When should you keep your mouth shut?

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:17 pm
microbiologistgal wrote:

The mutual friends are my best girlfriends so I trust them, but, I don't know. I think perhaps I'll tell him, but I will miss his friendship. I'll let you all know Thursday, and after my doc's appointment Saturday. Thanks Smile

I have done the friends with benifits thing before Micro - I think that friendship was doomed to end the second you crossed the line to sex. It just changes the relationship so much that it is the odd one that can survive it.

That is just my experience.

TTF

p.s. I am so proud that I stayed on topic. Wink Firsts for everything.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:53 pm
Bravo on the staying on topic. :-)

I'll add quickly that the point of real friends with benefits situations is that they aren't Relationships With A Future. They're just friends with benefits. If both people are truly on-board about it being no strings and no particular future, it can work fine. The problem is when one of them (if it's both it's usually not as much of a problem) has real feelings for the other.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:21 am
Well put - exactly what I was trying to say.

If he had a future as a friend you would not have had sex with him - if he had a future a lover - you would not be saying that he didn't.

He is in this position because of his expendibility to a certain degree.

I know that sounds harsh - but I think it is the reality.

I care about you enough to have sex with you - but not enough to commit to a friendship (thus not mucking it up with sex) or enough for a relationship (thus not committing to that). I just want to have sex with you out of convienience.

As a girl - friend of mine called it - he is a living dildo.

Jason
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:35 am
thethinkfactory wrote:
BoGoWo wrote:

[a microscopic dead fetus is vastly preferable to a wretched human tragedy]

This is where I wonder. To be or not to be. Camus said it is the ONLY philosophical question.

I wonder if this is true. I have no answers - and I think were I to disagree with BoGoWo my statement would be as valid as his. I think that if you were to frame an existence with inconvieniences as wretched - you have already placed a value on it. Stoics would say you are not in control of that portion of your existence - only your thoughts and desires surrounding your existence................TTF

if we are to give due consideration to the as yet only 'potential' being represented by a very real, and vigorously multiplying cellular structure, about to produce it, we must consider the 'quality' of that beiong's life, not only its occurrence, in spite of all odds!

[a life is precious, only if it is worth living!]

and to later comments about the mothers 'duties', moral or otherwise;
the mother must be responsible to herself; her child is a part of that self, even though seperate itteration it may be, it is her. And if she honestly, emotionally, and logically is not ready, able, or willing to split herself, at this point in her life, into twin deprndencies for which she will remain 'responsible', it is better to remain as one, until the time that she can make that choice - it is HERS!

[it is a short distance from a 'cancer' to a 'miracle']
0 Replies

crazydragonclk

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:32 am
microbiologistgal

I am 21 and not in the best financial situation, I was lucky enough to have a say and to even know that my Girlfriend was pregnant. We dicussed it and even though we did want to abort the child for obvious reasons, in the end we decided not to. Despite difficult times, I think that depriving him of knowing what is happeneing is a terrible thing to do.

Maybe you are ultimately gonna decide to abort the baby but he needs to know, and if he objects then let him, because in the end you will ultimately decide if you are or not.

"The end doesnt justify the means" Ive hoped you would have learned that from your experience with him and so too I think you need to put yourself in the position he is in, even if his ego is centered on himself, the baby is half of him and half of you.

My son is now 4 and a half months old, I love him so much, and it took alot of self sacrifice both on my part and his mother. I'll never look at abortion the same and I would never known this love for offspring if I had chosen to had the baby aborted. I sacrificed alot and until now I couldnt understand that intelligible goods arent always convenient and easy but what doesnt kill you makes you better and stronger. Just consider if the decision your making is motivated by pleasurable or intelligble goods. I hope the best of luck on whatever decision you make.
0 Replies

microbiologistgal

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:03 pm
crazydragon, I am happy for you and your girlfriend. Things are a little different, but it is interesting to get some first hand male perspective on being told. I truly appreciate it.

Bogo that is an interesting theory, whom are you quoting?

Unfortunately, whether or not a child in part of the mother's "self" is up for debate. many argue that it is simply an appendage, no more a part of the woman's physical structure than if someone were hooked up to your organs or living in your body cavity. Other's take your side.

I appreciate both of your opinions, but please, we are trying very hard not to turn this into an abortion topic. Even TTF is being good. Smile
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:49 pm
micro,

Just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow night. I truely hope everything goes well for you. Either way, just remember.......this is but another stepping stone in your life. It will be conquered and time will push forward to help you mend whatever needs mended.

Will be watching to see how it goes for you. I hope you will post to let us know. Smile
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:46 pm
microbiologistgal wrote:
Even TTF is being good. Smile

Yea!!!

I AM being good.

Micro - did my thoughts on the fathers relationship sound right - or is there more involved to complicate the issue?

TTF
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:43 pm
Re: When should you keep your mouth shut?
microbiologistgal wrote:
Hi there! So I'm torn. Would like to hear arguments on both sides, a la angel/devil on the shoulder. Smile
Thanks

You should do what is in your beliefs. You will get yes and no all over the place here. I personally don't believe prefer it and would ask, if in this situation of the other, to discuss alternatives. Such being me taking custody or adoption. Alot of couples would love a child of their own and you could work with an agency. But with all due respect to you my dear it is hard to go through a pregnancy, feel a child or hold him/her, and let them go. You have stated you don't want to comprimise your career as well. You may do so going through with it and then having motherly instincts kick in and want him/her. It is a tough choice and you have quite an undertaking to persue. If you are early on in your 1st tri-mester and are considering abortion I would say now is better than any before his/her mind develops and can feel the pain of it. God help you.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:15 am
Hi MBGal.

I have a few thoughts that could be constructive.

Ultimately abortion is your decision. However, it's his responsibility as much as yours and I think he deserves to at least give you his opinion on the matter, whether you care what he thinks or not.
This is something that has happened to you both, he just doesn't know it yet.

I think the fact that you are "torn" means you feel this even if you don't understand it.

One more reason to tell is that no matter how easy morally or physically it is for you to do this, there is bound to be some pain and guilt involved, and you shouldn't have to bear that alone when you are only %50 responsible for the situation.

You made this happen together, you should deal with it together, for the sake of all concerned.

Being a man, many women will dismiss my input as being irrelevant, but I can assure you that if I had been in such a situation, I would have supported the girl whatever her decision - it is her body and her future most directly effected, but if I found out later that I had been left out of the matter entirely, I would be absolutely furious.

Yet one more reason is that guilt is the most destructive of all emotions and you have to live the rest of your life knowing that you did not tell him. The short term pain of having to tell him now is much easier to bear long term.

So, in summary I feel that the decision to have an abortion is yours, but that he has a right to know about it and to take responsibility for it.

You have said you may tell him. I hope that you do.

I hope I have been some help. Smile
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:20 am
I still believe the best course of action (if an abortion is the choosen alternative) is to keep the matter private & not tell him. From a moral & responsible POV, I believe his opinion on abortion should be sought, however, he doesn't need to know his opinion is being sought relative to this pregnancy.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:49 pm
Omar de Fati wrote:
I still believe the best course of action (if an abortion is the choosen alternative) is to keep the matter private & not tell him. From a moral & responsible POV, I believe his opinion on abortion should be sought, however, he doesn't need to know his opinion is being sought relative to this pregnancy.

I thought so too, till Soz made her excellent points about why she should tell him.

The thing of it is ... she has already told some mutual friends of her possible abortion. If these friends ever tell him, can you imagine what he will feel like? Even IF he wants the abortion to happen also, he will most likely be upset that she did not consult him. And if he does NOT want the abortion, he will be upset that he was not given the opportunity to plead for his child's life. The latter probably being the worst for him to have to live with.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:02 pm
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
Omar de Fati wrote:

I thought so too, till Soz made her excellent points about why she should tell him.

The thing of it is ... she has already told some mutual friends of her possible abortion. If these friends ever tell him, can you imagine what he will feel like? Even IF he wants the abortion to happen also, he will most likely be upset that she did not consult him. And if he does NOT want the abortion, he will be upset that he was not given the opportunity to plead for his child's life. The latter probably being the worst for him to have to live with.

It's a difficult decision to make. I can't even imagine because I'm male. I can imagine how I'd feel if I were him. I suppose if some mutual friends already know, then it's best to tell him. That mutual friend element is certainly a curve ball!
0 Replies

microbiologistgal

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 02:41 pm
Finally, the news you've all been waiting for- the outcome.

Hey all,

So last night, I went over to my friend's house. And here's what happened:

I spit it out- I'm pregnant.

Before I could say anything else, he asked me to refill his glass of scotch. All the way. I obliged, and when I returned he said that he would support me and be there no matter what decision I made.

I told him that I thought an abortion would be best. He asked me a few questions, and then said he thought that was a good idea. He offered to take me to every Dr.'s appointment and help me in any way he can.

After our discussion he was looking a little shell shocked, so I told him that I was tossing around the idea of whether or not I should tell him, but ultimately decided to because (drumroll please) I respect him and value his friendship. He said he really appreciated that I came to him, it's his responsibility too and he doesn't want me to have to deal with it alone.

I don't know how it will affect our friendship in the long run. Right now we still have plans to go to a game this weekend and to a concert in May, so who knows. But it's nice to not have to go it alone.

HUGE sigh of relief. Thanks to everyone for helping me decide what I wanted to do.

MBGal
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 02:45 pm
Sounds like you have a good friend there, MBGirl.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:13 pm
Oh, that sounds like about the best possible outcome for you, microbiologistgal. Thanks so much for the update, and I'm so glad that it went as smoothly as it did. I know it's not all past tense, there's a lot to deal with yet, but that was a major stop along the way.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
That is great news. I am happy that everything worked out this way.

I wish you the best.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 03:16 pm
MBGirl--

Glad we could help--and glad that he will help.
0 Replies

Omar de Fati

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 05:04 pm
So do you have enough to drink for the whole class?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:45 pm
It worked out just like I came around to, that you should tell him out of friendship/respect. I am pleased for you, that he naturally stepped up to the plate.
0 Replies