesn't retract its story. Then McClellan offers his Journalism 101 outdoor seminar and blasts the magazine further. Finally, just before 5 PM Monday, the Dan Rather drama replaying itself in its collective corporate mind, Newsweek retracts.

I'm always warning about the logical fallacy - the illusion that just because one event follows another, the latter must have necessarily caused the former. But when I wondered tonight on Countdown if it applied here, Craig Crawford reassured me. "The dots connect."

[.........................]

Or would somebody rather play politics with this? The way Craig Crawford reconstructed it, this one went similarly to the way the Killian Memos story evolved at the White House. The news organization turns to the administration for a denial. The administration says nothing. The news organization runs the story. The administration jumps on the necks of the news organization with both feet - or has its proxies do it for them.

That's beyond shameful. It's treasonous.

It's also not very smart. While places like the Fox News Channel (which, only today, I finally recognized - it's the newscast perpetually running on the giant video screens in the movie "1984") ask how many heads should roll at Newsweek, it forgets in its fervor that both the story and the phony controversy around it are not so cut-and-dried this time.

Firstly, the principal reporter on the Gitmo story was Michael Isikoff - "Spikey" in a different lifetime; Linda Tripp's favorite journalist, and one of the ten people most responsible (intentionally or otherwise) for the impeachment of Bill Clinton. Spikey isn't just a hero to the Right - the Right owes him. Ultimately, though, the administration may have effected its biggest mistake over this saga, in making the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs look like a liar or naïf, just to draw a little blood out of Newsweek's hide. Either way - and also for that tasteless, soul-less conclusion that deaths in Afghanistan should be lain at the magazine's doorstep - Scott McClellan should resign. The expiration on his carton full of blank-eyed bully-collaborator act passed this afternoon as he sat reeling off those holier-than-thou remarks. Ah, that's what I smelled.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:11 am
McGentrix wrote:
At first I thought this would be a great event to bring both sides together. Apparently I over rated the event.

A glaring example of how Bush, quite rather than being a "Great Uniter"(anyone remember that?) has divided the country so greatly he makes Dick Nixon look like a piker.

Regardless of his intentions, or whether he's a liar or not, this alone makes him a miserable failure IMO.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:12 am
woiyo wrote:
Quote:
Drinking again???

This has NOTHING to do with drinking! And, since I certainly do not have any kind of drinking problem....are you factually innacurate? Are you lying? Are you being arrogant?

Quote:
This has NOTHING to do with Bush. This has everyting to do with Journalism 101. VERIFY THE FACTS!!!

Did you verify your facts woiyo?

You provide very weak and emotional arguements and still expect to be taken seriously. Shocked
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:13 am
Re: Dys
eoe wrote:
And what was that being debated just a page or so ago about the present administration lying to the people? All day long.

Prove it.

Oh, nevermind. You can't, and you won't even try.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:14 am
Intrepid wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
And what was Newsweeks intent if it wasn't an intense desire to publish a story that would embarrass the Bush Administration? I don't think they lied any more than Bush lied. If they knew the story was false, however, then they lied. If they just weren't sure, and were only relying on an unnamed "senior government official, it was just sloppy reporting, which calls into question their journalistic standards.
[/b]

If George W. Bush knew the story about WMD's was false, however, then he lied. If Bush just wasn't sure, and was only relying on an unnamed "senior government official, it was just sloppy leadership, which calls into question his leadership standards.

Bear in mind that the only way to prove absolutely whether WMD existed was to invade and inspect, as was done. Saddam wasn't cooperating with UN inspectors. It would have been poor leadership to take the word of a murderous tyrant, and ignore the intelligence reports that indicated Iraq had WMD.

In contrast, Newsweeks publishing the story was not intended to ferret out the truth and safeguard the nation. It was intended to try and embarrass the Bush Administration.

But surely you saw that distinction.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:18 am
Quote:
In contrast, Newsweeks publishing the story was not intended to ferret out the truth and safeguard the nation. It was intended to try and embarrass the Bush Administration.

But surely you saw that distinction.

Haven't you realized that when the Administration is the one ordering such abuses, the two are one and the same?

Fighting against the Bush admin., using the TRUTH as a weapon, IS safeguarding our nation.

I know some of you rabid republicans won't go to this link but I dare you to; there are over ten sources alleging abuse of the Koran other than the newsweek article that are easily available. This, combined with the statements of the CIC of Afghanistan, show that Newsweek isn't responsible for these riots; those who abuse the Koran are.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/5/17/104253/423

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:18 am
Tico,
Do you have proof that Newsweek's intention was to try and embarrass the Bush Administration?

After all, Newsweek would have more to lose that a little embarrassment to a president who can quite capably embarrass himself with very little effort.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:20 am
No one think about the Downing Street Memo.

Everyone concentrate on Newsweek.

Don't get distracted with the Downing Street Memo.

We wouldn't want anyone to know about the Downing Street Memo.

Talk about Newsweek. ALOT!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:22 am
smoke and mirrors baby!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:23 am
Quote:
In which I get really angry and yell a lot

So now there's a bunch of right-wingers who are pitching the desecrated Koran riot story with the line "Newsweek Lied, People Died."

Get it? It's funny, because it's making fun of what all the anti-war people said when 1,700 Americans were killed based on lies they were warned about but didn't listen to. What, don't you have a ******* sense of humor?

This isn't even not caring. It's beyond not caring. It's taking pride in not caring.

To sit there, and act as if the soldiers were being treated as liberators and loved without anger until Newsweek came in and screwed it all up- I mean, seriously. Why not just go up to an American serviceman, kick him in the genitals, and then take a **** into his mouth. That's about an equal amount of respect you would have to have for the troops to pass one off like that. American soldiers aren't dying in Iraq because Newsweek printed a bad article. American soldiers are dying in Iraq because American soldiers are in Iraq, you ******* lunatics.

1,700 dead, for the very reason the Bush White House used today to attack a perceived "enemy:"

McClellan complained that the story was "based on a single anonymous source who could not personally substantiate the allegation that was made."
"The report has had serious consequences," he said. "People have lost their lives. The image of the United States abroad has been damaged."

There is absolutely no way Scott McClellan doesn't know what he's saying. There's no way the conservative bloggers don't. That they actually write weblogs indicates the minimum motor and cognitive skills necessary to comprehend the blood-soaked hypocrisy of a statement as devoid of basic human dignity as that.

A faulty report. Unreliable sources. People have died. And who do they want to resign? The editors of Newsweek.

How is that excusable? How is that even ******* forgivable? And how the hell do people like Glenn Reynolds and Jonah Goldberg sleep at night?

Posted by August J. Pollak at 04:25 PM

http://www.xoverboard.com/blogarchive/week_2005_05_15.html#001302

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:35 am
Intrepid wrote:
Tico,
Do you have proof that Newsweek's intention was to try and embarrass the Bush Administration?

After all, Newsweek would have more to lose that a little embarrassment to a president who can quite capably embarrass himself with very little effort.

It strikes me that the motive is very similar to that of CBS when it went with the "Bush Memo" story. When your sources are that weak (uncorroborated, anonymous government official), that is the only motive that makes sense to me. Because in light of exactly what you said -- that Newsweek had a lot to lose when going with this story with such thin support -- I find it hard to believe they were publishing it because they thought it was accurate, and they were after "the truth." The reason Rather and CBS went with the memo story was because they were driven by a strong desire to embarrass Bush. I believe that is the motivation here as well.

And when the "super secret" Newsweek memo that proves my thesis as correct is brought to light, I'll let you know. :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:36 am
Here's another angle I haven't seen posted:

The "based on a single anonymous source ..." is another way for the administration to undercut anonymous sources and try to force journalists to name names. Oh, yeah, no ones been held accountable for Plame's outing even though we KNOW Novak was the one that printed it from an anonymous source. No outrage from any Righties about that, though.

Anyone not willing to be named when quoted will stop talking, hampering the ability of the Press to report what our government is doing. Just what the current administration (and Tico, evidently) wants.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:37 am
Note that the CBS memo was also never disproven. The whole 'Kerning' idea was bullshit.

But once again, we've found that if the RWNM makes enough noise about something and gets indignant, they can confuse the actual issue enough to keep the public from revolting.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:39 am
If this was to happen in Canada, you can bet that there would be pressure brought to bear for the media to identify their source. I am sure it would go before the courts to have the source testify under oath as to their source of the information.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:46 am
Quote:
May 17, 2005, 8:05 a.m.
The Newsweek Riots
A telling error.

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:48 am
That's not the way a free press works, Intrepid.

If it were, there would be no talking by inside sources that want to let the world know the crooked dealings taking place. There would have been no Watergate, no Iran Contra revelations, no understanding of what happened with the crash of the Savings and Loans, etc. There would be no inside information if every source had to risk their job (Life?) in order to let the people know there's wrong doing within the government.

How many major events have broken into the news only because an unnamed source had a conscience?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:49 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

My point is only that a statement that later turns out to be false is not much of an indication that the speaker was lying. It would be very odd if the president were not looking at intelligence reports in the run up to making war. It seems likely that he was, does it not?

Intrepid wrote:
And, what is the range of a SCUD missle? Rolling Eyes

As for the selection of Iraqi missiles I cited, I certainly never claimed that the SCUD had the requisite range. My point was that since Iraq did have missile development programs, the idea that they were making progress was not implausible.

It does seem odd doesn't it? The president claimed they "possessed" missiles and your argument is that they were developing them. Wouldn't the President have noticed a difference between having them and trying to get them? I can clearly see the difference between possessing and wanting to possess.

Face it Brandon, Bush's statement was factually untrue. It was then. It is now. You can duck and jive all you want. The facts remain. There was no clear evidence of Iraq possessing such missiles but Bush clearly claimed that they had them. As you yourself stated. Bush should have looked at the intelligence reports. This was not a case of Bush "guessing" what they might have. I can't find a single report that states what Bush claimed. Either he misread the reports or he intentionally misled in his statement. I highly doubt he misread it. Every report I have read states pretty clearly that Iraq has no known missiles capable of what Bush claimed.
0 Replies