In the GRAND scheme of things, what matters?

komr98

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 12:00 pm
In the grand (I'm talking GRAND grand) scheme of things, what matters? Do I matter? Do you? Does Earth? I mean, for all we know, this universe is just a figment of someone's (from some other universe) imagination. For all we know, everything we've ever known, is not true. So how do we know what ACTUALLY matters, if anything?

dalehileman

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 12:45 pm
@komr98,
I suppose 98 it depends upon what you mean by "MATTERS"

Meanwhile as I had pointed out in another thread, where Sci and Reason peter out we have only 1) Semantics and 2) Intuition left as tools
komr98

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 01:54 pm
@dalehileman,
By "matters" I mean something that will make a difference in the "end" or something that will make a difference in preventing an "end".

Thanks for your reply
bleephimer2

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 02:04 pm
@komr98,
Enjoying yourself while you are here...... thats what matters ,,,,!!!!!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 03:16 pm
@komr98,
I suppose some massive Universe-wide concerted cooperative effort could delay the "end" by a few centuries
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 04:19 pm
@komr98,
What matters? Love (appreciation).
No matter how long the universe persists it will someday end as will we mortals. That's not a problem because nothing can be done about it. But we can live in a way that includes love and appreciation for the moment-to-moment blessing of our fleeting (but "eternal" because it can never be undone/denied) existence.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 10:03 pm
@JLNobody,
Well said, JLN. "We" matter, and so does everyone else! We make our life as productive and satisfying as possible. We "try" to be good to our fellow man, and try to treat all with respect and dignity.

That's easier said than done.

I'm a reactive sort of person who has no patience for stupid.

Otherwise, I try my best to treat people well - not only family and friends.

We all have some strong points and some weak points, and understand we're not going to agree with everybody on everything. That's called "being human."

In my books, anywhose....
JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 May, 2013 11:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Indeed.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 10:06 am
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 10:45 am
@tsarstepan,
There's a report in the media today about the increase in suicides - mostly by self inflected gun shot. Based on some research, many men who can no longer have any hope of finding a job kill themselves.

Yup, we need more guns like the NRA's "more guns are needed to protect us!"
0 Replies

komr98

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 12:01 pm
I don't think anyone really understood the question. My apologies for not making it clear.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 12:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
"Nothing else matters" except for what we all perceive to be important to ourselves.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 02:32 pm
@komr98,
Quote:
I don't think anyone really understood the question.
Such wide-ranging philo stuff 98 can be broadly interpreted

Quote:
My apologies for not making it clear.
I had thought it pretty clear but then I'm somewhat narrow minded. However you might still make an attempt at clarification
komr98

Reply Fri 3 May, 2013 10:28 pm
@dalehileman,
My thoughts are much more vast than my vocabulary so I don't think I could ask the question clearly. I'm still interested in everyone's responses though, so thanks for your thoughts Smile
neologist

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 10:02 am
@komr98,
Is there a God to whom we have an obligation?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 10:03 am
@neologist,
You have obligation only to yourself and to the rest of humanity. It doesn't require a "god" for that simple truth.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 5 May, 2013 10:33 am
@komr98,
Quote:
My thoughts are much more vast than my vocabulary so I don't think I could ask the question clearly.
Over recent years in my old age I've tried to improve my vocab but now wish I could think better

Quote:
I'm still interested in everyone's responses though, so thanks for your thoughts
You're welcome 98, such as they are
0 Replies

komr98

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 11:09 am
@neologist,
I don't think that's for me to decide. Do you think we do?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 11:34 am
@komr98,
Quote:
In the GRAND scheme of things, what matters?
98 that's still a good q

Intuition insists that without us to appreciate it the entire exercise (Her) is a meaningless irrelevant random bouncing of objects off one another in a sea of radiation, the entirety cooling off in an ending scenario as a huge number of objects of one size or another mutually accelerating apart forever

Thus we matter

…..somehow
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 6 May, 2013 11:56 am
@komr98,
Quote:
In the grand (I'm talking GRAND grand) scheme of things, what matters? Do I matter? Do you? Does Earth? I mean, for all we know, this universe is just a figment of someone's (from some other universe) imagination. For all we know, everything we've ever known, is not true. So how do we know what ACTUALLY matters, if anything?

If you have two pairs of shoes, how do you know which one to wear?
Strange question, isn't it? There is no answer for you to uncover. You decide yourself which shoes to wear.
So, in the graaaand scheme of things, what matters? Among all the beliefs we have about existence, I do not know which, if any, is true. There is simply no way to know. But you still have to believe something, right? You will have to chose. Pick something that empowers you.