..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:15 pm
@spendius,
your mind is working on autopilot spendi, why not just get some sleep and youll be giving out fresh insults in the morning. Any fool knows that there arent any ducks in Kentucky.
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:19 pm
@farmerman,
There soon would be if it paid dividends. We don't bother about evolutionary exigencies.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:27 pm
@spendius,
nighty nite.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 08:38 pm
@farmerman,
The Stellewagon Bank researchers call it bubble net. Humpbacks do it too.

Pipsessewa leaves for what? Can you tell me, fman, the answer to a question I've long pondered? Why is pipsessewa called (in guide books) that and not wintergreen when the wintergreen fragrance comes from the former and not the later?
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 10:00 pm
@littlek,
wintergreen that I know about is the berry of a wintergreen bush (I could only find ref to Gauphilia sp.) The reddish berries have that methyl sal smell.
Pipsessewa (didnt look it up) is the leaf and flower of the BITTER wintergreen,the smell and taste is entirely different. We use it in the med chest for mixing with vaseline as a dressing for wounds (It lasts a really long time). Ive made tea from the leaves that we send through a stone burrin coffee mill. It gives a nice flavor of like sarasaparilla (which has that same "birch beer taste")

Bubble net, that sounds appropriate cause thats what it looked like when huge circles of foamy water formed a large ring in the water and the whales come busting up through the center . Its about the highest Ive ever seen finbacks rise. They usually dont come out of the water too far.

Weve decided to leave tomorrow cause itll only take us a few hours to get to Owls head and we wanna get breakfast down at machias at Helens restaurant where they make the best blueberry pancakes and waffles.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:28 pm
@farmerman,
home again home again... Have several thousand spams and messages on this box and Mrs F has similar.
CONTROL A -----))))POOF(((((
spendius

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
It's the price you have to pay effemm for being so popular.

Now make sure you read and answer them all because they are going to feel let down and disgruntled if you don't.
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:24 pm
@spendius,
verhstehen Sie CONTROL A?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 07:51 pm
@spendius,
So tell me, spendius, why you keep calling farmerman 'effemm' -

a) to annoy him
b) to annoy the rest of us
c) you think it's cute, or whatever the english say that is equivalent to the u.s. cute.
d) you have made some decision about his sexuality and wish to promote that decision
e) to plump up a weak argument
f) to engage antagonists online for fun
g) other
h) all of the above
McTag

Reply Sat 19 Sep, 2009 10:31 pm
@ossobuco,

He's getting his beauty sleep.

I think it's a neutral term. If Spendy's trying to annoy, you're usually left in no doubt about the fact.

Sorry fm for using your thread for inconsequential chit-chat and nattering. Any water-cooler in a storm.
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:53 am
@McTag,
No prob McT, hi osso. Its nice to be home after so long away.
I shall now be required to catch up on the chores that I was so long neglecting while at the other place. The people who lived here and worked on our farm while we were goofing off, were a much neater outfit than we are. Our house, when occupied by us, is usually in a state of happy disarray. We work all over and have half finished projects in many rooms and spaces. Our guests dont even seem to have a life. Our house, I swear is absent just about any forensic evidence that anyone even lived here (with the exception of the fresh flowers that they had become used to. The gardens have contained lots of seasonal flowers that our guests used to amke little vase sprays and stuff. (I shall miss that touch, cause I am not gonna spend the bucks for a florist to make VAAHHZes of flowers, and most of the fall flowers , save mums and grasses and the last dhlias and zinnias, not to mention crepe myrtles, are the only things left and these aint the best in vases.

Spendi doesnt bother me osso. I know he stalks me for some reason that is based more upon whats missing in his life than actually wishing me ill. He and I sometimes get nasty and Im just as guiloty of tweaking his chain and having him get annoyed at me. However, on a few occasions, he actually does make some sense, even though he tends to use mantras of repetitous silliness to underpin his arguments and he can get a bit wordy but what the hell, Ive been frequently told to "be peaceful" in my own discourse.

If I can somehow help spendi in his lonely journey through his life, I feel that Im doing some good .

SPendi feels that living vicariously in the adventures of others is a worthwhile way to go. I, of course, disagree vocally but , when you think about it, we can always sink to his level of vicarious adventure but he has a Herkey task of rising to ours.

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 03:58 am
@ossobuco,
I never gave a single thought about "effem" being a more feminine moniker. . I always thought that spendi was sort of using my short name that Lil K started (FM) and merely phoneticized it. (He actually beat David at his own game). If I issed the reference blame it on my density .
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:19 am
@farmerman,
Since most of the summer stuffa has been put into memory banks, I will answer questions of topics that everyone seems to have avoided but I have prepared statements regarding them. For example

What is sex like aboard a boat that rides the waves?

What do you do with the sewage and waste water that accumulates when you are at sea?

How long can you travel between visits to a provisionery port?

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:30 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Since most of the summer stuffa has been put into memory banks, I will answer questions of topics that everyone seems to have avoided but I have prepared statements regarding them.

Very handy indeed, farmer. It always pays to be prepared, I say!

So could you give me your prepared answer to this one, please?

Quote:
What do you do with the sewage and waste water that accumulates when you are at sea?

(I've always wanted to know this.)
msolga

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:33 am
@farmerman,
As for sex on the waves .... this, I believe, is a private matter between you & Mrs f.

I certainly wouldn't presume to ask such a thing! Shocked
farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 04:42 am
@msolga,
go ahead, were ready toanswer
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 05:33 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
So tell me, spendius, why you keep calling farmerman 'effemm' -

a) to annoy him
b) to annoy the rest of us
c) you think it's cute, or whatever the english say that is equivalent to the u.s. cute.
d) you have made some decision about his sexuality and wish to promote that decision
e) to plump up a weak argument
f) to engage antagonists online for fun
g) other
h) all of the above

In retaliation for the names he has called me. Dipshit for example. And asserting that I have my head up my arse. Idiot. Dipsomanic. And a few dozen others in a similar vein.

I'm sorry you missed all that my dear but I understand as it has only been going on for five years. I also understand that your political bias has inhibited you from asking effemm why he refers to me in that manner.

So yes--to annoy him. I didn't know that it annoyed the rest of you because nobody has mentioned it before now.

I think its neat rather than cute. Snappy like. Dapper.

I have made no decision about his sexuality as it is a matter I have never given any thought to.

I hardly need to "plump" up my argument on the evolution/religion threads because I have wiped the floor with them. On this thread even the title is silly. I have met a number of vagrant gypsies in my time and they were nothing like effemm. Phut-phutting around the NW Atlantic is just about as daft a voluntary activity I can think of and I've been trying to persuade him to sit on his porch like any sensible man of his age and position and see to his education. I had the interests of his bride in mind to a certain extent.

I must admit to enjoying engaging antagonists in general. I think it's the only way we ever learn anything.

I also object to taxpayers having to fund stand-by rescue services and monitoring procedures in case these intrepid dude sailors come to grief as often happens in our waters. I respect the sea and keep well away from it.

On the question Olga asked about the sewage I think the taffrail is the obvious answer to that.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:22 am
@msolga,
Sewgwe and other grey water is collected in flush drains and stored in tanks between the decks. We have a 50 gal sewage and 100 gal grey water. The heads and sinks use very little water actually because water , is a fluid that can contaminante a large area of water is left to "dump". The older boats did have a 2 way valve and noone gave a damn. Now, those old boats, that have been refurbed have all been refit with single valve and collection systems. When we get to a shoreside station, fuel stop, or marina, most all are fitted with pressurized pump/dump stations where we hook a suction hose to our system and open two valves in the engine room and the water waste gets sucked into a commercial sewage station. We pay like 2.00$ for each dump hookup. If we dock at a marina for a few days, they have direct sewage lines like an RV camp. Very simple yet well thought out technology.
spendius

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:12 am
@farmerman,
I would have put in the effort of using "gallons" rather abbreviating it to "gal" had I been writing that.

Quote:
The heads and sinks use very little water actually because water , is a fluid that can contaminante a large area of water is left to "dump".

Would you mind rephrasing that effemm. I'm confused by it.

But I must say, overall, it does seem quite posh.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:20 am
sorry, my habit of typing and hitting enter is a bad habit. In that sentence , change "is" to "if"

Water , containing wasswtes, is a diluent that, being fully soluble in seawater can cause pollution of a much larger area of the ocean asurface. Pelagic fish (like tuna) take in water from the surface areas and can hold and deposit contamination in their flesh.
0 Replies