..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:42 pm
@spendius,
She forgot to mention that we came upon two German U-Boot sailors that didnt know the war was over. They were holed up off Great Heron Island
spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:57 pm
@farmerman,
You should have sold them your coffee.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 04:58 pm
@spendius,
and what, pray tell , would they have paid us in?
They refused a lift to MAtinicus so they are probably still there . They were quite old.
spendius

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
They probably had some loose gold fillings in their teeth. What's a gramme of gold to a tin cup of Starbucks?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 05:56 pm
Glad to see you back, fman. Didn't read what happened.... glad you're ok.
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2011 07:55 pm
@littlek,
Thanks, we passed by the CApe like a flash on the way North. We stopped briefly at The "Hole" . There were two big beqmy RV's heading south for the South ATlantic and further. We tooted em out and viited some friends and then took off.
The trip was actually very pleasant . The cap is not one of these tyrant seadogs . He liked to sightsee as well as any of us. We were following a small pod of whales around Grand Manaan and we rqn into big RV that was heading south into Fundy . I got some pix and I will bunch them together when I see which ones my wife or I have left. (I lost my camera overboard) but Had my "Rebel" nd several fresh Sandiscs
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 09:36 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
The Peace of Wild Things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water,
and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought of grief.
I come into the presence of still water
And I feel above me the day-blind stars waiting with their light.
For a time I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
--Wendell Berry, Openings, 1968
Not necessarily a marine life poem but he gets the idea. Borrowed with permission from the Pygmy kayak crew" website
spendius

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 11:51 am
@farmerman,
Cheer up fm.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 09:04 pm
next week we leave for the Maine coast to further take on the Bay Of Fundy. The hle pods have been especially numerous this year. When we took out the boat weve rented and did a few days cruise bfore the final deal, we saw at least 3 different pods of finbacks as we chugged to Grand Manaan.
Im hoping that we will stay up nar Eastport or Lubec for the remainder of the hot months (some short trips for business reasons though).
Ill be able to keep in touch thanks to several good cable WIFI nodes all around Downeast Maine. Im not going to use any mobile hot spots of my own because its phone based and Ive always gotten shunted through Canajaun Bell and their prices are outrageous when they intercept and carry my signals.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 09:13 pm
@farmerman,
do you ever go past Parrsboro Nova Scotia?
farmerman

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:26 pm
@ehBeth,
we used to go out into Northumberlans, Cabot STrait and Gulf of St Lawrence but that was when we had to have our own boat lifted out and flatbedded to "da Nort Shore" .I think I recall that it was Sackville where we were hauled out and trucked over to Truro and we put in and toodled all around. Once,when we came back, we went around Nova SCotia and went to Sable Island and we hit a bad storm there, we did a mad dash for Campbelltown and the waves were busting over starboard side from the storm retrograding WEST. We made it and got tied up and sat out a three day storm. I think I wrote about it in one of these entries.
This time,(Since we have a huge deductible for any damages). We aren't gonna go deep blue water but Im sure we will get up to PArrsboro and Cape split ( we like to go find rounded amethyst crystals in the shoreline at low tides.)
Were gonna rent two mopeds (or maybe just one if we can get one with a shopping basket on the handle bars so we can get groceries back to the boat).

Its all gonna be new again since they've changed the GPS data again and Canada and US have had a buncha new VHF rules and NOW, we gotta stop and get frisked everytime we cross back and forth.
Were still hoping to keep a smiley face (these border guys and ladies all carry Glocks) and all Ill have is flares and a fire extinguisher.
Id feel safer with a shotgun but wed have to have gotten that paperwork underway many a month ago an it never crossed my mind.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:44 pm
@farmerman,
Wear a helmet and some padding this time, eh?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 17 Jul, 2013 10:48 pm
@farmerman,

I read that but I didn't understand most of it.

Bong voyage anyways.
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 03:32 am
@McTag,
I rented a boat this year since I sold my boat several years ago to raise money for a business purchase. We are only going to stay within the Bay of Fundy. (Believe me theres plenty of room to get lost and see things in the Bay of Fundy).

Turns out that the guy we rented this boat from wants to sell for about the same reasons. Well see after the rental period in Oct , maybe renting makes mre sense at my age. I don't know.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 06:28 am
@farmerman,
Have a great trip, Farmer.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 06:43 am
@farmerman,

I think I remember from my school geography lessons that the Bay of Fundy has one of the greatest tidal ranges anywhere.
So check your anchor chains, or moor at a marina might be good for untroubled sleep and no alarms. Or shipwrecks.
Just thought I would mention that.
panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 07:31 am
@McTag,
Quote:
Bong voyage

heh heh. He said bong
farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 07:47 am
@panzade,
never smoke pot on a boat. You never have enough snackfoods to last between ports of supply
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 07:49 am
@McTag,
Ive been sailing Fundy now for about 20 years and the only problems we have are plotting harbor accesses on the estern SHores of New Brunswick. These shores are quite gradual so they can leave you stranded in mud flats for hours if you aren't careful with plotting your channel accesses.
The channels are marked fairly well but you know how boys can get cut loose and they drift all over. We rely pretty much on GPS and radar now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2013 08:51 am
So, you're sayin' that even if you fill the hold with munchies, the winds and currents will conspire to keep you out of port until after it's all gone?