Going back to work.

Montana

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 04:13 pm
Oh cool! Thanks Noddy :-D I bought some support pads for our boots today and we're going to see how those do.
I found a stool as well and I hope it meets up to their standards.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:22 am
Thank god it's the weekend, Montana? Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:37 am
Yeah, we may only have one day off a week, but I'm enjoying it :-D
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:38 am
I'll bet you are! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 06:51 am
I just hope it doesn't go by too quickly ;-)
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:11 am
Oh Brave Montana!

So this must be a sort of Lobster assembly line, if you stand in one spot all day? That IS really hard!

Personally I've never had time seem to go more slowly than the few weeks I worked in a plastic injection molding factory, years ago. One day seemed like a glacial ice age! I had WAY too much time to think.

So how is it going, Montana? Do you feel you'll be able to do this until winter comes?

I agree with other posters that anything you can do to help your feet and back will make a huge difference. Would a back brace help? How about a padded rubber floor mat? Are you allowed to get one of them?

Does it smell like dead fish all the time there? Do you usually work an 8 hour day? Gosh, who would have thought I'd have so many questions?

My heart is with you, Montana!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:32 am
BK
Yes, it is an assembly line and the hardest part is standing in the same spot all day. There are 10 of us at one table and since I like most of the people at my table, it's not bad. The time actually goes by rather fast for me, but that's probably because the guy that works right next to me is cracking jokes all day and has me laughing constantly. It doesn't hurt that he's very cute as well ;-)

I know I'll be fine and will have no problem making it through until winter. I need a job that gives me the winter off since clearing the snow here is a job in itself, so this works for me.
The majority of the people are very nice and fun to work with.

They do have padded floor mats at the shop, but they didn't help with my back. I brought in a stool yesterday and that made all the difference in the world. Everyone loves my stool and I think I'll see a lot more of them in there in the near future.

No, it doesn't smell like dead fish and I was very surprised to find that it doesn't smell that bad at all.
The hours will vary over time and it all depends on how much lobster comes in that day. We work until the lobster is gone and so far an 8 hour day would be considered a half day for us.
We worked 14 hours the first day and 12 on the second day. My son and I had the day off Thursday because he had an appointment to get his license, but they worked a 13 1/2 hour day at the shop, from what they tell me. Saturdays are usually a bit slower, so we only worked 6 1/2 hours yesterday.
I'm told that the first 8 weeks are busy as hell, but then it slows down quite a bit for July and Aug until it picks up again in Sept.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:47 am
Oh blessed stool! I can see how that would make a huge difference.

I'm delighted to hear your co-workers are positive. That can make such a difference in how you feel about your job!

Here's a big pat on the back... after your first week, you deserve it!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 08:55 am
Awww shucks, thanks BK.

We are having some stormy weather pretty much all over Canada right now, so this week may not be very busy. This would give us a bit of a breather and I will welcome that.
I am ok with long hours because I'll enjoy all that overtime pay, but it would be nice to have a little break right now, just to give us time to get use to it.

I don't know if I mentioned that my son is working there as well and he works at the table next to ours. He likes the job and has made new friends, so this is also a plus :-D
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 06:58 am
How's it going, Montana?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:32 am
I have been working very long hours this week and already have 47 hours in and still have 2 days to go this week. I'm running on 3 to 4 hours sleep a night, my hands are all blistered, my back is killing me, but I'm hanging in there.
I can't wait until Sunday so I can get a break.

<<<sigh>>>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:54 am
Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:11 am
Hang in there, Montana!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:06 am
It's a tough job, no doubt about it.

Think of the new car/log cabin ... that will result from all the hard work.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 02:38 am
Montana

A question, thinking of the implications of on-going work for you. Does this company employ part-timers? That could be a longer term option in juggling life & work.

Not long till Sunday. Hey, will you enjoy it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 03:42 am
Noddy
Holding on tight ;-)

Beth
Yup, I keep thinking of those things along with the fact that it won't always be this busy at work. I'm told that things are going to start slowing down in a few weeks, so that's something I'm looking forward to :-) Thanks :-D

Olga
No, there are no part timers, but I'll manage as usual. We should have a few weeks off in July and I'm looking forward to that along with my winters off :-D

Well, off to work and I hear it's gonna be an easy day :-D
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 03:49 am
Hats off to you, Montana. You have a purpose & you're sticking to it! But do have a super enjoyable Sunday! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 03:50 am
... & I'm pleased it's going to be an "easy" day! Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 09:07 am
I hope you enjoy a nice, long soak in the tub after work today and a restful, relaxing Sunday.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 01:28 am
I'll second that! Very Happy
0 Replies