Minuteman organizer James Gilchrist defends white racists

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:24 pm
http://mediamatters.org/items/200504060003

Reacting to Fox News host Alan Colmes's reference to news reports that white supremacists may have joined the Minuteman Project's efforts to prevent illegal immigrants from entering the United States via the Mexican border, Minuteman organizer James Gilchrist condemned supremacists but contended that "there are supremacist groups out there of all races, colors and creeds" and accused Colmes of "picking on" the white supremacists. Gilchrist has acknowledged that "white supremacists want us to wage a full battle at the border," but has denied that he is a racist: "Some people have said I'm racist, and that's just not true. ... My son-in-law is a full-on Mexican, and my grandson is half-Mexican."

From the April 5 edition of Fox News' Hannity & Colmes:

COLMES: Recently, the white supremacy group Aryan Nation has recruited for the Minuteman Project, promoting the protest as a white pride event. This is who you're participating with here.

GILCHRIST: I have -- Alan, I have no control over someone posting an e-mail. I know what you're talking about. I've been to that Stormfront website. I have put a warning on our website -- you are not welcome here if you're a member of any supremacist group, whether it be of any color, race or creed.

Alan, there are supremacist groups out there of all races, colors and creeds. It's not just white supremacists. Why are you picking on them? There are brown. There are purple. There are red.

http://mediamatters.org/static/video/hannity-200504060003.wmv

Posted to the web on Wednesday April 6, 2005 at 12:31 PM EST
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,574 • Replies: 113
No top replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:51 pm
Dookiestix

Your caption is shall we say slightly misleading. I see nothing in what Gilcrhrist said that in any way defends white supremacists.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:56 pm
Your thread title is misleading. No, let me rephrase that. Your title is a manipulative attempt to paint someone as having said something he did not say. But that is par for the course for you Dook.

Regardless of what one thinks of the "minutemen", their organizer is not defending white racists. Of course you will argue differently since you have already decided in your extreme wisdom that he is simply because his politics differ from yours. So I guess I have probably wasted my time even responding.

But is was fun to do so anyway. Very Happy
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:58 pm
Then why is he complaining to Colmes for picking on "white" supremacists only?

Bottom line here; this man has NO problem having trigger happy white supremacists eyeing Mexicans and their families as they attempt to cross the border.

How do we resolve this? How about putting in enough money for Homeland Security so that they can adequately fund border patrols?

Probably because it costs the state nothing to just allow these white supremists to do the job instead...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:00 pm
Meh, I don't think the guy is a racist himself, or defends them; but I doubt he turns them away when they show up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:06 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Your thread title is misleading. No, let me rephrase that. Your title is a manipulative attempt to paint someone as having said something he did not say. But that is par for the course for you Dook.

Regardless of what one thinks of the "minutemen", their organizer is not defending white racists. Of course you will argue differently since you have already decided in your extreme wisdom that he is simply because his politics differ from yours. So I guess I have probably wasted my time even responding.

If he isn't defending white racists, than why allow a white supremacy group to participate in this program, which is basically what he is doing.

I am not accusing him of BEING a racist. I am mearly accusing him of looking the other way to promote his vigilante border patrol program by allowing a specious group into his ranks. It would be interesting to know if ANY of these white supremists also have wifes, husbands, children and/or grandchildren of a different or mixed race.

My guess would be "no."
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:09 pm
I am sure Cy that it would be a bit difficult to cull the racists out from among those who show up for his little project. What should he do, ask all who show to sign a form stating they are not racists? Now if anyone is kind enough to show up with a white hood on and he still accepts their help, then I will agree with your statement that he doesn't turn them away.

He states that he has posted on the web site something to the effect that volunteers from supremicist groups are not welcome. What more can he do?

But I am glad to see that you too disagree with the gist of this thread title Cy. At least that is the idea I get from your post. Kinda makes me feel a kinship to you there, even if you aren't a card-carrying republican.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:14 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:

If he isn't defending white racists, than why allow a white supremacy group to participate in this program, which is basically what he is doing.

I am not accusing him of BEING a racist. I am mearly accusing him of looking the other way to promote his vigilante border patrol program by allowing a specious group into his ranks. It would be interesting to know if ANY of these white supremists also have wifes, husbands, children and/or grandchildren of a different or mixed race.

My guess would be "no."

Colmes says a white supremacy group has recruited for his little project. Gilcrist says he has posted a message that they are not welcome. How can he allow or not allow any particular group to participate in recruiting people? He has no control over them. And since I am sure there is no question on any forms asking whether or not you belong to some such group, how can he tell if someone joining came from a supremist group or not? He cannot.

And sorry if we took your post to indicate that you thought he was a racist, but the title sure makes it seem that is what you are getting at.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:15 pm
Dookie
And how would you propose that he stop them?

I have no love for white or any other racists but neither do I have for people who flaunt our laws and enter the nation illegally.
As for homeland security were they doing their job there would be no need for minutemen.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:18 pm
Yeah, I'm torn on the minuteman issue.

I don't want to demonize the guy, who is, frankly, doing something that I support; trying to close the border. Our gov't should have been on top of this one a long time ago, and I'm not trying to throw blame around to anyone in specific (in THIS post, muyahaah)

I disagree with the proposition that what was written implies that the guy was a racist.

But it's my gut feeling that if someone shows up to help, they are going to be allowed to help as long as they aren't wearing a white hood and screaming obscenities. The problem is, this doesn't stop racists from entering; and I wonder if it is going to lead to problems down the line when it comes to conflicts between the minutemen and illegal immigrants. I see great potential for trouble.

Nice to hear from ya again CR, hope everything is going well in yer life. I always thought that you and I agreed on many things, despite the fact that you apparenlty burned your DNC registration card Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:20 pm
If you can believe it, there are actually migrant advocacy groups out there fighting the minutemen. "Migrant advocacy groups". What the hell is wrong with this picture?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Yeah, Cy, my posting here has been sporadic lately. Been busy with some ministry work I do (I am a part-time performing clown ya know). Just finished a performance at a large festival in town (the Azalea Festival in Summerville, SC). That kept me busy the last few weeks.

Anyway, I am like you. Our borders need to be tightened. I too can see a potential for conflict between the minutemen and the illegals and those taking money to get them into the country. The minutemen claim they will not confront people, but rather will follow and call the border patrol. If that is the case, then fine. But I can see a potential for problems if idiot racists are part of the group. But keeping them from being a part is impossible unless of course they wear their hoods.

Ah well, we shall see.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:48 pm
cjhsa
I read the Migrant advocacy groups were worried about the migrants civil rights. What civil rights, they are entering illegally and are breaking our laws.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:51 pm
Exactly, they aren't migrants, they aren't immigrants. They are illegal aliens. The f-ing media calls them "immigrants" to plant that seed in people's minds. A--holes.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:56 pm
I can't figure out what civil rights are being violated myself. If what is said is going to be done by the minutemen is done, then how does that violate civil rights? All they are doing is reporting to the legal authorities a violation of US law. So where is the problem?

I am all for what they are doing (again, as long as they do not overstep the law). But I do recognize the potential for trouble and hope we don't see any.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:01 pm
I Think we should deputize them as they did in the old west and have an old fashioned posse. :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:04 pm
I say we classify the illegals as varmints.

http://chestnutridge.com/images/inv/AM2225001.jpg
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:44 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Gilcrist says he has posted a message that they are not welcome. How can he allow or not allow any particular group to participate in recruiting people? He has no control over them. And since I am sure there is no question on any forms asking whether or not you belong to some such group, how can he tell if someone joining came from a supremist group or not? He cannot.

And sorry if we took your post to indicate that you thought he was a racist, but the title sure makes it seem that is what you are getting at.

Hey, no problem, apology accepted. But the title did say that he is defending racists (not is a racist), and the reason why I elude to that fact in the thread's title is because he complained to Alan Colmes that only the "White" supremists were being criticized. I find that statement truly unbelievable and completely uncalled for. He could have mearly stated that these "White" supremists are just not welcome, condemned them, and left it at that.

The fact that he has no control over them should worry the government even more. But it shouldn't be any surprise that they would naturally feel empowered by Gilcrist's statements to Alan Colmes. The fact that he cannot tell if someone is a white supremist or not should alarm the public even more so.

On one hand, this makes a statement straight to George W. Bush regarding proper funding of border patrols and a more diligent immigration policy.

On the other hand, it can potentially invite disaster to these areas, and I'm mostly concerned with these renegade white supremist vigilantes practicing their own style of unbridled justice.

A recipe for disaster, IMO...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:01 pm
dookie wrote
Quote:

A disaster for who? I know I will get flack for this but maybe someone should show the illegal that we mean business. The rotating merry go round with it's gentle slap on the wrist does not work. People keep coming back until the finally make it across.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:53 pm
au1929 wrote:
dookie wrote
Quote:

A disaster for who? I know I will get flack for this but maybe someone should show the illegal that we mean business. The rotating merry go round with it's gentle slap on the wrist does not work. People keep coming back until the finally make it across.

A disaster for everyone. Friendly fire, mistaken identities, confused border patrols, lack of organization, and white supremists who may not like Mexicans very much.

How about showing the illegals we mean business by properly funding border patrols, au1929? Afterall, that is one of the main points of this thread. It also directly addresses Homeland Security, which has been HORRIBLY underfunded by this administration.
0 Replies