Dennis Miller Canceled Rplaced with Biz Show Rerun

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:24 pm
I would also point out that sometimes when the boss proposes "changes", he really wants you to quit-so he "proposes" things knowing full well you could not accept them without being embarrassed.

That pretty much amounts to a firing as well, (although I don't know if you can collect unemployment for it). Somehow, in this salary range, I don't think unemployment checks get filed for. Very Happy
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:25 pm
Business network CNBC cancels Dennis Miller show
Thu May 12, 2005 6:59 PM GMT-04:00

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Financial cable TV network CNBC has canceled comedian Dennis Miller's prime-time program as part of a plan to boost its business news coverage in the evening, according to an internal memo circulated on Thursday.

CNBC hopes that by airing more financial news during U.S. East Coast night hours, it will retain West Coast viewers who are watching during their late business and early evening hours.

"Dennis Miller" aired at 9 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. PDT. The former "Saturday Night Live" comedian and "Monday Night Football" color commentator mixed humor with serious newsmaker interviews and political discussion. His show will be replaced by "Mad Money with Jim Cramer," featuring financial markets commentator Cramer.

I

-------------------------------------------------------------------

CNBC to put biz news into evening hours

By Paul J. Gough
NEW YORK -- After months of speculation about the fate of its primetime programming, CNBC canceled "Dennis Miller" and said it would expand its business-news programming into the evening hours this year.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:30 pm
As I said, have it your way. It will be interesting to see Miller's statement. Wonder what he'll say.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 09:58 pm
Can't ever admit you are wrong, can you?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:13 pm
This much is not in doubt: CNBC cancelled Miller's show, against Miller's wishes.

I'm sure Miller will pop up somewhere sooner or later. He is a talented comedian and commentator.

Personally, if I were Lorne Michaels, I'd be thinking of bringing Miller back to host Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live again. That show needs help, and humor-wise, Weekend Update has been getting it's butt kicked for years by The Daily Show.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 10:17 pm
I was really surprised at how royally Miller's show sucked.

I watched it the first three shows, thinking they were ironing out kinks...it would get better...he'd find his groove...

Good God, it sucked.

He is talented, but he just didn't find his niche.

Keltic's right. He'll find a spot somewhere.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:21 am
This pretty much upstages Dennis Miller -

http://www.gogomag.com/rc/x_ritacosby.jpg

Quote:
Anchor Cosby off Fox News
'Big Story' host's departure is immediate

By MICHAEL LEARMONTH

NEW YORK -- Fox News Channel will not renew a contract with weekend host Rita Cosby, as the two sides couldn't come to an agreement on an extension, the network said.
Cosby hosted "The Big Story Weekend Edition With Rita Cosby" at 9 p.m. Saturday. On Sunday at 6 p.m. she hosted "Fox News Live With Rita Cosby."

Cosby will leave the network immediately. No replacement host has been appointed, nor has a decision been made on the future of the shows, Fox News said.
Date in print: Fri., May 13, 2005, Los Angeles
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:50 am
This is hilarious. Very Happy Very Happy

With all respect Timber, Chrissee is right-on this issue, you can't admit you're wrong.

The story is that Miller's show got cancelled-call it firing, whatever. He got cancelled, he didn't quit.

This might have some political significance since Miller has lately worked himself over to the conservative side and strong support for Bush on Iraq.

So at first you try to spin it that Miller left voluntarily because the network was having difficulties. When that didn't work, you tried to say the real story is that Fox News was doing so well against CNBC. When that didn't work, you said Rita Crosby's leaving Fox over a contract dispute is more important than Miller's cancellation anyway.

You're a card, Timber. Anything to keep from focusing on the one thing the thread is about-Miller got the boot. Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 10:38 am
Quote:
You read it however you want.

"SHALL I LEAVE TOWN NOW OR WAIT TILL IM LYNCHED"

"DO YOU WISH A CIGARETTE BEFORE THE EXECUTION"

"SENTENCING BEFORE JUDGEMENT"

Thats how I read it. I quit likeing Dennis Miller when I realized that partway into his "rants" on HBO, he was reading his lines and he didnt even know how to pronounce Peloponnesian
The fact that he became a neocon was merely further evidence of his slide into madness
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:39 am
kelticwizard wrote:
This is hilarious. Very Happy Very Happy

With all respect Timber, Chrissee is right-on this issue, you can't admit you're wrong.

The story is that Miller's show got cancelled-call it firing, whatever. He got cancelled, he didn't quit.

This might have some political significance since Miller has lately worked himself over to the conservative side and strong support for Bush on Iraq.

So at first you try to spin it that Miller left voluntarily because the network was having difficulties. When that didn't work, you tried to say the real story is that Fox News was doing so well against CNBC. When that didn't work, you said Rita Crosby's leaving Fox over a contract dispute is more important than Miller's cancellation anyway.

You're a card, Timber. Anything to keep from focusing on the one thing the thread is about-Miller got the boot. Very Happy Very Happy

Absolute nonsense. First, I never said " ... Miller left voluntarily because the network was having difficulties ... ". Next, I never said " ... the real story is that Fox News was doing so well against CNBC ... ", and finally I never said " ... Rita Crosby's leaving Fox over a contract dispute is more important than Miller's cancellation anyway".

Sure Miller's show was not to be picked up for the fall season. It was dropped - for the fall season. Miller chose to depart immediately, as opposed to finishing out the summer season. Miller "got the boot" for the fall season. Miller walked out - without management objection - when told his show would not be picked up for the fall season - that is the single, simple fact. Sure, Miller was let go ... but he wasn't "fired on the spot" as some folks seem determined to believe.

What's really funny is how desperate for good political news some folks are - desperate enough they manufacture it where none exists. Miller's volititonal early departure from the troubled CNBC which has decided to swing its primetime lineup to financial news for the fall season has nothing to do with politics, it was s purely a business matter, and Miller's immediate departure was his choice. Not that it will matter, but I refer you again to Broadcast & Cable Online, which reports the matter factually:

Quote:
Dennis Miller Says So Long to CNBC

By John Higgins -- Broadcasting & Cable, 5/11/2005 5:25:00 PM

CNBC doesn't have to cancel its low-rated prime time shows these days, because the hosts decide to leave first. Dennis Miller, host of Dennis Miller, became the latest one to do so, exiting the weekday talk show. The final episode airs Friday. Miller has been on the network since January 2004, but the audience never got very large, averaging just 100,000 total viewers last week. Miller's exit follows that of Tina Brown, who is ending her weekly show, Topic A with Tina Brown, which got even weaker ratings. In a memo to employees, CNBC President Mark Hoffman says he bumped Miller out of its slot, planning to rerun Mad Money with Jim Cramer in Miller's 9 p.m. ET time slot.

Again, not that that will matter to some. Those who choose to do so are welcome to go ahead and perceive "victories" wherever they think they perceive them, just as they're free to perceive issues where none exist.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:24 pm
Jeez, what a tempest in a teapot. His show is ending, and it had poor ratings. Can we agree on that much?

The rest is irrelevant, no?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:39 pm
D'Art, timber would like to make his point. And for the discussion to end at that point.

Oh, but didn't he say on another thread he doesn't care for that sort of behaviour?

Why, yes he did.

Quote:
I really get a kick outta the "win or lose" types that insist they've "won" as a tactic to close a discussion - and then get all wadded up when the discussion doesn't obediently close.

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1334356#1334356

There sure is a lot of pot/kettle/black stuff around here lately.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:47 pm
I guess I understand now...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 12:59 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Jeez, what a tempest in a teapot. His show is ending, and it had poor ratings. Can we agree on that much?

That's it in a nutshell. That some are determined to make more of it is most amusing from my perspective. Irrelevance appears to be the conscious goal of some.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 01:05 pm
ehBeth wrote:
D'Art, timber would like to make his point. And for the discussion to end at that point.

Oh, but didn't he say on another thread he doesn't care for that sort of behaviour?

Why, yes he did.

Quote:
I really get a kick outta the "win or lose" types that insist they've "won" as a tactic to close a discussion - and then get all wadded up when the discussion doesn't obediently close.

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1334356#1334356

There sure is a lot of pot/kettle/black stuff around here lately.

I know you'll take issue with this, ehBeth, but I believe your commentary serves handsomely to validate the point I was making in the comment you cited Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:30 pm
Funny how Timberlandko, rather than just admit he was mistaken, tried to change th e subject to Rita Cosby.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:33 pm
timberlandko wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

That's it in a nutshell. That some are determined to make more of it is most amusing from my perspective. Irrelevance appears to be the conscious goal of some.

Yes, and your posts stand as perfect examples.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:48 pm
Have it your way, Chrissee - you're as entitled to have and state your opinion as is anyone else. And anyone is entitled to weigh any opinion as they may find warranted.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 08:56 pm
Funny how Chris keeps saying the gays are accepted by the Catholic Church, even though they're not.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 09:00 pm
Humor is where you find it. There's plenty to be found.
0 Replies