Something for ya Liberal's too chew on.

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:04 pm
One question. What harm would it do to anyone to allow gay marriage?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:07 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Interesting. The denial of rights to a section of society is occasion for celebration?

To find this interesting, one must believe that the given section of society is deserving of such rights, and that such rights actually exist.

One might also find it interesting that pedophiles are denied their right to have sexs with children or that bank robbers are denied their right to enrich themselves.

Whether one believes a certain group has a specific right to a given activity is meaningless, unless one is prepared to engage in time consuming political activism.

Perhaps same sex marriages should be legal, but outlawing such unions is hardly an example of obvious disregard for the Constitution.

Your argument might gain greater traction if you resisted the temptation to scorn or demonize those who disagree with you.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:38 pm
OMFG the pedophile canard again. Do you never tire of the same tired non-sequitur?

Hmmm...I guess Finn is unaware of the concept of equal justice under the law or that inalienable rights exist even those not enumerated.

What's this world coming to? Before you know black MEN will be allowed to marry WHITE women and to ride on any seat on the bus, eat in the same restaurant and use the SAME bathrooms. Of course, the majority can always oppress the unpopular minority but only for awhile.

You guys will NEVER win. Truth, love, freedom and justice will alway trumps hate, fear and injustice in the end.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:41 pm
Montana wrote:
One question. What harm would it do to anyone to allow gay marriage?

Doncha know, gay marriage leads to pederasty.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:54 pm
I can't believe some people would compare pedophiles to adult gay marriage. <sigh>! One has nothing to do with the other and to even compare is absurd!

Why can't some people just live and let live? I'll never understand why there is so much prejudice in this world and it's a real shame!
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:35 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
Interesting. The denial of rights to a section of society is occasion for celebration?

To find this interesting, one must believe that the given section of society is deserving of such rights, and that such rights actually exist.

One might also find it interesting that pedophiles are denied their right to have sexs with children or that bank robbers are denied their right to enrich themselves.

Whether one believes a certain group has a specific right to a given activity is meaningless, unless one is prepared to engage in time consuming political activism.

Perhaps same sex marriages should be legal, but outlawing such unions is hardly an example of obvious disregard for the Constitution.

Your argument might gain greater traction if you resisted the temptation to scorn or demonize those who disagree with you.

Quote:

Let's just turn that around so that it faces the right way. Firstly, do such rights actually exist? Marriage is both a civil contract and a religious sacrament, in general terms. As a right, marriage is available to adults only (yes I know there are exceptions but of course they are exceptions). Society has restricted that right on reasonable grounds. As far as the religious aspect of it, that's the prerogative of whatever religion it is.

Quote:
One might also find it interesting that pedophiles are denied their right to have sexs with children or that bank robbers are denied their right to enrich themselves

So? Paedophiles don't have a right to have sex with children, no-one has the right to have sex with children, as a "right" it exists for nobody because it's deemed deviant and criminal behaviour. "Bank robbers" aren't denied the right to enrich themselves, they can go and buy a lottery ticket like anyone else. Nobody has the right to rob a bank, it's deemed deviant and criminal behaviour.

Quote:

You'll have to explain that one to me, it doesn't make sense.

Quote:

Did I say it was?

Quote:
Your argument might gain greater traction if you resisted the temptation to scorn or demonize those who disagree with you

Checked the mirror lately? Show me where I have scorned or demonised someone? You must have me confused with a Right winger.

Anyway you have yet to really see me scorn and demonise. I have been on my best behaviour here.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:41 am
"We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." - Thomas Jefferson

"All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them." - Jesus the Christ

Idea
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 03:01 am
ConstitutionalGirl wrote:
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
---Universal Decleration of human rights quote---.
I don't think this applies to US Law's.

Probably not. Though I don't know if anyone else is as amused by this as I.

Let's look at the situation logically for a moment.

Banning anything requires a fair bit of effort and given human nature it isn't necessary to specifically allow something, merely by not banning it is by default considered to be allowed. So if effort is going to be expended to ban something (homosexual marriages) then we have to consider whether the expenditure is worth the cost.

What, logically, is a good reason to ban homosexual marriages?
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 04:48 am
Hmm...that's interesting. The UN recognizes rights which do not exist under the US Constitution? That is simply not the case. Inalienable rights. whether enumerated or not are protected under the US Constutution. So is equla justice under the law. Seems like someone with the Orwellian handle of "Constitutional Girl" would know that.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:36 am
goodfielder wrote:

So? Paedophiles don't have a right to have sex with children, no-one has the right to have sex with children, as a "right" it exists for nobody because it's deemed deviant and criminal behaviour. "Bank robbers" aren't denied the right to enrich themselves, they can go and buy a lottery ticket like anyone else. Nobody has the right to rob a bank, it's deemed deviant and criminal behaviour.

Let's continue your train of thought here, just for fun. Homosexuals currently don't have the right to marry people of the same sex, but as a "right" it exists for nobody because it has historically been deemed abnormal/unacceptable (I don't like the word deviant in this case) to the majority of society.

I think the above statement has as much validity as yours. Society, as a whole, determines what is or is not acceptable. And until the GLBT supporters can change the minds of society as a whole, same sex marriage innitiatives will fail. Demonizing the other side will not win any support and yet many in the GLBT community continue to do so, including several on this forum.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:31 am
McGentrix wrote:
I know of people that also enjoy sex with 10 year old girls, yet we use the excuse of religion, morals, and the law to exclude that class of people from forming the norms of our society.

My issue against same sex marriage is that group won't be satisfied with a civil union until everyone else is forced to have them. Perhaps if there was less heterophobia the issue wouldn't be as much of a flash point as it is.

Laws against "sex with 10 year old girls" are instituted to protect minors from predators. It's the first time I've heard that the lawmakers "use the excuse of religion, morals, and the law" to enact such legislation. Your postings get more bizarre by the minute, McG.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 07:33 am
Chrissee wrote:
Hmm...that's interesting. The UN recognizes rights which do not exist under the US Constitution? That is simply not the case. Inalienable rights. whether enumerated or not are protected under the US Constutution. So is equla justice under the law. Seems like someone with the Orwellian handle of "Constitutional Girl" would know that.
It's Equal Justice under the Law. "One sees a cat orange, one sees the same cat red, and the other sees it yellow. But this cat had allways been the same color since birth. The US Constitution was created and carved in stone in 1776, when all of the Politician's were Christian, that gotten most of their education from the bible.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 08:10 am
CG wrote:

Quote:
It's Equal Justice under the Law. "One sees a cat orange, one sees the same cat red, and the other sees it yellow. But this cat had allways been the same color since birth. The US Constitution was created and carved in stone in 1776, when all of the Politician's were Christian, that gotten most of their education from the bible.

The founders hardly relied on the "bible" for their education. They relied on Locke, Montesque, the Greeks and Romans, their own observations. Many of the founders were deists. Which is not really Christianity. Some of them were Jewish. Some practiced no religion at all. They actually saw religion as a stumbling block when it came to freedom and thinking. Jefferson wrote his own version of the bible that removed all the miracles of Christ because he saw it as a moral tale not a religious one. Franklin often wrote to criticize religion and its leaders. In one response to pamphlets published by the clergy Franklin wrote.

Quote:
Asses are grave and dull animals,
Our authors are grave and dull animals; therefore
Our authors are grave and dull or if you will, Reverand Asses.

In another letter to his brother Franklin wrote about an attack on a French fort in the French Indian wars where he made fun of the religious aspect of calling it a crusade.

Quote:
You have a fast and prayer day for that purpose in which I compute five hundred thousand petitions were offered up to the same effect in New England, which added to the petitions of every family morning and evening, multipiled by the number of days since January 25th, make forty-five millions of prayers; which set against the prayers of a few priests in the garrison, to the Virgin Mary, give a vast balance in your favor. If you do not succeed, I fear I shall have but an indifferent opinion of Presbytarian prayers in such cases as long as I live.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 09:48 am
parados
parados, thanks for setting CG straight. Her knowledge of our history is appallingly pathetic.

BBB
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 11:09 am
Re: parados
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
parados, thanks for setting CG straight. Her knowledge of our history is appallingly pathetic.

BBB

This is the kind of off hand remark that really irritates me.

It's not as though Jefferson and Franklin were the only founding fathers of our nation. In all, 55 delegates attended the Constitutional Convention sessions, but only 39 actually signed the Constitution. The delegates ranged in age from Jonathan Dayton, aged 26, to Benjamin Franklin, aged 81, who was so infirm that he had to be carried to sessions in a sedan chair.

Oliver Ellsworth - was born on April 29, 1745, in Windsor, CT, to Capt. David and Jemima Ellsworth. He entered Yale in 1762 but transferred to the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) at the end of his second year. He continued to study theology and received his A.B. degree after 2 years. Soon afterward, however, Ellsworth turned to the law. After 4 years of study, he was admitted to the bar in 1771.

William Samuel Johnson - was the son of Samuel Johnson, the first president of King's College (later Columbia College and University). William was born at Stratford, CT, in 1727. His father, who was a well-known Anglican clergyman-philosopher, prepared him for college and he graduated from Yale in 1744. About 3 years later he won a master of arts degree from the same institution and an honorary master's from Harvard. Resisting his father's wish that he become a minister, Johnson embraced law instead--largely by educating himself and without benefit of formal training.

Hugh Williamson - The versatile Williamson was born of Scotch-Irish descent at West Nottingham, PA., in 1735. He was the eldest son in a large family, whose head was a clothier. Hoping he would become a Presbyterian minister, his parents oriented his education toward that calling. After attending preparatory schools at New London Cross Roads, DE, and Newark, DE, he entered the first class of the College of Philadelphia (later part of the University of Pennsylvania) and took his degree in 1757. The next 2 years, at Shippensburg, PA, Williamson spent settling his father's estate. Then training in Connecticut for the ministry, he soon became a licensed Presbyterian preacher but was never ordained. Around this time, he also took a position as professor of mathematics at his alma mater.

John Rutledge - elder brother of Edward Rutledge, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was born into a large family at or near Charleston, SC, in 1739. He received his early education from his father, an Irish immigrant and physician, and from an Anglican minister and a tutor. After studying law at London's Middle Temple in 1760, he was admitted to English practice. But, almost at once, he sailed back to Charleston to begin a fruitful legal career and to amass a fortune in plantations and slaves. Three years later, he married Elizabeth Grimke, who eventually bore him 10 children, and moved into a townhouse, where he resided most of the remainder of his life. In 1761 Rutledge became politically active. That year, on behalf of Christ Church Parish, he was elected to the provincial assembly and held his seat until the War for Independence.

Daniel Carroll - was member of a prominent Maryland family of Irish descent. A collateral branch was led by Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Daniel's older brother was John Carroll, the first Roman Catholic bishop in the United States. Daniel was born in 1730 at Upper Marlboro, MD. Befitting the son of a wealthy Roman Catholic family, he studied for 6 years (1742-48) under the Jesuits at St. Omer's in Flanders.

More about the founding fathers can be found here. You will find that most of those in the continental congress were episcopalian or presbytarian. Hardly a group that had no regard for religion or the bible.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:09 pm
Re: parados
McGentrix wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

This is the kind of off hand remark that really irritates me.

It's not as though Jefferson and Franklin were the only founding fathers of our nation. In all, 55 delegates attended the Constitutional Convention sessions, but only 39 actually signed the Constitution. The delegates ranged in age from Jonathan Dayton, aged 26, to Benjamin Franklin, aged 81, who was so infirm that he had to be carried to sessions in a sedan chair.

Oliver Ellsworth - was born on April 29, 1745, in Windsor, CT, to Capt. David and Jemima Ellsworth. He entered Yale in 1762 but transferred to the College of New Jersey (later Princeton) at the end of his second year. He continued to study theology and received his A.B. degree after 2 years. Soon afterward, however, Ellsworth turned to the law. After 4 years of study, he was admitted to the bar in 1771.

William Samuel Johnson - was the son of Samuel Johnson, the first president of King's College (later Columbia College and University). William was born at Stratford, CT, in 1727. His father, who was a well-known Anglican clergyman-philosopher, prepared him for college and he graduated from Yale in 1744. About 3 years later he won a master of arts degree from the same institution and an honorary master's from Harvard. Resisting his father's wish that he become a minister, Johnson embraced law instead--largely by educating himself and without benefit of formal training.

Hugh Williamson - The versatile Williamson was born of Scotch-Irish descent at West Nottingham, PA., in 1735. He was the eldest son in a large family, whose head was a clothier. Hoping he would become a Presbyterian minister, his parents oriented his education toward that calling. After attending preparatory schools at New London Cross Roads, DE, and Newark, DE, he entered the first class of the College of Philadelphia (later part of the University of Pennsylvania) and took his degree in 1757. The next 2 years, at Shippensburg, PA, Williamson spent settling his father's estate. Then training in Connecticut for the ministry, he soon became a licensed Presbyterian preacher but was never ordained. Around this time, he also took a position as professor of mathematics at his alma mater.

John Rutledge - elder brother of Edward Rutledge, signer of the Declaration of Independence, was born into a large family at or near Charleston, SC, in 1739. He received his early education from his father, an Irish immigrant and physician, and from an Anglican minister and a tutor. After studying law at London's Middle Temple in 1760, he was admitted to English practice. But, almost at once, he sailed back to Charleston to begin a fruitful legal career and to amass a fortune in plantations and slaves. Three years later, he married Elizabeth Grimke, who eventually bore him 10 children, and moved into a townhouse, where he resided most of the remainder of his life. In 1761 Rutledge became politically active. That year, on behalf of Christ Church Parish, he was elected to the provincial assembly and held his seat until the War for Independence.

Daniel Carroll - was member of a prominent Maryland family of Irish descent. A collateral branch was led by Charles Carroll of Carrollton, signer of the Declaration of Independence. Daniel's older brother was John Carroll, the first Roman Catholic bishop in the United States. Daniel was born in 1730 at Upper Marlboro, MD. Befitting the son of a wealthy Roman Catholic family, he studied for 6 years (1742-48) under the Jesuits at St. Omer's in Flanders.

More about the founding fathers can be found here. You will find that most of those in the continental congress were episcopalian or presbytarian. Hardly a group that had no regard for religion or the bible.

McGentrix

Thanks for setting BBB stright. His knowledge of our history...
Cool
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:40 pm
Can I set you straight Finn?...BBB is a dame. And I agree...her post would be irritating to those that resist being straightened out...which is probably most people on the politics threads.
I believe parados was pointing out that the founding fathers had a helthy skepticism about the Bible superceding the Constitution. Of that there is no doubt.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:45 pm
McGintrix
CG wrote: "The US Constitution was created and carved in stone in 1776, when all of the Politician's were Christian, that gotten most of their education from the bible.

McGintrix, You can get as irritated as you usually want to at nearly all of my posts, but when someone makes such an erroneous statement "that all...." she deserves to be shown the error of her thinking.

Even her statement that "the constitution was carved in stone in 1776" is patently wrong. 1776 was the date of the declaration of independence. The constitution was not ratified until the ratification was completed on December 15, 1791.

Her statement that the "constitution was carved in stone" is also wrong in that it has been amended 27 times.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:49 pm
Re: McGintrix
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
CG wrote: "The US Constitution was created and carved in stone in 1776, when all of the Politician's were Christian, that gotten most of their education from the bible.

You can get as irritated as you usually want to, but when someone makes such an erroneous statement "that all...." she deserves to be shown the error or her thinking.

BBB

she deserves what she and her supporters have gotten..the current leadership and climate. They'll find out where it's leading soon enough. Little comfort but a fact.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:14 pm
Re: McGintrix
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
McGintrix, You can get as irritated as you usually want to at nearly all of my posts, but when someone makes such an erroneous statement "that all...." she deserves to be shown the error of her thinking.

BBB

What irritated me was the single sentence ad hominem that was hardly better that just sticking your tounge out and going "nyah! nyah!" You demonstrated nothing but your own ignorance by what you said.
0 Replies