..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That story was to remind me (mostly) that "old" and "Bold" are mutually exclusive concepts in the air and on the sea.
We were toodling up the bay before turning to Manaan and saw one of the few pleasure boats. It was a cigarrette in which the capt was apparently otherwise distracted because there was NOONE in the cockpit. He just turned on the auto steer and maintained his course and went belo (maybe to catch a nap , I have no idea what goes through some of these clowns heads)

He was doing a respectable high speed and apparently hit a log (The ST Croix river is still often used to float logs and some of them can get away. We could see the boat kind of lurch and then the engine just shut down and his boat just came off plane and sat there like a loon in a pond. He came toside and saw us (and a Canadian tour boat) we both radioed to the guy and stated that we can give him the number of the BAY_TOW . I had an appointmet on Grand MAnaan, and The Canadian Tour Boat was overdue to be in St Andrews to pick up a scheulded tour. The Canadian stated that "if there was no immediate problem or injuries, he could do nothing".
I figured that both the CAnadian and we felt that this guy shouldnt be encouraged to continue his unsafe practices. (He was not the guy we towed back to shore).
He was some asshole from Connecticut (according to his stern lettering).

Usually the Bay of Fundy is full of relatively safe boaters and ship captains. Im more used to the wackoes on The Chesapeake or the Delaware BAy. Apparently their ranks are growing.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:12 am
@farmerman,
"Unsafe practices" seems to me to be the whole point of the exercise. It is obviously a relative term as is " clowns".

If the guy was up to a bit of sogering then that is a perfectly well extablished practice in experienced salts ain't it?

I'm reading Redburn now effemm. That's a dude boat you have there. Like Dave's dude guns. A persona embellishment facility.

You should be on the porch in your rocking chair eating your burgoo like a mature snivilised country gentleman of ample means is supposed to do.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:09 pm
@farmerman,
I 'm glad he did not crash into U.

Maybe c.25 or 30 years ago, my teenaged cousin, Tommy,
was late for a boat. His friends left Long Island without him.
Later that nite, there was an aquatic collision
involving fatalities among his friends. some drunken driver on another boat

`
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Being aware of your surroundings and your speed is critical. Many piots I know, only steer their boats by their instruments. In a Plane I can see that. In a boat however, everyone is stuck on the same plane of medium and we are always stuck on these slices of two dimensional space
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 05:38 pm
@farmerman,
That applies on the sofa effemm. Even moreso strolling down to the pub.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Being aware of your surroundings and your speed is critical. Many piots I know, only steer their boats by their instruments. In a Plane I can see that. In a boat however, everyone is stuck on the same plane of medium and we are always stuck on these slices of two dimensional space
Yeah, but u posted evidence that u r one of those guys
that sleeps once in a while. I think u said something about
anchoring it down, if it is shallow. If someone like the capt. in absentia crashes into u, . . .

The same thing can happen to u in a car on the road.
U never know; life is full of surprizes,
yet I do not join in Spendious' caution.

I agree with U.
Ya gotta live life, have some fun
and that 's replete with all kinds of chances.

Cram as much happiness n beauty into your life as u possibly can

and watch out for piratical submarines !

David
spendius

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 05:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That's how to get a rubber neck Dave and beady eyes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 06:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Cram as much happiness n beauty into your life as u possibly can

Always a desirable goal, and fortunately, its one that is easy to accomplish with only a little effort.
spendius

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 08:01 am
@farmerman,
Which is evolution's first principle I believe. Ease of the bone.
farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 10:16 am
@spendius,
Are you a happy bloke?
spendius

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 05:45 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know. I never think about morbid subjects.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:07 pm
@farmerman,
we are coiling lines and stocking up the galley and pantry with grub. We will be shoving off at 14:00 (dont hold me to any schedule). We set off for St ANdrews and Black Harbour where we will visit some friends and have dinner. Then its up the Bay of Fundy . I hope that damn Hurricane Bill steers East and away from the BAy.

QWell probably be back sometime mid or late next week.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 09:56 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

we are coiling lines and stocking up the galley and pantry with grub. We will be shoving off at 14:00 (dont hold me to any schedule). We set off for St ANdrews and Black Harbour where we will visit some friends and have dinner. Then its up the Bay of Fundy . I hope that damn Hurricane Bill steers East and away from the BAy.

QWell probably be back sometime mid or late next week.
Lots of good luck.
R u gonna fish from your boat ?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 12:16 am

In my geography class at school, rather a long time ago but I still remember this, they told us that the tidal range in the Bay of Fundy was the greatest in the world.

Well, it's in America, isn't it.

hahahahahaha
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 04:29 am
@McTag,
Some of the biggest recorded, yet there is a place in Alaska that has even bigger tides than Fundy. Yeh, Fundy is surrounded by two states, New Brunswick and Nova SCotia.

Dave, we will only be fishing for mackerel and only if we run out of food . Fish is usually a PI the ass to dress and prepare on board. We dont have a big galley. Its only as big as a kitchen in a hotel suite. We do keep a big pot so we can do clams and lobsters. They dont require anything in prep other than butter.

Im writing up a brief schedule and arrival times for our trip so I can send to our CG and the Canadian CG. One can get lost in Fundy, its not that overly populated with pleasure craft and the shorelines are kind of rocky and loaded with embayments.

Well, thisll be last trans till maybe some time we get to ST Johns and find an internet coffee shop . Otherwise, see yas all next week sometime.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 06:39 am
@farmerman,
Have a marvellously calm and safe trip.

(not becalmed, just not too exciting)
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:06 am
@farmerman,
Aside from tagging along for a day or two on pleasure craft, and the occasional commercial fishing boat down in the Keys, I've never spent any considerable time on big salt water. Well I actually did spend a month sailing nearly 25 years ago which is how I ended up in the Keys for a while, but that doesn't count really, and not at all how I imagine your trip.

We have spent many a night on smaller lakes in my part of the world though, and I've incredibly fond memories of my "honeymoon" in the Kawartha Lakes area...and, just a few summers ago, making the trip through the Trent /Severn into Georgian Bay. I sincerely didn’t mind all the locks " though it had some truly bland stretches. Lately we just pee around locally but we’ve got some “one day” plans (all on fresh water). We’ll need new tarps before I’ll do it again. HE wants a new boat and can’t say I blame him, but that’s just not anywhere near the top of the Need to Do list, of that we both agree. I’ve a brother in St. Johns: I’ve had some times there, too, I’ll tell you!

Anyway, that’s just my way of saying I have an inkling of how great your trip's going to be. Man. I'm envious!

McTag

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:47 am
@Joeblow,

I myself have sailed the seven seas, or 3.5 of them approx.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/109_0979.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c277/Tags1/Copyof115_1599.jpg
dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:50 am
I regard boating/sailing as "staying alive in water."
McTag

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:53 am
@dyslexia,

A westerner's reaction.

As the man with the big voice sang

All day I faced
The barren waste