If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

tinygiraffe

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 06:49 am
Quote:
At the moment in the USA, fundamentalists support Israel because Israel in the "Holy Land" is a precondition to the "End Of Days", as they see it.

These people are expecting a nuclear conflagration, and they welcome it.

Meanwhile some muslims are trying to inflict whatever damage they can on the West, in the name of their religion.

Yes, I take it seriously. Don't you?

i take that seriously, but i don't think that's a good example of religion. i mean anything can be a religion, right? if someone invades the country, and steals everything, and rapes all the kids, they can call that religion. if the next day, people go on a crusade against religion, i would think they're suckers.

i mean blaming god and blaming the devil are the same thing. either way, i have to look at you like you're mad. it's your fault, not god's. it's our fault, it's got nothing to do with religion at all. but sure, religion is a great copout, for "us" and for "them." because no one can question it.

but do you think blaming religion for what people do will help? and do you intend to get rid of all the flags in the world, too? our flag is our red, white, and blue cross. our war on terror is our crusade. would we do it if there was no religion? absolutely.

so religion is being taken much too seriously on both sides. it should never be taken so seriously that we could even think of blaming a holocaust or crusade on it. it shouldn't be taken any more seriously than if someone said "well i had to kill john lennon, because god told me to." right... the devil made us do it. that's silly. you're entitled to disagree.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 06:56 am
Quote:
The bible and the koran cannot both provide the truth.

that's just not true. but they would have to be read differently:

"i told god, i will do unto others as i would have them do unto me"

"god commanded me, to do unto others as i would have them to unto me"

"do unto others as they would do unto you, or i will destroy the earth, said god."

these are different ways of conveying the same truth. the last one is the most absurd, and seems to contradict itself.

the message is the same. you can pick at it, but it'll never heal if you keep picking.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:08 am
Quote:
well in truth the angel Morini took the plates back... i think this is because We have to have faith... if we had the golden plates well why would we need to really trust that they were really and that they exisited... if we had them it would be like science... but since we dont all we can do is put our faith in god that they did exisit and that he did reveal them to joseph smith... hope that makes sense

i won't correct "morini" because i and o are next to each other, it's obvious what you meant. (but at least you used capital letters.)

i don't like to put my faith in things that are racist and bigoted towards women and other innocent groups of people. mormons are very interesting, they have a very superficial kind of family.

it would take a lot more than faith to buy the mormon story, after examining the people telling it for long enough. supposedly god and jesus have commanded joseph smith to build the one true church above all the others. i don't think the church that's in place could ever be like that, but it isn't now and it shows no sign of becoming that.

if i have faith the mormon church could be better, i could put that faith in myself just as easily. you say mormons know god. fine. i do too. and he says i'll be fine without them. god is cool like that, he says whatever we put in his mouth.

i happen to know the church has a doctrine about spending your time with people that "build up" the church instead of criticising it, and sooner or later, you will follow that doctrine and stop coming here, or ignore it.

i don't want you to feel unwelcome, since you've been perfectly reasonable. but it's worth pointing out how strict the rules are that you think people should have faith in. apparantly god doesn't think your faith should stand up to our criticism, and he's advised you to stay away from bad people like us. sounds very jim jones to me.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:25 am
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:

that's just not true. but they would have to be read differently. . .
Ahem!
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:42 am
yes?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:33 am
Ashers wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
the bible wrote:
The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple. (John 8:57-59)

"I and the Father are one." The Jews took up stones again to stone Him. Jesus answered them, "I showed you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you stoning Me?" The Jews answered Him, "For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God." (John 10:30-33)

And Jesus cried out and said, "He who believes in Me does not believe in Me, but in Him who sent Me. And he who beholds Me beholds the One who sent Me. I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness." (John 12:44-46)

And so when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments, and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for I am. If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet." (John 13:12-14)

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him." Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'Show us the Father'?" (John 14:6-9)

make sense of that

Well I'm no christian but the above is interesting, for what it's worth then my interpretation is something like this:

The crux of the problem with the above quotes is that, as it's written, Jesus seems to be talking from and moving between two different perspectives, even within single sentences. The two different perspectives are, IMO, his personality, the person Jesus, who walked and talked etc and our original nature, I think maybe the buddhists call it buddha nature, or possibly the higher Self with the Hindu's. Anyway this "original nature" needn't be explained in great detail except to say that, for me, it is at the crux of religion in it's truest sense which essentially involves a consideration of our true, underlying relationship with the world around us. The important thing though, is that it's not a thing out there to be used, controlled, dominated or killed by/for. It's not a being or a thing that smites people, there's no personality at this level. Anyway I emphasise this last bit to try and shed a little light on the quotes above so,

Here's an example:

Quote:
He who believes in Me does not believe in Me, but in Him who sent Me

He who believes in man's true underlying nature, our true relationship with the world (1st Me) does not believe in me the person, the individual, my various wants and needs, my whims and opinions or my individual influence in the here and now (2nd Me), but in the underlying nature of the world from which we all originate (Him) and shall return to.

I just assume that the writer has the intention (at least with some) of trying to simply convey something. Jesus seems to have been used to portray a man, so as to allow dialogue, that truly represents (as best as mere words can) our (the collective us, not this person or that, or those that submit etc, EVERYONE) true nature and relationship with the world. So, when he says:

Quote:
I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me

I don't see it as, I the person, Jesus am the only way to truth, as in I the person hold some ideas close to my chest that you must submit to in some petty way, in order to have this "truth" but rather that again, the I in this sentence is not some personality but the fundamental nature of the world which is ultimately beyond words and therefore beyond any possible use for control and domination, it is utterly peaceful. Now I tend to take this interpretation purely because I see some sense in it, many might call it a bit of a "mystical" interpretation but I do think there's some consistency in it and it also lines up nicely with the idea of religion that is thoroughly aghast at control, domination and hatred. I guess when someone talks about the true nature of the world and then says it is beyond words there is a certain, instinctual reaction that it's all a bit la dee da and devoid of importance or meaning. OK fair enough, each to their own, I don't really have the inclination to argue against that. It is, at least to me though, interesting to consider the nature and limitations of words which is then the source of a wider debate that links in, on occasion, with much of the above.

Maybe it's the religious people who use the bible to justify such horific acts of hatred and nastiness that you'd most like to hear from though! Smile
excellent post Ashers. Almost makes me ashamed of my flippant attitude towards religion.

Almost...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 04:41 am
Well today is Friday. The Muslim holy day. I have not checked the news, but I can guarantee some act of horrendous violence motivated by religion. Probably in Pakistan.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:11 am
Quote:
I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me

I don't see it as, I the person, Jesus am the only way to truth, as in I the person hold some ideas close to my chest that you must submit to in some petty way, in order to have this "truth" but rather that again, the I in this sentence is not some personality but the fundamental nature of the world which is ultimately beyond words and therefore beyond any possible use for control and domination, it is utterly peaceful. Now I tend to take this interpretation purely because I see some sense in it, many might call it a bit of a "mystical" interpretation but I do think there's some consistency in it and it also lines up nicely with the idea of religion that is thoroughly aghast at control, domination and hatred.

finally! this in my opinion is christianity's biggest problem, the one that lends itself best to fundamentalism. and i interpret it the same way you do.

i didn't know how long it would be before i found someone that came out and said it, however. thank you, ashers.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 07:17 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Well today is Friday. The Muslim holy day. I have not checked the news, but I can guarantee some act of horrendous violence motivated by religion. Probably in Pakistan.

You almost seem to relish this thought so that you can be right. Shocked

With the troubles in Pakistan, of course there will probably be continued violence. You say this is in the name of religious is both ignorant and stupid.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:49 am
neologist wrote:
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:

that's just not true. but they would have to be read differently. . .
Ahem!
tinygiraffe wrote:
yes?
Both true, but must be read differently?

Hey, I just made breakfast. C'mon over to see this 3 sided pancake.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:55 am
Intrepid wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:

You almost seem to relish this thought so that you can be right. Shocked

With the troubles in Pakistan, of course there will probably be continued violence. You say this is in the name of religious is both ignorant and stupid.
I dont claim omniscience so admit to the ignorant bit. But I'm not daft.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 10:38 pm
Glad to hear it. :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 03:43 am
Y'all should read Christopher Hitchens' book, it's really very good.

I've nearly finished it now.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 04:17 am
I'll read it.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:42 am
an atheist, on a crusade? hitchens and larry craig should have tea and scones, i think. no more self-hating.

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/3620/pinkjl7.jpg
0 Replies

gold einstein

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:35 pm
Jesus < God Geova. Gio 14:28 -Avete udito che vi ho detto: Vado via e torno da voi. Se mi amaste, vi rallegrereste che me ne vado al Padre, perché il Padre è maggiore di me.
Francis

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 02:53 pm
@gold einstein,
Stop the nasty thing, please..
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 03:00 pm
?
John 14:28 simply states Jesus' acknowledgement of Jehovah's headship.
Francis

Fri 27 Nov, 2009 03:05 pm
@neologist,
No need to translate, Neo.

However, I find quoting the fairy book, as if was the word of god, a nasty thing to do, because of the proselytizing implied..
gold einstein

Sat 28 Nov, 2009 08:06 am
@Francis,
Mar 12 :32 - Lo scriba gli disse: “Maestro, hai detto bene secondo verità: ‘Egli è Uno solo, e non c’è altri che Lui’;