The hypocracy of the democrats concerning Northam.

maporsche

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 10:30 pm
@RABEL222,
In Virginia governors only serve one single term. There isn’t any reelecting them.

In reality they probably only need to weather the storm for a couple weeks. Less if Trump tweets something stupid.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2019 11:24 pm
Mark Shields and David Brooks discuss the Virginia turmoil.

hightor

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 08:47 am
Why Ralph Northam Should Not Resign

Should we judge people only by their most shameful moments?

Quote:
It’s probably for the best that Ralph Northam seems determined not to resign as governor of Virginia. He may have done something ugly and dumb many years ago, when he was a young man and prevailing notions of socially permissible behavior were uglier and dumber than they are today. In the face of a political and reputational disaster he has stumbled badly in explaining himself. If he weathers the scandal, it will mainly be because all of his potential successors have grave compromises of their own.

In the 35 years between those two points he has, by all appearances, lived an upstanding life without a hint of racial bias. If we are going to embrace a politics where that’s not enough to save a sitting governor accused of no crime, we’re headed toward a dark place.

I write this as someone who isn’t a Democrat and doesn’t share many of Northam’s views. Nor do I think he covered himself in glory when he accused his Republican opponent, Ed Gillespie, of “racist rhetoric” during the 2017 gubernatorial race, while an advocacy group allied to his campaign ran an ad that made out Gillespie supporters to be homicidal bigots intent on harming minority kids. What goes around comes around, and the temptation for schadenfreude is great.

Then again, each of us might want to perform an internal audit before we join the cast-the-first-stone coalition.

Ever told — or laughed at — a bigoted joke? I have, and I cringe today at what I once found funny. Ever used one of the more common ethnic or sexist slurs — “gypped,” for instance, or “bitch” — or dropped the f-word as it commonly refers to gay people? I’ve been guilty of this too, to my shame. Have ugly generalizations or snap judgments based on ethnic stereotypes perambulated through your mind, even if they didn’t fall out of your mouth? Guilty again.

I admit to all of this not as a form of moral — or immoral — exhibitionism, but because I think it’s true of the overwhelming majority of people irrespective of their race or gender. (If you don’t agree, audit yourself twice.) Few of us are proud of these lapses. Many of us are trying to be considerably more mindful about them. But most of us don’t rip ourselves to pieces over them, either.

That’s because we believe that our worst moments and dumbest utterances shouldn’t define us. That our youthful behavior is more of a reflection of what is around us than a representation of what’s inside. That we deserve to be judged by the decency of our intentions and the totality of our deeds. That we are entitled to a presumption of innocence, a measure of forgiveness, a sense for our times, and multiple opportunities for redemption.

We also believe in some version of what in Europe is called the right to be forgotten, based on a 2014 legal ruling against Google that your past sins, if they are no longer relevant to your present, shouldn’t haunt you forever — at least not digitally. That right doesn’t exist in the United States, and it wouldn’t apply anyway to a public figure such as Northam.

But how about a corollary to the right: A reasonable expectation of receding relevance, at least for non-criminal acts?

Should Jesse Jackson’s entire life come down to the anti-Semitic words “Hymietown,” uttered by him in 1984 (and comically immortalized by Eddie Murphy)? Should Prince Harry forever be remembered as the royal who dressed as a Nazi? What about Joy Reid’s virulently homophobic blog posts, or Joe Biden’s racially condescending description of Barack Obama as “the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean”?

The list goes on. It will get considerably longer as more people continue to commit their dumbest thoughts to Twitter and their most embarrassing selfies to Instagram.

Maybe at some point the sheer abundance of embarrassing material will render us insensible to what’s truly unforgivable in the past behavior of public figures. Or maybe we’ll just stumble along, calling for someone’s head merely because we happened upon his frozen image at his worst and immediately forgot the rest of his life. For those not thus caught, it won’t be because they are innocent, but because they are lucky.

As I said, this is taking us to a dark place. It is hard enough for ordinary, decent people, aware of their shortcomings and capable of shame, to contemplate a career in politics; why would they ever do so if the statute of limitations on past indiscretions never expires? And if they won’t run, aren’t they just ceding the field to those with no shame?

Ralph Northam needs to clear up just who’s in that photo, so Virginians won’t think he’s lying. And he has an opportunity to speak powerfully about the legacy of a casual racism that tainted his generation of Virginians, and about the need for repentance and redemption. The best way for him to do so is as governor.

nyt
coldjoint

Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 01:25 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
Mark Shields and David Brooks discuss the Virginia turmoil.

The Muppets gave those guys the day off, huh?
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 11:18 am
I haven't kept up with the latest on the story of the Blackface concerning Northman. If it has been proven he is the man in the blackface, he should have admitted it and expressed remorse. I don't know if either of those events have taken place yet. I hope someone can enlighten me.

There is another story similar to the Northman scandal that I just read about and it speaks to something I feel coming out of this issue, remorse and a conversation about redemption from truly remorseful people who may have committed racist comments or acts in the past or even not too distance past.

Quote:
‘It was great he was ashamed:’ Trevor Noah on Liam Neeson and the missed conversation about racism

Actor Liam Neeson’s admission of a racist pursuit of revenge moved at the speed of social media, rocketing from an offhand comment to condemnation and a canceled red carpet premiere amid the fallout.

That left Neeson grappling with an invisible behemoth of digital rage, leaving few lessons about the value of confronting and admitting racist beliefs, “The Daily Show” host Trevor Noah said in a video released Friday.
Neeson, star of the “Taken” movies, said in a recent interview that about 40 years ago he was overtaken by rage after a close friend told him she had been raped, prompting him to roam the streets, hoping to get into a confrontation with a “black bastard” so he could bludgeon him. In follow-up interviews, the actor said he regretted that response and sought help.

Noah, a biracial comedian raised in apartheid-era South Africa, was exasperated: first over the comments themselves, then at the fury and condemnation that filled a space where honest reckoning could have been.

“You think you get past the age of lynching, then there’s still blackface in 2019,” Noah said in an extended sequence between televised scenes later published online, appearing to reference the racist yearbook photo scandal embroiling Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D).

But consider the time and place of those comments, Noah explained. It was during a promotion for the revenge film “Cold Pursuit” — hardly a place for a nuanced discussion over deeply rooted racist beliefs and how society may confront them.

“I think if Liam Neeson had told that story on Oprah, and then there was a conversation,” Noah said, “we would have seen it as a person admitting to a time in their life when they allowed their anger and hatred to fester into racism that they were ashamed of.”

Neeson appeared on “Good Morning America” to blunt the negative reaction of his comments and his eventual regret that he ventured into black neighborhoods a number of times ready to use violence to exact revenge on an unsuspecting black man.

“And I did it for, I’d say, maybe four or five times until I caught myself on, and it really shocked me, this primal urge I had. It shocked me, and it hurt me. I did seek help,” he said.

Neeson’s representative did not return a request for comment. It is not clear where Neeson’s failed vigilante mission occurred.

Those acknowledgments were an overlooked aspect of Neeson’s “powerful admission,” Noah explained.

“I hope he and people who hear the story understand the gravity of the situation. If you’re not careful, you can have inside of you a hatred that is encouraged or grown by the society that you live in,” he said. “I think it was cool that he said he looked for help afterward, I think it was cool no one busted him; he volunteered the information. I think it was great he was ashamed.”

The red carpet premiere of “Cold Pursuit” was canceled after Neeson’s comments were made, followed by a cancellation of a scheduled appearance on “The Late Show” with Stephen Colbert. Neeson on “Good Morning America” emphatically said he was not racist.

But that misses an important aspect of admission: That it accounts for fear of how it may tarnish one’s character and subverts the significance of the claims themselves.

“People are afraid to admit they had a racist thought because then society says ‘You’re racist forever, and that’s it,’ " Noah said, “so there’s no value in atoning.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/02/09/it-was-great-he-was-ashamed-trevor-noah-liam-neeson-missed-conversation-about-racism/?utm_term=.6351db417dd1&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
RABEL222

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 11:32 am
Does anyone remember Al Jolson. I guess if he were still alive we would hang him from the nearest telephone pole.
hightor

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 11:40 am
@RABEL222,
Where's he buried? We can desecrate his grave!
hightor

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 11:47 am
@revelette1,
That's a really good article. It's amazing how few people apparently have the maturity to deal with these cultural embarrassments. As Bret Stephens says in the opinion piece above:
Quote:
As I said, this is taking us to a dark place. It is hard enough for ordinary, decent people, aware of their shortcomings and capable of shame, to contemplate a career in politics; why would they ever do so if the statute of limitations on past indiscretions never expires? And if they won’t run, aren’t they just ceding the field to those with no shame?

As to your inquiries, as far as I know, Northam still denies he's one of the people in the yearbook photo.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 11:56 am
@hightor,
Quote:
It's amazing how few people apparently have the maturity to deal with these cultural embarrassments.

It is amazing we let he MSM tell us what cultural embarrassments are in the first place. When are people going to start thinking for themselves again? It is clear many here have no interest in taking on that responsibility anytime soon. Shocked
hightor

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 12:14 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
It is amazing we let he MSM tell us what cultural embarrassments are in the first place.

No, we don't "let" the media tell us what cultural embarrassments are. If you were given a copy of an old photo with someone in blackface and some hooded figures and told that one of the people was the sitting governor of a state I think you'd realize right away that the guy had a problem on his hands. You wouldn't need the media to tell you that. And, so quick to dismiss other viewpoints, you totally missed the point of revelette's post.

Quote:
When are people going to start thinking for themselves again?

Maybe you should start thinking for yourself instead of just parroting SSM (**** Stream Media) talking points. Can you even explain why you object to the article and why you believe it's "telling us" what to think?
coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 12:19 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Maybe you should start thinking for yourself

I do already. I know, on my own, what I consider anti-American. If I agree with someone does not mean I did not arrive at my decision by myself.
hightor

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 12:39 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
If I agree with someone does not mean I did not arrive at my decision by myself.

Oh, I see. But anyone who disagrees with you couldn't possibly have come to that conclusion on their own.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 12:45 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
But anyone who disagrees with you couldn't possibly have come to that conclusion on their own.

Considering the average person would never know anything about WH gossip except what they read by totally biased reporters, yes.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 02:01 pm
@hightor,
He shouldn't resign simply because of the photo, and if he was a Republican, I would be saying the same thing.

However, Democrats have created the standard around blackface and they would never give up trying to oust a Republican who did the same as Northam. If they give in on Northam, they give in on blackface. Of course, they won't see it as so and when an incident of GOP blackface arises they will go full bore and tell us how it's different than the Northam case.

This is why these matters can't be argued sensibly. There are no rules other than the most important: "We must have power!"

Fairfax is a whole other story. He deserves due process, but if the allegations are found to be true he must go. I don't know how given the Kavanaugh affair how any Democrat can have any position other than he must resign.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 02:03 pm
@hightor,
But...he admits he partook in "mild" blackface

Give me a break!
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 02:20 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Where's he buried? We can desecrate his grave!

Keep your eyes open for a statue you can tear down.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 02:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I have to admit to not knowing that blackface was offensive until probably 15 years ago. I've never done it, but I wouldn't have thought dressing up as Michael Jackson and putting blackface on would have been insulting until then. I would have been 24 at 15 years ago and still in college. So fresh and immature then. This demonstrates the ignorance and yes, privileged, that I was allowed to grow up in. Where I didn't have to learn about racism or even racial insensitivity unless I wanted to.

This Northam changing story bullshit is just bullshit; the fact that he thought he could have been the guy in the KKK costume is wrong. Even 15 years ago I'd have known that was wrong.

I don't know what the best thing for society is in the future. On one hand there is the argument that mistakes in ones past, as long as they didn't harm anyone, shouldn't disqualify people from a successful career. This may become more of a problem since the age of camera phones.

The other side, especially for politicians who need the consent of the governed, is that once those indiscretions are public that consent can be lost.

Anything illegal and especially anything causing physical or emotional harm that is illegal is a whole other matter. I'm merely talking about possibly offensive, yet legal, thoughts/images/etc.

This Virginia mess is a just a mess. The state's governance could go from an elected democratic agenda to a republican one because of a coin flip in one district.
jcboy

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 04:12 pm
One of the differences between Democrats and Republicans in Virginia? We call for the resignation of racists, not embrace them.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 04:38 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
We call for the resignation of racists,

You still suck in Virginia, and people will forget the people, but not he party. Kiss 2020 goodbye.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Feb, 2019 06:22 pm
https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/52024068_2079690795444454_4222311155319701504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.xx&oh=d4f5fd1c0176b7d84e313c1d853789e5&oe=5CDD296E
0 Replies