When should you keep your mouth shut?

Eorl

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:23 am
Good one MB. And good luck with everything Smile
0 Replies

microbiologistgal

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:01 pm
Well, ladies and gentlemen against abortion, you may get your wish Wink

The boy has been taking me to Dr.'s appointments dutifully and kindly, and has been wonderful. I, however, am not cooperating. The morning sickness has gotten out of hand . . .since the weekend I was throwing up for hours upon end. On Monday I was in the dr's for dehydration, anemia, and super low blood pressure. Doctors say if I don't get better, I can't have surgery. None of the drugs for morning sickness are working, they all just make me sicker. So if I can't get better, the baby might have to stay . . . just an update. Hope everyone is well.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 05:11 am
That doesn't sound too good MB. I hope everything works out ok for you. It's certainly sounds like an "steep learnig curve" episode in your life...one you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Perhaps there's some comfort in realising that we only recently came to think we could control our lives on paths we plan, but sometimes things just happen and you have no choice but to follow the new path. You never know, things may turn out even better for you in the long run. I hope so Smile
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:51 am
Oh my, MB, what a lot you've been through lately. I had terrible morning (hah! all-day) sickness, too. I'm sure you've tried everything, all I have to suggest is going the preventive route. Rest (take a week off), stay far far away from coffee, fish, perfume, shampoo, cleaning fluid, mildew, and smoke. Have someone clean out the fridge for you, throwing out all odiferous foods (garlic, onions, leftovers.) Put baking soda in there. Do you have pets? Let someone else feed them. Etc.

The underlying concept is that your body has shifted into a mode where it is trying to keep out toxins, so that can help you decide what to avoid.

Good luck!
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:35 pm
Omar de Fati wrote:
So do you have enough to drink for the whole class?

Brother - you speak bibles full of truth! Wink

We all need one.

TTF
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:38 pm
microbiologistgal wrote:
Well, ladies and gentlemen against abortion, you may get your wish Wink

The boy has been taking me to Dr.'s appointments dutifully and kindly, and has been wonderful. I, however, am not cooperating. The morning sickness has gotten out of hand . . .since the weekend I was throwing up for hours upon end. On Monday I was in the dr's for dehydration, anemia, and super low blood pressure. Doctors say if I don't get better, I can't have surgery. None of the drugs for morning sickness are working, they all just make me sicker. So if I can't get better, the baby might have to stay . . . just an update. Hope everyone is well.

I would love to say that God works in mysterious ways - but I think I think that phrase is self referentially incoherent. Wink

Keep us updated - this is, at the very least, an interesting case study into a womans choice. Never easy and ethics seems to have no right answers.

Good luck and I am keeping you in my thoughts (if you don't mind).

Edit: One last thing. I thought that when we had our first child that it would change EVERYTHING. It does change a lot - but so much stays the same. You can continue (after perhaps the first 6-8months) to do everything you enjoy to do and you can find schools that have a day care or find a day care to watch your baby while you go to school.

It is the second one that really makes you change your stuff.

I don't mean to put that out there as some sort of judgment or persuasion - really. Just that, if you have to have the baby or decide to keep the baby - it really is not that bad. And this is coming from a man who thought 'Man, my life will be OVER!'.

Again, good luck.

TTF
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm
TTF, for what it's worth, I couldn't disagree more with your statement about kids changing everything.

Mine was minutely planned and motherhoood is wonderful -- but all-encompassing.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm
Mico
I'm so sorry to hear of you being so ill. My morning sickness wasn't that bad, so I can't say I know what you're going through.
Soz gave some very good suggestions and I hope they work for you.

You're in my thoughts as well.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 01:26 pm
Saltines...unadorned baked potato....

Patience, patience, patience....

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 01:48 pm
Saltines! How could I forget? Saltines were my very, very good friends. (There was a stretch where I was laid up in bed, directing my staff via Blackberry, subsisting on icewater and saltines.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 03:00 pm
Ahhh yes, I forgot all about the saltines. Very good investment ;-)
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 11:07 am
sozobe wrote:
TTF, for what it's worth, I couldn't disagree more with your statement about kids changing everything.

Mine was minutely planned and motherhoood is wonderful -- but all-encompassing.

Perhaps that is because I am a Father and I can leave to go to work. Wink

But honestly - did EVERYTHING change - or did you simply need to consider the little bean before you went somewhere - but for the most part could still go?

TTF
0 Replies

microbiologistgal

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:12 am
I think I'm a little beyond Saltines at this point.

TTF is wonderful because he is a walking contradiction- having a baby is wonderful and amazing and important . . .BUT . . .it doesn't really change anything. Obviously he has never given birth by c-section or nursed a baby.

Normally medical science and I get along pretty well (my being a scientist and all) but recently we're having problems. I underwent a series of iron dextran shots and iv's to get my blood pressure up to a normal level again, and to keep it that way they gave me meds to stop the puking. Unfortunately, those meds also cause me to randomly pass out. So currently, I am doing my best and waiting a week before I get checked out again. Hmmm.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 09:20 am
Just saw your post, TTF -- EVERYTHING changed. Absolutely everything on every level. Not saying it was worse -- minutely planned, much anticipated, there were and are lots of wonderful things. (See my "sozlet stories" thread for examples.) And lots of awful things -- some of them I was prepared for (sleep deprivation), some I wasn't (the awful feeling of not being able to put down for 2 freaking minutes a baby going through separation anxiety during the heat of summer). But one thing I was not prepared for was how absolutely everything changed on every level.

Oh man, microbiologistgal. (I'm having a hard time coming up with a nic for you. Any suggestions?) I'm so sorry that you're having such a hard time, especially given the implications. May I ask how far along you are?
0 Replies

microbiologistgal

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:10 pm
12 weeks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 03:57 pm
Mbg--

One way or another 2005 is a major year for you.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 07:47 am
microbiologistgal wrote:
I think I'm a little beyond Saltines at this point.

TTF is wonderful because he is a walking contradiction- having a baby is wonderful and amazing and important . . .BUT . . .it doesn't really change anything. Obviously he has never given birth by c-section or nursed a baby.

Ah the female trump card. Even when you haven't had any of these things - you can talk as if you had - and there isn't a damned thing men can say about it - because they never can. Wink

Perhaps walking paradox.

Here is more clarification on what I meant.

It is important - but in my situation and my wives - we were still able to do what we wanted. Meaning, in our situation, it is not like some people say were you 'live is over'.

I remember both when I got married and when my wife got pregnant. The advice was that 'your life is over, forget about doing anything you want - you will be trapped forever.' It took a little more planning but we were still able to do what we liked to do. In fact, in the first 10 months very little changed. Toddlers are a different story - but for the most part you can do what you like.

For instance, my wife is a voice major and when she wanted to do a play - I simply had to adjust my schedule and put Lambert (our first son) to bed early and she could do that. Everyone acts as if you, as a person, cease to exist. That, in my case, is simply not true.

I was simply trying to point out that that is not the case.

That is all.

TTF
0 Replies

microbiologistgal

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:29 pm
Hey guys~

Still not well enough for surgery. I'm on perma-bedrest until further notice.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 05:32 pm
Oy!

Take care of yourself, mbGal.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 07:04 pm
Oh man. You are very straightfoward in imparting information, which is refreshing, but I'd imagine this must be terribly hard for you. Past the first trimester now, right...? yikes.

Best of luck.
0 Replies