squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:38 am
All the posts presented over the last several hours and that's what Gunga comments on? Surely we haven't shanged his view...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:38 am
parados wrote:

President Bush wrote:
Iraq possesses ballistic missiles with a likely range of hundreds of miles -- far enough to strike Saudi Arabia, Israel, Turkey, and other nations
White House transcript of the speech The statement was factually false and continues to be factually false. Is a factually false statement a lie or not?

Your question isn't very intelligent, since the answer to it is completely obvious, and not what you say it is. A factually false statement may or may not be a lie. If I go to lunch with friends and say, "Joe will be coming too," but Joe doesn't come. It might be a lie, or it might be my incorrect opinion based on the best sources of information I had.

I would guess that Bush was looking at a lot of intelligence reports from various sources and stating what he believed to be true. It's not as though Iraq has not developed missiles. In 1991 Iraq had 24 Scud launchers and 48 'Al-Hussein' launchers-20 mobile and 28 stationary-and about 400 missiles for these. They had other missiles too. Clearly they did have a development program.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:40 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
... It might be a lie, or it might be my incorrect opinion based on the best sources of information I had.

Your Honor, the Defense rests. Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:43 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Curious that people post bumper stickers that Newsweek lied, but still cling to the premise that George W. Bush is sqeaky clean and did not lie Laughing

"Newsweek" has admitted that they rushed to judgement. Whether one considers that a lie or not is probably a personal choice. The idea that Bush lied is a mantra of the liberals, but when asked to give examples, all you usually get is some evasive remark that doesn't actually prove anything. The way the liberals usually operate is:

Liberal: Bush lied and everyone knows it by now.
Sane Person: Really? What was the lie? Could you give an example?
Liberal: It's not my fault if you have blinders on.

Refusing to give examples to suppport one's position, although often presented as "I can't help it if you're too stupid to see it," is really nothing more than a forfeit.

So, what was Bush's lie???

If you have not seen enough evidence on this and several other threads then it is time that you took your blinders off.

Sane person to Brandon.....I am not a liberal and I am not an American. How many times have you read that too? It's not my fault if you have blinders on and refuse to accept the truth.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:46 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:

President Bush wrote:
Iraq possesses ballistic missiles with a likely range of hundreds of miles -- far enough to strike Saudi Arabia, Israel, Turkey, and other nations
White House transcript of the speech The statement was factually false and continues to be factually false. Is a factually false statement a lie or not?

Your question isn't very intelligent, since the answer to it is completely obvious, and not what you say it is. A factually false statement may or may not be a lie. If I go to lunch with friends and say, "Joe will be coming too," but Joe doesn't come. It might be a lie, or it might be my incorrect opinion based on the best sources of information I had.

I would guess that Bush was looking at a lot of intelligence reports from various sources and stating what he believed to be true. It's not as though Iraq has not developed missiles. In 1991 Iraq had 24 Scud launchers and 48 'Al-Hussein' launchers-20 mobile and 28 stationary-and about 400 missiles for these. They had other missiles too. Clearly they did have a development program.

Why is is that you consider your questions intelligent but berate others for theirs? Your guess that Bush was looking at a lot of intelligence reports does not count for anything. Do you guess, or do you know? And, what is the range of a SCUD missle? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:50 am
squinney wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
... It might be a lie, or it might be my incorrect opinion based on the best sources of information I had.

Your Honor, the Defense rests. Laughing

Not in the slightest, and I don't know how you can pull that interpretation out of what I said. As everyone knows, making a statement that later turns out to be false, which I'm sure you've done many, many times in your life, as have I, might indicate that the speaker lied, or it might indicate that the speaker is mistaken. How does this confirm your thesis in any way at all?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:02 am
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:

President Bush wrote:

Why is is that you consider your questions intelligent but berate others for theirs? Your guess that Bush was looking at a lot of intelligence reports does not count for anything. Do you guess, or do you know?

My point is only that a statement that later turns out to be false is not much of an indication that the speaker was lying. It would be very odd if the president were not looking at intelligence reports in the run up to making war. It seems likely that he was, does it not?

Intrepid wrote:
And, what is the range of a SCUD missle? Rolling Eyes

As for the selection of Iraqi missiles I cited, I certainly never claimed that the SCUD had the requisite range. My point was that since Iraq did have missile development programs, the idea that they were making progress was not implausible.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:03 am
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Curious that people post bumper stickers that Newsweek lied, but still cling to the premise that George W. Bush is sqeaky clean and did not lie Laughing

"Newsweek" has admitted that they rushed to judgement. Whether one considers that a lie or not is probably a personal choice. The idea that Bush lied is a mantra of the liberals, but when asked to give examples, all you usually get is some evasive remark that doesn't actually prove anything. The way the liberals usually operate is:

Liberal: Bush lied and everyone knows it by now.
Sane Person: Really? What was the lie? Could you give an example?
Liberal: It's not my fault if you have blinders on.

Refusing to give examples to suppport one's position, although often presented as "I can't help it if you're too stupid to see it," is really nothing more than a forfeit.

So, what was Bush's lie???

If you have not seen enough evidence on this and several other threads then it is time that you took your blinders off.

Sane person to Brandon.....I am not a liberal and I am not an American. How many times have you read that too? It's not my fault if you have blinders on and refuse to accept the truth.

Well, if it is so obvious, it is rather interesting that you and the other liberals almost always run for cover when asked to support their thesis that Bush lied.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:07 am
squinney wrote:
He lied about no plans for war being made, using diplomacy, and he had the intel fixed to fit his desire to go to war against Iraq.

No, I won't provide links. If you're too lazy to know what has been published over the last two weeks, you won't likely read what I cite.

Interesting. I stated on another thread that Clinton lied, and I was asked to provide proof. So I did. When I asked for the poster who asserted that Bush lied to similarly provide proof, he failed or refused ... much as you do.

At least Parados puts forth some effort to make his case. And even though he fails to show Bush lied, he at least articulates his reasoning. As he sees it (and presumably this is the case with all Bush haters), the fact that Bush said something that may have turned out to be factually inaccurate means he lied. Apparently, it doesn't matter to them whether Bush knew at the time he said it, that what he said was not true. To them, he lied. That is the logic of the Bush haters. Nevermind that to most people a lie requires an intent to deceive. There is no showing that Bush intended to deceive, but the Bush haters have managed to convince themselves of his intent in that regard. Many of these folks also think the Bush Administration flew the planes into the Twin Towers because it wanted to attack Iraq.

Then, when these folks apply their own analysis to the Newsweek reporting, they conclude Newsweek didn't lie. Why not? They presented an account that turned out to be factually inaccurate. Why is that not a lie, if what Bush did was a lie? The only way for their analysis to make sense is to assume they simply don't impute the element of deceit to Newsweek. They manufacture an intent to deceive which they ascribe to Bush, but don't do the same to Newsweek.

Those that otherwise maintain that whenever one says something that turns out not to be accurate, they have "lied," have a very odd view. Intent is very important.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:12 am
And what was Newsweeks intent if it wasn't an intense desire to publish a story that would embarrass the Bush Administration? I don't think they lied any more than Bush lied. If they knew the story was false, however, then they lied. If they just weren't sure, and were only relying on an unnamed "senior government official, it was just sloppy reporting, which calls into question their journalistic standards.

And this is Boortz' take:

Quote:
Might I submit to you that the Newsweek journalistic "standards" bear close resemblance to the following:

1. The Bush Administration didn't rely on faulty intelligence in its move to depose Saddam Hussein; instead, Bush "lied." 2. Any story from an anonymous source critical of a Republican president, no matter how thinly based or weakly corroborated, must be initially believed as true and may be reported as such if deadlines are close. 3. Any story from an anonymous source critical of a Democratic president must be initially believed as untrue and should only be published out of a fear that some other news organization is going to publish it before you do. 4. Torture of Muslims is a widespread and accepted part of the U.S. military culture. 5. Virtually all of the detainees being held in Guantanamo are innocent and should be immediately released, perhaps with reparations payments for their incarceration. 6. Every action involving the U.S. military under other than a Democratic commander in chief will, within no less than 21 days, become a "quagmire." 7. There is no legitimate reason for the application of U.S. military force overseas under a Republican president until after the nuclear tipped missiles are actually launched. 8. There is no reason not to apply U.S. military force overseas under a Democratic president. 9. Anti-war activists are prone to tell the truth. Military officials are prone to lie. 10. Reporters never lie, unless they work for The Washington Times or the Fox News Channel. 11. America is great because of its government, so long as that government is controlled by Democrats. 12. If the United States government is controlled by Republicans, America is not great. 13. Freedom has nothing to do with America's greatness, no matter who is in control of our government.

Yeah .. I could go on with the list, but you get the idea. Newsweek had a story that could embarrass the Bush Administration and denigrate our military. Under Newsweek's loose standards the story ran. It fit the template ... that template being that any story critical of the Bush administration, our war effort in Afghanistan or Iraq, or our military must be given every benefit of the doubt.

And people died.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:40 am
Very weak argument if the only thing the Bushwackers can say is "Well, since Bush lied, it's OK that Newsweek lied."

The publisher of Newsweek stated that they should not have gone forward with the article, knowing what they know now.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:44 am
My god, you Republicans are dense.

If you look at the actual statement made by Newsweek, they said that their source can't remember which document he read about the abuse in. That's not the same as lying, that's not the same as saying it didn't happen. There are several different reports of Koran abuse that have come out from different sources; Newsweek just printed a story about it, is all!

You people need to realize that it isn't Newsweek who is responsible for the violence over there, but our Draconian prisoner practices! But hush up, noone should talk about anything that might make people mad at America, oh no.

You people are absolutely amazing me. You'd rather supress free speech than find out the truth; this is truly a dangerous time for our country.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:45 am
Re: Dys
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
very interesting commentary and yet I sit here and wonder, was the Newsweek article accurate or not? Well that and does it really matter to anyone?

Actually, the Newsweek quote was accurate. It was received from "a government official" and Newsweek's article was approved in advance of publication by government officials. Apparently, the quoted government official changed his story when the riot sh*t hit the fan. Then the Bush administration took advantage of the situation in an opportunity to attack the hated media and accused Newsweek of publishing a false claim. The only liars in his event were the government officials. The blameless Newsweek took the fall for the government's liars.

The more things change the more they remain the same.

BBB

That's exactly what I read also. Newsweek received this info from a so-called official who flipped the script when things got too hot. And what was that being debated just a page or so ago about the present administration lying to the people? All day long.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:48 am
woiyo wrote:
Very weak argument if the only thing the Bushwackers can say is "Well, since Bush lied, it's OK that Newsweek lied."

The publisher of Newsweek stated that they should not have gone forward with the article, knowing what they know now.
[/b]

Perhaps this is what George Bush should have done when he was proven wrong about the WMD's
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:49 am
frankly re the allegations of Koran flushing, I don't really give a tinkers damn one way or the other, same can I say about Newsweek. this is totally, from my perspective, a non-issue on all counts (other than media/white house credibility which as already fallen into negative numbers) yeppers, Newsweek is as incompetent as the White House as the House of Reps, I'm agog.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:53 am
Quote:
May 17, 2005

Mr. Scott McClellan
Press Secretary
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. McClellan:

I write to express my profound disappointment and outrage about comments you made about a matter involving Newsweek magazine, which smacks of political exploitation of the deaths of innocent and a shameless attempt to intimidate reporters from critically investigating your Administration's actions. Your comments are contradicted by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and stand in stark contrast with your actions involving the "Downing Street Memo." I urge you and your counterpart at the Pentagon to immediately retract the comments made yesterday, and - at long last - provide a full accounting of the Administration's actions in the lead up to the Iraq war.

As you are aware, a May 9th Newsweek report indicated that interrogators at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba flushed the Koran down a toilet as part of an interrogation. Newsweek has since retracted the story. However, as the magazine was reevaluating information received from its sources, it appears you opted to exploit the situation for partisan political gain by falsely laying blame on Newsweek for recent deaths in Afghanistan.

Specifically, at 11:23am yesterday, you declared in a public statement: "his report has had serious consequences. It has caused damage to the image of the United States abroad. It has -- people have lost their lives. It has certainly caused damage to the credibility of the media, as well, and Newsweek, itself." The Pentagon spokesman, Larry DiRita, made similar comments. Referring to Newsweek's source, he said "People are dead because of what this son of a bitch said." The clear implication of these statements is that the Newsweek report had caused a loss of life in Muslim nations, presumably referring to the recent riots in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

First, this attempt to tie riots to the Newsweek article stands in stark contrast to the assessment of your own senior military officials. On May 12th, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Of Staff had reported on his consultations with the Senior Commander in Afghanistan about whether there was a causal relationship between the Newsweek story and the riots thusly: "[h]e thought it was not at all tied to the article in the magazine." The only conclusion that can be reasonably drawn is that, in contrast to career military officers, political operatives sought to
Mr. Scott McClellan
Page Two
May 17, 2005

score cheap political points by spreading falsehoods about Newsweek. The appropriate course of action is clear: you and Mr. DiRita should immediately retract your exploitative comments.

Second, there is - of course - a sad irony in this White House claiming that someone else's errors or misjudgments led to the loss of innocent lives. Over 1,600 Americans and tens of thousands of Iraqis have lost their lives in the Iraq war, a war which your Administration justified by falsely claiming that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. To date, your Administration has consistently blocked Congressional inquiries into whether such claims were the result of intentional manipulation of intelligence or, as you assert, a mere "failure."

Moreover, your loquacious response to this matter stands in stark contrast to your response to a recently released classified memo comprising the minutes of a July 22 meeting of British Prime Minister Tony Blair and his cabinet which calls into question the credibility of assertions made by your Administration in its drive to war. Among other things the memo indicates that Administration officials were working to ensure that "the intelligence and facts were fixed around the policy," implying that intelligence was deliberately manipulated to prop up the case for war. The memo also indicates, contrary to contemporaneous statements to the American people and the Congress that the President had already "made up his mind to take military action." When asked about this memo, you claimed that you "don't know about the specific memo" - two and one half weeks after its release and ten days after receiving a letter detailing its contents from 89 Members of Congress (which has still not been answered).

Third, the public deserves to know what precisely the White House is asserting with respect to the mistreatment of the Koran by interrogators: are such reports categorically false or are they, in the words of one publication, "manifold?" For example, a May1st New York Times report indicated that a Koran was thrown into a pile and stepped on at the Guantanamo detention facility and "[a] former interrogator at Guantanamo, in an interview with the Times, confirmed the accounts of the hunger strikes, including the public expression of regret over the treatment of the Korans." The incident where a Koran was allegedly thrown in a toilet was also recounted by a former detainee in a March 26, 2003 article in the Washington Post, and corroborated by another detainee in a August 4, 2003 report by the Center for Constitutional Rights. The question is: are you categorically denying that the mistreatment of the Koran occurred, or are you simply denying the Newsweek report is accurate on hyper technical grounds?

Mr. McClellan, the American people have grown tired of the venomous partisanship and lack of candor on the part of this Administration. When taken to task for wrongdoing, a pattern has emerged of this Administration viciously attacking its accusers. The cornerstone of our democracy is an open and accountable government, and the American people deserve answers - not distractions -- today.

Sincerely,

John Conyers, Jr.

Let's see the bolded part again so all you Wingnuts can read what the commander of forces in Afghanistan had to say about the riots:

Quote:
On May 12th, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Of Staff had reported on his consultations with the Senior Commander in Afghanistan about whether there was a causal relationship between the Newsweek story and the riots thusly: "[h]e thought it was not at all tied to the article in the magazine."

Ya got it? It's our actions which are causing such an uproar, not the exercise of freedom of speech.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:55 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
parados wrote:

President Bush wrote:

Bush's statement was not a statement about someone MIGHT show up. It was a statement of Saddam POSSESSING. Are you claiming Bush's statement as stated above was "opinion"? It looks pretty emphatic to me. No maybes or other qualifiers.

All of Saddam's scuds and other long range missiles were destroyed by UNSCOM.

"He posseses" is NOT a statement about a development program.

When in doubt accuse my question of not being intelligent. Yeah.. typical of you Brandon. Instead of addresssing the issue raised you dance around it and call names.

Let me see if I can understand your logic. Clinton lied because he statements were factually true but misleading but Bush didn't lie because his statements were factually false and misleading. Is that your argument Brandon?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:56 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
And what was Newsweeks intent if it wasn't an intense desire to publish a story that would embarrass the Bush Administration? I don't think they lied any more than Bush lied. If they knew the story was false, however, then they lied. If they just weren't sure, and were only relying on an unnamed "senior government official, it was just sloppy reporting, which calls into question their journalistic standards.
[/b]

If George W. Bush knew the story about WMD's was false, however, then he lied. If Bush just wasn't sure, and was only relying on an unnamed "senior government official, it was just sloppy leadership, which calls into question his leadership standards.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:56 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
My god, you Republicans are dense.

If you look at the actual statement made by Newsweek, they said that their source can't remember which document he read about the abuse in. That's not the same as lying, that's not the same as saying it didn't happen. There are several different reports of Koran abuse that have come out from different sources; Newsweek just printed a story about it, is all!

You people need to realize that it isn't Newsweek who is responsible for the violence over there, but our Draconian prisoner practices! But hush up, noone should talk about anything that might make people mad at America, oh no.

You people are absolutely amazing me. You'd rather supress free speech than find out the truth; this is truly a dangerous time for our country.

Cycloptichorn

Newsweek ADMITTED they did not do a good enough job in verifying the facts. You need MORE THAN ONE SOURCE to go forward with that kind of story. They failed miserably.

I want investgative journalists to VERIFY THE FACTS and not rush to press. Newsweek does not know the TRUTH in this matter, they have a suspision. You do NOT go to press based upon "I hope we got it right!"
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 10:57 am
Intrepid wrote:
woiyo wrote:

[/b]

Perhaps this is what George Bush should have done when he was proven wrong about the WMD's

Drinking again???

This has NOTHING to do with Bush. This has everyting to do with Journalism 101. VERIFY THE FACTS!!!
0 Replies