If Jesus died to forgive us, then why is there a Hell?

thunder runner32

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:22 am
Quote:
What has religion got to do with your solid marriage and freedom from alcoholism? there are people with solid marriages who are sober who don't believe in god.

Well, no one said that it was essential to get these ideas from the bible, but the fact that the bible orders these good things is an indication that our maker has good intentions for us.

Quote:
A few years after I asked my mother about the crucifixion, I decided that hell is a stupid notion and a corruption of the idea of re-incarnation. Re-incarnation allows the creatures to learn, grow and develop. That made sense to my 15 year old self and makes sense today.

Ummmm...I must not have remembered anything from my pastlife...

God doesn't send people to hell for no reason, he gives us the chance for forgiveness...free-will...we pretty much decide where we go...accept God as the only way you can save yourself, and you will be on your way.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:28 am
Right, hell is a stupid notion. Wrong, God did not intend for us to live life in a revolving door.

First of all, I am an agnostic. No one's notion of god makes sense.

Second, how do you know what god intended? I would call it extreme egotism to make that claim.

Third, re-incarnation is not a revolving door. Re-incarnation involves growth. you do know that the doctrine of re-incarnation posits one directional growth and that people do not "come back" as slugs or cats.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:29 am
Quote:
other people on all the other planets

...what other people?

As I clearly said, the "people" or sentient beings on other planets. To believe we here on earth are alone in the universe is far too egotistical. In fact, that is to believe that we are gods.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:01 am
Quote:
As I clearly said, the "people" or sentient beings on other planets. To believe we here on earth are alone in the universe is far too egotistical. In fact, that is to believe that we are gods.

Egotistical...or the truth? How come they have not found 1 piece of evidence for other life, in the whole universe?

Quote:
Second, how do you know what god intended? I would call it extreme egotism to make that claim.

the bible...

Quote:
Third, re-incarnation is not a revolving door. Re-incarnation involves growth. you do know that the doctrine of re-incarnation posits one directional growth and that people do not "come back" as slugs or cats.

Well, what do we learn from our previous lives? I never said anything about "slugs or cats"
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:16 am
plainoldme wrote:
First of all, I am an agnostic. No one's notion of god makes sense.

I don't claim to know God's intent. However, it is explained for us fairly well in the Bible. So, I just parroted what I read there.

Which gets to a point I would like to make about speculation. I only relate to you what has been shown to me in the Bible. I'm not intelligent enough or righteous enough (hardly) to have discovered it myself.

Quote:
To believe we here on earth are alone in the universe is far too egotistical. In fact, that is to believe that we are gods.

We aren't alone in the universe, as the Bible amply shows. Whether or not there are sentient beings on other planets is not stated. But I submit to you that the discord we see here on earth could never before have happened in the universe nor could it happen again.

BTW, if you believe in life on other planets, for which we have only speculative ideas, how can you not believe in God, for whom we have evidence?
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:21 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:

the bible...

I tried to PM you, thunder; but I haven't been a member long enough. Hang in there, friend.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:53 am
Egotistical...or the truth? How come they have not found 1 piece of evidence for other life, in the whole universe?

The above was written by thunder, who accepts the Bible as truth. Hmmm.

thunder -- You demand proof of life on other planets and yet you accept the Bible. Do you see the contradiction there? Besides, the universe is so vast that we might never have "proof" of other sentient beings. My general science teacher, back in academic 1961-62, thought the stars were just put their by god to give man "something pretty to look at." I find that rather shallow.

Now, on the surface, neologism's word seems to contradict yours:

We aren't alone in the universe, as the Bible amply shows. Whether or not there are sentient beings on other planets is not stated.

But, perhaps, neo suggests that our partner in the universe is god. Needs clarification.
-----------------

Neo then went on to say:

But I submit to you that the discord we see here on earth could never before have happened in the universe nor could it happen again.

So, you suppose other sentient beings are superior to us, as my mother suggested? What about your statment:

I only relate to you what has been shown to me in the Bible. I'm not intelligent enough or righteous enough (hardly) to have discovered it myself.

It seems to me that you might not be able to figure out what discord is or to measure it by your own admission.
-------------------------

thunder also asked:

Well, what do we learn from our previous lives? I never said anything about "slugs or cats"

Under re-incarnation, humans arrive on this planet having solved the problems of a past existence. They may not remember anything of their previous life, but they will carry forward the virtues they gained from it.

And, no, you never said anything about slugs or cats, but a common misconception is that people return to earth as animals after having been human. That is not way the system of beliefs about re-incarntion works.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:00 pm
thunder wrote:

God doesn't send people to hell for no reason, he gives us the chance for forgiveness...free-will...we pretty much decide where we go...accept God as the only way you can save yourself, and you will be on your way.

---------------

Who's to say George Bush won't go to hell for supporting drilling in the ANWAR or waging war on Iraq? Who's to say a woman who chooses to have an abortion, because, after being married for 15 years and raising her one child, accidentally conceives again, but thinks the world is over-populated, won't go to heaven for her virtue? Who's to say that Mother Theresa didn't go to hell for having been too cosy with industrialists? What if the people in hell are named Sloan and Ford and Hoover (both Herbert and J. Edgar)?
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:06 pm
plainoldwordsalad;
Quote:
We aren't alone in the universe as th eBible amply shows.

I was hoping to direct you to the Bible where you would find a most interesting account of these other creatures. Obviously, your curiosity was not raised even to the point of asking, much less looking for yourself.
Quote:
But I submit to you that the discord we see here on earth could never before have happened in the universe nor could it happen again.

The fundamental issue in the universe: that of the rightfulness of God's sovereignty, should only have to be settled once.
Quote:
I only relate to you what has been shown to me in the Bible. I'm not intelligent enough or righteous enough (hardly) to have discovered it myself.

It seems to me that you might not be able to figure out what discord is or to measure it by your own admission.

Perhaps, but I am smart enough to know where the intelligence is.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:11 pm
plainoldme wrote:
thunder wrote:

---------------

Who's to say George Bush won't go to hell for supporting drilling in the ANWAR or waging war on Iraq? Who's to say a woman who chooses to have an abortion, because, after being married for 15 years and raising her one child, accidentally conceives again, but thinks the world is over-populated, won't go to heaven for her virtue? Who's to say that Mother Theresa didn't go to hell for having been too cosy with industrialists? What if the people in hell are named Sloan and Ford and Hoover (both Herbert and J. Edgar)?

Absolutely! It's a good thing that hell doesn't exist. Thunder, we still have few things to work out. Join me for one?http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/cheers.gifYou can come too, plain, I'm sorry if I dissed your name.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:25 pm
But, I know the Bible is fiction and folklore.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm
plainoldme wrote:

A lot of people said the Red Sox would never win the World Series. You see what happened?? EH??
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:32 pm
neo -- That's a non sequitor.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:36 pm
plainoldme wrote:
neo -- That's a non sequitor.

Just trying to establish a mental bridge. I used to live in Braintree, but I left my brain there in '54.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/frusty.gif
0 Replies

mesquite

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:35 pm
neologist wrote:
The world has mostly clean living, good and sober people. I was just trying to say that the Bible provides a sound guide for living. You can't go wrong if you follow it. Additionally, it provides information about God's purpose for the earth and how he plans to accomplish it. Not knowing this information could be tragic. (John 17:3, Rev 18:4)

I hope you do not follow it's advice on how to deal with your children (Deuteronomy 21:18-21
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:01 am
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:
The world has mostly clean living, good and sober people. I was just trying to say that the Bible provides a sound guide for living. You can't go wrong if you follow it. Additionally, it provides information about God's purpose for the earth and how he plans to accomplish it. Not knowing this information could be tragic. (John 17:3, Rev 18:4)

I hope you do not follow it's advice on how to deal with your children (Deuteronomy 21:18-21

Harsh by our standards, true. Rare, hopefully. The Hebrew law was supposed to set them apart from the nations. And what were the nations like in 1500 BC? The Canaanites practiced child sacrifice in a most brutal fashion. History is full of the excesses of the Babylonians and Assyrians. So by comparison the Jews had a paradise.

But Jesus fulfilled the old law and established a new one. We don't have to stone our children, as much as we might like to. Actually, Christian parents are supposed to emulate Jesus in the way they raise their children.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:14 am
neologist wrote:
mesquite wrote:
neologist wrote:

Harsh by our standards, true. Rare, hopefully. The Hebrew law was supposed to set them apart from the nations. And what were the nations like in 1500 BC? The Canaanites practiced child sacrifice in a most brutal fashion. History is full of the excesses of the Babylonians and Assyrians. So by comparison the Jews had a paradise.

But Jesus fulfilled the old law and established a new one. We don't have to stone our children, as much as we might like to. Actually, Christian parents are supposed to emulate Jesus in the way they raise their children.

Really!

Funny...that is not what my Bibles say.

Speaking in the Bibles I have, Jesus quite specifically said:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you: UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, NOT THE SMALLEST LETTER OF THE LAW, NOT THE SMALLEST PART OF A LETTER, SHALL BE DONE AWAY WITH UNTIL IT ALL COME TRUE." Matthew 5: 17ff

Not the smallest letter...not the smallest part of a letter! None of it shall be done away with!

Pretty strong stuff, wouldn't you say?

If Jesus didn't intend all that law stuff (the stuff from Leviticus and Deuteronomy) to be included in his "new covenant"...why do you suppose he said this?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:15 am
plainoldme wrote:

How do you know that?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:15 am
frank wrote:
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets. I have come, not abolish them, but to fulfill them. Of this much I assure you: UNTIL HEAVEN AND EARTH PASS AWAY, NOT THE SMALLEST LETTER OF THE LAW, NOT THE SMALLEST PART OF A LETTER, SHALL BE DONE AWAY WITH UNTIL IT ALL COME TRUE." Matthew 5: 17ff

Frank, how many times are we going to argue over this? We know that he didn't change the laws, he came to fulfill them. He is our sacrifice, and our payment for being bad.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
frank wrote:

Frank, how many times are we going to argue over this? We know that he didn't change the laws, he came to fulfill them. He is our sacrifice, and our payment for being bad.

Quite right, Thunder. Frank, if what you said were correct, then the early Christians would have (among other things) built temples identical to those of the Jews and would have continued the Jewish religious practices.

I don't think so.
0 Replies