Can Souls in Hell be Forgiven and Saved and Go to Heaven?

extra medium

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 07:19 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Can't we say, EM, that every statement we make about the world is metaphorical? The world does not consist of words (although when we speak we are casting words into the world); words 'stand for' experiences about "the world" which is, essentially, meaningless. We inject metaphorical meaning into the world by means of language.

True. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

That is, I'd like to send some molecular/electric words to you now that would, when your eyes saw the string of molecule patterns that the words created on the screen, read them and processed them in your brain molecules, indicate that I (assuming I exist), apparently in fact, do, agree with you.

For brevity's sake, we'll bypass discussions of the meanings of troublesome words such as "electric" and "agree." Not to mention I guess we'll foregor the need to examine the apparent pattern of neurons firing off in my brain as I write this and the neurons it touches off in your brain as you read it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 07:28 pm
Yeah, but when you're dead you're dead.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 07:40 pm
neologist wrote:

Prove it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 08:36 pm
extra medium wrote:
neologist wrote:

Prove it.
Please don't ask for a demonstration, OK? Would scriptural references do?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 09:49 pm
neologist wrote:
extra medium wrote:
neologist wrote:

Prove it.
Please don't ask for a demonstration, OK? Would scriptural references do?

Well I guess thats the only alternative, unless we meet on the other side.

But heck, we haven't even totally met on this side yet.

Um, that makes me think...hmmmm....you are alive, aren't you?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 10:31 pm
Were we not once on "the other side", before we were born? As I recall, neither I nor anything else existed.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 11:31 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Were we not once on "the other side", before we were born? As I recall, neither I nor anything else existed.

Can you truly "recall" that?

I have a sense of a "time" before we existed...it feels like we existed in some other form of matter/energy/consciousness, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:32 am
extra medium wrote:

Let's start at the beginning.
Animals are souls (Genesis 1:23)
When Adam was created, he "came to be a living soul". (Genesis 2:7)
The soul is mortal (Ezekiel 18:4,20)
The dead are not conscious. (Ecclesiastes 9:5,6)

Here's a fill in the blank test:
"The wage sin pays is _________"

Remember the punishment decreed for eating of the tree? It was, simply, death. If God had eternal torment in mind, it would only have been fair to warn them, don't you think?
The Hebrew sord 'sheol', translated 'hell', means 'the grave'.
The Greek word 'hades', translated 'hell' means 'the unseen place'. It was used in the Septuagint version to translate the word 'sheol'.
The word 'Gehenna', translated 'hell' comes from the Hebrew words 'Geh Hinnom', meaning 'Valley of Hinnom', a place outside Jerusalem where fires were kept burning constantly to destroy garbage, dead animals, even criminals. Things thrown into the Valley of Hinnom were totally destroyed and their destruction was everlasting. They did not burn forever.
It is interesting to note that in 17th century England, if you told someone to 'Go to hell.", he would most likely have gone down to his root cellar.
BTW, so far I've only been brain dead - once or twice.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 02:15 am
neologist wrote:
extra medium wrote:

Let's start at the beginning.
Animals are souls (Genesis 1:23)
When Adam was created, he "came to be a living soul". (Genesis 2:7)
The soul is mortal (Ezekiel 18:4,20)
The dead are not conscious. (Ecclesiastes 9:5,6)

Here's a fill in the blank test:
"The wage sin pays is _________"

Remember the punishment decreed for eating of the tree? It was, simply, death. If God had eternal torment in mind, it would only have been fair to warn them, don't you think?
The Hebrew sord 'sheol', translated 'hell', means 'the grave'.
The Greek word 'hades', translated 'hell' means 'the unseen place'. It was used in the Septuagint version to translate the word 'sheol'.
The word 'Gehenna', translated 'hell' comes from the Hebrew words 'Geh Hinnom', meaning 'Valley of Hinnom', a place outside Jerusalem where fires were kept burning constantly to destroy garbage, dead animals, even criminals. Things thrown into the Valley of Hinnom were totally destroyed and their destruction was everlasting. They did not burn forever.
It is interesting to note that in 17th century England, if you told someone to 'Go to hell.", he would most likely have gone down to his root cellar.
BTW, so far I've only been brain dead - once or twice.

Interesting. So it appears you are saying you believe the soul is mortal and there is no Hell?

Question: That part of us that will live in heaven eternally--what is that? Its not a soul if souls are immortal. What is that?

BTW, I'm glad your brain returned from dead. Part of its purpose must have been to post here about this stuff!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 09:25 am
extra medium wrote:
Interesting. So it appears you are saying you believe the soul is mortal and there is no Hell?

Question: That part of us that will live in heaven eternally--what is that? Its not a soul if souls are immortal. What is that?

BTW, I'm glad your brain returned from dead. Part of its purpose must have been to post here about this stuff!
I didn't say we did not have the prospect of eternal life or that some might not be chosen from the earth to rule as kings and priests in heaven.

If Adam and Eve had not sinned, they would still be here and we would not have war and crime and sickness and death. The mere fact of their rebellion did not cause God to change his mind. His name, you may remember, means "He who causes to become."

Would further scriptural references be appropriate?

BTW, I'm not expecting to go to heaven. Earth has more than enough for me.

Also, thank you for your kind thoughts about my brain. I try to remember never to leave home without it.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 01:02 pm
The migration of souls is soulfull to the singers of the soul.

http://www.pbase.com/alkeme/image/6551152
0 Replies

rajeshanaclate

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 09:38 am
@extra medium,
souls in hell can be saved.For that the spirit in Jesus entered into hell and preached the word of God. A community is there in India like this whom God has
given such two anointment :one is spirit in Jesus.If you want ,u can know about them from their website.God bless You.Spread this message
0 Replies

tommydude2112

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 09:58 pm
@extra medium,
not once they are in hell. You either need to confess your sins whilst on earth or hope someone prays for you in purgatory because after that - there's no going back
Intrepid

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 03:56 pm
@tommydude2112,
tommydude2112 wrote:

not once they are in hell. You either need to confess your sins whilst on earth or hope someone prays for you in purgatory because after that - there's no going back

.....and you have this on what authority?
0 Replies

Nooneleft

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:24 am
@extra medium,
extra medium wrote:

Does anyone here know for an absolute certainty that the Bible actually states human souls in Hell have no chance for forgiveness?

Believe it or not, I did read the Bible, and I don't recall it actually explicitly stating "Once you are in Hell, you no longer have any chance for forgiveness, for Redemption."

That doesn't seem too Christian. Lets assume for a moment there's a Hell. Some people are down there praying to Jesus, begging for forgiveness, begging to be forgiven for not believing in the twisted corrupt Churches while they were on earth. And Jesus just ignores them?

The Jesus I imagine wouldn't ignore them, not even if they were in Hell. The Jesus I know wouldn't be that petty. He doesn't care if they screwed up & they're in Hell....He'd forgive them and go get them.

STOP shitting yourself and realize for once in your misguided life that there is no GOD!!! Your bible is a damn doorstop so get over yourself ... OR be brainwashed like the rest of these bible thumping morons!!
You have been believing in the worlds longest lasting lie!!
Nooneleft

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:25 am
@tommydude2112,
tommydude2112 wrote:

Pure bullshit!
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:29 am
@Nooneleft,
Nooneleft wrote:

STOP shitting yourself and realize for once in your misguided life that there is no GOD!!! Your bible is a damn doorstop so get over yourself ... OR be brainwashed like the rest of these bible thumping morons!!
You have been believing in the worlds longest lasting lie!!

Don't be too hard on him, Noone.

Some people have a hard time dealing, emotionally, with the possibility that there may be no God.
Nooneleft

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 01:33 am
@Kolyo,
Ya know what? When reality bites ... bite back even HARDER!!
Some people swallow god with a straw, but I'd rather choke on a ******* steak knife than believe that phony crap!!
neologist

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 05:32 pm
@Nooneleft,
Nooneleft wrote:

Some people swallow god with a straw, but I'd rather choke on a ******* steak knife than believe that phony crap!!
Eloquently and coherently stated.

You mom must be proud.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 04:23 pm
@Nooneleft,
Nooneleft wrote:

The choice is yours to make