..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2018 10:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
flew back yesterday to the non-commercial runway at Summit Aviation (those of you who remember Viet Nam will recall reading about spy missions from this unpretentious farm surrounded airfield in New Castle Delaware. The boat owner was quite wealthy and after that yatch is re appointed and refit with ultra ultra electronics, he will tak it out to Bermuda and then across the pond to one of the Harbours off Italy . His crew was well trained and the lucky dogs are now living an expense paid life off Abaco, BVI.
The owner had refit a former style Cheoy Li with all sorts of luxurious gizmotech and pressured water systems with plated gold faucets. The galley was made to look kinda Trumpey(no not him, the moto yatch company), an Hinkley match colors starting with an entire deep blue(indigo) hull gainst light tan freeboard, IT is beeaautiful . As was the line in Jurassic Park'"He spared no expense".

farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2018 08:41 am
@farmerman,
Seems they want me to bring the boat back from Abaco. Took us about 3 seconds to say YESSIREE.

We gone for another week or more after a (hopefully) uneventful flight to the BVI.. No inside passgaes this time. We gotta get up to SW Harbour so Were going Gulf Stream and maine Eddy. Qeather looks really good after tonite and Ill keep er in lanes as we test out all the new navvies. Theyve been sening me instruction sheets ("for Dummies") and Mrs F is packing some of her best seafood pie recipes.
She be the Lady of the Larder this trip.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2018 09:26 am
@farmerman,
Enjoy! (Not only the pies)
farmerman

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2018 02:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
If weve time, and everybody has good papers, well stop and visit the Onions (or whatever veggie they call themselves)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2018 02:17 am
@farmerman,
Hoping that you had had that time Wink

Perhaps of some interest: In the fight against barnacles - non-stick surfaces in the ocean
farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 12:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
delivered the re-fitted boat and spent almost a week in the land of the "Onions". We now have a connection for renting a cape bungalow for a sustained vacation on the island. Di a bit of biking. Theyve got many of those electric assist bikes for the hilly land.
Food ws good if you could stay with the Portuguese or Mexican styles. Brit food, not so much laden with flavor( if it werent for the sherry peppers and rum spiced capsica ).

Some a their traditional English stews and hotpots are too salty cause they all start out with that vile ham a,d I dont think they bathe the damn salt out of it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 01:06 pm
This thread started in 2005... whered all those summers go?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 01:31 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
... whered all those summers go?
Aft.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2018 01:34 pm
@rosborne979,
experience and memory. Great , n several scary memories.

La Tet and Belle Isle Straits come o mind
farmerman

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2018 10:12 am
@farmerman,
Im supposed to putter a 40 ft lobstah boat yatch down ta Charleston on Mon. Im hopin I can delay it based on this pesky hurricane that seems to be aiming at the Carolinas. I dont wanna get crunched because of some stupid schedule requirement.

Well, its been quiet up till now.

I hate sailin the left side of a boat into the storms.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2018 10:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Belle Isle Straits come o mind

now you've given me an ear worm
ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2018 10:38 am
@ehBeth,

http://dragon.sleepdeprived.ca/songbook/songs9/S9_22.htm

Quote:

I have heard the wild wind sing the places that I have been
Bay Bull and Red Deer and Strait of Bells Isle
Names like Grand Mere and Silverthorne
Moose Jaw and Marrowbone,
Trails of the pioneer, named with a smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2018 11:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I hate sailin the left side of a boat into the storms.
Why?

https://i.imgur.com/UOQ6Xj6l.jpg

Would it be easier when coming from starboard?

(I have never experienced sailing in real storms, but I hated shipping through a narrow gat without the motor [400 PS (294 kW)] running, only under sail, in stronger winds, with a kutter-ketch. We were a touristic attraction for a couple of hours.)
farmerman

Reply Sat 15 Sep, 2018 04:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
in a smalliwh boqt like this one is, we seem to get all the wave action from port. AND, In thi case, (before we were able to snug up and sit it out near Oceana Va, we hit some tasty bigass rollers. Wed actually lose radar when we were in the troughs .

e sat around for several days and then caught a plane back to Georgetown Sel, here we hd the car.
Im still taking the lobbstah boat down to the port of Charleston but were waiting out till Fo decides where the hell hes going.
Were home qnd planning for a Sept 21 departure. Lotta damage further south along the intercoastal, o it looks like Ill have to take er out. Im hoping we get some crisp fall like days. I wish this was a sailing rig, that woulda been more fun. The biggest thing with tehse diesel rig (Talaria styles), is they lose their plane an the damn things feel like they bottom out as we try to keep it making headway but at less than 6kn.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 12:02 am
@farmerman,
Best wishes, stay safe, and always have a hand's width of water under its keel!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 05:49 am
@farmerman,
wow, my typos have gotten totally gross. Ive been working a full size keyboard on the boat so now Im back to this damned tablet and my laptop.

We will be heading to Charleston probably by Thurs or Fri. They suffered some major flooding but the marina were destined is a Marine Railroad and its only necessary to power wash the tracks after a quick brush with a road brush on the back of a tractor.

Were going to drive down to Del and power it up on Thurs (present plans under the direction of the weather). Till then, Ive got enough garden weeding and veggire picking here at home. We had a house sitter and a lady to care for the flocks and the cattle and xhickens and cats and the doofus dog. Shes been doing up tomato sauce and she makes a helluva good stewed tomatoes that she did like 26 jars worth these last coupla weeks.

We got some nice edges of Fall already and the crisper weather was welcome.

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
talked about you today - another A2ker was in town from Pa - introduced him to the fun of Bulk Barns
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 03:10 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
in a smalliwh boqt like this one is, we seem to get all the wave action from port.

I thought you were implying that you didn’t like making that trip with somebody else doing the driving. The wheel is on the right in my small boat.

The first Aspens just started turning a few days ago here. Soon be time to pack up for home. Sad
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Sep, 2018 03:29 pm
@Leadfoot,
wave action and steering wheel positions are generally unrelated. Im headed south, storm , NORTH Im getting hit by the right front bumper of the storms (At least in tge Northern Hemisphere).

Im doing the piloting in the last three boat trips. I help out some marinas by delivering or piloting new or refit yatchs. I sold my big boat several years ago .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 05:20 pm
@ehBeth,
what's a bulk barn?? Izzat some kind of shopping center where everythings sold in bulk???. We are loaded with them in SC Pa. we have a chain of Beiler and Beiler supermarkets ( majority ownership by Mennonites with minority ownership by AMish). With this set-up the stores can open later in the evning because they have electric lights (usually these high intensity daylight LED tube lights). I really believe you could get a tan from the lights they use.