blatham

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 08:27 pm
Every individual in Abu Ghraib and those in all other such institutions managed openly or secretly by the US do have, one hazards, home countries.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 09:55 pm
blatham wrote:
Every individual in Abu Ghraib and those in all other such institutions managed openly or secretly by the US do have, one hazards, home countries.

Yeah......we'd love to give them back but their home countries won't tale 'em.
Can we send 'em to Vancouver or where ever you now hang your hat?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:20 am
The point being (speaking slowly) that thousands are not released, presumably because the US thinks there is some chance those folks will cause further trouble. As, under the present philosophy, no one caught up in their nets has any fundamental rights whatsoever and, as Halliburton and its salesmen in the Pentagon and administration are happier than a piginshit to build bigger and and more such institutions, then one ought to assume that those folks released (to the hospitals or blown up neighborhoods or home countries where they will be released rather than tortured or held further) are not perceived as members of any terrorist organization.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:53 am
Quote:
From Memos, Insights Into Ally's Doubts On Iraq War
British Advisers Foresaw Variety of Risks, Problems

By Glenn Frankel
Washington Post Foreign Service
Tuesday, June 28, 2005; Page A01

LONDON -- In the spring of 2002, two weeks before British Prime Minister Tony Blair journeyed to Crawford, Tex., to meet with President Bush at his ranch about the escalating confrontation with Iraq, Foreign Secretary Jack Straw sounded a prescient warning.

"The rewards from your visit to Crawford will be few," Straw wrote in a March 25 memo to Blair stamped "Secret and Personal." "The risks are high, both for you and for the Government."

In public, British officials were declaring their solidarity with the Bush administration's calls for elimination of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. But Straw's memo and seven other secret documents disclosed in recent months by British journalist Michael Smith together reveal a much different picture. Behind the scenes, British officials believed the U.S. administration was already committed to a war that they feared was ill-conceived and illegal and could lead to disaster.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/27/AR2005062701584.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:09 am
blatham wrote:
The point being (speaking slowly) that thousands are not released, presumably because the US thinks there is some chance those folks will cause further trouble. As, under the present philosophy, no one caught up in their nets has any fundamental rights whatsoever and, as Halliburton and its salesmen in the Pentagon and administration are happier than a piginshit to build bigger and and more such institutions, then one ought to assume that those folks released (to the hospitals or blown up neighborhoods or home countries where they will be released rather than tortured or held further) are not perceived as members of any terrorist organization.

I'm not following you here blatham. What thousands? The thousands in Iraq? They all have POW status, or criminal status and have been adjudicated through the Iraqi criminal system. -OR- are you speaking of the 500+ still detained in Gitmo that have been identified as unlawful combatants? The latest rounds of investigations have shown that they have it pretty cushy and believe it or not, they have rights.

So, who are the thousands you speak of?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:54 am
McG

I am entirely unconvinced that folks being held in Iraq by either the Iraqis or anyone else are being held according to POW statutes. As to a count, at any given time, of those held in Iraq, Cuba, Afghanistan and whatever other secret locations the CIA/Pentagon have set up...God only knows, but it is surely in the thousands.

The investigations have all been done by the forces who are keeping them. And as I said, I do not believe those forces appraisal of how generous and kind they are being. Cheney's "They are living in the tropics, after all" being a perfect example of the truth-quotient involved.

When they allow the NGOs in and when they allow an independent investigation, I'll begin to trust them. Until then, I'll assume they are doing precisely what any other tin-pot dictator is doing when they disallow independent observers in.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 06:56 am
Oh. You are just ranting. I thought you actually had something to back up your assertions.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:06 am
McGentrix wrote:

I'm not following you here blatham. What thousands? The thousands in Iraq? They all have POW status, or criminal status and have been adjudicated through the Iraqi criminal system. -

Care to provide your evidence to back this up McG?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 07:49 am
According to "Human Rights Watch," captured insurgents are not entitled to POW status unless "found to be members of the former Iraqi armed forces."

Quote:
Captured insurgents are not entitled to be prisoners of war (unless they are found to be members of the former Iraqi armed forces, such as was the case with Saddam Hussein). Such persons are entitled to humane treatment and other protections due under the Fourth Geneva Convention. The rights of such persons, such as not to be mistreated, are often the same as rights POWs enjoy. As noted, they may nonetheless be prosecuted for having taken up arms as well as for committing war crimes or crimes against humanity.

Link.

Whatever their status, they are entitled to humane treatment.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:38 am
Ticomaya wrote:
According to "Human Rights Watch," captured insurgents are not entitled to POW status unless "found to be members of the former Iraqi armed forces."

Didn't know that they decide that now.

Besides, however, Human Right Watch is quoted having said as well:

Quote:
A leading human rights group has criticised the US over the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal and the treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.
In its annual report, Human Rights Watch says that when a country as dominant as the US openly defies the law, it invites others to do the same.
Source:
US 'erodes' global human rights
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:39 am
Openly defies the law?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:43 am
McGentrix wrote:
Openly defies the law?

Well that's what the very same organisation, which according to Tico said [actually I didn't know that they were in charge of such it] reported in it's annual report 2005.

Quote:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:40 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Didn't know that they decide that now.

Decide what now?

Have you reached the conclusion that I suggested HRW can not make a mistake ... or that I endorsed it's conclusions ... or that I thought HRW decided whether captured insurgents are entitled to POW status ... or that I suggested HRW was enamored with the US' treatment of prisoners? I did nothing of the sort.

It was with much trepidation that I cited "Human Rights Watch." And your response is exactly why. But it would be folly to think my doing so was an endorsement of it, because it certainly wasn't. But when HRW acknowledges that captured insurgents are not entitled to POW status, is there any reason to disagree with that conclusion? Do you have a reason to disagree, Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:14 am
Your quoted article refers to
Quote:
Legal Aspects of the Ongoing Fighting in Iraq

Quote:
January 28, 2002
The Honorable Condoleezza Rice
National Security Advisor
The White House
Washington, DC

Dear Ms. Rice, We write concerning the legal status of the Guantanamo detainees. Our views reflect Human Rights Watch's experience of over twenty years in applying the Geneva Conventions of 1949 to armed conflicts around the world. We write to address several arguments advanced for not applying Article 5 of the Third Geneva Convention of 1949, which, as you know, requires the establishment of a "competent tribunal" to determine individually whether each detainee is entitled to prisoner-of-war status should any doubt arise regarding their status. Below we set forth each of the arguments offered for ignoring Article 5 as well as Human Rights Watch's response. we hope the U.S. government will agree to establish the "competent tribunal" required by Article 5 of the Third Geneva Convention for the purpose of determining case by case whether each detainee in Guantanamo is entitled to prisoner-of-war status.

Kenneth Roth
Executive Director Human Rights Watch

Source
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:53 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Your quoted article refers to
Quote:
Legal Aspects of the Ongoing Fighting in Iraq

Quote:
January 28, 2002
The Honorable Condoleezza Rice
National Security Advisor
The White House
Washington, DC

Dear Ms. Rice, We write concerning the legal status of the Guantanamo detainees. Our views reflect Human Rights Watch's experience of over twenty years in applying the Geneva Conventions of 1949 to armed conflicts around the world. We write to address several arguments advanced for not applying Article 5 of the Third Geneva Convention of 1949, which, as you know, requires the establishment of a "competent tribunal" to determine individually whether each detainee is entitled to prisoner-of-war status should any doubt arise regarding their status. Below we set forth each of the arguments offered for ignoring Article 5 as well as Human Rights Watch's response. we hope the U.S. government will agree to establish the "competent tribunal" required by Article 5 of the Third Geneva Convention for the purpose of determining case by case whether each detainee in Guantanamo is entitled to prisoner-of-war status.

Kenneth Roth
Executive Director Human Rights Watch

Source

What is your point, Walter? I asked some specific questions to try and drag it out of you. Surely you know what your point is and can just state it, without just referring to letters written by HRW pertaining to Gitmo, which seem totally irrelevant to the point I was making.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 01:36 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

Quote:
Captured insurgents are not entitled to be prisoners of war (unless they are found to be members of the former Iraqi armed forces, such as was the case with Saddam Hussein). Such persons are entitled to humane treatment and other protections due under the Fourth Geneva Convention. The rights of such persons, such as not to be mistreated, are often the same as rights POWs enjoy. As noted, they may nonetheless be prosecuted for having taken up arms as well as for committing war crimes or crimes against humanity.

Link.

Whatever their status, they are entitled to humane treatment.

The only point I saw was you were refuting this from McG

Quote:
They all have POW status, or criminal status and have been adjudicated through the Iraqi criminal system.

Being treated humanely doesn't give them POW status nor does it adjudicate them through the Iraqi system.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:15 pm
My point: According to HRW, captured insurgents in Iraq are not entitled to be "prisoners of war," but are entitled to humane treatment.

Walter's point (as best I can determine because he hasn't really enunciated one, but forces one to guess): Why is HRW deciding whether prisoners at Guantanamo Bay are entitled to be "prisoners of war."

It doesn't really make much sense, but that's the best I can do without help from Walter.

-----

Parados wrote:
Being treated humanely doesn't give them POW status nor does it adjudicate them through the Iraqi system.

That's true.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:21 pm
Due to American vernacular, many people incorrectly equate humane treament with the Geneva Convention.

A POW, detainee and insurgent can all recieve humane treatment, though not all of them are due the full range of Geneva Convention rights.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:22 pm
I agree: my response is a bit off the mark (and I'm not pointing now to prison ships :wink: ).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 03:41 pm
Lash wrote:
Due to American vernacular, many people incorrectly equate humane treament with the Geneva Convention.

A POW, detainee and insurgent can all recieve humane treatment, though not all of them are due the full range of Geneva Convention rights.

They are all covered under different parts of the Geneva Convention.
The fourth Geneva Convention dealt almost exclusively with human rights.
0 Replies