Dennis Miller Canceled Rplaced with Biz Show Rerun

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:55 pm

Right-wing "comedy" and commentary has run its course.

CNBC is canceling comic Dennis Miller's low-rated political talk show after less than 16 months, replacing it with a business show rerun.

Miller's prime-time program, featuring a mixture of comedy, interviews and his conservative political opinion, was seen by an average of 168,000 viewers since its January 2004 launch, according to Nielsen Media Research.

That number has dipped to 114,000 this year with the presidential election campaign over.

His show, seen at 9 p.m. EDT, will be replaced by a rerun of "Mad Money with Jim Cramer," three hours after its original airing.

Told of the cancellation, Miller "has let me know that his strong preference is to leave the program immediately," CNBC President Mark Hoffman wrote in a memo to his staff.

Miller's last episode will be Friday, he said.

CNBC, which has struggled to find an audience for anything in prime-time, will introduce a new business program at 7 p.m. later this year and continue with "The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch" at 10. The network airs reruns of NBC entertainment programming at 8.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,158 • Replies: 113
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:00 pm
He was never one of my favorite people.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 09:40 pm
Re: Dennis Miller Canceled Rplaced with Biz Show Rerun
Chrissee wrote:

CNBC is canceling comic Dennis Miller's low-rated political talk show after less than 16 months, replacing it with a business show rerun.

Miller's prime-time program, featuring a mixture of comedy, interviews and his conservative political opinion, was seen by an average of 168,000 viewers since its January 2004 launch, according to Nielsen Media Research.

That number has dipped to 114,000 this year with the presidential election campaign over.

His show, seen at 9 p.m. EDT, will be replaced by a rerun of "Mad Money with Jim Cramer," three hours after its original airing.

Told of the cancellation, Miller "has let me know that his strong preference is to leave the program immediately," CNBC President Mark Hoffman wrote in a memo to his staff.

CNBC, which has struggled to find an audience for anything in prime-time, will introduce a new business program at 7 p.m. later this year and continue with "The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch" at 10. The network airs reruns of NBC entertainment programming at 8.

Seeing as how they are having general issues with their primetime lineup I'm not suprised. I guess the Irish guy is still holding strong in that time frame.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:16 pm
Miller simply took the option of getting off the sinking ship before the water got to his shoes. CNBC has enjoyed what amounts to an all-but unparallelled ratings slide, and this fall will face competition from FOX's own financial news channel. His show is one of the few prime-time offerings on CNBC with higher average viewership than home shopping channels. Nielsen consistently has CNBC at the very bottom of the cable news outlets - as in DEAD LAST - not a real good position from which to sell advertising. Miller is not stupid; he realizes the best thing to do in a disaster is be elsewhere. Of interest is that he now is free to move to FOX's upcomming financial news channel without the baggage of an existing contract with a competitor. Look for it to happen.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:36 pm
But could it be that the right wing tv and radio demagogue market is somewhat saturated?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 10:39 pm
Of course it COULD be - its an infinite universe.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:18 pm
Well I was being tentative for a reason. I don't know the answer. However I suspect that the right wing demagogues are getting a bit stale. I meant the glory days were really when G Gordon Liddy could go on about Occupied Washington DC and tell people how to kill ATF agents. I suspect that kind of thing is a bit passe now though.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 11:35 pm
Fringies are fringies, left or right - and neither left nor right has that market cornered. Idiocy is an equal-opportunity deal.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:46 am
timberlandko wrote:
Miller simply took the option of getting off the sinking ship before the water got to his shoes..

Nonsense. Miller was canceled. Axed. Fired. What part of being canceled don't you understand?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:48 am
Re: Dennis Miller Canceled Rplaced with Biz Show Rerun
Baldimo wrote:
Chrissee wrote:

Seeing as how they are having general issues with their primetime lineup I'm not suprised. I guess the Irish guy is still holding strong in that time frame.

What is he? Like 39th in that time slot?
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:04 am
I actually thought Miller was moderately funny..........

When he came from a liberal point of view.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:27 am
Quote:
I wanted to let you all know that we will be expanding our signature Business Day programming up to Primetime on the East Coast and will be adding an additional airing of "Mad Money with Jim Cramer" at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

We will be introducing a new Business Day program at 7 p.m. ET sometime in the Third Quarter. I will share additional details about this program in the coming weeks.

As the Business News Leader, it is incumbent upon us to ensure that our influential, out-of-home audience has access to our signature Business Day programming throughout their business day from coast to coast.

I have spoken with Dennis Miller about these plans and he has let me know that his strong preference is to leave his program immediately. Therefore, the final episode of "Dennis Miller" will air this Friday, May 13.

Dennis is an exceptionally talented comedian with an unmatched wit and he and his team consistently delivered a very entertaining program. I want to personally thank Dennis, Eddie Feldmann and their entire group. We are all very proud of their accomplishments and wish them nothing but the best for the future.

"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" will continue to re-air on the network at 7 p.m. ET/PT until the launch of the above mentioned new program. "The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch" will remain at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

CNBC is a trusted, real-time investor network and our viewers rely on us for actionable information wrapped in the most compelling business stories of the day. This announcement reinforces our commitment to delivering on that expectation and our mission.

Mark"

Source

What part of quit before cancelled don't you understand, Chrissee?

CNBC is frantic. Its no secret they have slid to the bottom of their market segment, and are desperate:

Quote:
This past week saw a bit of a palace coup at the kingpin of business television, General Electric's (NYSE: GE) CNBC. The network's Nielsen ratings have plummeted over the past four years, having lost more than 60% of its viewership, down to 134,000 households. CNBC's prime-time lineup can best be described as a "cost center," given that the shows tend to attract fewer viewers than does the average small-town mountain oyster festival. Even CNBC's flagship show, Squawk Box, seems to be flailing: It averaged only 94,000 viewers in January, down more than 40% from the previous year.
Source

FOX, on the other hand, has no such worries - FOX is THE BIG WORRY for its competition:

0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:31 am
To Miller, with his tiresome smirk and seeming delight at his own witticisms, I say, "Good riddance."

Now that he's been dumped from Monday Night Football and this gig, I wonder what his next move will be? Perhaps Fox will hire him...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:37 am
giving bj's at the bus station third phone booth from the right if it will make him a buck.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:23 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Oh, come on, Timber. CNBC told Miller they were replacing his show with another and as a courtesy, asked him if he wanted to leave right away or hang on for a short time.

How on Earth does that make Miller any less fired?

Talk about humiliations. Miller's replacement is reruns. Reruns! That's like a boss firing you and telling you that he has no plans to hire anyone to do the job you did. What an insult!
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:33 pm
kelticwizard wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

Oh, come on, Timber. CNBC told Miller they were replacing his show with another and as a courtesy, asked him if he wanted to leave right away or hang on for a short time.

How on Earth does that make Miller any less fired?

Talk about humiliations. Miller's replacement is reruns. Reruns! That's like a boss firing you and telling you that he has no plans to hire anyone to do the job you did. What an insult!

Of course, he was fired.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 08:38 pm
Still, I draw no joy from Miller's firing. Even though he has switched political sides, I like the guy's style, if not his viewpoint these days. And you have to still like him a little for the great job he did on Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live lo those many years ago.

I'm going to remember him for one of the funniest lines I ever heard. In a bit about how serial killers so often manage to live in quiet residential neighborhoods and manage to commit amazing crimes without rousing the slightest suspicion from their neighbors, Miller said:

"When you hit forty, you've given up on trying to reform anyone. You just want to make sure you're not living next door to them when they finally blow".
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:04 pm
Have it your way. I read "... I have spoken with Dennis Miller about these plans and he has let me know that his strong preference is to leave his program immediately ... ", coupled with the fact no replacement was ready to fill the timeslot, as Miller quitting rather more abruptly than CNBC had foreseen. Broadcasting & Cable reads it the same way:
Quote:
Dennis Miller Says So Long to CNBC

By John Higgins -- Broadcasting & Cable, 5/11/2005 5:25:00 PM

CNBC doesn't have to cancel its low-rated prime time shows these days, because the hosts decide to leave first. Dennis Miller, host of Dennis Miller, became the latest one to do so, exiting the weekday talk show. The final episode airs Friday. Miller has been on the network since January 2004, but the audience never got very large, averaging just 100,000 total viewers last week. Miller's exit follows that of Tina Brown, who is ending her weekly show, Topic A with Tina Brown, which got even weaker ratings. In a memo to employees, CNBC President Mark Hoffman says he bumped Miller out of its slot, planning to rerun Mad Money with Jim Cramer in Miller's 9 p.m. ET time slot.

You read it however you want.

Miller's show certainly wasn't a ratings leader - but nothing on CNBC primetime has been.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:16 pm
You are misreading that statement, either way, the show was canceled. In other words: whether or not Miller chose to continue doing the show for the balance of the SEASON. When TV shows are canceled, usually the shows already ordered play on until the end of the season.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:19 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Have it your way. I read "... I have spoken with Dennis Miller about these plans and he has let me know that his strong preference is to leave his program immediately ... ",

Miller's show certainly wasn't a ratings leader - but nothing on CNBC primetime has been.

Well, yes, Timber, but the "plans" that CNBC called Miller in to discuss was that Miller's show wasn't in their plans at all.

So that's a firing.

Now, if they called in Miller and said that they wanted to discuss restucturing the show, and Miller decided he would not go along with the changes, then you arguably have a quitting.

But in this case there was no such doubt. Miller's show was being replaced, there was no place for Miller on the network. That's a firing.
0 Replies