..."to the vagrant gypsy's life"... WHERED THE SUMMER GO?

farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 10:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
big waters are anywhere beyond a coastal effect wherein waves are refracted upon each other by headlands. Refracted waves have a wave height and pewriod usually of less than a few feet. Big waters , like once out into the Gulf of Maine its possible to have wave heights of over 20 feet. (Thats a bit too much for our little boat). You can uaually keep informed of wave conditions and winds by reading the water as you plow through and by watching the weather reports and advisories.

"posing" as a CG or Border Patrol boat is difficult in this age where AIC transponders will present actual boat numbers and locations . AIC is a type of mobile registry that allows one , so equipped, to see where all shipping and official boats are present.So if a CG vessel announces itself and it doesnt have an AIC signal on a GPS xhart, you ahould be very suspicious.
AIC is relatively new for pleasure boats though its been in uase by ships for years after GPS began as the principal position communication technology.
farmerman

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2009 10:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
My personal taste does not run to shotguns,
tho I acknowledge their usefulness; thay have their advantages.
A shotgun will punch a nice series of holes in a fibreglass hull especially with a 0 or 00 shot. Im not inclined to take the time or spend the money for a submachine gun. Ive been all over Funy, the Gulf of Maine, and Northumberland and the St Lawrence Gulf and into the Ocean side of Nova SCotia to Sable Island and Ive never had a "piracy " incident. I have had several "white knuckle" events that involved waves , currents , or storms. So, being wary but not paranoid , is the sane way to putt about in coastal waters.

Our radar is pretty good too. It has a discriminator that will seek out and verify signals by changing pulse frequency automatically so that if we are presented a blip on the horizon, the radar will jack up the frequency to give us a better view. I call it our Star Trek screen. "Put it on screen number 1" ,

It can be spooky piloting at night in moonless skies. The water and everything above,(unless lit) will not show up . You can see the Milky way and then, at the horizon line, all is just blackness. In such a case, Ill usually try to find a shallow spot to anchor and wait till the AM, or , I will turn off all but one running light and only keep the GPS and rdar screens on at very low light. Im more concerned with hitting some coastal dragger or fisherman with outriggers deployed. They will at least keep more lights on if they are working at night. However, sometimes we can approach from the other side where lights arent shining and Ill keep a warning beeper from the radar screen to let us know that were within 1000 meters of a transponder.

You can be on a bearing late at night and youre all intensely monitoring screens and horizon, when all of a sudden a whale will come up within 50 feet and blow. ITs magnificent and a little scary at the same time.
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:45 am
@farmerman,
I suspect Queequog would smile condescendingly at that little ego puff-up. It's not even a Plum-pudding run. White sauce run morelike.

I've done a pretty good parody of it but I rather incline to thinking that you wouldn't appreciate it so I will refrain from posting it.

But do come back safely effemm. A2K would be saddened were you to be overwhelmed by a wave and never no sight seen of you again. I would anyway.
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:56 am
@spendius,
First read, or re-read, effemm's control freakery post above.

Then read this he wrote just now-

Quote:
I never really considered that I was working on a "reputation" dimmy.

Which is an admission that he is so habituated to working on his reputation that he is no longer conscious of doing so because it is very obvious that working on his reputation is all he ever thinks about when he's awake.

So much so that a good half of A2Kers are firmly convinced he is the brains of this outfit. In actual fact he's just a Longwordian.

And there are more Longwordian jokes that there are Irish jokes.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:26 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

big waters are anywhere beyond a coastal effect wherein waves are refracted upon each other by headlands. Refracted waves have a wave height and pewriod usually of less than a few feet. Big waters, like once out into the Gulf of Maine its possible to have wave heights of over 20 feet. (Thats a bit too much for our little boat). You can uaually keep informed of wave conditions and winds by reading the water as you plow through and by watching the weather reports and advisories.

"posing" as a CG or Border Patrol boat is difficult in this age where AIC transponders will present actual boat numbers and locations. AIC is a type of mobile registry that allows one, so equipped, to see where all shipping and official boats are present. So if a CG vessel announces itself and it doesnt have an AIC signal on a GPS xhart, you ahould be very suspicious.
AIC is relatively new for pleasure boats though its been in uase by ships for years after GPS began as the principal position communication technology.
A few weeks ago, we had a very well known piracy incident
off of Somalia, wherein the American captain was held for ransom.
US Navy Seal snipers took out the pirates, simultaneously.

We were told that very soon thereafter, in the same area,
another (non-American) ship was boarded by piratical imposters
of drug inspectors or customs agents.

`
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
@farmerman,
David wrote:
Quote:
My personal taste does not run to shotguns,
tho I acknowledge their usefulness; thay have their advantages.

Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
A shotgun will punch a nice series of holes
in a fibreglass hull especially with a 0 or 00 shot.

That 's a FACT.
Hopefully that hull will be a sufficient distance from yours
that survivors will not board your boat.

Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Im not inclined to take the time or spend the money for a submachine gun.

Each to his own preference.

Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Ive been all over Funy, the Gulf of Maine, and Northumberland and the St Lawrence Gulf
and into the Ocean side of Nova SCotia to Sable Island and Ive never had a "piracy " incident.
I have had several "white knuckle" events that involved waves,
currents, or storms. So, being wary but not paranoid,
is the sane way to putt about in coastal waters.

As to America, I 've only heard about piracy around Florida,
by the aforesaid drug smugglers, who wished to remain in business
despite government interference and robbery.

If u r approached by pirates flying the Jolly Roger,
what is the correct procedure (in addition to use of radio) ?

Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Our radar is pretty good too. It has a discriminator that will seek out and verify signals
by changing pulse frequency automatically so that if we are presented a blip on the horizon,
the radar will jack up the frequency to give us a better view.
I call it our Star Trek screen. "Put it on screen number 1",

I am not a nautical person; a land lover,
but I am impressed with all of your equipment.
It pays to be prepared, especially when u r out there alone.

Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
It can be spooky piloting at night in moonless skies.
The water and everything above, (unless lit) will not show up.
You can see the Milky way and then, at the horizon line, all is just blackness.
In such a case, Ill usually try to find a shallow spot to anchor and wait
till the AM, or, I will turn off all but one running light and only keep
the GPS and rdar screens on at very low light. Im more concerned
with hitting some coastal dragger or fisherman with outriggers deployed.
They will at least keep more lights on if they are working at night.
However, sometimes we can approach from the other side where lights
arent shining and Ill keep a warning beeper from the radar screen
to let us know that were within 1000 meters of a transponder.
That sounds scary n exciting.

Farmerman wrote:
Quote:
You can be on a bearing late at night and youre all intensely monitoring
screens and horizon, when all of a sudden a whale will come up
within 50 feet and blow. ITs magnificent and a little scary at the same time.
Yeah, I imagine u r right.
How long do the whales remain up,
when thay rise to blow like that ?

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
AIC technology isnt deployed ll over the world since it requires some central nav tech point. I can call up a map of the entire S end of Fundy and I can see where all ships and boats with AIC are located(to the nearest meter). This kind of disply doesnt happen by itself. It requires an entire network of stations and sat nav stations to report locations to anyone who wants the data. Im not sure wheter this technology is even a dream off the Somaly coast. Im sure that ships companies are getting latest training on tech that IS available to them. Im not sure how someone can be ignorant of boats posing as CG cutters.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

AIC technology isnt deployed ll over the world since it requires some central nav tech point. I can call up a map of the entire S end of Fundy and I can see where all ships and boats with AIC are located(to the nearest meter). This kind of disply doesnt happen by itself. It requires an entire network of stations and sat nav stations to report locations to anyone who wants the data. Im not sure wheter this technology is even a dream off the Somaly coast. Im sure that ships companies are getting latest training on tech that IS available to them.

Im not sure how someone can be ignorant of boats posing as CG cutters.

Yeah, I 'm not either.
Like Will Rogers said: "All I know is what I read in the newspapers"
or c on TV news.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:04 am
@farmerman,
Where are u now, Professor ?

R u on land or sea ?

Posting from your boat ?

What time of day is it there ?

David
farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,

We're in Calais Me. and Im in an RV . We drove up from Lewes Delaware more than a week ago. We stopped home for a night and tonight Im gonna head to Meddybemps where we have a small lot in the woods. WE are waiting for the weeks end when we will pull up anchor and pilot Northeast from Eastport into the bay and to make stops along the way.
We will probably spend the first day just shaking down and piloting around Black Harbour and Grand MAnaan . We live on the boat and tie up at marinas or just rop anchor in reasonable shallows. The tides here are in the 30 foot range so anchoring needs a sizable line to take up slack .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Its now lunch time 12:15 and its 1;15 in Canadian Waters. Were having sardine sammiches and probably wont be posting from water . My blackberry isnt an economic plan. There are internet places all over the bay
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:17 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Its now lunch time 12:15 and its 1;15 in Canadian Waters. Were having sardine sammiches and probably wont be posting from water . My blackberry isnt an economic plan. There are internet places all over the bay

Did u catch the sardines personally ?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:40 am
And I thought people put themselves through the agony of owning a sea-going pleasure vessel of any description in order to get away from people. They are supposed to be searching for the isolation of the desolate, wide-angled and vast emptiness of the ocean are they not.

And here's effemm communicating with folks he can just as easy communicate with from a rocking chair toasting his toes on the range with the smell of freshly baked cakes pervading the room. He's the epicentre of a communications network with all his gadgets and gizmos.

Hey--what scientific proof do we have that he isn't concocting this lot from his rocking chair? The only evidence I can think of is that it would be too stylish for effemm. And the research required to make it convincing would be difficult but not as difficult as owning a sea-going craft for a jape. And even water knows to go the least difficult route let alone the flora and fauna.

So--if he's a proper evolutionist in the strictest scientific sense he is sat at home in his rocking chair.

Get out of that?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 11:03 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Your helplessness is rather sad.

It's odd how many Americans resort to that remark.

It was once deemed almost indecent, ignoble
for an Englishman to walk thru the world in an unarmed condition.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 11:11 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That's a certainty effemm.

You can have the salt spray and the brine and the cramped quarters and the lamp swinging from side to side and all the rest which I can't be bothered listing on account of how long it would take.

Have you ever read Moby Dick in a recliner with a Test Match
on the new 47" screen and the maids bringing cups of tea and chocolate digestives at regular intervals.
I recommend a Hi Definition 7 foot screen,
with 1920 x 1280 pixels (if I recall the specifications accurately).

I favor Jennifer Love Hewitt, who looks SPECTACULAR thereon.

David
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 12:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Aw Shucks Dave. You should try Babestation and Reader's XXX Wives. Jennifer is very nice but she has that look of a receptionist welcoming a party of senior citizens to the banqueting suite.

Are you celebrity fixated?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 01:29 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
Quote:
Aw Shucks Dave.
You should try Babestation and Reader's XXX Wives.

I don' t know those shows.
I have the Playboy Channel.

spendius wrote:
Quote:
Jennifer is very nice but she has that look of a receptionist
welcoming a party of senior citizens to the banqueting suite.
Is that good or bad ?
I stand by what I said:
She is mindblowing in Hi Definition on a 7 foot screen.

I said to my friend Marty, over dinner:
" U don 't look as real as what I get from my HDTV."

Quote:
Are you celebrity fixated?

No.
Sometimes I like it when I meet them; depends on which one.

David
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 02:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
She is mindblowing in Hi Definition on a 7 foot screen

What do you mean? That you can see the pores? It's the facial expressions of enigmatic ambiguity that gets me. Jennifer looks a bit simple.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 02:43 pm
@spendius,
David wrote:
Quote:
She is mindblowing in Hi Definition on a 7 foot screen

spendius wrote:
Quote:
What do you mean? That you can see the pores?

U do.
The picture is almost supernaturally CLEAR !
Its good for color, too.

spendius wrote:
Quote:
It's the facial expressions of enigmatic ambiguity that gets me.

Far be thay from me.

I want well-defined clarity of whateverthehell is going on.
Enigma and ambiguity both betoken the withholding of information.
I have no yearning to be withheld from, as u do; I prefer that thay be FORTHRIGHT, forthwith.

spendius wrote:
Quote:
Jennifer looks a bit simple.

Simple is good; I like simplicity.
Its quite convenient and fraught with ease.

David
spendius

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah I know Dave.

We would all like well-defined clarity of whateverthehell is going on.

But is it a realistic hope? Are you being had up a stick?