Dennis Miller Canceled Rplaced with Biz Show Rerun

Chrissee

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:25 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Chrissee, to ehBeth, wrote:

Uh, yeah, what is your point?

Pretty much reinforcing what your point was, Chrissee.

Ol' Timber here is trying to make the axing of Miller's show into some sort of conscious career move on Miller's part.

Sorry, I misread her post. Ol Timber would do well just to admit, for once, he is wrong.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 03:52 pm
If timber were wrong. However, timber ain't wrong, timber's take just isn't in accord with what others here would prefer. Miller quit when told his show was not up for renewal. Period.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:00 pm
"There's no job for you here"
"O.K. I quit."

You haven't been in the regular work force for a few years, have ya, timber.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:04 pm
You can't fire me, I quit!

LOL... Miller was fired Timber. In spite of all your rhetoric the simple fact remains. When a network show is cancelled or "failed to be picked up for the next season" the person is fired. Miller did not make the initial decision to terminate the relationship. The network did.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:11 pm
"As of this fall, there's no job for you here"

"OK - in that case, I quit now"

I do some hirin' and firin' from time to time. If Miller had been my employee, and had done as he did, quit immediately when informed his position was to be eliminated some weeks hence, I'd prolly feel pretty good about it; I'd have no unemployment costs, no severance pay, no benefits continuation to worry about. I certainly would think twice before trying to talk him out of going away right then and there. Doubt any of that mattered much in Miller's case, but it woulda mattered to me if I were the terminating employer ... the savings attributable to the incident would go right to the bottom line - in the current quarter.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:14 pm
The way I read all of the press releases is that the decision to cancel the show was made. CNBC was not going to renew, or "pick up" the next season. If you are let go at the end a contract, then no, you are not fired. If a pro athlete is let go at the end his/her contract, it is said he was released, not fired. Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:53 pm
No matter how much Timber tries to obfuscate with all this nonsense comparing a show being canceled to an emplyee/employer relationship, the following statement he made is a complete falsehood:

Quote:
What part of quit before cancelled don't you understand, Chrissee?

Miller did not quit before the show was canceled. What Miller did was choose not to palyout the run AFTER he was told either way, the show was canceled. Seems that Timber believes he is an expert on everything, he deifinitely shows a lack of understanding of TV. When a show is canceled it is customary that the remaining shows that were ordered run til the end of the season. I guess as poor as Miller is, CNBC would not have minded him sticking in out as even he would draw better numbers than reruns of a business show!

And furthermore, which also points out Timber's naivete, Miller was most likely paid the full term of his contract.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 05:09 pm
dennis miller fired/quit ... i didn't know anyone ever listened to my prayers ! hbg
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:18 pm
tommrr wrote:
If you are let go at the end a contract, then no, you are not fired. If a pro athlete is let go at the end his/her contract, it is said he was released, not fired.

If you read in the paper that a pro athlete was released, it means they were cut. It is the equivalent of fired.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:22 pm
Boss calls in employee to office on Tuesday, 11 AM.

Boss: "You're being replaced on the job. The new man starts Monday. Friday is your last day of work".

Employee: "In that case, I think I'll just clear out right now".

That's not firing?
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:24 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
tommrr wrote:
If you are let go at the end a contract, then no, you are not fired. If a pro athlete is let go at the end his/her contract, it is said he was released, not fired.

If you read in the paper that a pro athlete was released, it means they were cut. It is the equivalent of fired.

If they are released or cut at the end a contract period, then they are not fired, just not retained, kept, renewed. If it is during the contract period, then yes, it is fired.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:28 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
Boss calls in employee to office on Tuesday, 11 AM.

Boss: "You're being replaced on the job. The new man starts Monday. Friday is your last day of work".

Employee: "In that case, I think I'll just clear out right now".

That's not firing?

Yes, in that situation, it would be fired or for the PC crowd terminated. It is different for contract employees.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:29 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Not tryin' to make that assertion at all, kw. Merely pointing out that Miller, upon learning his show would not be picked up for the fall season, chose to leave immediately as opposed to filling out his series run.

You went a teensy bit farther than that, Timber. Very Happy

To repeat the quote:
timberlandko wrote:
Miller simply took the option of getting off the sinking ship before the water got to his shoes. CNBC has enjoyed what amounts to an all-but unparallelled ratings slide....Nielsen consistently has CNBC at the very bottom of the cable news outlets - as in DEAD LAST....Miller is not stupid; he realizes the best thing to do in a disaster is be elsewhere.

You made it sound as if Miller joyously found a clause in his contract which enabled him to leave. It wasn't that. There is no indication that Miller did not want to stay, if he was picked up. They told him to leave.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:37 pm
tommrr wrote:
If they are released or cut at the end a contract period, then they are not fired, just not retained, kept, renewed.

Tom, as a sports fan for many years, I feel safe in saying that most pro athletes want to play every year. The presumption is that if the team is satisfied with your play, you will get offered a new contract. If you are not offered one, then either

A) the player is so very valuable that the team figures another team will outbid them for the player-this applies to only a handful of top players, or

B) the team is essentially cutting the player
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:54 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
tommrr wrote:
If they are released or cut at the end a contract period, then they are not fired, just not retained, kept, renewed.

Tom, as a sports fan for many years, I feel safe in saying that most pro athletes want to play every year. The presumption is that if the team is satisfied with your play, you will get offered a new contract. If you are not offered one, then either

A) the player is so very valuable that the team figures another team will outbid them for the player-this applies to only a handful of top players, or

B) the team is essentially cutting the player

I too a sports fan for many years (and also a person that has worked exclusively for 20 years as a contract employee), lets run with your logic here.
C) The team is still satisfied with your play, but feel you are not worth the terms you are asking for or just can't afford them.

D) The team has decided on a new direction, and while still very capable, not a fit in the new plans.

Anyway, following with what you are saying, that essentially when someone is cut, or released, then they are fired. Would you agree then, that the 49ers fired Jerry Rice, or mutally parted ways because of one of the above ideas.
To me, being fired means that
A) You are not fullfilling the terms of your employment
B) You have violated a policy
Therefore, you are relieved of your duties either with or without notice and/or severance.
There is a difference between what happened with Miller, a person working under contract for a specific time frame, and being fired.
Was it his choice to leave the network? No. Was it his choice to leave the network as of yesterday? Yes
Was he fired??? no
Was he cancelled before quitting? Yes
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 06:56 pm
By the way, I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Miller left a few months before he had to.

For most people in TV, the TV show is the biggest thing they ever did. The TV show is the reason they are famous. Miller came to the TV show already famous. He already had stature.

A fellow who is only famous for his TV show might well want to last a few more months, hoping for a ratings upturn or for somebody in a position of power to offer him another show.

On the other hand, a fellow who did many other things before coming to TV would be hurting himself if he hung on, because it looks like he needs the show. As it stands now, Miller is in position to say, "Okay, I did the daily TV show bit, the gig didn't work, let's move onto the next thing".

For the fellow for whom the TV show is his claim to fame, he cannot be sure there actually will be a next thing. For Miller, who has done many things before coming to CNBC, it is smart for him to project confidence that he has other things to get busy on.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:01 pm
Or, put another way, a fellow whose stock in trade is to take verbal shots at the hypocrisy of those in power cannot afford to be seen as a lame duck just hoping someone picks up his show.

To be effective, Miller needs to project an image of "I call 'em as I see 'em, if you don't like it, goodbye".
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:02 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
By the way, I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Miller left a few months before he had to.

For most people in TV, the TV show is the biggest thing they ever did. The TV show is the reason they are famous. Miller came to the TV show already famous. He already had stature.

A fellow who is only famous for his TV show might well want to last a few more months, hoping for a ratings upturn or for somebody in a position of power to offer him another show.

On the other hand, a fellow who did many other things before coming to TV would be hurting himself if he hung on, because it looks like he needs the show. As it stands now, Miller is in position to say, "Okay, I did the daily TV show bit, the gig didn't work, let's move onto the next thing".

For the fellow for whom the TV show is his claim to fame, he cannot be sure there actually will be a next thing. For Miller, who has done many things before coming to CNBC, it is smart for him to project confidence that he has other things to get busy on.

I agree 100%. I knew that if we kept at it long enough, it would happen. The main thing is, and hard to admit, being a Dennis Miller fan, the show sucked. IT didn't get the numbers that the network wanted. Had it done that, we wouldn't be having this discussion. To me, it was too much like a conservative tilted Real Time w/Bill Maher.
The final result has nothing to do with politics as it does ratings.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:13 pm
The neat thing is that Kramer, who is a Philly guy, gives some GOOD financial advice. Wont miss Miller in the least , hes a one trick dog.Chevy Chase with some literary references . I suspect they will try to feature him on the Comedy Channel now that Dave Chapelle got fired.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 07:26 pm
farmerman wrote:
The neat thing is that Kramer, who is a Philly guy, gives some GOOD financial advice. Wont miss Miller in the least , hes a one trick dog.Chevy Chase with some literary references . I suspect they will try to feature him on the Comedy Channel now that Dave Chapelle got fired.

He wasn't fired either...still under contract
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7821711/
0 Replies