..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

Joeblow

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:33 am
@McTag,
Gorgeous (!) but beyond my experience for sure. I was on a 31ft Northstar. 6ft beam as I recall. THAT looks breathtaking.

0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:45 am
@dyslexia,
You make me laugh!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 06:31 am
@farmerman,
I was thinking St. John’s Newfoundland when I posted about a brother. It must have been the “s” that confused me even with the pretty big clue of Fundy. St. John New Brunswick should be fine, given Bill’s projected path along Nova Scotia’s eastern shore and the southeastern parts of Newfoundland.

I asked for the buzz in St. John’s a minute ago and here was the response:

Quote:
As they say on the southern shore, "Tick fog, 'tis all t'will be betimes she be here, b'y."

Still, I just read this:

Quote:
With Bill's swirling tentacles extending more than 700 km on Friday, Bowyer was quick to stress that even southern New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and eastern Newfoundland would likely be battered by heavy rainfall of up to 150 mm and gale-force winds of at least 60 km/h.

I hope it’s all just ado about nothing much for wherever you guys are.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:54 pm
@Joeblow,
Just heard the news on the CBC about Bill's travels. I sure hope you're somewhere safe, dry and not too windy.
spendius

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:23 am
@ehBeth,
The whole point is the danger E. And using your skill to overcome it and return a hero.

There's nothing heroic to be gleaned from safe places because otherwise I would be getting an award from The Queen.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 08:40 am

The Farmer has given no evidence
that he wishes to or that he expects to become a hero.
spendius

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 01:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's not my take on the sub-text of the thousands of effemm's posts I have read. effemm and I go back five years Dave.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:58 am
@spendius,

If I 'm not mistaken,
I remember him from Abuzz.

I don 't remember him indicating that he wanted to be a hero.
He probably just wants to have fun on the water.

David
spendius

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 08:41 am
@OmSigDAVID,
That depends on how you define "fun". Actuarially say.

effemm is the one who claims that we should live according to strictly scientific principles. Not me. Perish the thought. So let us have a definition of "fun" relating to the "un-fun" costs of the fun. That is a calculation millions of people make every mealtime. If they didn't they would all be forty stone monsters by now in view of the agricultural industry's capacity to produce what you all can eat. Assuming no masochism.

Don't blame me for this Dave. I have been reading anti-IDer's posts for years and they have taught me that a strictly scientific approach is necessary and that an un-scientific approach is all the things they have called it. Especially effemm, who is their leader and least uneducated spokesparson.

I hope you are not now going to tell me that they didn't really mean it and have simply been relying on their audience being congenitally unscientific and given to comprehending every word they read or hear in terms of what they already think it means. For example--"uneducated" might mean "unlike me" or, if group bonding is in play, "unlike us". A characteristic of someone below me, or us, in the social cachet stakes. Obviously, the more people there are who are "unedcated" the higher the "me" or "the us" feels his, or their, position in the status pyramid. Hence the ubiquitous use of the term.

Ladies often use "slag" or slut" in a like manner.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 05:49 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, we took some refuge on the Lee side of Nova SCotia on SUnday and made it up to CApe Split and Minas Basin. The winds were a bit fetchy and so we stayed to the eastern side of the Bay. In actuality the Tides at Cape Split and into Minas qwere much more fierce than was the remnants of any cheeky storm. We landed at a few places and took some pix of the volcanic deposits and some of the bigass alluvial fan deposits that are loaded with fossils.

We et some of the finest scallops we ever had.
We made the return trip in the center of Fundy and Iapetus rode the swells like a swell herself. We saw many Minkes and some Finbacks. My wife said she swore she saw a pod of Orcas but (unconfirmed) cause I dint see the buggers.
We got close to Manaan on th return and were covered with Puffins who were on the water and all around us. Lots and lots of harbor porpoise and seals. We tried our hand at flounder fishing(caught two nice keepers (Winter flounders)) and returned today by 5PM for dinner on shore at the Waco Diner.
My back hurts from all the ave action. We will probably make a nother longer 4 to 6 day jaunt sometime in Swept. Otherwise, we just go lighthouse tripping.
McTag

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 11:00 pm

Thanks fm, for the entertaining account. I've never seen a whale, and I'm quite sad about that, although our lookout saw a pod of orca in The Minch, two years ago. Or so he said.

There was a fabulous picture in The Guardian yesterday of a great white shark taking a seal, off the coast of Africa. Just thought I'd throw that in.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:27 am
@McTag,
There is always that possibilityMcTee. Great Whites are not uncommon in any area thats got a sizable seal population. One year we were putting out toward Sable island and we saw a medium sized one just loping by .He was no doubt late for lunch in the shallows where seals would be.

When I wrote my last entry, we just returned to dock, showered up and went to dinner. I came back, posted on A2K, and then went to sleep on the couch with a copy of a book Ive been trying to get through. I woke up at 3 AM and am wide awake now. Itll take me several days to get back to a "no night watch" schedule.
We actually made some good times during this little adventure, and by sticking to the West Nova SCotia coast, we avoided the bigger waves that were "Bill" generated. That diversion was at best a day and a half , and its a very cozy side of Nova SCotia, lotsa little towns hidden in tree-lined hills, and lotsa rocky promontories formed from the uplifted Mesozoic lake deposits. The tides and currents in the Minas Basin are way more startling than the wind driven swells.Past CApe Split, there are Really strong shear currents and the water is so turbulent during full flood or low tides, that, you can actually hear the "sucking" sound made by mid water streams that pile up on rocky shoals. We would try to follow the fishing boats as they came in and out toward Parrsboro , That way qe know we are safe to pass. WHen the tide is full ebb , many of the margins of Minas Basin are mud flats, and when its full, the tides can generate violent eddies that , if we were "disengined" , wed be tossed around like a toothpick in a storm drain.

Like everything else, if you proceed and use all your senses and skills, its not dangerous. If you are a "hot dog" you can end up badly.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 02:49 am

There is a good TV series in Britain called "Coast".

They've done the shores of these islands, including Ireland, and now are spreading abroad, recently looking at the French side of the Channel and last night, a very good episode which was filmed in Norway. From the Skaggerak to the Lofoten Islands, and north of the Arctic Circle, landscape and lives of the people who live by the sea were examined. Including some traditional boatbuilders. And with wartime references, links with Scotland via the "Shetland Bus". Very good programme.

You can't beat a good fiord.
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 03:06 am
@McTag,
You cant afford to not ford a fjord. Thats what I always say.

Ive been to the Araans with mrs F . We took a turn in a little cape dory outfitted with a sail and a small (9hp, "kicker) just in case. The dory was actually a huge boat for its design and was amazingly stable for island hopping. (We had two kid volunteers to sail for us). I had a turn at the sheets and it was very responsive (although there was noplace you could get in out of the changeable weather.).
The cape dory seems to be as ubiquitoues a frame as is the "lobsterboat" frame all over North America and the ATlantic coasts of Europe.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Well, we took some refuge on the Lee side of Nova SCotia on SUnday and made it up to CApe Split and Minas Basin. The winds were a bit fetchy and so we stayed to the eastern side of the Bay. In actuality the Tides at Cape Split and into Minas qwere much more fierce than was the remnants of any cheeky storm. We landed at a few places and took some pix of the volcanic deposits and some of the bigass

alluvial fan deposits that are loaded with fossils.

Fossiles of what ?

Quote:
We et some of the finest scallops we ever had.
We made the return trip in the center of Fundy and Iapetus rode the swells like a swell herself. We saw many Minkes and some Finbacks. My wife said she swore she saw a pod of Orcas but (unconfirmed) cause I dint see the buggers.
We got close to Manaan on th return and were covered with Puffins who were on the water and all around us.
Lots and lots of harbor porpoise and seals. We tried our hand at flounder fishing(caught two nice keepers
(Winter flounders)) and returned today by 5PM for dinner on shore at the Waco Diner.
My back hurts from all the ave action. We will probably make a nother longer 4 to 6 day jaunt sometime in Swept.
Otherwise, we just go lighthouse tripping.
Did u cook the fish yourself?
or did thay do it for u at the diner?

U know that the key to good fish is to not overcook them.

David
farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 06:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
some vertebrate and invertebrate fossils.

We put our flounders in the freezer and will do them tonight probably.

I am very snensitive re: fish on the fire. My wife and I have different methods with both achieving excellent results.

(I like to crisp mine and she likes poached and braised)

The WACO Diner is actually a restaurant that uses an appelation that connotes road food. It does a very good scallop and when scallops are fresh , the results are to celebrate.

People can oversauce a scallop and like curries, everything can tend to taste the same. Not the WACO, they do a half decent job with delicate flavored foods like scallops.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:17 am
@farmerman,

How does "Waco" relate to the road or to food ?
Francis

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
WACO Diner, as in a diner relates to road and food.

When in the US, one still can stop by a diner to have some dinner..

WACO Dinerhttp://media.merchantcircle.com/9028579/1EastportME%20135_medium.jpeg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:28 am

Weighty Americans Cram their Orifices
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:48 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Weighty Americans Cram their Orifices
That can be fun.