If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

RexRed

Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Why when there are people like you who are more gladly willing to oblige... Smile

I'll watch...
RexRed

Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:15 pm
@Jason Proudmoore,
If you can use the errant actions of a few fundamental literalists to deny God then go for it. See where that you with God...

Throw the baby out with that bath water and then say you have evolved to extinction.
cicerone imposter

Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:34 pm
@RexRed,
You made the assumption it was a "self portrait." That also means you think it's possible.
Jason Proudmoore

Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:49 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
If you can use the errant actions of a few fundamental literalists to deny God then go for it. See where that you with God...

That is exactly what the problem is, RR...belief is a problem...religious people are cherry-picking verses to suit their own beliefs...
And in which way should we interpret the Bible if not literally? How would you translate these: Jesus is the only begotten son of God, Jesus healed the sick, Jesus died and three days later resurrected...and another message given exclusively by Jesus: "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered. And they gather and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. " how would you interpret the last message, RR...I'm curious.

Quote:
Throw the baby out with that bath water and then say you have evolved to extinction.

The same way the ancient Jews smashed the babies of the Amalekites against the rocks, ordered by Yhwh (AKA Jehovah, Elohim, The All Powerful, God, Jesus, etc)?
Jason Proudmoore

Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:56 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
Is that a self portrait?

Well...my post is addressing you...and the picture says that "your problem is obvious"...do you wanna interpret it literally or allegorically?

Quote:
You can accuse me of having my head in the clouds but the self worshiping atheist that you profess to be, I would change those pants...

I'm informing you that you have your head in your ass...and how in the world can someone self-worship? I think I will have to take this one as an allegory.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's a miracle from God -- so is the pretzel.
neologist

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

At least JP is not a hypocrite like many of religion who preach "brotherly love," but can turn around and do the most atrocious actions against their fellow brothers and sisters.

Human history is replete with religious' atrocities against "others," and even the bible tells us about a god who believes in killing the innocent. The "flood" killed newborns and many innocent people.
There are hypocrites and scoundrels in every group. Atheists included.
One part of the Bible many so called christians have overlooked is the teaching that all people have within them Godly qualities such as love, peace, and wisdom. I'll provide several references if you need them. The point is that believers have nothing within themselves about which to be proud.

But we are all sinners and all those who died in the Flood or any other past event deserved to die. There is a future time told about in John 5:28, if you care to look it up, when all those who have died without knowing God will have a chance to reclaim the promise that Adam and Eve lost.

The end of it all, is the true God is fair.
neologist

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:58 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
Well we disagree completely... the Bible is ambiguous. What do you call a book with two different sets of laws? Old and new testaments? . . .
Whoever taught you the Bible showed you the peel, but removed the banana.

Among the purposes of the Hebrew Law was that it served as a sign leading to Christ. His completely following the law was a sign that should not have been missed by the Jewish leaders. By not accepting him, they condemned themselves.

"All scripture is inspired. . . "(2Timothy 3:16) Both 'Old' and 'New' Testaments.
neologist

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:01 am
@Lightwizard,
Ahhh! Pretzels. . . .
revel

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 07:19 am
@Jason Proudmoore,

I am not sure if it was a commandment by God for Israel to "dash the little ones" against the rocks.

Quote:

1 Samuel 15
1Samuel also said unto Saul, The LORD sent me to anoint thee to be king over his people, over Israel: now therefore hearken thou unto the voice of the words of the LORD.

2Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.

3Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Quote:

Psalm 137:9
Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

It is hard to accept those parts of the Bible and I admit the only way I can is just wipe them from my mind until I understand it. In fact, I will do some studying on this on my own to come to any understanding.

Lightwizard

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 10:57 am
@neologist,
Yeah, and those cheap little bagged pretzels that taste like **** with enough salt to send anyone to the IR. Around here, at least, it's Aunt Polly's huge pretzels from the original German pretzel recipe. You can order them without being dipped in rock salt -- I used to have one or two a couple of times a week at Fashion Island across from Martin Lawrence Galleries where I used to work. The aroma alone knocks you out.
cicerone imposter

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:36 am
@neologist,
neo, We don't need studies to show there are good people on this planet. What you seem to miss is the general rule that even where any country has a majority that believes in any religion, they have also experienced atrocities as well as the good; it's universal.

Being good or bad has nothing to do with religious' belief; it's about the individual.

When you understand this simple truth, your belief in your religion may cede to more practical moral issues.

Yes, there are good and bad atheists.
husker

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

same with christians
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 11:38 am
@revel,
Good post; it shows no mercy from their loving god, but they seem immune from messages that show how spiteful their god is.

Amazing phenomenon!
Francis

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:15 pm
Husker wrote:
CI wrote:

same with christians

That shouldn't be. A bad christian is an hypocrite.

cicerone imposter

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 12:18 pm
@Francis,
amen!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:08 pm
@Francis,
A "Christian" with really only a passing interest in religion, motivated by the possibility of "being saved" when the world comes to and end, rarely or never going to Church (typically attending Christmas or Easter services and that's it), is really an agnostic or atheist who hasn't come out of the closet. Praying is confined to their immediate friends and family, or themselves, and often has a selfish, mercenary motive. How many of those people do we each know? I'd say it's over half of those in the US who declare they're Christian. The percentage who believe in creationism has dwindled over the years and ID has been offered as a substitute. That's effectively making God a chair in the room.
cicerone imposter

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:16 pm
@Lightwizard,
LW wrote:
Quote:
That's effectively making God a chair in the room.

And that's still an imaginary chair.
0 Replies

RexRed

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 01:49 pm
@neologist,
How romantic (cynical) a sign of stoning homosexuals, a schoolmaster, leading to a loving Christ... AMBIGUITY

Yes, Jesus a 30 year old who never marries...

In your strict literal interpretation today's Jesus would be ostracized from your church. Hanging with twelve men washing their feet in the "upper room".

The law brought us nothing but headaches...
RexRed

Wed 6 Jan, 2010 02:03 pm
@Lightwizard,
Perhaps even though the God of the bible (and many other religions that profess the only TRUTH) is not the final word on who or what God is, it behooves us to respect the ACTUAL God... (if there is one) Though far from many biblical texts the actual God may be, do you think jokes about the unknown creator of the heavens and the earth are productive and represent progress? Or does it just make you feel better to put someone or thing greater than yourself down...

Pretzels are an invention not a creation... Devils can invent but they cannot create, they can twist the world into chaos but they cannot create it... Most Sunday school children know the difference. You might give that some thought before you butcher basic spiritual thought with your hype.