Going back to work.

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 10:35 am
Some people resist retirement because work has become their social life.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 04:03 pm
That cookout sounds like fun! But look out for your heart (I read your "sexy co-worker" thread too!)

Do you have a long drive to work, Montana? Or is it close by? After those long days you put in, it'd be rough to have a long drive home too. Hope you don't have to travel too far.

Break time will be here soon! Hang in there! Or as Noddy would say, "Hold your dominion!" That's a great line, Noddy!
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 10:19 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Some people resist retirement because work has become their social life.

EXACTLY! This woman was within a year of her retirement. She'd completely forgotten (momentarily) the money side of work in favor of the social side.

That social side IS important... but it was never why I went to work!

You're so often right, Noddy... Ever thought of writing a book for the rest of us?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 12:25 pm
BorisKitten--

Thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 03:04 am
Stray Cat wrote:
That cookout sounds like fun! But look out for your heart (I read your "sexy co-worker" thread too!)

Do you have a long drive to work, Montana? Or is it close by? After those long days you put in, it'd be rough to have a long drive home too. Hope you don't have to travel too far.

Break time will be here soon! Hang in there! Or as Noddy would say, "Hold your dominion!" That's a great line, Noddy!

It takes a half hour for us to get to work, so I'm doing an hour a day of driving time, which isn't too bad. I'm hearing that this should be the last week before break, but then that's what I was hearing about last week. I guess we really won't know for sure until the time comes.

Off to work, so see you later.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 10:56 pm
Good, I'm glad to hear you don't have a long drive. Just keep thinking, "break's almost here, break's almost here!!"

Montana, there are so many others on these forums who complain about anything and everything. And here you are, doing what sounds like a tough job (at least as far as the hours are concerned) and yet, you always sound so positive and upbeat!!

You're an inspiration, little lady!! Have a good day!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:40 am
Yee Hoo!!!!! Break is here!!! Our last day was actually Friday, which was Canada Day here and we were even paid double time ;-)
Boy, it was a rough few months and I actually made it, but I have to admit that if it wasn't for the few weeks off in the summer and 4 1/2 months off in the winter, I honestly don't think I would have lasted 2 days in there. After our 1st day there, I was already thinking about other avenues to take, but then I kept telling myself "just think of all the things you can do with that free time, Montana", and I just kept going.
The firt few weeks were the toughest, but then I started to make friends, which really makes all the difference in the world.
I hadn't worked outside my home in over 6 years and hadn't realized how much I missed the social part of being out there.
I had all my friends on A2K and the net (thank god because you guys are awesome ;-) ), but I still missed out on seeing the expression on peoples faces.
I work with a very funny group of people and at least we can have some fun during those long endless days. The longer the day, the funnier they get :-)
I'm a natural born night owl and I thought I would have a hard time getting use to the hours, but I got use to it in no time. Now, instead of going to bed at 5am, I'm getting up at 5am. Well, not for the next couple of weeks though ;-)
When we go back to work, it's going to be reasonable hours (45 to 50 hrs a week), right up until they shut down for the winter in Dec, so that won't be bad.
They told us right from the beginning "if you can make it through the first 8 weeks, you're good to go", so we're in the clear.
What a ride that was, phew!!!

Stray Cat, thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind words, but I probably haven't complained because I haven't had time, lol ;-)

Happy 4th, you guys :-D
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 09:56 am
Yippee, you did it! Congratulations, Montana, you've really earned this rest.

I'm so glad to hear you're free for a while... I hope to see you posting a lot more often now.

I for one have missed your kind and caring posts here on A2K.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2005 10:05 am
BK
You're so very sweet and I have missed you guys terribly and you can count on me doing lots of catch up time here with my other family :-)
I have a lot of stuff to catch up on here at home as well, but I'll make time every day to stop in and spend some quality time.

You guys are the best :-D
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
Yipee! Break time's here!! Break time's here!!

I'm so glad for you -- you really earned it! Enjoy, have fun, and relax!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:10 am
Thank you, Stray Cat ;-) You're very sweet :-D
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:06 am
Good to see you sounding so upbeat, Montana. Enjoy these next two weeks to the fullest!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:34 am
I am, JB :-) and I plan on enjoying every bit of the week and a half I have left.
Got lots to do between today and tomorrow to get ready for the cookout, but at least I can take my breaks when I please ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:01 am
So, I made it through the season and finally got my lay off on Dec 17th, yeeeeeee haaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
Boy, what a stretch that was and it's so nice to be free for a while.
I don't remember if I mentioned that my docter sent me for back x-rays over summer break, but he called me back in to talk about them and told me I had an old back injury that I was unaware of. I thought my back pain was from not being use to the work, but I guess I was wrong.
Anyway, he told me there was nothing that could be done and was something I was going to have to live with. He also suggested that I find a job that wouldn't be so hard on my back. "oh crap!"
I'm probably going to stick it out for one more year because I need time to figure out what I'm going to do from here, so we'll see where my next adventure brings me.

Happy New Year everyone :-D
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:08 am
Montana - got any chiropractors up there? Have you tried stretching your back?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:11 am
I don't know if I trust going to see a chiropractor and I've done lots of stretch. My Doctor said it is something in my back that popped out and it can't be fixed.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:14 am
Sounds fishy. Did he say that stretching could do you more damage?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:24 am
No. The way he explained it is that we have these bone things between all our disks to hold them in place and one of mine popped out.
He said it most likely happened from me either getting hit in the back or from taking a fall.
He also said it was an old injury, which makes sense because my back as bothered me for several years.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 12:25 am
Oh, he did tell me the best thing I could do was just to stay in shape.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2006 04:17 am
Hello, stranger! Very Happy

Be careful with that back, ya hear?
Have you considered getting a 2nd opinion, BTW? Backs are not something to be messed about with! (You only get one.)

Enjoy your break, you've certainly earned it!

How's that little white kitten going? Probably a big white cat now, yes? Very Happy
0 Replies