Something for ya Liberal's too chew on.

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:13 pm
(From http://www.koin.com Portland Bill!)

Supreme Court Nullifies Same-Sex Marriage Licenses
Nearly 3,000 Licenses Voided

PORTLAND -- The Oregon Supreme Court on Thursday nullified nearly 3,000 marriage licenses issued to same-sex couples by Multnomah County a year ago.

certificateThe court said while the county can question the constitutionality of laws governing marriage, they are a matter of statewide concern so the county had no authority to issue licenses to gay couples.

The court noted that last November, Oregonians approved a constitutional amendment that limits marriages to a man and a woman. The court also said that long before that vote, state law had set the same limitations on marriages since Oregon became a state.

"Today, marriage in Oregon - an institution once limited to opposite-sex couples only by statute - now is so limited by the state Constitution as well," the court ruling said.

The court left the door open for state legislators to craft an alternative to gay marriages, such as civil unions.

"We conclude that Oregon law currently places the regulation of marriage exclusively within the province of the state's legislative power," the court said.

A day earlier, Gov. Ted Kulongoski said he will push for a law allowing gay couples in Oregon to form civil unions that would give them many of the rights available to married couples.

Members of the Legislature have been awaiting the ruling to give them guidance on how to proceed on the issue of same-sex couples.

Vermont is the first and still the only state to offer civil unions to gays, passing a law in 2000. Massachusetts has allowed gay marriage since May.

Multnomah County began issuing marriages to gay couples last April, arguing that not doing so violated the state Constitution. A judge ordered the practice to cease about six weeks later, but not before nearly 3,000 same-sex couples had wed.

Marte Sheehan, who married Linda Duchek last March, said she was disappointed with the ruling but had hopes the Legislature would pass a bill allowing civil unions.

"I believe that ultimately the Legislature will do the right thing," she said. :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4: :t4:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 9,557 • Replies: 180
No top replies

revel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:09 am
It seems to me the solution is simple; gays who seek to be legally joined should work towards changing the state laws.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:23 am
Interesting. The denial of rights to a section of society is occasion for celebration?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:34 am
Don't feed the troll. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:37 am
I note that CG is from Florida. Enough said. Texas with a Disney World.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:49 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

lol
Probably an advocate of just shootin' all them homo-sex-oouls.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:56 am
BBB
bm
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:40 pm
i don't understand how you couldbe totally unsympathtic to these people. what would it feel like to suddenly be told you were no longer allowed to be married to the person you had chosen as your spouse? i just feel bad for those who have had their rights trampled on again. i don't understand how this country has become so stodgy, judgemental, and so unable to allow people to be different. the religious right promotes their so-called "culture of life" and obsesses over the rights of Terri Schiavo and unformed fetuses, and yet denies rights to normal, loving, functional people. a culture of life and a culture of hate all in one.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 12:12 am
Re: Something for ya Liberal's too chew on.
Oregon is likely to pass a law granting civil unions. It doesn't seem any different than marriage to me. I think that all of those people should get their money back for the license fee, or automatically granted civil union when it becomes law.

Anyone, gay or straight who gets married deserves what they get. So I don't really have any sympathy, but I do think it's stupid that they are nullifying the marriages. How exactly does it affect you if a gay couple gets married? If everyone minded their own business this would be such a great world to live in.

Also, you can always find a church or someone that can give you a marriage ceremony. The trick is getting the state to recognize it. So if you get married without the state recognition and then get the recognition for a civil union, what the heck is the difference?

Come to think of it, states should stay out of the marriage business all together because it's religion. Let the churches do the marriages and give everybody, gay and straight a civil union...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 04:42 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

say... florida... hey! isn't that the place where all of those little girls keep getting abducted and killed ??

they should worry about cleaning up their own mess before worrying about what consenting adults in other states are doing.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 04:53 pm
Yeah, take that, liberals! In my face! BOOYAH! Whatchu want, huh? Yeah, that's what I thought! Get up outta here. UHH!
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:25 pm
Quote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I think its stupid that theyre preventing same-sex couples. I mean it's discrination. Preventing it is hurting people; those who desire a same sex marriage. Just give them some rights.

I dont get the title of this thread. Are you proud of this?!

It should be "take that, ratinality" not "take that liberals"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:48 pm
see, the conservatives are mostly part of the GOP, a party that preaches heavily that the "beast " of govt should be kept starved and out of peoples lives. So far, it appears to me, that theyre not compiling the greatest track record practicing what they preach.
roverroad

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:55 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

say... florida... hey! isn't that the place where all of those little girls keep getting abducted and killed ??

they should worry about cleaning up their own mess before worrying about what consenting adults in other states are doing.

It's ironic that all of the worse and weirdest news stories have been coming out of Florida and Texas over the last five years. And they create some of the worse politicians in history. We should sell Florida and Texas.

Funny, people in those states think California is the problem, while the rest of us are laughing at Florida and Texas.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 06:08 pm
farmerman wrote:
see, the conservatives are mostly part of the GOP, a party that preaches heavily that the "beast " of govt should be kept starved and out of peoples lives. So far, it appears to me, that theyre not compiling the greatest track record practicing what they preach.

the crux of the biscuit.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 06:36 pm
roverroad wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

It's ironic that all of the worse and weirdest news stories have been coming out of Florida and Texas over the last five years. And they create some of the worse politicians in history. We should sell Florida and Texas.

Funny, people in those states think California is the problem, while the rest of us are laughing at Florida and Texas.

they have been acting a little funny lately. things may have changed, but when i was growing up in the south, neither one of those states were all that popular with us.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
by the way, roverroad, there is, from what i have heard, a difference between civil unions and actual marriage. i don't know the specifics, but i know that there are a large number of rights that marriage grants a couple that a civil union does not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:09 pm
I think I've caught on that people want the word marriage to be reserved for religious ceremonials and civil unions for non religious knot-tying. Lots of heterosexual married couples haven't had a religious ceremony. Wonder if all those folks will be in the unmarried lineup sometime in the future.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:23 pm
farmerman wrote:

Yes.
From a long way away from the US, farmerman, it seems that way to me, too! Confused
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:26 pm
dora17 wrote:
i don't understand how you couldbe totally unsympathtic to these people. what would it feel like to suddenly be told you were no longer allowed to be married to the person you had chosen as your spouse? i just feel bad for those who have had their rights trampled on again. i don't understand how this country has become so stodgy, judgemental, and so unable to allow people to be different. the religious right promotes their so-called "culture of life" and obsesses over the rights of Terri Schiavo and unformed fetuses, and yet denies rights to normal, loving, functional people. a culture of life and a culture of hate all in one.

I agree! People are people and I could care less who sleeps with who. They're not hurting anyone, so I don't get what the fuss is about. Some people just aren't happy if they don't have something to bitch about!
0 Replies