Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 09:12 pm
From the nation's #2 communist propaganda organ:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/15/AR2005051500605_pf.html

Quote:

...Newsweek apologized yesterday for an inaccurate report on the treatment of detainees that triggered several days of rioting in Afghanistan and other countries in which at least 15 people died....

Try picturing what FDR would have done to these suckers had they pulled such a stunt in 1942.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 30,765 • Replies: 802
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 08:30 am
What I don't get is why the Pentagon didn't object to the article when Newsweek ran it past them before publication.

Or, if they felt it was so inflamitory, why they didn't speak out about it for nearly two weeks after it ran.

Obviously, nobody thought the article would lead to this.

To say that Newsweek "lied" is a lie in itself. They reported what they had been told, which is what journalist do. Their source may have lied -- that all remains to be seen.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 08:34 am
Only Bush gets a get out of jail free card for acting on what he's told when it's wrong.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:53 am
It wasn't a lie.

Newsweek is just trying to do the right thing and calm the situation down.

Funny how you're not angry, Gunga, about how Bush's WMD lies led to thousands of deaths in Iraq.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:07 am
Have you considered that the outcome was what the confidential source -- a "senior U.S. government official" was expecting and hoping for?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:10 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It wasn't a lie.

Newsweek is just trying to do the right thing and calm the situation down.

Funny how you're not angry, Gunga, about how Bush's WMD lies led to thousands of deaths in Iraq.

Cycloptichorn

Funny how you can claim Newsweek didn't lie, but Bush did.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:21 am
It seems rather more probable to me that a couple copies of the Koran were flushed down a toilet by our interrogators than WMD being in Iraq...

Given the fact that torture techniques are used on a regular basis, and we've pardoned each and every officer involved with them, I don't find this hard to believe at all; it fits our pattern, yaknow?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:28 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It seems rather more probable to me that a couple copies of the Koran were flushed down a toilet by our interrogators than WMD being in Iraq...

Given the fact that torture techniques are used on a regular basis, and we've pardoned each and every officer involved with them, I don't find this hard to believe at all; it fits our pattern, yaknow?

Cycloptichorn

"...and we've pardoned each and every officer involved with them" Question
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:52 am
Yeah. Do a rundown of the officers accused of overseeing abuse and torture and see if you can find for me how many have been punished at all. I highly doubt you will be able to.

For purposes of clarity, I should note that I am referring to command-level officers; those who, yaknow, oversaw the whole thing but somehow are cleared of blame...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:00 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yeah. Do a rundown of the officers accused of overseeing abuse and torture and see if you can find for me how many have been punished at all. I highly doubt you will be able to.

For purposes of clarity, I should note that I am referring to command-level officers; those who, yaknow, oversaw the whole thing but somehow are cleared of blame...

Cycloptichorn

Your opinion that they "oversaw the whole thing" doesn't hold much water with me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:08 am
What does hold water for you, Tico, other than a half empty glass?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:13 am
Yeah, the US is full of saints and everyone else is a Devil, I getcha Tico, no worries...

I guess you don't believe that the people 'in charge' are actually in charge. There's no concept of personal responsibility amongst Republicans anymore...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:26 am
Intrepid wrote:
What does hold water for you, Tico, other than a half empty glass?

Laughing You are confused, Intrepid. It is the liberals who usually have the "half empty" outlook. Mine's just the opposite. And it is with that that Cyclops takes issue.

(edited to clarify not ALL liberals have a negative outlook)
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:28 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Yeah, the US is full of saints and everyone else is a Devil, I getcha Tico, no worries...

I guess you don't believe that the people 'in charge' are actually in charge. There's no concept of personal responsibility amongst Republicans anymore...

Cycloptichorn

Just because one is "in charge" doesn't in and of itself constitute oversight of his subordinates' misdeeds.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:30 am
No one says they were wrong when they are not.

Newsweeks joins the ranks of other media outlets who rushed a "gotcha" story without fully investigating their "sources.

15 or so people died as a result of there admitted error.

I am all in favor of investigative journalism, however, the editors MUST stress INVESTIGATE!!!!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:33 am
Just an aside...

How does one "FLUSH" a book...ANY BOOK...down a toilet??

Must be a very tiny book or a very large "trap".
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:39 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

They probably ran out of copies of the constitution.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:42 am
Joe, nice zinger

Tico
Quote:
Just because one is "in charge" doesn't in and of itself constitute oversight of his subordinates' misdeeds.

Oh, I believe it does, don't you? What ever happened to being responsible for the conduct of the gentlemen who are beneath you in the chain?

Either the generals ordered the abuse (most likely) or they failed to do the most basic oversight of their troops, which is criminally negligent. That's what responsibility means...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:43 am
Cyclo,

Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski was demoted for failing to oversee Abu Ghraib properly. They never said she did anything to promote it.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/05/abu.ghraib/
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:43 am
Thanks Parados. Guess there's one lamb lead to the sacrifice after all...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies