The hypocracy of the democrats concerning Northam.

maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 03:35 pm
The next in line in Virginia is the attorney general, a Democrat. NOT a Republican.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/next-in-line-for-virginia-ag-mark-herring-will-be-governor-if-northam-and-fairfax-go
maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 03:39 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

The next in line in Virginia is the attorney general, a Democrat. NOT a Republican.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/next-in-line-for-virginia-ag-mark-herring-will-be-governor-if-northam-and-fairfax-go

Oh... I was mistaken. That's somewhat less amusing.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 04:45 pm
@maxdancona,
Spin it any you all want too. I still think the democratic tendency to drown anyone who sent a far left liberal is a weakness. What I am pointing out or trying to is the republicans gather behind all republicans no matter how crooked and get them elected to office. How have the so honest and Christian oreantated dems done in the last 20 years? A little more support among them wouldent hurt at least until the allegations are proved before the hanging.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 04:58 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I found this article interesting:
If nothing else, the article demonstrates that leftists are a threat to the children of America.

Slate wrote:
Similarly, a big-picture view of the Kavanaugh and Covington stories does not support the claim of an unfair "smear."
Democrats waited until the last second and tried to ruin the man's life with unproven and irrelevant allegations.

Slate wrote:
Video of the Covington students, meanwhile, showed that they had mockingly serenaded the Native American protester involved in the confrontation with a "Tomahawk Chop" chant/gesture.
The deranged Indian guy started doing a weird dance around them. The kids merely joined in with his goofy dance.

Slate wrote:
Kavanaugh and the teenagers were not railroaded on completely fabricated and slanderous charges,
The charges against the Catholic students are outright lies.

The charges against Kavanaugh are unproven and irrelevant at best.

Slate wrote:
but rather called to account for real or plausibly alleged misbehavior.
That leftists have the temerity to suggest that those kids did anything wrong is reason for society to begin transporting leftists to Guantanamo where they will be unable to harm any more children.

Slate wrote:
That every single thing alleged about them anywhere by anyone did not turn out to be true does not exonerate them, it doesn’t make them heroes,
The fact that the allegations are leftist fabrications exonerates them.

Slate wrote:
and it doesn’t mean that the real villain of the story is some larger social trend.
The villain of this story is the left. Leftists are a menace to children everywhere.

Slate wrote:
The difference between the reaction to Northam and the reactions to Kavanaugh and Covington is pretty easy to spot: Northam is a Democrat. Despite not every detail of his situation being locked down, we’re not hearing about this story as a smear job because, for reasons including identity, ideology, and coalition-building necessity, Democrats and pundits on the left aren’t looking for ways to worm out of confronting racist and sexist behavior. Northam’s peers in his party and his movement aren’t invested in proving that all such accusations are fraudulent, and centrist media figures haven’t been made self-conscious about criticizing people like him by years of bias accusations.
Leftist self immolation is pretty silly.

But it's a lot better than having these leftists savage more innocent children.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 05:10 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
No. An incident like this allows them to hoist the "Zero Tolerance!" banner, shields white liberals from any accusation of racism, and reinforces the coalition with non-white voters. It's a win for them.
Not much of a shield. Leftists can and will concoct untrue allegations against anyone at the drop of a hat.

The only real shield is to ignore these goofy leftists when they make their untrue allegations.

hightor wrote:
The lackluster and rather uninspiring Northam can be readily sacrificed.
Leftist justice in action....
coldjoint

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 05:12 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Leftist justice in action....

I think it is called "eating your own".
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 05:14 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
That isn't happening here because there is not a knee-jerk, must protect at all costs culture involved.
Protecting innocent people at all costs is a good thing.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 10:42 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

What if it turns out that, as he claims, he was neither of the people in the photo? I don't understand the rush to judgment and the absolute certainty of guilt expressed by those condemning the governor. Has anyone found anything in the guy's thirty years of medical practice and public service that would indicate that he's a racist?

Maybe it's because his immediate reaction was to apologize without even the slightest of indications that he was not one of the two young men in the photo, and then when he realized that his apology wasn't going to work in terms of calling off the dogs, concocted an absurd and bizarre tale about how after studying the photo for a good long while and consulting with those who were his friends at the time, he concluded that he wasn't in the photo after all. His story is absolutely incredible in the true sense of the word.

Of course even Northam isn't so stupid that he (or maybe his wife) didn't realize that the first thing people would ask is "Well if you didn't do anything wrong, why did you immediately apologize?" So he came up with his bizarre explanation: "One time I dabbed shoe polish on my face so I could imitate Michael Jackson in a dance contest...yeah that's it!"

So are we to believe that upon looking at a picture of a kid in Minstrel Show make-up and another in KKK robes, that Northam thought "Maybe that's a photo of me when I did my "Beat It" routine," and thought the best course of action was to apologize?

If you watched his "Wait A Minute, It Wasn't Me" press conference I'm not sure how you could not be struck dumb by the audacious idiocy of the man. At one point he was about to get up and moondance! Unfortunately, a barked command from his wife prevented us from being treated to a spectacle for the ages.

(Based only on speculation, I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that it was Mrs. Northam who a) Insisted he recant his admission and b) Dreamed up the Michael Jackson story. He certainly jerked sharply when she pulled on his leash. It may also have been her idea to get the sexual misconduct story about the Lt Governor out in the open, because that surely wasn't a coincidence)

The yearbook photo tells the story of a young man who, 30 years ago, was, at the very least, guilty of gross insensitivity and tasteless humor. His recanting on his admission tells the story of a dishonest, cynical man desperate to cling to power and willing to utterly embarrass himself to do so. His comments about ending the life of a newly born infant tell the story of a soulless sociopath.

So far, everything we know about Northam suggests he is not a racist or, at least, that since his college days he hasn't done or said anything to suggest he is, but then even if you believe Kavanaugh was guilty of sexually assaulting Blasey-Ford, there is no evidence to suggest he too didn't mend his ways. Good for the goose; good for the gander. I don't personally believe that the yearbook photo requires Northam to resign, but I would, for once, appreciate consistency among the absolutists who demand heads in payment of any transgression and who will argue that there isn't much of a distinction between the evil of racism and the evil or sexual predation. Northam was right to apologize, but of course, he had to make a farce out of that honorable gesture. For the "sin" of audacious blatant lying in the service of his lust for power and assuming that enough Virginians are stupid enough to fall for his BS a second time, he should be kicked out of office.

No matter on where you direct your focus, if he remains in the office he will be a shameful and embarrassing figure. He'll still have power enough to secure favors and feather his nest, but he'll be damaged goods. Karma has him facing a dilemma, appropriately based on race, after winning the office by virtue of a dishonest and dishonorable smear campaign against Ed Gillespie, cynically based on race. However, enough fools believed his lies about his opponent and voted him in. They elected him and they should decide if he goes or stays. I'm sure that this time around they will carefully examine all of the facts and not succumb to attempts to manipulate their emotions. Rolling Eyes

The Democrat Party simply want to be rid of an embarrassment that might stymie the efforts of the VA Dems to take back the legislature during the next elections, and the MSM want to a) Call for blood, b) Signal their Virtue, and c) Carry water for the Dems. Northam was never anything like a rising star in the Party and the Lt. Governor Fairfax could be.

Republicans should keep their traps shut and let Northam and his former supporters duke it out in public. Of course, it will help if conservative pundits every now and then ask "What's happening with Coonman Northam?" (He could come up with a ridiculous story to explain his initial apology but he couldn't come up with an explanation for "Coonman?" You can bet your life that if he was a Republican, WaPo would be publishing a request for information from anyone who went to school with Northam and might know why he got this nickname)

BTW, WaPo acknowledged that they had previously known about the sexual misconduct charges against Fairfax, but as they couldn't corroborate the story they didn't run it. Sounds fair. After all, it's the same standard they applied to the charges against Kavanaugh...uh, wait a minute...

Too many Dem Party progressives are all-in on the notion that one offense committed by a Republican; during any period in their lives, is grounds for disqualification, to let Northam off the hook and not be branded as Hypocrites the next time they want to use the weapon on a conservative. Or at least it seems they may be thinking as much.

In reality, they can (and may yet) back off and allow him to serve out his term without suffering much harm. They certainly won't be called to task by the MSM. MSNBC and CNN pundits have been calling for Northam's head, but if given the word that their Masters want to cut him some slack they will and the story will be changed to how the whole incident was a dirty trick in retaliation for Northam's defending the right of a woman (with the advice of her doctor!) to consent to infanticide. The focus will shift to the GOP's War on Women and then will be allowed to fade and die. One of the main reasons they might have for calling off the dogs is to preserve Fairfax's career. If Northam's scandal doesn't go away, neither will that of Fairfax.

Right now presidential candidates like Harris and Booker think their base want them to punish Northam and when the mob wants blood they ask to swing the ax, but under the right circumstances they, as well as the mob, can be herded in the correct direction.

I'm not making predictions on this. It's too weird. However, given the right odds, I wouldn't hesitate to bet that Northam will serve out his entire term.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 11:40 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

maxdancona wrote:

I think your article is bogus in two ways.

Not my article, but one I found interesting and I think you missed the point of it. Democrats are not attacking the reporting. With those other two incidents, there was a smear campaign against those bringing forth the allegations, against the reporters and against the media in general. (That is why they were lumped together.) That isn't happening here because there is not a knee-jerk, must protect at all costs culture involved.

But the narrative about the charges leveled against Fairfax is that it is a "smear campaign." The difference isn't that Northam is a Democrat and Fairfax is a...Democrat.

The difference might be that liberals take charges of racism more seriously than those of sexual misconduct, but if this is the case it's probably because there are a whole lot fewer charges of racism than sexual misconduct leveled against Democrats and liberals.

The author of the article clearly implies that the Kavanaugh and Covington "reporting" was hyperbolically and even falsely described as "smear campaigns" because Republicans and conservatives are uniquely vulnerable to the reporting of their misdeeds while Democrats are not. Leave it to a leftwing opinion writer to look for a way to twist a tale of the misdeeds of a Democrat governor back on Republicans and conservatives.

The recent "MeToo movement has, thus far, shone its bright and scathing light on far more Democrat/Liberals than Republican/Conservatives. This isn't because the latter are inherently of firmer moral fiber than the latter, but because the latter have for so long believed that they were insulated from scrutiny by the media because of the public positions they espoused. I would expect the unbalance to eventually level off if #MeToo remains relatively blind to political affiliation.

It would appear though that while #MeToo hasn't been turned back by the liberal Entertainment industry it may have rapidly lost steam when it comes to liberal Political entities. It's hard to explain how Keith Ellison was able to skate in the face of charges that were a lot more substantial than those levied against Brett Kavanaugh. His party gave him a pass, but so too did the liberal media. Does being a black, Muslim, figure of power in the Democrat party really provide such effective armor? If he was an entertainment figure, would the Entertainment Media put him under greater scrutiny?

Northam is of no real consequence or import to the Democrat Party. He's hardly a star destined for bigger and better things. He's term limited and can't run for governor again. And most importantly it was intially realized that if he was sent packing, the Lt Gov. Fairfax would take his place and Fairfax and young, charismatic (at least compared to Northam) black man has (or had) a real future in the Party. Why make a stink about charges against Norham? He's loose change to the Party AND his initial response was to apologize and, by all indications, admit his guilt. Crying "Smear Campaign" would have been appropriate.

Wait and see. Now that Fairfax has his own problems that will only be highlighted if there is a protracted conflict between the Party and MSM on one side and Northam and his few supporters on the other, the Party may come to the conclusion that it would be best for all involved if Northam was allowed to serve out the remainder of his term. If it does, you can bet that the story will shift to this all being part of a "smear campaign"

BTW, comparing the Norham affair to that of Kavanaugh and the Covington kids is ridiculous. Whether or not anyone thinks they should have, at no time did the latter ever admit to and apologize for the "crimes" of which they were accused.

The story of the Covington kids is there for all to see on a lengthy video that was, initially, edited to a snippet that made them look as bad as possible. Without attempting to discover the full picture and relying solely on the account of a proven liar and political provocateur, the MSM and progressives across the nation not only assumed the absolute worst about the kids but treated them as vile scum with some calling for violent punishment. When the truth came out, the hotheads with a modicum of honor apologized, but far too many doubled down and continued their assaults. If that isn't a smear campaign, I don't know what is.

Whatever anyone Kavanaugh's yearbooks may have revealed about him, none of them contained the glaring evidence of his alleged crime. With Kavanaugh, we were presented with totally uncorroborated accusations which he was somehow supposed to disprove. The initial accusation was followed by increasingly salacious and incredible charges. All of these accusations were revealed and reported as thoroughly as tissue thin stories can be with the intent of derailing the Kavanaugh nomination. If that isn't a smear campaign, I don't know what is.

There are reasons why the left isn't currently screaming about a "smear campaign" with Norham, but it has nothing to do with the lack of a guilty conscious. Every charge leveled against Hillary Clinton was met with claims of "dirty tricks," and "smear campaigns."

I don't know which is worse, that the author is cynical enough to attempt to twist this story into an attack against Republicans and a defense of Democrats or that he might actually believe it to be so.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 11:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

maporsche wrote:

Oh... I was mistaken. That's somewhat less amusing.

Ha Ha! It is still amusing....

Mark Herring just admitted to going to a party in black face in the 1980's. Who is next in line after Mark Herring?

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 12:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm largely in agreement with what you've said here.

Regarding Justice Kavanaugh — I'm only speaking for myself here. Had he admitted the attempted assault, or had it been proven but he was unable to recall the incident (alcohol can have that effect), that would not require him to withdraw. I'd accept an explanation and an apology because there was no indication that this behavior continued into his adulthood. Embarrassing and/or stupid behavior by adolescents and young adults should (barring the most egregious sorts of cases) not be the sole reason for disqualifying a candidate for public office. The media and the opposition certainly have the right to dig up whatever they can find but I think we need to resist the "Gotcha!" culture and allow that people can grow, evolve, and change. In the case of Kavanaugh, knowing about the culture he grew up in informs us and provides some background and it also makes him more likely to seek to avoid decisions which might appear sullied by attitudes he held in his youth.

As far as "Coonman" goes, well again, I'm only speaking for myself here. I'm thinking that often people don't get the chance to choose their nicknames. I had a family nickname but when I got into high school I was given the moniker "Brillohead" by the hoodlums who rode in the back of the bus. While there was a racist aspect to this name, it was also picked up by my friends. (Happily it faded after my freshman year.) But I could see a situation where Northam does a great Michael Jackson interpretation and people in his school anoint him with the nickname, even going so far as to put it in his yearbook along with the picture of the two disguised figures. It's possible that Northam let the name stick because strenuously objecting to it would indicate weakness. That's how I dealt with the situation.

Northam doesn't appear to be one of those born politicians like Bill Clinton; I'm more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he's the opposite of slick.
maporsche

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 09:15 am
This isn’t exactly a difficult scenario.

Northam could stay on and Fairfax could resign.
Northam then appoints a new Lt. Governer.
Northam then resigns.

Or Northam won’t resign. While I think he should, he certainly doesn’t have to.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 10:26 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Had he admitted the attempted assault, or had it been proven but he was unable to recall the incident (alcohol can have that effect), that would not require him to withdraw.

When did he admit that? And when did anyone prove memory loss due to alcohol on Kavanaugh's part? What did you watch to believe that?
hightor

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 11:44 am
@coldjoint,
You're missing the point — as usual. You need to be able to recognize the subjunctive mood . The "if clauses" should alert you to its use.

What I said is that if he had admitted the attempted assault or had it been proven but he claimed no memory of the incident (which occasionally happens with alcohol) I don't feel that would disqualify him from taking the seat because, as far as I know, he hasn't continued the behavior or suggested that such behavior was acceptable.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 11:54 am
@hightor,
Quote:
You're missing the point

Maybe you are missing what the MSM did to Kavanaugh and that your take on it does not matter when the double standards are so obvious.

Quote:
subjunctive mood

I see that as an apology for what the MSM has done and continues to do.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 12:21 pm
Quote:
The Virginia Democrats’ Minstrel Show

Kind of says it all.
http://www.conservativehq.com/article/29638-virginia-democrats%E2%80%99-minstrel-show
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 12:25 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Maybe you are missing what the MSM did to Kavanaugh and that your take on it does not matter when the double standards are so obvious.

I can't help what's covered by the press or how it's covered. Maybe you are missing what the ****-Stream Media did to Dr. Blasey-Ford. Our country has become, unfortunately, a "tabloid society". Sin sells.
Quote:
I see that as an apology for what the MSM has done and continues to do.

The MSM and the SSM might owe the public an apology but I doubt you'll see them using the subjunctive.

Look, I'm not arguing the merits of contemporary news media organizations. My point is that the exposure of youthful mistakes shouldn't automatically disqualify someone from holding a public office.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 12:28 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Look, I'm not arguing the merits of contemporary news media organizations. My point is that the exposure of youthful mistakes shouldn't automatically disqualify someone from holding a public office.

Did you say that when Kavanaugh was accused?
hightor

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 12:50 pm
@coldjoint,
It was all hypothetical because the testimony alone didn't prove that the incident had occurred and Kavanaugh strenuously denied that it had. I think I have a post somewhere in the Trump thread where I said that if he admitted it and seemed genuinely contrite he shouldn't be disqualified. What I found particularly troubling was his scowling demeanor — "I LIKE BEER" — and the veiled threats. That all took place after Blasey-Ford's testimony, and that's when I got a more negative impression of him. He himself apologized for his some of his behavior during the hearing.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 01:00 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Our country has become, unfortunately, a "tabloid society". Sin sells.

You sound like you're buying into right wing propaganda. It wasn't just the gutter press looking into saucy peccadillos like what Prince Harry got up to in Vegas.

There were, and remain, serious questions about Kavanagh's conduct and the alleged sexual assaults should have been investigated. They weren't, there was a whitewash a half hearted investigation that was rushed through.

It's reasonable to assume these allegations have foundation and the true scandal is that they were not investigated properly. The other scandal is how vast swathes of the main stream media are painting this sexual predator as a victim and attacking those few stations that dared to report the facts.

Fox makes up a great chunk of the main stream media, and far from attacking Kavanagh the MSM actively promoted his lies and attacked the victims.

Stop buying Coldjoint's lies about the MSM, it's the thin end of the wedge, once you start accepting the little lies then the bigger ones are easier to swallow. Lying about everything is a tried and tested technique used by the far right since Goebbels, and neo Nazis like Coldjoint are lying because the truth gets in the way of their agenda.

The truth is that Kavanagh's narrative was the prevailing one on MSM. The allegations against him were not adequately investigated, and what brief testimony there was showed him to be a totally unpleasant person even if the allegations weren't true, which is unlikely. He's an arrogant bully with no respect for anyone he feels is beneath him, and like all bullies he's a spineless creep, blubbing like a five year old because he can't deal with the consequences of his actions.

He is not a victim, never was.