..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 05:13 am
@ehBeth,
were gonna pull into ST Johns sometime nxt week and head over to a nearby Timmy's

Maple sugary donuts and a cuppa. Bekrass of Champions
spendius

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 05:32 am
@farmerman,
But you can have maple sugary donuts and a cuppa at your farm and save your faithful dog from pining.

Your dog does not understand the importance of displays of the ability to sustain pecuniary damage which is, of course, the hallmark of success in a business economy. Lighting cigarettes with $20 bills is the best method for those who don't wish to endure the privations of a bloody boat.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 06:32 am
@farmerman,
Don't forget to check out the Bulk Barn eh
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 08:12 am
@ehBeth,
foggy foggy dew. Have to chug far from shore to break out of the fog banks. Even with radar, its a bit scary what with all the commercial traffic and ferry and cruise boats.
Weve got wireless at the apartment so were ok and lobstahs are cheap.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 09:05 am
@farmerman,
Photos, we need photos. Ships in the fog, mmmmmm good.
farmerman

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 01:43 pm
@rosborne979,
were on land today. We may only be going on short hops due to the fog. Maybe eqrly in the week and then we will be out of touch for a week or more . Ill take a phone (Ill keep a rel camera in a bag ). Its usually really rough and water comes flying over the gunwales wo I don't wanna mess up a good camera with salt water. (The boat is a deep V and it pushes a lot of spray when it gets going .
spendius

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 05:22 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
were on land today.

It's a start. I hope you are working on heading inland for your next major project.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2013 06:36 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Its usually really rough and water comes flying over the gunwales wo I don't wanna mess up a good camera with salt water. (The boat is a deep V and it pushes a lot of spray when it gets going .

Sounds great. But I would be puking the whole way. I'll have to live vicariously through your stories Wink
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 07:53 am
@rosborne979,
weve been ashore the last several days. Were gonna set off next Tues or Wed and chug back to port so we can get the boat all cleaned up and back to its home by Oct 13 or so. We still want to stop at the principal harbors on the Downast coast. I want to be around Machias by early October and then we can toodle around the minr islands (we packed two Cayuga Kayaks on toppa the pilothouse, so we can park the boat and slip off in the kayaks.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 08:49 am
@farmerman,
The farthest up the coast I ever made it was Bar Harbor, so it looks like you're going to beat that.

Back in the 1960's we visited South Harbor which is near Bar Harbor (I was a kid at the time), and I remember seeing all kinds of sea life, especially starfish crawling on the pier posts and rocks. As I remember it there were multi-colored starfish of all sizes stuck to the piers, and there were mussels covering almost everything and hermit crabs everywhere and just generally a proliferation of crawling things. It was pretty impressive and amazing.

But the last time I was there in the 1990's it was nothing like that. Most of the piers were bare and I hardly saw any crawling things. Have starfish declined that much? Or did I just remember it differently as a kid?

I want to take my daughter somewhere along the coast to see things like I remember them being back then. But I can't seem to find any places like that along the coast any more. Are they all gone now, or am I just looking in the wrong places. Mostly I travel the shores of New Hampshire and Southern Maine.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 09:07 am
Several years ago (ten years ago or more) The Girl and i went to an Abuzz meet in Salem, Massachusselly, and then drove up to Maine, where we spent a week with an Abuzzard who lived on Frenchman's Cove, north of Bar Harbor. It wasn't even an incorporated town, and it was the kind of town where people left their doors unlocked. I was sitting on the porch one day with the dogs (our friend's little dogs) when a guy came up, opened the door of the basement apartment and carried a huge bucket in. The bucket was filled with lobstahs . . . he smiled, walked back down to the pier, and brought back two lobstahs for me. We had never met before. That's how small towns are, and it used to be like that all over the country.
spendius

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 10:54 am
@Setanta,
How the clientele of the wine bars and eating houses around Media centres must be chortling at that.

Nostalgia for the old ways is a symptom of being lost in the new.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 11:35 am
@Setanta,
NOWADAYS, Starbucks has to announce that it doesn't welcome "Armed " customers.

I never realized that Starbucks was a "free Gun Zone". I think Ill get my Latte's at Lola's
spendius

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 03:30 pm
@farmerman,
I imagine that oralloy, Bill and Om Sig Dave will think the same.
farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 04:44 pm
@spendius,
yes , but for a different reason. Dave and his minions wont support a place that WONT allow guns. Im jut afraid of a caffeinated nut with a pistol in his belt .
spendius

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
Thank the Founding Fathers for that.

It sounds appreciably more interesting than our sissified and boring coffee shops.

A glare from a table swabbing work experience trainee of uncertain virtue is all the aggression we ever get.
spendius

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2013 05:02 pm
@spendius,
It must be quite exciting having one's hand hovering over a holster in case somebody kicks off with an angst driven rampage.

Does the coffee taste of anything?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 04:12 pm
@farmerman,
wasn't sure where to tuck this ... but the Appalachian trail walk is complete ... pix have just been posted

(I hope this works)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/46954_10201018255671074_96164764_n.jpg
spendius

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 05:18 pm
@ehBeth,
He's a bonny lad Beth. The rugged narcissist in posing mode.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2013 08:08 pm
@ehBeth,
I was following his blog for several months. AT is no longer ending at Katahdin. It has been extended (in concept) to Pwrce Rock (I believe0 or somewhere else on Gaspe.
Now, besides all the snackie foods and toidy paper, a "Through hiker" will need a passport.