The hypocracy of the democrats concerning Northam.

maporsche

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 02:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,

Aside from strongly worded reprimands to these guys in VA though, what can a presidential candidate in the Senate actually DO to make this happen? You say force the issue but how exactly?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 02:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The Democrat Party, with these Virginia scandals, has revealed the depth of its hypocrisy.

You can accuse individual Democrats of hypocrisy but indicting the entire Democratic Party is a stretch.
Quote:
If these things disqualify Republicans from holding office...

Wait — what Republican was disqualified from holding office because his 35 year old college yearbook page depicted a Klansman and someone in blackface?
maporsche wrote:
Anything illegal and especially anything causing physical or emotional harm that is illegal is a whole other matter.

Agreed.

Finn, if you're talking about Mr. Fairfax, he has yet to be given a hearing and he certainly hasn't been found guilty of anything.

When it comes to double standards I find it interesting that Republicans are quick to attack the credibility of a woman who accuses one their own of sexual improprieties but in this case the accusations against a Democrat are taken at face value.

Quote:
The only good thing about it is that whenever a Democrat gets on his or her high horse about such things we can all respond "Virginia!"

Good luck with that. I doubt such a response would have much impact. Party affiliation is way down, independents are on the rise, and people are more likely to vote for individual candidates than base their choice solely on party affiliation.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 08:33 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
vote for individual candidates

You are saying that the individual is more important than his/her ability to do the job or the policies they support? Will the color sex play a role, you bet. It is still identity politics and it has diminished the real purpose of elected offices forever.
hightor

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 08:45 pm
@coldjoint,
No, I'm saying that more and more voters are independents who choose the candidate they like best regardless of its party.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 10:36 am
Besides most of the democrat political leaders said he should resign, what do you do if he refuses to do it?

In any case I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt about it being him in the Blackface yearbook. Now not so much. He referred to slaves as indentured servants in a very recent interview.

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2019/2/10/1833708/-Virginia-Gov-Northam-refuses-to-resign-calls-slaves-indentured-servants-from-Africa-in-interview
hightor

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:03 am
@revelette1,
I don't see this as a disqualifying him from office, rev. He didn't press the matter or try to argue when King corrected him:
Quote:
“Yes. While we have made a lot of progress in Virginia — slavery has ended, schools have been desegregated, we have ended the Jim Crow laws, easier access to voting — it is abundantly clear that we still have a lot of work to do.

Again, I think his political actions are more important than adhering to some form of political correctness.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:09 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Again, I think his political actions are more important than adhering to some form of political correctness.

Looks like you are out of luck there . PC might as well be a religion the way people worship it. PC was devised to take down Western society. Maybe people will wake up and realize that before we are to far gone.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:32 am
@hightor,
We have a difference of opinion on this subject of so called "political correctness." I disagree with the term "political correctness" in general. It trivializes real racial slurs or beliefs in my opinion.

When Northman used the phrase "indentured servants" to my mind it reveals a lot about him. I agree it is subjective, nonetheless, if I lived in Virginia and he was up for re-election, I wouldn't vote for him. Right or wrong it reveals his character. Being a democrat of course he has to go along with racial progressive proposals or he wouldn't get very far as a democrat unless it is just local small time official positions. He seems a leftover southern old time democrat to me. In my area of the US we have a lot old time democrats, attending white supremacy meeting in the dark of the night.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 11:49 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
It trivializes real racial slurs or beliefs in my opinion.

No, it( PC ) exploits racial division by encouraging more of it. That way the root problem is never examined and it just gets worse. That is by design.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:00 pm
@revelette1,
"African indentured servant" is not a slur. It's not a racial epithet. It's mistaken terminology but it doesn't demean Africans, it only serves to point out the difference in the way poor whites and enslaved blacks were treated.

I don't care for the term "political correctness" either; nor do I like to see people criticized for the careless use of language. I know what he meant and it wasn't to denigrate the experience of African slaves. For instance, I won't use the now trendy term "people of color" to refer to non-whites. That doesn't mean I'm a racist, I just don't care for the verbal construction which seems forced and unnatural.

Did you get a chance to read the piece I linked on the page before?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/10/us/ralph-northam-childhood-race.html#commentsContainer
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:10 pm
@hightor,
I read somewhere that he was actually accurate with what he said, but it still shows how incredibly tone deaf he is.
hightor

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
As I said a while back, he's no Bill Clinton — he's not even an Al Gore. But I really don't see any indications of racist or illegal behavior.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:17 pm
@hightor,
No I haven't gotten a chance to read it. Not sure I will today, but I will in the near future.

Indentured servants to describe slaves is more than just a mistaken terminology. It trivializes the way African American ancestors became slaves for the south. (and other places) I mean, they were forcibly captured from the place they lived, taken in chains and made to come to the US in horrible conditions, sold to owners and made to live and work at their plantations with no will of their own, made to endure hardship and any amount of punishments and degradation at the hands of their slave owners. Anyone who can use the term indentured servant to refer to our slavery system of the past says a lot about that person in my own opinion.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:33 pm
@revelette1,
Indentured (white) servants were free once they'd worked off their passage and other debts, black slaves weren't.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:39 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Indentured (white) servants were free once they'd worked off their passage and other debts, black slaves weren't.

What are conditions for the grooming gangs girls? When are they released?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:47 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

What are conditions for the grooming gangs girls? When are they released?

This is a great example of you injecting yourself into a thread responding to a statement of fact with utter nonsense. I think everyone understands your personal slant that Sharia is coming very very soon, Europe and Canada are already slaves to Islam but very few people find your claims rational. It's possible you are right and everyone else is blind, but I doubt even you really believe the things you say.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:52 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
This is a great example of you injecting yourself into a thread responding to a statement of fact with utter nonsense.

No, it is an example of me calling out at best an enabler, but more likely just a self righteous coward. Anything else?

There are other forums if you don't like this one.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 12:55 pm
@coldjoint,
Thats not at all what you are doing, I'm shocked you would use such an excuse.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 01:00 pm
@glitterbag,
Why are you wasting your time on that sad little Nazi? He'll say anything just to get a response. The main difference is that people who sexually abused young girls over here were jailed. In America they get a job on the Supreme Court.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2019 01:11 pm
@izzythepush,
You're right, it's pointless.
0 Replies