..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 10:10 am
@Setanta,
well, Ive been told that sailing while impaired often doubles ones needs to re provision. And The Canadian Coast Guard is more inquisitive than the US. I think weve been boarded 5 X for every time that the US CG has done the same.
Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 10:17 am
Yeah, i've been bored at sea, too . . . although not too often.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 10:18 am
By the way, the Canajuns were probably looking for tobacco smugglers--that's big business. Reefer . . . not so much.
spendius

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 11:08 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
And The Canadian Coast Guard is more inquisitive than the US. I think weve been boarded 5 X for every time that the US CG has done the same.

You must like it fm. You're back for more.

If you had brilliant TV coverage of five five day Test Matches against England or Australia to watch you might not be so keen on straying far from the sofa.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 01:46 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
By the way, the Canajuns were probably looking for tobacco smugglers--that's big business.

Speaking of tobacco, a subject well worthy of speaking of, I read today in a biog. of Henry Fielding, who wrote about real history, that a boy was flogged at Eton at around the same time the Canajuns were probably (sic) looking for smugglers of the delicate herb.

It seems that it was noticed that tobacconists escaped the plagues and Eton, being a place where infections were virulent once started up, brought in a rule that all the boys must smoak.

Which is a bit mind-boggling if you apply some "how can we get rich quick" logic to it. Logic, it seems from the latest discussions about our NHS and its projected budgeting problems, which the doomsayers are saying will do for us which Hitler couldn't do. And he really tried.

I reckon that the DOW wouldn't be long hitting 30,000 if a new plague carried away all the non-smokers.

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 05:22 pm
@spendius,

I suppose you weren't seeking any input to that so Ill just post on top.
My art supplies have always been kept in separate plastic "toolboxes" or "Fishing tackle boxes". I have an assortment of stuff that would choke a whale so , for the trip (we leave Sunday) Im limiting myself to one "Tackle box" of stuff and, since boards and paper are easy to carry (They are generally only 2 dimension surfaces, Im ok there(Several Bristol tablets, 5 canvas boards, twenty pieces W?C paper (Arches 300 lb) cut into 24" X 24", and 1

0 AMpersnd clayboard.
Carrying stuff in my tackle box is turning to be difficult in "What the hell do I leave home?

Portable equipment, what do I take?

I have now.36 wc color pencils
10 drawing oencils
scratchboard equipment
2 bottles india ink
pen sets
50 or so tubes watercolor (various fullness)
12 tubes oils(water soluble)
1small bottle terps and damar
20 or so wc brushes an 5 oil
1 big mop brush
This all just about fills the tackle box and It looks like Im skimping.
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:50 am
@farmerman,
I was seeking input fm. And obviously so.

Your supposition is just a convenient excuse for bottling out of providing any.

One doesn't buy the status of artist by conspicuously flouncing around in art shops.
McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:55 am
@spendius,

Quote:
One doesn't buy the status of artist by conspicuously flouncing around in art shops.

You're right. I used to try to learn to play the piano by buying piano music and exercise books etc. Anybody want some?
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:16 am
@McTag,
I submit that you've just responded to the dyspeptic bitterness of a sad individual who's more interested in insult as an art form than he is in communication.

Do you take your bass along on vacation? Do you feel uncomfortable if you don't play every day?

Ive got brushes older than you and spendi put together. SO his attempt at insulting me personally (to which I take your tag line of agreement to be in support of his insult) To that I say "thank you sir" My expectations about British civility haven't been elevated as a result.

Spendi has, recently, been insulting everyone whose not fawning all over his "obvious observational talents". Hes been insulting pet owners who had recently lost their furry friends, hes been dissing anyone who speaks out for choice and freedoms. Im used to him jumping in this thread with useless garbage and vituperation to let me know that he dislikes me.(If you doubt or care, just go back to any response of his on this very thread) Ive actually grown to expect his insulting unsolicited opinions. Most of which I ignore because I consider his input as useless as the man in the barber shop who insists that bumblebees cannot fly.

I do get annoyed when those I admire support his insults of me. Like you've just done.
Thank you again, Ill file that away .
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 06:55 am
@farmerman,
Baloney fm. Konrad Lorenz had pet ducks. And you shoot the poor little things for sport. And wing a number which manage to fly away to a lingering death in the wild.

Don't come on me as an animal lover milking on the sadness of those who have lost pets.

You're just an opportunist.
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 09:29 am
@spendius,
I feel a lot more sanguine about my outlook toward animals and humans as compared to Lorenz . He was a card carrying NAZI that firmly supported Hitlers view on "the final solution"

Like to really cut the knees pffn your arguments don't you

what happened to "flouncing in art shops"? Lose interest on that one?
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 10:53 am
@farmerman,
I think he would have supported Caligula's.

America supported Hitler. It only came in when Hitler was on his knees to claim the laurels and the spoils. America knew what was going on and sat on its hands. Same at Suez. And now with Syria. Crocodile tears. Red line on chemical weapons shifted back proving that the red line was a publicity stunt and another red line on aid to military coups shifted back proving that was another stunt.

Lorenz won a Nobel Gong. And nobody was too bothered about bringing Nazi rocket scientists to the US.

Godwin's Law was designed for points like yours. Milking the Holocaust. Milking bereaved pet owners. Why don't you wring some towels out.

There is nothing of interest in flouncing around in art shops. You list was what might justifiably be called nondescript. What's on the personal hygiene list for the voyage?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 12:10 pm
@farmerman,

Quote:
his attempt at insulting me personally (to which I take your tag line of agreement to be in support of his insult) To that I say "thank you sir"

Oh my goodness no.

I wasn't supporting Spendy in any insult. I was replying to the point itself, and relating it to my own experience (in a rather pathetic and self-deprecating way). No hidden agenda. Sorry for giving a different impression.
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 02:20 pm
@McTag,
Ok no offense taken.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:00 pm
@farmerman,

Quote:
Do you take your bass along on vacation? Do you feel uncomfortable if you don't play every day?

It was too hot here to play it today and yes, I do feel a bit guilty. So much to do.

On vacation, well, you're pulling my leg a little. With an extra coat of Stockholm tar and a paddle, the bass could perhaps be the holiday afloat.
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:13 pm
@McTag,
Ive been painting almost every day of my life. Some days its just a doodle or two but I am taking a tackle box full of supplies, My question was mostly about what other art freaks consider as "must hve" supplies to take along where space is limited
farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:22 pm
@farmerman,
Were in the process of loading stuff up that is not food (Food we will buy in Eastport and haul on board). Its amazing the **** we need to have as safety gear. Mrs F is , as usual, overpacking clothing. I know when were on board, we will live in one set of jeans and sweaters and we will dock and wash clothes, dock and wash clothes. Canadian pleasure ports all have good provisioning and support facilities like laundries and groceries. US doesn't have a clue, even on the Chesapaeke except for a few towns where you must walk your wash and grocery lists sometimes miles out of town (Hence the mini bikes)

Im packing some mackerel rigs and flounder rigs and two take down rods. We aint there to go fishing unless we want some mackerel for supper.

Weve budgeted our fuel needs and we are gonna stick to it because diesel is in the process of skyrocketing as the recession is speeding up its demoise
spendius

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 03:31 pm
@farmerman,
How do you paint on a boat? Don't they bob up and down on the ocean waves and need steering with attention?

What's the sanitation arrangements? I think A2Kers would be more entertained by a detailed description of those than with tangential allusions to your artistic accomplishments.

I saw a bee this week. It was stealing from my flower beds. Maybe there would be more of them if more of us sat at home whittling on a stick.

spendius

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:08 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Its amazing the **** we need to have as safety gear.

I agree fm. It is amazing how many pram straps there are for these derring-do missions. The Coastguard probably has you in an electronic garden swing.

What's the difference between tied up to the quay and out being out buffeted by lapping wavelets when the green flags are flying?

I was daft enough to go on a ferry once. It was not long before I felt a bit queasy. Two pints or so. It's piracy imo what they charge for a pint on ferries.

I informed the person who was looking after me of this and she told me we were still in the dock and waiting for the trucks to be all loaded.

Never again.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2013 05:13 pm
@farmerman,
There is only one reason for diesel prices to be "sky-rocketing".

Demand. You sound like one of those idiots stuck in a traffic jam complaining that there are too many cars on the road.

It's you all over fm.
0 Replies