Can Souls in Hell be Forgiven and Saved and Go to Heaven?

Glennn

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 09:48 pm
I think that the people who have given themselves over to the idea that the god can do no wrong are simply not seeing the forest for the trees when it comes to the story of Job. What comes through loud and clear is that the god was tempted by Satan to gamble--to make a bet. And Job was the unfortunate victim of the god's gambling problem. The story paints the god as being on the same level as those degraded humans who involve themselves in pit-bull fighting.

It is difficult to understand how anyone can come to the conclusion that the god who succumbed to Satan's tremptation to gamble, using Job as the ante, is somehow redeemed by virtue of its act of restoring Job's health and well-being after the abuse. This is no different from believing that the person who subjects his dog to the inhumane arena of dog-fighting is redeemed by virtue of giving his tore up dog the best verterinarian care available . . . after the abuse.
jwagner

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 10:11 pm
@neologist,
You would be correct, when Adam and Eve sinned the whole world was corrupt and bound to sin becoming flawed, everyone deserved death for the direct betrayal that Adam(the human race representative) commited to God. But, God loved us to such an extent that he sent his one and only son down to earth to die on the cross and break the chains that sin had over the world and rising from the grave 3 days after death Jesus Christ(the son of God) destroyed deaths power. With God loving us being my primary point, God wants us to love him back. As we know, love is a choice so if God would force us to love him it wouldn't be true love. God gives us the choice of whether or not to believe in him and love him and trust him. That is the choice that we make on earth, the core of the christian faith and the salvation that I and other Christians also believe. My question is, what is it that you believe?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 12 May, 2016 10:41 pm
@Glennn,
So, you didn't read Job. I get it.
Especially in the King James version. It has all those hard words.
Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 07:29 am
@neologist,
So, you didn't read my post. I get it. Here, I'll repost it:

I think that the people who have given themselves over to the idea that the god can do no wrong are simply not seeing the forest for the trees when it comes to the story of Job. What comes through loud and clear is that the god was tempted by Satan to gamble--to make a bet. And Job was the unfortunate victim of the god's gambling problem. The story paints the god as being on the same level as those degraded humans who involve themselves in pit-bull fighting.

It is difficult to understand how anyone can come to the conclusion that the god who succumbed to Satan's temptation to gamble, using Job as the ante, is somehow redeemed by virtue of its act of restoring Job's health and well-being after the abuse. This is no different from believing that the person who subjects his dog to the inhumane arena of dog-fighting is redeemed by virtue of giving his tore up dog the best veterinarians care available . . . after the abuse.

Gambling and betting and dog fighting are not hard concepts to understand or recognize. Perhaps you would care to explain how it's okay when the god indulges in such degrading activity.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 08:12 am
@Glennn,
I get it too. Even when you read it, You don't get the story of Job. .
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 08:51 am
@Leadfoot,
I get it, if people are stupid you can get away with anything.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 08:52 am
@Leadfoot,
Well, actually I get that you don't get the story of Job. You come from a place of: If the god did it, then it has to be good. This is a prime example of the effects of book deification.

Gambling and betting and dog fighting are not hard concepts to understand or recognize. Perhaps you would care to explain how it's okay when the god indulges in such degrading activity using humans, but not okay when we do it using dogs. Basically, Satan tried his hand at tricking the god into believing it needed to prove something. Satan succeeded in influencing the god into engaging in abhorrent behavior at the expense of a man.

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:31 am
@Glennn,
I think I've done this before but I'll try a brief version again.

The actions of God in Job and many other places only make sense in the context of the overarching story of what God is doing. I can't possibly tell you all the reasons and biblical references that support this fundamental drive behind it all so I'll just say it in my own words.

God at some point desperately wanted more company than just his son and the angels he created. Thus was the plan to create 'us'. If we were to be fit company, we would have to be intelligent, self conscious and have free will. We would also eventually have to be free of any outside coercion other that the ideas inherent in our environment.

Very early on, God was challenged by Satan (an angel who rebelled) that given these conditions, all would choose the ideas and ideals that Satan subscribed to rather than God's. Whether this was literal or just the figurative truth inherent in creating free willed beings does not matter. It is the logical reality of free will.

But the imperative with God was that he wanted the company of what men could be if they thrived under those circumstances. The only thing that could stand in God's way of acting lovingly toward man was to be challenged on the 'rules of this existence'. It is that challenge which leads God into the things that you find repellant. They are, but only if you don't see the overarching goal of God.

Even though this has led to situations that made me long for death at times, when I finally got the reality of what was behind it all, I knew I would not have it any other way.
neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 11:36 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
. . .I think that the people who have given themselves over to the idea that the god can do no wrong are simply not seeing the forest for the trees when it comes to the story of Job. What comes through loud and clear is that the god was tempted by Satan to gamble--to make a bet. And Job was the unfortunate victim of the god's gambling problem. The story paints the god as being on the same level as those degraded humans who involve themselves in pit-bull fighting. . .
Once again, your superciliousnes has blinded you to the main points. The book of Job is not merely about Job. It is about us.
In ch 2 vs 4, Satan includes all humans in his allegation.
In ch 14 vs 15, Job clearly speaks of his faith in the resurrection, noting that he and his entire family will live again.
Satan's accusation has been proved false by many. How it plays out in your case (and mine) is to be determined.
Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 11:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
God at some point desperately wanted more company than just his son and the angels he created.

One of the saddest aspects of dog-fighting is that after the owner has deliberately subjected his/her dog to brutality, the dog will still lick the hand of its owner. Likewise, one of the saddest aspects of the story of Job is that the people who can't think outside the pages of their deified book will view Job's willingness to lick the hand of the god who allowed the brutality to be visited upon him in the first place as proof of the goodness of the god.

You are attempting to justify such a conclusion by presuming to know the god's mind and what motivates it, even though you are aware that its ways and thoughts are not like yours. That's neither reasonable nor logical.

I could enlarge the frame of this story so as to give it a completely different meaning. For instance, I could tell you that whatever created the god was challenged by a rival to prove that its creation (the biblical god) was beyond corruption. So the creator of the biblical god allowed its rival to try to tempt the biblical god to allow one of its faithful servant to be beaten down just to come out on top of a wager. The obvious conclusion here is that the biblical god failed the test, as it was more than willing to accept the wager at the expense of an innocent man.
Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 11:53 am
@neologist,
Quote:
The book of Job is not merely about Job. It is about us.

No. It's about the god being goaded into proving what it was unsure of. Your superciliousness blinds you to this.
neologist

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 02:26 pm
@Glennn,
OK.
I suppose I can't fault you for refusing to read.
Gotta maintain your comfort level as long as possible.
Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 03:16 pm
@neologist,
Everything I've said makes perfect sense in the context of the story of Job. That's why you don't refute it. It is not my fault that your beliefs dictate your level of comprehension. That was a decision you consciously or unconsciously made a long time ago. I suspect you will maintain that comfort level for the rest of your life. It's called book deification, and it has psychological roots. I've mentioned this before . . .

Here is a rule of thumb that will help clarify what I'm trying to tell you: When you find yourself incapable of explaining the logic behind an incident, it's because it's not logical. Coming to terms with that fact is a matter of growing up and letting go of what does not make sense.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 04:45 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
I suppose I can't fault you for refusing to read.

I didn't refuse to read about the god bragging to Satan about what an upstanding guy Job was. I also didn't refuse to read about Satan responding by goading the god into letting him **** up Job's life. I also didn't refuse to read about the god's pride having sway over his judgment on that day by way of allowing Satan to **** up Job's life. I also didn't refuse to read about all of the innocent servants who were killed on that day as a result of the god's pride having sway over his judgment on that day.

So, yes, I did read about how this whole incident started with the god's prideful bragging.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 07:15 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
One of the saddest aspects of dog-fighting is that after the owner has deliberately subjected his/her dog to brutality, the dog will still lick the hand of its owner.
An even sadder aspect is the dog who has been brutalized and then becomes a snarling cur, mistrustful of anyone who approaches him and ready to bite the one who wants to comfort and give him a loving home.

It was not God who beat this dog or sent him into a senseless dogfight. The scenario is more analogous to a faithful dog who does battle with a wild beast on behalf of his master. Or more accurately, his master's principles and ideals. And after the dog was bloodied but victorious, the master takes him into his arms, binds his wounds and praises him for his valor.
Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
It was not God who beat this dog or sent him into a senseless dogfight.

Yes it was. The god bragged to Satan about Job's great character. Then Satan goaded the god into allowing him to scourge Job. The god fell to the temptation to prove Satan wrong. Job suffered because of this. And you are forgetting that the god didn't give a **** about the innocent servants who died in order that Job would suffer loss. Collateral damage, I'm guessing . . .

So this incident is a victory for Satan because he knew which button to push on the god to get him to let him beat on Job with no interference, and to allow innocent servants to be killed in the process. The god had shown himself to be easily provoked into proving something that would cause great suffering and the death of others. The god was a liability to itself.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:08 pm
@Glennn,
You have a pretty vicious snarl, I hope you don't bite as well.

What happened to you?
Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
You have a pretty vicious snarl,

I'll bet you say that to all the ones who put your beliefs in the proper perspective.

Was it my mention of the killing of the innocent servants that caused you to lose focus?

It was good of the god to prohibit Satan to kill Job. Too bad it didn't feel the same about the servants, eh? And yet you love and worship this being. What happened to you? Wink
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:18 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
Was it my mention of the killing of the innocent servants that caused you to lose focus?
It was boredom, not loss of focus.

We've had that discussion already. To repeat: Life here is not the object and death here is not the end. God will give them justice where it really counts.
Glennn

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 09:19 pm
@Leadfoot,
Nice try, but it was loss of focus and the will to defend the indefensible, like the expendable innocent servants.