Minuteman organizer James Gilchrist defends white racists

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:52 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Oh, and by the way, they aren't immigrants. Just illegals. They have no intention of ever becoming citizens. That may have been the case at one time, but not any longer. They're just varmints.

Vermin is the word you're looking for I think, and last time people started calling groups of other people "vermin" it ended rather badly.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:15 pm
Baldimo wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
When you have someone holding someone against their will with the use or the threat of the use of force, you've crossed the line between a citizen's arrest and unlawful detention.

So entering our country without permission is ok as long as someone isn't trying to stop you?

That doesn't make sense. It's an offence of and by itself. The fact that federal law allows only for an arrest by certain authorised persons doesn't nullify the offence.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
An `arrestable' offence is one for which there is a general right to arrest without warrant. Most other offences require the arrestor to obtain a warrant of arrest from a magistrate. However, a number of statutes grant powers to the police to arrest without warrant in specific circumstances.
So what is an arrestable offence? Essentially it is offence for which an adult could - at least in principle - be sentenced to at least five years' imprisonment. This includes homicides, serious and indecent assaults, rape, criminal damage, arson, and most theft-related offences.

Before you start saying what a citizens arrest is,I suggest you read this...
http://www.constitution.org/grossack/arrest.htm

You will get a very good definition of what citizens arrest is,and you will see that the minutemen DO have the power to make a citizens arrest,as do you.

Then there is this link...
http://www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/citarr.htm

This is the CA law about a citizens arrest.
So,after reading these links,you will see that the minutemen ARE within their rights.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:41 pm
dyslexia wrote:
illegal border crossing is a federal offense, requiring a federal officer, a citizen without a warrant would be liable for illegal detention and the detainee would have the legal right to resist with reasonable force.

WRONG!!!
Read the links I posted.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:58 pm
Through world history, populations have moved, for whatever reasons. They will continue to move even in the face of vigilante fundamentalist jingoism.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:05 pm
According to the legal definition,these people are NOT vigilantes.
They are not taking the law into their own hands.They are spotting and calling the authorities.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:25 pm
mysteryman wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
illegal border crossing is a federal offense, requiring a federal officer, a citizen without a warrant would be liable for illegal detention and the detainee would have the legal right to resist with reasonable force.

WRONG!!!
Read the links I posted.

No, dyslexia isn't wrong. You are. The links you posted refer to the ability of a state to create a law which defines and authorises "citizen's arrest". Now there is an argument that says that even without a statutory definition there is a residual right of a citizen to arrest another pursuant to common law. In my jurisdiction there is a right for anyone to arrest to prevent a breach of the peace. I might add that "breach of the peace" in England and Wales and in Australian jurisdictions isn't statutorily defined as it is in jurisdictions in the US an it encompasses several concepts but primarily it involves where harm is about to befall another. So in a pub where A is about to pummell B, C may intervene and arrest A and prevent the assault. There's more to it than that but I'll leave it there.

Now, common law provisions can be removed by statute. It seems to me that if that is the case in the US as it is in other common law jurisdictions, then your argument has failed. US federal law, as dylexia has pointed out, specifically limits the arrest of an alleged illegal immigrant to certain authorised officers. So the concept of "citizen's arrest" of an illegal immigrant doesn't exist.

Arizona allows for citizen's arrest:

13-3884. Arrest by private person

A private person may make an arrest:

1. When the person to be arrested has in his presence committed a misdemeanor amounting to a breach of the peace, or a felony.

2. When a felony has been in fact committed and he has reasonable ground to believe that the person to be arrested has committed it.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
There's a river of bleeding heart in this thread.

Better that than a river of blood from a Mexican family shot at by these white supremist redneck idiots...

I hear they're still recruiting, cjhsa, and it sure looks like you're gung ho to join up. One less redneck in Silicon Valley could be a very good thing...
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:15 pm
goodfielder wrote:

1. When the person to be arrested has in his presence committed a misdemeanor amounting to a breach of the peace, or a felony.

2. When a felony has been in fact committed and he has reasonable ground to believe that the person to be arrested has committed it.

I would say passing the US border illegally is a felony. And from what you have posted, a felony is an arrestable offense.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:16 pm
mysteryman wrote:
According to the legal definition,these people are NOT vigilantes.
They are not taking the law into their own hands.They are spotting and calling the authorities.

What legal definition? The one in your warped head?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:18 pm
Quote:
I would say passing the US border illegally is a felony. And from what you have posted, a felony is an arrestable offense.

But of course you would. Afterall, you neocons feel that lying about a BJ is an impeachable offense, so that kind of fascist rationale certainly makes sense coming from you, Baldimo...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:21 pm
Baldimo wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

Good point, I'll have a look. I suspect thought that Az law can only define a felony within its own jurisdiction and authorise arrest for a felony as defined within its jurisdiction but I will check that out.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:21 pm
Wow, someone from San Francisco calling someone "warped". That's gotta be a first.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:24 pm
I don't mind being called a redneck at all.

http://www.delafont.com/comedians/Comedian_Images/l-cableguy1.jpg

Larry says "Git R Done Boys". The Minutemen rock.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:24 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

But of course you would. Afterall, you neocons feel that lying about a BJ is an impeachable offense, so that kind of fascist rationale certainly makes sense coming from you, Baldimo...

I'm a fascist because I see people crossing the borders of the US as illegal? I don't know about you buddy but being in this country illegally is against the law. Please state how me wanting the current laws enforced is fascist?

You throw that word around like you don't even know what it is. Once again I must point out how you always complain about the name-calling but are one of the chief offenders.

I'm going to guess you are an anarchist. You were one of those handkerchief-toting punks that broke into private people's business during the creep riots of the G-8 summit. Why you would break up a private business to protest the world bank is beyond me. I guess you don't like the fact that anyone makes money that isn't handed out by the govt.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:26 pm
Baldimo wrote:

I'm going to guess you are an anarchist. You were one of those handkerchief-toting punks that broke into private people's business during the creep riots of the G-8 summit. Why you would break up a private business to protest the world bank is beyond me. I guess you don't like the fact that anyone makes money that isn't handed out by the govt.

I called Dooks and his alter ego Anon (who I haven't seen in awhile) on this long ago. I'm glad to see you agree with me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:29 pm
actually, as far as I know, I am the only anarchist posting on a2k.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:40 pm
Keep guessing, Baldimo.

This is in the context of having these armed white supremists being told that they can apprehend these poor migrant families on a FELONY, when in reality, it is the U.S. GOVERNMENT and the prescribed BORDER PATROLS who are empowered to perform such tasks.

I know exactly what the word fascism means, Baldimo. The 14 points of fascism seem to align quite nicely with this administration. But when you pull such accusations about me writing an expose on a2k out of your a$$, how can we possibly take YOU seriously?

I am also NOT an anarchist. I was no where NEAR the G-8 summit, nor did I break up a private business to protest the world bank. I am also NOT an author writing an espose on a2k. I appreciate the TRUTH when it comes to our politicians and our leaders. You seem to not care whatsoever, based on your wild generalizations...

And I find that so very sad...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:42 pm
No it looks like the offence is actually a misdemeanour

Entering the United States without inspection is a misdemeanor criminal offense, but the offense is completed once an individual has entered the country.

Link here http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/arrestdet/ad070.htm

That being so then it seems there is no citizen's arrest under Az law. Anyway I think that given the fact that legislation has been enacted to allow local law enforcement officers the authority to act under the applicable federal law controlling immigration that there is no citizen's arrest right at all.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:43 pm
No it looks like the offence is actually a misdemeanour

Entering the United States without inspection is a misdemeanor criminal offense, but the offense is completed once an individual has entered the country.

Link here http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/arrestdet/ad070.htm

That being so then it seems there is no citizen's arrest under Az law. Anyway I think that given the fact that legislation has been enacted to allow local law enforcement officers the authority to act under the applicable federal law controlling immigration that there is no citizen's arrest right at all.
0 Replies