If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

plainoldme

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:03 am
Has anyone seen the bumper sticker quoting Gandhi which says something like I like your Christ but dislike your Christians?
RexRed

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:30 am
@plainoldme,
To be fair the same could be said about the followers of any faith who canonize a religious leader's supposed beliefs. There are fundamental orthodox radicals in every group.
plainoldme

Mon 1 Mar, 2010 08:40 am
@RexRed,
That is true. Some commentators have pointed out that fundamentalists is all religions tend to resemble each other in the intensity of their beliefs and in their unwillingness to accept what non-believers might see as logic.
0 Replies

Humble Servant

Sun 11 Apr, 2010 04:04 pm
@Caesar,
Jesus died so that people could have a direct relationship with God. Christ came and fulfilled the OT law. now instead of sacrificing an animal for forgiveness of sin we can be directly in the presence of God. but there is still a hell because ppl still refuse to believe in God much less ask for forgiveness. its a two way relationship and most ppl just want everything handed to them
0 Replies

thomas-b

Thu 14 Jul, 2011 08:53 pm
@Caesar,
Quote:
It doesnt make sense. Jesus dies so that "all" of us can be saved, yet we still need a place for the un-saved people...Explain.

I was raised in a conservative Christian home and here's what my relatives believe: Hell is necessary because God gives people free will. They can choose to follow Him or not. People who do not know about the plan of salvation will have an opportunity to know what is going on and accept Jesus / God at some point, probably in the afterlife. Children who die before the age of accountability will have this opportunity. But people who hear the gospel and do not believe (essentially everyone who chooses a different religion, different beliefs, and atheists) are going to hell, even if they are nice people.
That is the view of Hell according to Evangelical Christianity.
It took some time, but I ultimately decided that this view of Hell and punishment didn't make sense to me.
My current thinking is that people are kind of messed up. But however we got this way, I don't believe we all deserve to go to Hell. God would either want to reform all of us because He loves us, or punish us without mercy. So, I have assimilated a belief in some kind of reincarnation / transmigration into my beliefs. And it makes more sense to me than eternal Hell.
cicerone imposter

Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:23 pm
@thomas-b,
Here's the dilemma of heaven; if those saved souls still retain "free will," what's to say they will not sin? Will those who sin in heaven be sent to hell?

If those who are sent to heaven will not sin ever again, why didn't god make the same condition here on earth?

Is that a contradiction, or must we accept the logic that is missing?
0 Replies

auroreII

Fri 29 Jul, 2011 06:06 am
I heard it said on the radio once that hell is the absence of God. I guess a person would be

kinda stuck out there all on their lonesome running the world. Good luck to them for getting the

sun to come up each morning and keeping the magma from flowing up between their toes.

Rom 11:36 For of him, and through him, and to him, [are] all things: to whom [be] glory for

ever. Amen.

tenderfoot

Fri 29 Jul, 2011 10:26 pm
@auroreII,
I believe the last bit you said was right............. AH-MEN.
0 Replies

kiuku

Fri 27 Jun, 2014 08:00 pm
@Caesar,
Jesus is a comedy; that is why there is still a Hell.

Men and women go to Hell. Jesus is real or it's just a comedic story about how evil and dumb people are?

Obviously if you are saved through Jesus then you don't go to Hell. Not everyone gets saved, they have to repent, they have to not be hypocrites, they must not be rich, and so on. This is who Jesus turned away, this is what He said. Jesus spoke about Hell, not everyone goes through Jesus, not everyone is acceptable to Jesus. You must not be rich, you may not be a hypocrite, you may not judge, you must repent of other sins. Jesus doesn't really accept everyone; that's why.
0 Replies

giujohn

Fri 27 Jun, 2014 08:16 pm
The good news is: THERE IS NO HELL
So enjoy life and stop worrying.
Frank Apisa

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 04:37 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

You know that how, John??? Or is it just another of your guesses?
neologist

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
giujohn wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Perhaps, after a diligent study of the scriptures, he concluded the bible does not support such an idea.

Would that satisfy you, Frank? Very Happy
Frank Apisa

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 10:17 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

giujohn wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Perhaps, after a diligent study of the scriptures, he concluded the bible does not support such an idea.

Would that satisfy you, Frank? Very Happy

It would be interesting, Neo...to see John persuaded to the Jehovah's Witnesses perspective of what the Bible says about the issue.

But whether "the Bible" says there is a Hell or is no Hell...really does not touch on the question I asked John.

He is asserting, "THERE IS NO HELL"

Sounds to me like a guess. I was just wondering how he would handle the question.

Still am.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:40 am
@giujohn,
The reason there is a 'HELL' is because people's fear works wonders in commitment to their god. If you don't do as I say, hell is waiting for you!
kiuku

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 11:45 am
@cicerone imposter,
I am very sure there is a Hell.

Giujohn: "there is no Hell"; what if it is There is no forgiveness? They just teach forgiveness because it wouldn't be reason, people have to believe in forgiveness in order for them to do evil deeds.
cicerone imposter

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 12:38 pm
@kiuku,
How sure are you? Please explain.
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 01:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
The reason there is a 'HELL' is because people's fear works wonders in commitment to their god. If you don't do as I say, hell is waiting for you!
Well, hell o!
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 28 Jun, 2014 04:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
You know that how, John???

The same way I know there are no unicorns, flying horses, mermaids, or bigfoot.

And if you dispute this I'm going to have to insist that you furnish proof that you exsit because with out it I'm just guessing.
Frank Apisa

Sun 29 Jun, 2014 02:35 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
You know that how, John???

The same way I know there are no unicorns, flying horses, mermaids, or bigfoot.

And if you dispute this I'm going to have to insist that you furnish proof that you exsit because with out it I'm just guessing.

So...you are just guessing.

Why didn't you just say that?

And of course you are just guessing that I exist!
giujohn

Sun 29 Jun, 2014 05:28 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No Frank...you misunderstand. I know there atre no unicorns, Im guessing if you are for real!