..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 06:46 am
It would be more perfecter if you threw in a bit more color.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 03:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nat King Cole has been one of my favorite vocalists for many decades.
farmerman

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 09:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Taking a boat South to Fla Next week, (if all the plans and the wether holds). Long range is for calm ses and middling temps on shore winds so a trip on the intercoastal may be a respite from sailing out to Bermuda and in. Shes a nice rig and Ive got Mrs F as cook and two otr couple who volunteered to crew. A week or more is easily doable at a snail pace and nobody Ive talked with wants to set a record. We may make a coupla night stops off the boat.
Ill probably be signing off for maybe 10 days starting Mon or Tues.

We have an old cat that needs a sitter so we have an AMish girl to live in and take care of the cat and the house. She "likes" tv so Im not certain about her lifetime prognoosis as a"House Amish". Cats her friend .

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 10:50 am
@farmerman,
Bon Voyage, and have a fun and safe trip.

Did I already mention that my wife and I are doing the one week Columbia and Snake river cruise in October. Looking forward to it.
https://www.americancruiselines.com/cruises/alaska-and-pacific-northwest/columbia-and-snake-rivers-cruise
farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 08:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
gear all stowed. We wil be outbound . on Monday. Look like a big H i gonna settle in so we may just reach for Bermuda instead of the intercoastal .

Believe it or not I got sick on a Mississippi Riverboat. When Im on any kind of boat thats longer than 150' , I have trouble with my internal horizons and I get nauseated really fast. When we were piloting our 40' lobsterboat, we were always buy and IAPETUS rode the waves differently than a big scow.
We did a "Freighter trip" through panama with the kids many yars ago. I got sick there too and it took me several days to acclimate. Then when I got back on land it took me several days to re acclimate.

I take to small boats much better(as long as they are appointed nicely and Im either captain or part of a busy crew.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jun, 2018 08:16 pm
@farmerman,
My wife gets seasick out at sea, but is okay on riverboats. I've done both Atlantic and Pacific crossings, and many rivers including Yangtze, Nile, Thames, Elbe, Amazon, Mississippi, and Volga.
farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2018 08:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
casting off bout 4 PM tomorrow. Gives us a bunch of hours to get to CRisfield Md and pick up anpther couple . Maybe well have some seafood for supper.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2018 08:25 pm
@farmerman,
Seafood sounds appropriate - probably more than once.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 05:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
dang dqmn good time . Hot nd breezed up all way sout'. Were back at a marina near Crisfield where one of the couples has an apartment along the docks. Sleepin on board tonight, off to Northeast here the old cow needs some work . The shaft pcking was leaking and we qere dewatering mot of the way out. They made some minr repairs in SC and e had a nice worry -free trip on home. We should be back at the farm by PM (7/3).
Lotw of Finbacks and Minke whales and we collected brown pelicans who thought our boat was a Holiday Inn .
As we were out pretty far and Im usually takin the latest AM watch where ill usually be making tea(Harney's natch) and shooing pelicans off the deck. One took a liking to our rig and sat aboard most the way In to Charleston SC.
COming back we had the wind and ' stream with us and we moved like a sailfish .

Lookin foward to RIBS on the 4th.

night night.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 06:26 pm
@farmerman,
dewatering

sounds so nice doesn't it

Crisfield was/is a nice town. We've had some good meals there over the years.

Back to Northeast Harbor?

Hope you got some good pix of the whales and pelican crowds.
farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 11:33 am
@ehBeth,
HOME. Northeast is a town in Cecil County Maryland. Its as far North nd still be in the Chesapeake Bay. By order of the ACE, the Chesapeake By starts at the lighthouse in community Park Havre de Grace.

Really steaming hot on shore, JEEEZUS H.CHRISSE.

Crisfield is pretty much a town that is rebounding. The seafood shacks nd bots are mostly gone save th market hunters and oyster farms (Oysters have made a huge rebound becaue they are now farmed like sweet corn).
Crisfield is turning into a tourist development center with waterside condos and pleasure craft. All the boats to SMith and Tangier Islands leave from Crisfield.
Ya gotta stay tuned to shoal reports (specially with heavy keel bottoms)
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 11:52 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
all the boats to SMith and Tangier Islands leave from Crisfield.

that's how I got to know it - meals to and from Smith and Tangiers. Oyster fritters. Oyster stew. fried oysters on a bun. fairly recently I 'met' a Smith from Smith Island on another forum. He sent me a traditional recipe that I'm trying to shrink so I can make it. I don't really need a cake that serves 20+
farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
SMITH ISLAND CAKES!!!! SLOWLY I TURNED...
Our first time out we bought a couple of the overpriced undersized cakes as souverniers. Ive seen cupcakes bigger. They are 50 bucks (US) now.

we passed by Smith nd Tangier on the way out. We did hail a "buy Boat" and got some crabs at a reasonable price
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 12:38 pm
@farmerman,
I have the recipe. Indeedy-do.

Fine Cooking has a half-size one. Someday I'll go crazy and do a compare and contrast with the recipe I got from Winston.

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/smith-island-cake

one cake for 10 - 12, one for 20+
just what I need

https://d2pipq2h1lflvy.cloudfront.net/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/-/a-145.jpg
Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 03:58 pm
@ehBeth,
I saw mention of pistachio gelato being served with the cake. A winning combination.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 04:12 pm
@Sturgis,
mmmm pistachio
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 05:00 pm
@Sturgis,
every Smith Island cake Ive et, is a yellow cake w/ chocolate icing. Dont they make another friggin flavor? Im not a big chocolate admirer excpt with malt
farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 09:33 am
@farmerman,
Going to sea again. Piloting a Cheoy Lee to Gran Bahama. be back in a week or so (See how long we can milk this one (as long as hurricane season remains "at bay")
ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 10:10 am
@farmerman,
stay dry out there
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 10:29 am
@ehBeth,
And always a hand's width of water under your keel!