Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:45 pm
microbiologistgal--

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 11:05 pm
microbiologistgal,

I generally try and stay away from threads that have to due with abortion, for I am pro life. However, this really isn't about that.

In reading your post, I was reminded of more than one guy that I know - who's g/f had an abortion. One was told after the fact and the other two were told before the fact. In all instances, it has had a dramatic effect on all three of them. Reason, being.....none of them wanted their child aborted.

So now they live with it. And it's very sad. Not only because they ended up hating the person whom they got pregnant.....but they live with the heartache of what she did to their child.

Please don't think I am faulting you for your decision. It's no one's place to judge another in these cases. For even though I, myself, am Pro Life.....I respect other's belief's also.

I guess my point is that unless you are willing to allow the childs father to have a say in the matter....then don't tell him. If it's not going to change anything and you KNOW you will have the abortion anyhow, then why take the chance of the childs father having to live with this for the rest of his life, if it's not his wishes.

I just think sometimes.....we are better off NOT knowing some things.

Either way....... it's your decision. Your choice. And I wish you the very best with whatever you decide, my friend. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/heavens_just_a_kiss_away/hug.gif
0 Replies

microbiologistgal

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 11:28 pm
See this is my dilemma!!! I am worried it will hurt him more if he knows. But I don't want to deny him the common courtesy of knowing . . .especially if he were to find out later and be mad that I didn't tell. Jeez.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 01:28 am
Does the question "honey, how do you feel about abortion" seem to difficult to bring up ?
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:32 am
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
I guess my point is that unless you are willing to allow the childs father to have a say in the matter....then don't tell him. If it's not going to change anything and you KNOW you will have the abortion anyhow, then why take the chance of the childs father having to live with this for the rest of his life, if it's not his wishes.

I'm with Justa here. Telling him and then completely making up your own mind makes him powerless, at least if it's kept a secret then he'll have the ignorance of bliss.

I almost always would prefer knowing to not knowing, the one exception is when nothing can be done. Then I'd rather not know.

Edit: You say you're worried about him finding out. How would he find out?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:25 am
I think I assumed that by telling him you would be allowing him a say in the manner.

I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't take the father's considerations in mind when making the decision.

I assume, unlike Noddy, that this is solely your dominion. Dominion is an aweful word if it is misused. Dominion can mean guardian of - or owner of. We tend to see dominion as lordship over. I tend, however, to see it as guardian of.

I think this one word sums up my first 4 pages of posts. If you see your relationship to both father and child in this case as lordship over - you will not tell him, you will make your decision. You see it as your right, and as legal - so the debate is over.

However, if you see it as guardian of protection and consideration of others will take place.

I think I agree with Brooke and in light of my misunderstanding of you telling him post mortem. If your mind is made up and you do not plan on changing it - no matter if he vehemently says he wants this child, no strings, and he will pay for everything - then don't tell him.

An analogy is this. If you are going to kick me in the sack - don't tell me before you do it - just do it. Also, there is no reason to tell me you kicked me in the sack after you have done it.

TTF
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:33 am
MBGal, what is the point of telling him?

Do you hope he will take the moment to tell you of his everlasting love for you, and convince you that the two of you are meant to have a family together?

Do you hope he will feel that ending the pregnancy is the right thing to do, and that he will support you emotionally through this?

~~~~~~~~~~

Have you discussed the possibility of pregnancy in the past?

~~~~~~~~~~

If you have decided that you will be terminating the pregnancy regardless of anything he might say - don't tell him - it will simply make things more difficult for both of you.

~~~~~~~~~

Get yourself to a counsellor as soon as possible to talk about your feelings about this - NOW. Whether it's a mental health practitioner, or a doctor, or a trained volunteer through Planned Parenthood - talk to someone in person - within the week.

~~~~~~~~~

Good luck to you. This is not an easy decision to consider at any time.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:38 am
microbiologistgal wrote:
See this is my dilemma!!! I am worried it will hurt him more if he knows. But I don't want to deny him the common courtesy of knowing . . .especially if he were to find out later and be mad that I didn't tell. Jeez.

One last remark. I don't think your dilemma is that you are worried about hurting him. If that were the case you would consider him in this decision. I think you are worried about him getting mad at you and that affecting you.

I think you should be consistent and stop reading these remarks. You are only going to consider yourself in this decision so stop asking questions - these responses won't change your mind, don't tell him - he wont change your mind, and if he finds out merely reply the truth 'I simply did not consider you in that decision'. This would, ofcourse, mean that you would have to bear the consequences of that remark - but atleast you would be consistent and honest.

TTF
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:45 am
TTF, eB, & others, glad you're seeing things my way--i said the same things in my posts. i thought i was overlooking something obvious. but i see TTF's point, also. by not telling the guy, she's assuming he can't handle the knowledge of her decision.

& to the young woman with the dilemma, it *is* a dilemma. you can't have your cake and eat it too, sometimes. either you tell, or don't tell & hope no one finds out. if it's any consolation, you said he was egocentric; i presume that's one reason you're not expecting the relationship to last--a good reason too, in my mind--so he may well resent finding out later, yet shrug it off if you tell him in advance. you also mentioned benefits, so i presume you're on his medical benefits; if the benefits cover abortion, and you use them, it *might* be tricky hiding things from him. you'll probably need a plausible explanation for why you had a visit that required xxx dollars, or make sure you throw away the notice from the insurer before he sees it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:47 am
I keep being surprised at what is being ascribed to microbiologistgal. She's been pretty up-front since the beginning. She doesn't know what to do. She's asking for advice. That is all consistent with someone who can see both sides of an issue, and is not sure which way to go.

I agree that Brooke, guidedog and ehBeth make a point, and can see how that would renew the struggle for microbiologistgal. If she is worried about hurting him, she has valid worries either way.

Personally, I find asking for advice, especially lots of it, very useful. It doesn't usually change my mind -- but it is often very good at helping to uncover what I think I should do.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:50 am
szb, she's been undecided about what to tell the man in her relationship; there's been no indication she's undecided about having an abortion, and she seemed to take umbrage at people who proposed alternatives to abortion, something i never did by the way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:01 am
That's what I was saying too.

The abortion issue has been decided and she hasn't asked for any opinions on it.

She is unsure of what to do about telling the guy, and can see how either option (telling, not telling) would hurt him. Reasonable of her.

I hadn't seen your post btw just above mine btw yitwail, and I wasn't responding to you. Was responding to TTF saying things like, " I don't think your dilemma is that you are worried about hurting him... I think you are worried about him getting mad at you and that affecting you." It is certainly reasonable to think it would hurt him more to tell him and then, even if he is against it, having the abortion, than if he never knew at all.

btw, "friends with benefits" means a couple of people who are basically just friends, but hook up now and then. Not a dating sort of relationship.
0 Replies

turtlette

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:38 am
Re: When should you keep your mouth shut?
microbiologistgal wrote:
but I also think that he should at least be able to voice his opinion?

You answered your own question.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:39 am
sozobe wrote:

I hadn't seen your post btw just above mine btw yitwail, and I wasn't responding to you. Was responding to TTF saying things like, " I don't think your dilemma is that you are worried about hurting him... I think you are worried about him getting mad at you and that affecting you." It is certainly reasonable to think it would hurt him more to tell him and then, even if he is against it, having the abortion, than if he never knew at all.

btw, "friends with benefits" means a couple of people who are basically just friends, but hook up now and then. Not a dating sort of relationship.

thanks for clarifying both points. while i read TTF's last comment, i overlooked the judgmental tone. but this being a topic that tends to elicit emotional responses, i don't find much fault with that. nobody's perfect, except for religious fanatics perhaps.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:54 am
Yitwal:

It is so damned tough to display 'tone' on the internet.

There was no judgmental tone. It is merely the attempt to frame the question. I mistakenly thought that by telling him she was going to be asking for his input.

Once I realized this was not the case - I went back and re-read her posts. The only conclusion I can make is that she is not interested in his input, but does not want him mad at her.

If she was considering his feelings on the matter she would have asked him how he felt about the abortion in the first place.

I then concluded that to be honest to herself, and honest to him, she should not tell him (he is not a consideration) and if he finds out to also be honest and tell him that he was not a consideration.

Unless, he is indeed a consideration - then we are back to the beginning, which is getting his input.

The tone was one of consistency - that is all.

I respectfully disagree with Sozobe that asking advice merely allows you to clarify the reasoning behind your decision. Advice seems to connote that a decision has yet to be made. If you are asking for "advice" after the decision, you are not looking for advice, just co-conspirators.

TTF
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:57 am
This is a very interesting dilemma, micro, and the thread has thrived because of it.
I can easily put myself in her shoes and imagine being in such a situation 20 years ago but I suggest she thinks about what would happen if she told him. How does she think he'll react? Will he want her to have an abortion or does she think he'll want her to have the child? If he wants her to have it, would she? And if she wouldn't, what then?
Of course, if she doesn't tell him, all of this is moot.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:59 am
I guess I see this as binary - and I might be wrong.

I do not understand how one can half-way consider anothers feelings.

I don't understand the tac that 'I can consider how he would react to my decision - but I will not consider whether he should have some input on the matter.'

It seems to consider a persons feelings you must go all the way - Consider how he would feel by asking his opinion in the matter and take into consideration in your decision.

If you are not going to consider his feelings in the decision, then also go all the way - Do not consider him in the decision and do not consider how he would feel if you told him.

I admit, though, that my view may be limited.

TTF
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:26 am
Brooke wrote:

Brooke,

Would you feel this way if you were on the other side of it?

Would you rather not know such an important thing just because someone else was making the decision?

I certainly [b[dont[/b] want to be "protected" in this way. I would without question want to know-- even if the decision weren't mine.

Are there really things that YOU would rather not know? I don't think there are such things for me, and it is not up to someone else to make these decisions for me anyway.

It may be easy for a woman to be cavalier about this since the decision is theirs.

But as a man I would want to know, and I would feel deeply wronged if I weren't told. Any implication that you are doing the man a favor by not telling him is completely false.

I suspect that most men would agree with me on this.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:27 am
Absolutely. If you're going to tell him then his reaction should be a consideration. If it doesn't matter what he thinks then why bother telling him at all?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:27 am
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
................So now they live with it. And it's very sad. Not only because they ended up hating the person whom they got pregnant.....but they live with the heartache of what she did to their child.....................

odd the most common source of hatred, and one that caries such 'acceptance' with it is an uncaring affection for life!

[stay alive, or i will kill you!]
0 Replies