Star Wars in Philosophy.

Logicus

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 10:08 pm
I have read a book that involves a theme of Star Wars, a widely popular science-fiction franchise. The book was called Darth Bane: Rule of Two written by Drew Karpyshyn. There were many key points in it that could be related to extreme Darwinism, but with the mystical Force powers in it. I just wanted to see what you thought of some of the quotes and ideas in it.
Darth Bane: "Equality is a lie…A myth to appease the masses. Simply look around and you will see the lie for what it is! There are those with power, those with the strength and will to lead. And there are those meant to follow—those incapable of anything but servitude and a meager, worthless existence."
Sith Code: “Peace is a lie There is only passion Through passion I gain strength Through strength I gain power Through power I gain victory Through victory my chains are broken The Force shall set me free”
Darth Zannah: “Evil is a word used by the ignorant and the weak. The dark side is about survival. It’s about unleashing your inner power. It glorifies the strength of the individual.”

I know this is science-fiction and not real scientific stuff, but I just want to see it more philosophically, without the Force involved in it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 27,489 • Replies: 90

JLNobody

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 10:53 pm
@Logicus,
These comments seem to have been drawn--with distortion and exaggeration--from the thoughts of Nietzsche.
Logicus

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2013 10:53 pm
@JLNobody,
Nihilism seems to make some sense. But I agree.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:05 am
@Logicus,
I've always admired this quote from Richard III:
Conscience is but a word that cowards use,
Devised at first to keep the strong in awe.
Our strong arms be our conscience, swords our law.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 01:35 am
@Logicus,
Drew Karpyshyn started out as a designer of violent video games and, essentially, that's what he does in his books -- they are novelizations of video games rather than actual novels. They are to prose literature what rhymed birthday greetings on Hallmark cards are to poetry.

As to the three quotes you posted, I don't know if I'd go so far as to dignify them with the word "philosophy." They represent an expression of a kind of pseudo-Neitzschean nihilism which was (and probably still is) quite popular with the Skinheads of the last couple of decades of the 20th Century. Notice, there is absolutely no concern with anything resembling ethics; the whole 'philosophy' is about the Will to Power with all other considerations cast aside.

I don't know whether you'd be interested in living in that kind of world. I know I'd prefer a quick death.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 04:52 am
@Logicus,
The theme running through these quotes is one of over simplification with regard to the true human condition which is not the power of the individual but the power of the group.

True power for an individual derives from self discipline.

True power over others derives from the individual's position within the group, and can never be separated from the group (although there can be multiple groups in play).

I think these "Sith" have become too drunk with the power they leach from The Force to recognize that their ruthless self-interest inherently limits their other avenue of power which is through social status.
Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 09:33 am
@neologist,
It does seem to relate to this, "Sith" Creed in a way.
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 09:34 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I'm just drawn to it, because it seems like this could be applied to the real world.
Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 09:37 am
@rosborne979,
They were only samples of what the Sith believe in in only one book. I am kind of one of those Star Wars geeks, so I could name a couple of other sources where, "Sith" Philosophy can be found. It does seem to be some form of extreme Darwinism mixed with some Nihilism.
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 09:45 am
A couple of more quotes. Some of them may not explain their philosophy, but may show you who they are, and how they act:
http://sithacademy.com/inspiration/quotes/
http://sith-happens.tripod.com/id28.html

One that I could not find a link to, but describes the Sith some more. Also, this is one of my favorite quotes for some reason.
"Honor is a fool's prize; glory is of no use to the dead." -Darth Revan
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 09:59 am
I hate to break this to you, but this is fiction. There is no "philosophy" in play here, there is just the author's imagination. Philosophy is the study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, the acquisition of knowledge, and the nature of reality and existence. Philosophy is a systematic exercise which attempts to define these things and to comprehensively reconcile the definitions and to justify them logically, and the adherents hope, empirically. This is just a set of aphorism the author dreamed up because he thought they sounded cool. Of all the shallow exercises you have indulged in here this is just about the most clueless.
Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:24 am
@Setanta,
There are things that can be learned in fiction. Just because the author thought it was, in your words, "cool", doesn't mean that there isn't anything to learned. Ignorance begins when things become irrelevant to people.
Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:27 am
@Setanta,
If you feel that there is nothing to be learned here, then do not join the discussion. (I feel kind of bad typing that). Apologies.
Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:32 am
@Logicus,
I don't need aphorisms from you about ignorance, although i will note that you see,m uniquely qualified to comment on that subject. This so-called philosophy is entirely derivative--the author is simply restating what someone else has said, and said better, elsewhere. There is no Sith systematic examination of knowledge, or the nature of reality and existence and the acquisition of knowledge about the nature of reality and of existence. If you really want to banish your ignorance, you will apply yourself to the study of philosophy and not third-rate science fiction which is basically western movies masquerading as science fiction.
Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:33 am
@Logicus,
Don't tell me what to do, fool.
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:35 am
@Setanta,
Why should you care if I want to believe that fiction may hold some kind of important knowledge in them? I don't bugger into your beliefs. Last time I'm ever going to use bugger...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:38 am
I don't care what passes for education at your house. I am free in this forum to call bullsh*t when i see it. Talking about Sith "philosophy" is bullsh*t.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:42 am
At ALL levels of comprehension where theorizing is involved philosophy exists, undoubtedly some are far better then others at it...but technically Logicus is right.
Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:45 am
@Setanta,
I think I'm at metaphorical crossroad of life here. A choice everyone must make eventually in their lifetime: should I feed the hungry troll?
0 Replies

Logicus

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2013 10:46 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Exactly. I'm not saying this kind of philosophy is the best kind, but it is worth looking at, at least.