..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 08:26 am
Went out for a brief whale watch yesterday. We were gone for just a few hours and into the straits between Campobello and Grand MAnaan. We saw about 10 minke whales and three large finbacks. It appears that they are getting all "podded up" for their commutes south. Theres almost an expectany about them by their purposeful actions, at least the way it appears. In the summer time. They usually just loll around the surface and get in the way of sea traffic. Now they appear to be moving about with a determination like thyre all late for a meeting and better get organized. No rolling on their sides to look at you or flopping about the rollers. Now theyre cutting through the waves in close order drill. Somethins up with these guys and I wanna check on em before we put the boat away and go home.

ANybody have extensive whale watching experience to note these habits and their associations with whale behavior?
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 10:08 am
@farmerman,
That's all a bit anthropomorphic effemm.

Why were the finbacks "large"? Were they larger than the average finback?

How did they "appear" podded up for going south? Had you read that they migrate south in mid- September.

Would you care to explain the "expectancy" they almost appeared to be in?

Why doesn't the sea traffic get in their way. They loll a lot from what I've seen of them on telly which is much the best place to see them and when you've had enough of that you can just turn it off and grab a beer and watch they game instead of having to sail back and dock and all the other stuff that a boat entails. Even "loll" is far fetched.

I watched two steady flies doing whatever it was they were doing around a thistle yesterday whilst having a brew in the warm sunshine.

I think you prefer whales because you discriminate in favour of large things.

There must be miles more to interest a naturalist on your farm than you can ever find at sea. A farm is a source of endless fascination. I grew up on farms. Never a dull moment.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 10:58 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Why were the finbacks "large"? Were they larger than the average finback?
I suppose they grow up and become large finbacks. Wheres the problem in comprehension?

Quote:
How did they "appear" podded up for going south? Had you read that they migrate south in mid- September.
If all your life experiences werent vicariously derived then Ill bet even you could answer this.

Quote:
Would you care to explain the "expectancy" they almost appeared to be in?
Certainly. The whales would often look at their watches to check the time. Several of them were on cellphones and one or two were texting.

Quote:
There must be miles more to interest a naturalist on your farm than you can ever find at sea. A farm is a source of endless fascination. I grew up on farms. Never a dull moment.
So, you know about farms AND barrooms, anything else?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 05:27 pm
Hey farmerman. I went on a whale watch on Monday and we saw packs too. There were roughly 7-8 humpbacks and 3-4 minkes all in a small feeding area (in the Stellewagon Bank Sanctuary). We saw whales lunging through the water in groups heading the same directions - toward pockets of dense feed. They leave this area soon for their warmer breeding grounds in the Caribbean.

They were exhibiting a newly learned (or at least newly observed by humans, but we've been watching this group of whales pretty closely for decades) behavior. They were slap fishing (or some such name). Once a whale found a dense patch of meat it'd lift it's tail and smack the water to call the other whales over. So, we'd see a tail smack and then the others would move towards the call. There was also little other movement while we watched, although there was one who rolled belly up and waved a fluke.
spendius

Reply Wed 16 Sep, 2009 05:37 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
although there was one who rolled belly up and waved a fluke.

I've seen that sort of thing more often than is good for me.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 06:21 am
@spendius,
jam tight and jelly roll
I'm a Jelly Roll Baker , I Bake The Best Jelly Roll in Town
I'm The Only Man Baking and i'm gonna keep my Damper Down
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:37 am
@littlek,
Of all the damn years Ive been plying the Gulf Of Maine or The Bay of Fundy, we have yet to see more than one humpback at a time. Id love to see the "fish smacking" trick. Ive seen the "bubble ring" that the finbacks use to catch fish. They blow huge bubble nets and then swim up with their mouths open and swallow the fish and strain em .
They say that whales are always learning and communicating new tricks.

Well, today, the boats all covered up with shrink wrap and they stick a small fan in the wrap with a small PVC tube to expell any moist ir so mold doesnt show up when its in the shed over winter.
Mrs F is packing up the junk that weve had in the RV most of the summer. I will pull in the slideouts and up with the pods and we start for home tonight. I think we will visit some friends in Port Clyde and be home Sat or Sunday (depending on what diversions meet our fancy).

Id like to stop off at the Hancock Shaker Village and get some Pipsessewa leaves , and eat breakfast at the Farmington Railroad Diner in Farmington Conn. Then we will travel 84 to the 209 road through the Pocono Nat Park and then home by 81. Im sorta ready to return, I miss my doggies.
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 11:53 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I miss my doggies.

At least it prevents knee-cap wobble.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 12:01 pm
@spendius,
AUTO REPLY:
----THE member known as Farmerman, is presently out of the office-----
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@farmerman,

Quote:
Well, today, the boats all covered up with shrink wrap

Did you remember to empty the fridge/ icebox?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 01:15 pm
@littlek,

Quote:
there was one who rolled belly up and waved a fluke

That was no fluke, it was.......

quite intentional.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@McTag,
(snork snork)
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 02:28 pm
@farmerman,
I was told that my quote from MAsfield was incorrect.

Quote:
Sea Fever

I must go down to the seas again,
to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song
and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face
and a grey dawn breaking.

I must go down to the seas again,
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call
that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume,
and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way
where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn
from a laughing fellow rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when the long trick's over.

When I "quoted "the line,
"To the Vagrant Gypsy's life,... I was ,of course, quite wrong. A gypsy, by definition, is a vagrant, SOrt of like Sotomayors line of a "Wise latina woman" or Pizza Pie.

I ask for penance and absolution.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:00 pm

I was too polite to mention it.
farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:12 pm
@McTag,
Well, Im done going down 'the sea for this year. May the w'ither be withus next year.

Course, in Maryland and East coast US, October is peak sailing weather. All the tall ships and Skipjacks, pungies,bugeyes and 9 board sailing canoes will be all over the bay waters . The winds are much more steady and predictable in the fall. You "ragbaggers'd have a swell ride.
Theres a few regatta in October to open the 'Arster season for sailboats. IN early October is a neat sailing event in Havre de Grace Md. Shallops, skipjacks, and bugeyes will show up for a beat to the SE. (if winds allow). SOme of these boats are lateen rigged so they cant sail to close to the wind
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 03:14 pm
@McTag,
So was I Mac. There's nothing gypsy vagrant about effemm. He's so MOR he probably has some Barry Manilow albums.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 04:08 pm
@farmerman,

Catboats. I like those. They don't look too practical (for our northern waters) but they've got personality.
When I was at Mystic Seaport Museum there was one sailing about in the harbour.
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 04:53 pm
@McTag,
You were in the bar watching it through the ocean view windows --right? You tittered to yourself.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:00 pm
@McTag,
There are several variations of the cat boat rig that are unique to the New Jersey shores where they were used as "sneakboats" and duck hunting boats. The only problem is that the mast, set so far forward would heft a nasty boom that could knock your head off if you would try to go jibing too quickly. The Jersey versions were nice and beamy , so they could travel up the shallow embayments and tidal rivers at low tides.

There was a Chesapeake cat boat variant but I forget what it was called. Most of the Chessy boast on the Upper Bay were all used for duck hunting and carrying groceries around to the residents on the small islands.
spendius

Reply Thu 17 Sep, 2009 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
What do you want to hunt ducks for effemm. Can't you put them in a duck rearing complex and have as many ducks as you want for $2.99 a pair.

If duck was as good as chicken wouldn't there be Kentucky Fried Duck franchises in every city and town in the world.