Something for ya Liberal's too chew on.

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:14 pm
Re: McGintrix
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Her statement that the "constitution was carved in stone" is also wrong ...

BBB

and it was written on parchment. the ten commandements were carved in stone, as the story goes.

but then, some tend to get the constitution and the ten commandments confused these days...
I was mediforically speaking. Rolling Eyes

oh. aww well, doesn't make what i said less accurate.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 09:55 am
I don't believe anything these so called Conservatives say.

Sooo, C.G., you don't believe what Christians say, and don't believe what Conservatives say. Who do you believe?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 09:56 am
I was mediforically speaking.

Maybe medications instead of medifors would help.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:00 pm
Chew #2
http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunher...cs/11454833.htm

Mississippi allows religious documents posted on public property

SHELIA BYRD

Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. - Mississippi is among the first states in the nation to make it lawful to allow religious documents to be posted on public property.

By signing the law Wednesday, Gov. Haley Barbour "thrills" the Christian conservative base of the Republican Party, which he'll need if he plans to seek re-election or launch a presidential campaign, says Larry J. Sabato, director of the director of the Institute of Politics at the University of Virginia.

The law gives permission to those in authority of public buildings to post The Ten Commandments, excerpts of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount and the motto, "In God We Trust."

"Fundamentalist Christians can be a majority of those who turn up in caucus primaries. This would be very useful in seeking the Republican nomination for president," Sabato said.

Barbour, a former Republican National Party Chairman and political director for the Reagan White House, has dismissed speculation about a run for the presidency in 2008.

Barbour signed the bill without a public ceremony. The law is the latest in a string of legislation supported by Mississippi's Christian conservatives.

In 2001, Mississippi passed a law that required "In God We Trust" to be posted in every public classroom, cafeteria and gym. Last fall, Mississippi approved a state constitutional amendment banning gay marriage. A state law banned same-sex marriages in 1997.

Barbour already has a Ten Commandments display in his Capitol office.

"When I went to Yazoo High, we started each day with prayer and a Ten Commandments monument stood right outside the front door on the grounds of the school. Those were good things back then, and they would be good things today," Barbour said.

Sabato said Mississippi's new law is fallout from former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore.

Moore was ousted from office in November 2003 for refusing to remove his Ten Commandments monument from public display in the state judicial building.

Several states, including South Carolina and Michigan, are considering legislation to display the Ten Commandments on public property.

Steve Crampton, chief counsel for the Tupelo, Miss.-based American Family Association Center for Law and Policy, said Mississippi's bill is part of a resurgence of support for public acknowledgment of God.

"There's a real argument to be made that this sort of bill appeals to mainstream America," Crampton said.

In 2001, AFA helped raise $25,000 to put framed "In God We Trust" posters in Mississippi classrooms.

The Mississippi American Civil Liberties Union is awaiting a U.S. Supreme Court ruling over the constitutionality of displaying the Decalogue on public property before deciding whether to challenge the new law. Justices have heard arguments in cases from Texas and Kentucky.

Mississippi ACLU Executive Director Nsombi Lambright said the new law was political maneuvering. She said Mississippi is the only state to move forward with a Ten Commandments law before the federal ruling.

"The way they're talking about it, they're using this to restore morality, and that's not the purpose of state government," Lambright said.

She said the ACLU has received calls about the displays appearing in some buildings, but no formal complaint has been filed.

---

The bill is Senate Bill 2486.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:05 pm
an "activist" governor ?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:17 pm
Who are they sucking up to - God or fundies? Must be fundies because God doesn't have a vote.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:30 pm
i dunno bro'...

i'll happily agree that something over 70% of americans identify themselves as christian, if pushed for an answer. but the hard core 13% or so that are trying to highjack the government are in the minority. that's okay. they are revving up a backlash that's gonna knock 'em cross eyed.

they're making a mockery of their own religion and blaming everyone but themselves when people don't take them serious.

it comes off like more than a little blasphemous to me.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:45 pm
Coming from a secular culture as I do it's interesting to see the amount of religion that is in public affairs in the US. It's like watching the development of a theocracy.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:55 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Coming from a secular culture as I do it's interesting to see the amount of religion that is in public affairs in the US. It's like watching the development of a theocracy.

You might wish to take out the word "like" in that post, goodfielder. It scares the bejazus out of me.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:56 pm
goodfielder wrote:

don't know where you are, or from (?), but this really only started about 15 or 20 years ago. before that it was fairly normal, even in the south where i grew up. it's really pretty weird.

seems to me, the older countries have already been through all of this crap and saw the havock that resulted.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:04 pm
I don't recall it being a big feature of the US when I first visited in 1984. I spent two months in various parts of the US and Canada. I also didn't notice it in the visits I made since 1984 either (my last lengthy visit was 1996). It seems to have only been in the last few years.

I'm from Australia (hence the little note about a "sunburnt country" in my location tag.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 04:15 am
?
goodfielder wrote:
Where you live, could people like us be prosecuted? Are Relgious Rights discriminated there?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 04:23 am
No.

Only in our dreams.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 12:58 pm
CG-- did you really mean "prosecuted"? Or perhaps "persecuted" is more what you're thinking of? Just curious. Persecution can obviously occur to any group or person anywhere, but actual prosecution is a different matter.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 05:44 pm
They don't get persecuted either.

They just persecute others - or try to.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 06:05 pm
No they aren't persecuted or prosecuted.

Because religion doesn't loom large in public life and it's considered to be a private, personal matter it's very low key. And aside from a bit of sniping between Anglicans (what you would identify as the Episcopal Church I think) and Catholics it's always been that way here.

It was Mark Twain who, when he was visiting here (my city) and found there were 64 Christian denominations first called Adelaide The City of Churches in admiration of the religious tolerance here.

When a new Mormon temple was built a couple of years ago they had an open day before closing it off to LDS people only and frankly it was packed with people checking it out. The local Vietnamese Buddhist community opened a new temple and same thing. The local Vietnamese Buddhist community and the local Vietnamese Christian communities get on well.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 01:44 pm
I think that Florida needs more funding for the No Child Left Behind program.

I find it hard to believe that people with her intellectual laziness actually exist today.

Anyone else notice how most of the Right-wing crowd stopped posting after CG's 9/11 comment?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 01:49 pm
Is CG fer real, or did you guys just make her up for the comic relief?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:16 pm
I think someone did.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 05:11 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

You might wish to take out the word "like" in that post, goodfielder. It scares the bejazus out of me.

Me too. We just had a candidate on our mayoral ballot who came out of nowhere. He was funded by the Christian Coalition. Scared the bejazus out of a bunch of us. He was defeated this time, but he'll probably be back.
0 Replies