JustWonders

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:21 pm
"Taking Sides: Bias at the BBC"

"Fairness, impartiality and objectivity are the essence of public service broadcast journalism. This understanding is enshrined in the BBC's charter and provides a key justification for the licence fee.

Now, however, an explosive insider's account threatens to blow this cosy assumption clean out of the water as a fraud upon the public. Robin Aitken, who spent his entire career as a BBC journalist, has written a book accusing the BBC of institutionalised leftism.

This is by no means the first time such an accusation has been levelled, but generally such critics have been dismissed as parti-pris. This is why Aitken's book, "Taking Sides: Bias at the BBC", is so significant.

For 25 years he chalked up solid experience across the board as a BBC reporter, covering some of the biggest stories of the day. In other words, he is BBC man through and through. So when someone like this lifts the lid on newsroom culture, it carries weight. And his message is that BBC journalism is as bent as a corkscrew."

http://www.melaniephillips.com/articles/archives/001204.html
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:02 pm
Free bumper sticker (just print it):

http://img11.echo.cx/img11/925/newsweeklied6of.jpg
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 12:20 am
gungasnake wrote:
Free bumper sticker (just print it):

...and look like a complete ass when your on the road.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 02:37 am
gungasnake wrote:
FDR would have hanged their asses for publishing such a thing in 42 whether it was accurate or not. The idea of the interests of the United States never entered the minds of the cretins running Newsweek.

As I understand the stated motives of the United States' government, it has no interest in Afghanistan and Iraq except to bring democracy and freedom to these places. That freedom surely includes freedom of speech. If the US government were to hang journalists for delivering unpleasant news, it would set a terrible example, thus corrupting the only interest it ever had in the Middle East. Certainly they would never do that?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:45 am
Thomas wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
FDR would have hanged their asses for publishing such a thing in 42 whether it was accurate or not. The idea of the interests of the United States never entered the minds of the cretins running Newsweek.

As I understand the stated motives of the United States' government, it has no interest in Afghanistan and Iraq except to bring democracy and freedom to these places. That freedom surely includes freedom of speech. If the US government were to hang journalists for delivering unpleasant news, it would set a terrible example, thus corrupting the only interest it ever had in the Middle East. Certainly they would never do that?

These same journalists certainly know how to be silent and simply not print something which is demonstrably harmful, I mean, they all went for six years refusing to print anything at all about Slick Clinton....

I mean, it's not like anybody would be asking them to LIE; they do THAT naturally.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 03:59 am
gungasnake wrote:
These same journalists certainly know how to be silent and simply not print something which is demonstrably harmful, I mean, they all went for six years refusing to print anything at all about Slick Clinton....

During the nineties, clearly you must have read a very different edition of Newsweek than I have. The edition I read back then was full of Clinton and Lewinsky.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:09 am
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20050516/2005-05-16T225847Z_01_N16479546_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-RELIGION-KORAN-DC.html

""Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Koran abuse at Guantanamo Bay," Newsweek Editor Mark Whitaker said in a statement, a day after apologizing for the report."

What they know NOW is what they should have known BEFORE they went to print.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:20 am
Curious that people post bumper stickers that Newsweek lied, but still cling to the premise that George W. Bush is sqeaky clean and did not lie Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 06:28 am
Intrepid wrote:
Curious that people post bumper stickers that Newsweek lied, but still cling to the premise that George W. Bush is sqeaky clean and did not lie Laughing

"Newsweek" has admitted that they rushed to judgement. Whether one considers that a lie or not is probably a personal choice. The idea that Bush lied is a mantra of the liberals, but when asked to give examples, all you usually get is some evasive remark that doesn't actually prove anything. The way the liberals usually operate is:

Liberal: Bush lied and everyone knows it by now.
Sane Person: Really? What was the lie? Could you give an example?
Liberal: It's not my fault if you have blinders on.

Refusing to give examples to suppport one's position, although often presented as "I can't help it if you're too stupid to see it," is really nothing more than a forfeit.

So, what was Bush's lie???
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:01 am
He lied about no plans for war being made, using diplomacy, and he had the intel fixed to fit his desire to go to war against Iraq.

No, I won't provide links. If you're too lazy to know what has been published over the last two weeks, you won't likely read what I cite.

As for Newsweek, why, when the article was given to the Defense Dept prior to publication, did they not question the Koran claim?

Why did our brass last week say that the rioting was due to internal unrest, and not Newsweek and then change their tune after McClellan came out with his Newsweek attack?

Why don't you ever question whether or not your government is playing you for a fool?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:08 am
Quote:
Afghan Riots Not Tied to Report on Quran Handling, General Says
Army investigating allegations of mishandling at Guantanamo Bay facility

By Jacquelyn S. Porth
Washington File Staff Writer

Washington - The chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff says a report from Afghanistan suggests that rioting in Jalalabad on May 11 was not necessarily connected to press reports that the Quran might have been desecrated in the presence of Muslim prisoners held in U.S. custody at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Air Force General Richard Myers told reporters at the Pentagon May 12 that he has been told that the Jalalabad, Afghanistan, rioting was related more to the ongoing political reconciliation process in Afghanistan than anything else.

According to initial reports, the situation in Jalalabad began on May 10 with peaceful student protests reacting to a report in Newsweek magazine that U.S. military interrogators questioning Muslim detainees at the Guantanamo detention center "had placed Quran s on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book." By the following day the protests in the city had turned violent with reports of several individuals killed, dozens wounded, and widespread looting of government, diplomatic and nongovernmental assets.

However, Myers said an after-action report provided by U.S. Army Lieutenant General Karl Eikenberry, commander of the Combined Forces in Afghanistan, indicated that the political violence was not, in fact, connected to the magazine report.

http://usinfo.state.gov/is/Archive/2005/May/13-299433.html
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:14 am
Then why would Newsweek retract the story?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:15 am
Thomas wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

During the nineties, clearly you must have read a very different edition of Newsweek than I have. The edition I read back then were full of Clinton and Lewinsky.

You're not kidding! I subscribed to Newsweek back then and saved the issues devoted to the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal. There were many.

I read today that Newsweek will print a retraction. Why? Because they got beat down and bottom-line, the potential of losing ad money is great. That's what it all boils down to.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:24 am
Olberman get's it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6210240

Quote:

McClellan / Rove saw an opportunity to discredit the press again and ran with it. Some of you are buying into it. The lack of critical thinking on the part of some of you is shameful, IMO.

It's purely a political move. The less we can "trust" the press to print/ report the truth, the less likely we are to believe the truth when it is about the current administration. It's to the adminastrations benefit to attack the press. That just seems so obvious that I'm disgusted to have to point it out.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:27 am
eoe wrote:
I read today that Newsweek will print a retraction. Why? Because they got beat down and bottom-line, the potential of losing ad money is great. That's what it all boils down to.

eoe -- do you happen to remember the last time Fox retracted misinformation peddled by Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity? We don't have FOX in Germany so I don't know, but with conservative media being so much more responsible than the liberal establishment , I'm sure that must happen quite often. After all they have a much better reputation for solid research to lose.

......... right?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:34 am
And isn't the timing of an attack on a major news publication interesting???

Quote:
Downing Street War Memo Gains Traction in U.S. Press

By Greg Mitchell

Published: May 14, 2005 10:45 AM ET updated May 16, 2:00 AM

NEW YORK For more than 10 days, the U.S. media nearly ignored it, but finally the so-called "Downing Street Memo" is finally gaining traction in the U.S. press. The Los Angeles Times featured a lengthy report on Thursday, and Walter Pincus of The Washington Post followed on Friday.

The memo, obtained by the The Sunday Times in London and published on May 1, became a major issue in the closing days of the British elections but received little attention in the United States until a Knight Ridder report on May 6, which E&P carried. A Knight Ridder editor later told E&P that it received surprisingly little pickup. The New York Times has given it little notice.

The Washington Post ignored the memo until Pincus's article, which appeared Friday on page A18. It arrived five days after Post ombudsman Michael Getler revealed that readers had complained about the lack of coverage.

Editor and Publisher
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 07:48 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

"Newsweek" has admitted that they rushed to judgement. Whether one considers that a lie or not is probably a personal choice. The idea that Bush lied is a mantra of the liberals, but when asked to give examples, all you usually get is some evasive remark that doesn't actually prove anything. The way the liberals usually operate is:

Liberal: Bush lied and everyone knows it by now.
Sane Person: Really? What was the lie? Could you give an example?
Liberal: It's not my fault if you have blinders on.

Refusing to give examples to suppport one's position, although often presented as "I can't help it if you're too stupid to see it," is really nothing more than a forfeit.

So, what was Bush's lie???

Bush on Oct 7, 2002 in a speech in Cincinatti

Quote:
Iraq possesses ballistic missiles with a likely range of hundreds of miles -- far enough to strike Saudi Arabia, Israel, Turkey, and other nations
White House transcript of the speech The statement was factually false and continues to be factually false. Is a factually false statement a lie or not?

SO... since you are claiming to be a "sane person" Brandon.. Are you now willing to admit Bush lied with this example being presented to you? Or do you perhaps have some evidence of those missiles existing? No such missiles were found in Iraq. Or should we redefine the meaning of the word lie to not mean a "factual untruth?"
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:04 am
Here's another example:

''I applaud the Pakistani government for their strong cooperation in the war on terror. I applaud them for acting on solid intelligence and bringing this man to justice,'' Bush said.

''He was a major facilitator and a chief planner for the Al Qaeda network. His arrest removes a dangerous enemy who was a direct threat to America and to those who love freedom.''

This was George Bush's report on the capture of Abu Faraj al Libbi, the third-in-command in the Al Qaeda hierarchy.

So what's the problem?

George Bush's statement was incorrect. The man captured was NOT a ''major facilitator and a chief planner for the Al Qaeda network.'' In light of the current standards being applied to Newsweek, nothing less than a complete retraction by George Bush in the same venue as his original statement will suffice to fix this greivous error. (lie?)

Newsweek has already apologized for its possible error (note that Newsweek's report hasn't been DISPROVED, just not substantiated in a strong enough manner), do we hold our President to a LESSER STANDARD THAN THE PRESS?

Will George Bush issue apology for poorly sourced reporting?

Credit
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:16 am
Thomas wrote:
gungasnake wrote:

During the nineties, clearly you must have read a very different edition of Newsweek than I have. The edition I read back then was full of Clinton and Lewinsky.

Yeah, after six years of total silence and after Mat Drudge made them look like total idiots.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 08:30 am
Dys
dyslexia wrote:
very interesting commentary and yet I sit here and wonder, was the Newsweek article accurate or not? Well that and does it really matter to anyone?

Actually, the Newsweek quote was accurate. It was received from "a government official" and Newsweek's article was approved in advance of publication by government officials. Apparently, the quoted government official changed his story when the riot sh*t hit the fan. Then the Bush administration took advantage of the situation in an opportunity to attack the hated media and accused Newsweek of publishing a false claim. The only liars in his event were the government officials. The blameless Newsweek took the fall for the government's liars.

The more things change the more they remain the same.

BBB
0 Replies