Can Souls in Hell be Forgiven and Saved and Go to Heaven?

neologist

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 11:47 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
It is true that I'm a naysayer when it comes to the indigestible content of the beliefs of others. But unlike your garden variety naysayer, I actually explain why nay is the appropriate response to the decidedly indigestible fare served up by our resident book deifiers. . .
And its especially gratifying when you get to grade all the papers. For believer and naysayer alike have the opportunity to use scripture as an ambidexter implement to justify both desire for license and expectation of reward.

A perfect vehicle for confirmation bias, if that's what you want.
Glennn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 06:47 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
In case you didn't notice, the thread had drifted several light years away from the OP.

In case you didn't notice, your capacity to recognize comedy relief has been substantially diminished.

And that's not a good thing.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 07:00 am
@neologist,
Quote:
For believer and naysayer alike have the opportunity to use scripture as an ambidexter implement to justify both desire for license and expectation of reward.

But in this case, scripture was the vehicle for an ignominious end to a believer's attempt to portray consistency where there is only a story that makes sense only to those who don't require consistency.

You should have stayed in the gym!
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 07:02 am
Thank God for thumbs and the God-given right to use them.
neologist

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 12:28 pm
@Glennn,
I only thumb down for gross profanity. Stuff the mods usually delete anyway. I'm not opposed to an upthumb, though.

I even give mercy thumbs.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 17 May, 2016 02:09 pm
@Glennn,
Thumbs down are legal but I never do'em.

You must have your own personal masked thumbs downer.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2016 06:37 am
@extra medium,
I really dislike questions like yours, where you 'correct' Jesus because you know He didn't mean what He said.

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Jesus is even more merciful than you want but you don't take Him seriously.
0 Replies

Mary E

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 12:01 pm
@SN95,
I have news for you. Religion and Church do not save you. Lots of time religion is man made. The definition of religion is just something one believes in. Many hypocrites go to Church believing Church will save them then maltreat others. It doesn't work that way. God never said anyone had to practice a man made religion or go to Church. That is not what dedicating your life to God means. Dedicating your life to God means keeping His Commandments, not breaking them and then going to Church where you think Church will save you.
0 Replies

Mary E

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 12:03 pm
@Intrepid,
Forgiveness doesn't mean condoning sin. With your attitude, I would never forgive someone like you and still be pardoned by God.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 01:52 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
Terry, if I were to have a megalomaniacal episode and think I am God, I might kill my neighbor's dog for not believing in me.

JL seems to be long gone but I had to say something about this comment because it is trotted out so often by so many.

It claims to take the question of God seriously but It shows a total lack of actually putting yourself in the scenario.

Say you actually ARE God, the creator of the universe, you gave every living creature it's very existence and to every sentient human you gave an ample opportunity to ponder the meaning of this existence. Given this chance some decide it's not even worth taking seriously enough to ponder. They have that choice.

Ask yourself, would you want to live with them?
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 03:53 pm
@Leadfoot,
Sure, why not?
0 Replies

Bekoo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 06:48 pm
@extra medium,
Some yes and some no.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2016 09:03 pm
Some people are just pickier than others about the company they keep.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:16 am
@extra medium,
You do not believe that anyone hardens into their hatred or violence or perversion and so you don't understand Hell. But someday you will. If a person can be good, truly good, then you must see that a person tends to the goal their actions lead to. Do enough of the wrong thing and you no longer think it wrong, you defend it, you stake your life on it.

0 Replies

timur

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:25 am
philistine brother wrote:
If a person can be good, truly good,

You certainly cannot be that person..
AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 11:49 am
@timur,
And you are hardened in that? Because I needed an example Wink
timur

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 12:12 pm
@AugustineBrother,
I'm not and I don't want to be an example.

But it upsets me a lot to see people going around uttering nonsense and especially stuff they have no evidence for.

I accept that people believe what crap they want to but I deny them the right to shove their beliefs down my throat.
Leadfoot

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 08:12 pm
@timur,
Quote:
I deny them the right to shove their beliefs down my throat.

There are places in the world where that can actually happen and I hear a lot of people complain about that possibility.

But I've never met another person in my life who lived in circumstances where that was an actual possibility. One wonders what their complaint actually is.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 04:11 am
@Leadfoot,
What do you call religious people knocking on your door wanting to talk about God if it's not them trying to ram their religion down your throat?

It's happened to me more times than I care to remember.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2016 09:24 am
@izzythepush,
"Ramming it down your throat" sounds a little extream for something that can be handled with "No thanks, I'm not interested." don't ya think?

Actually, I found the best way to get rid of them is to invite them in and reason with them. I think they must have a data base of 'no contact' addresses and this will get you on it.

I wish there was a way to get rid of **** like solicitors for various police/fire men's charities.