Going back to work.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:40 pm
Yes, I agree.

I am awed at your taking this job and get your reasons, Montana, and also get that most of us have no clue of your local economy and your choices of working in it.

I want you out of there, myself. Feel free to give me as a ref, but of course that'll not do much good. Although you never know. Depending on the job, my enthusiasm could help, and then you could pm me. Tis problematic - people dismiss internet stuff, with pretty good reason.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:52 am
Noddy
Yes, now that my son is merely weeks away from turning 18 and is fairly settled in life, I'm looking forward to some needed me time :-D

Osso
I know that it's a sucky job and the hours for the first 8 weeks are brutal, but things are beginning to slow down and we will have a few nice weeks off in a few weeks. Then we only work another 5 months before we get 4 1/2 months off in the winter and those 5 months are not going to be like the last 2 months were.
I've met some nice people there as well and they've all missed me the past few days that I took off.
It's been very tough the past 3 weeks because I've been sick and before that, it was my aching back.
My back is much better now and if I could get over this flu, it wouldn't be bad at all.
I know it's not the best job, but it's a job and I've never seen my son happier. He has grown instantly independant and he's glowing. He just bought himself a car and after saving for a few more months, he'll actually have enough to put it on the road. He has made some friends there at the shop and it's a thrill just watching him settle into the work place.
Yesterday was a short day and they were actually out of there at 1:30, so the hours from here to atleast Aug are going to be far less than they have been.
I know there are better jobs out there, but where else can I get atleast 2 weeks off in the summer and 4 1/2 months off in the winter?
The ideal job for me would be to do some kind of job working at home on my computer, but until I find something available, I guess I'll stick with this.
I work next to this sexy 25 year old who is easy on the eyes, so this helps, lol.
When I went to pick up my son yesterday, my sexy friend told me he missed me, awwwwww :-D
I missed him too, but I won't tell him that ;-)

Well, I am feeling better after my 2 days rest and it's back to work this morning. Looking forward to our time off in July.

Thanks for the ref offer. You're very sweet :-D
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:13 am
Keep that sexy smile firmly in place gorgeous !!

And give my phone number to the sexy 25 yr old
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:01 am
Heehee! I heard that next week might be our last week before break, thank god.
After taking 2 days off, I was feeling better until I went back to work yesterday. now I feel like crap again.
It's going on a month now that I've been sick and I'm so sick of it.

Prince, I've never met a guy with such beautiful green eyes and I know you'd like them too ;-)
He's too young for me though and I made a vow a long time ago, never to date in the work place.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 11:59 am
Hi Montana! I'm relatively new here, but I've been reading your thread, and may I just say.....you're my hero!! Great job hanging in there! You're an inspiration to all of us. I like you! (purring) I also looove hearing about all that lobster! (licking chops with little pink tongue)

Have a good day at work today! Remember your "break time" is coming up soon -- and we're all pulling for ya!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 04:07 pm
Glad to hear that it's close to break time, Montana.

I know you're in a tough location for employment options, so you've gotta do the best you can with the resources - and you've done that - so, as some of our friends say "good on ya".

Here's hoping your son is getting ready to make his way in the world. Could be tough for you as he does that, but you've done your job, and you've done it well.

Get ALL better soon.

<re the antibiotics, my doc told me there was a chance I'd have to come back for a second round, as this thing that's been going around is real-stick-to-ity, so consider checking back in with your doc>
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 05:51 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Hi Montana! I'm relatively new here, but I've been reading your thread, and may I just say.....you're my hero!! Great job hanging in there! You're an inspiration to all of us. I like you! (purring) I also looove hearing about all that lobster! (licking chops with little pink tongue)

Have a good day at work today! Remember your "break time" is coming up soon -- and we're all pulling for ya!

Oh my gosh, there's another cat on this thread!

Stray Cat, Montana is my hero, too.... I coulna' do her job, period. AND she can fix things!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:45 pm
Glad to know you, BorisKitten! We cats have to stick together!!

But -- are you home yet, Montana? If you are, sit right down on the couch. Let me get a nice fluffy pillow for your back. Put your feet up, kick back and relax! You deserve it, girlfriend! :wink:
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 05:04 am
Stray Cat
How very sweet of you to say all those nice things. You gave me my first smile this morning and I thank you for that :-D
Yesterday was a nice short day and I was thrilled when someone came and told us that we had today off, yippie :-D
I'm not going to have much of a pay next week, but that's ok. I am finally able to get some needed rest.
Next week is suppose to be very very slow and some people are saying it'll be our last week before break :-)

Welcome to A2K Stray Cat and I look forward to seeing you around here :-D

Beth
Thanks girl ;-) You mean to tell me you have this evil flu as well? I didn't even take the antibiotics the doc gave me yet, because I don't like taking them unless I have an infection. If I'm not better by next week, I'm going to take them and see what happens.
It seems to start to get better when I have a few days off, but as soon as I go back to work, it instantly gets worse, sigh!
It's going on a month now that I've had this and I don't know if it's just one nasty flu or if I got one after another. All I know is that I'll be relieved when it's gone. A month of being sick is exausting and I'm getting very weak.
Well, atleast I should be over this and feeling good when break rolls around ;-)
I hope you feel better, Beth! I feel your pain!

BK
Awwww shucks, you spoil me with kindness :-)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 12:34 pm
Montana--

If the flu symptoms only show up at work, could you be dealing with some sort of allergy that would be relieved by over-the-counter meds?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 03:17 pm
Quote:
You gave me my first smile this morning and I thank you for that

No problem, Montana! It's easy to be sweet to a nice person like you! And I could just tell from your posts how hard you were trying to make a go of it with your job -- and battling the flu at the same time!! Now, that's not easy! We're all proud of you!!

I hope you take care of yourself now and get 100% better -- so you can really enjoy your break! I'm just sorry you and your son have to work in a place that's literally making you sick.

You know, I've heard that if there is mold in the ventilation system (air conditioning or heating system) at the workplace, it can cause cold or flu-like symptoms among the employees. I wonder if that's what's happening at your workplace?

If it is, I wish your employers would take the necessary steps to check into that. I can't believe it would be all that difficult or costly just to clean out the ventilation system. And if it would create a healthier work environment, they wouldn't have so many employees calling in sick. Maybe it just hasn't occurred to them.

At any rate, I'm happy for you that you've made it through the worst! I'll bet your son is loving that car!! Good for him!!

Now, I'm gonna check out that other thread you have.....about that sexy co-worker!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 06:48 pm
Noddy
I seem to get better when I'm home and I'm sure it's worse when I'm working because I work in a moist atmosphere. There's also the possibilty that it's just a nasty flu that just doesn't want to quit.
My sexy co-worker gave me a few flu tablets that worked quite well, so I'll keep taking those until I finally shake this thing.

SC (Stray Cat)
Thank you very much :-)

You know you bring up some very good points about possible mold. I've seen programs all about mold and the ill effects it can have on us and it would explain why everyone in the plant has been sick and can't seem to get rid of it.
I'm going to wait until after break to see what happens. I should be all better by break and certainly by the time I return to work and if I get sick again after I start back up, I'll know that there's something in the shop that is making us all sick.

Yes, my son is loving his new car and things are happening fast in his life these days. It's really nice to see him enjoying himself :-D
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 04:23 pm
Hi Montana!

Just checking in with you. Have you reached your break time yet? Hope so, sounds like you need a nice rest. Hope you're feeling better!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 03:18 am
I heard that break won't be for another few weeks, but we've been working reasonable hours lately, so it's no big deal.
Got to get ready for work and I hope to have time to catch up here tomorrow :-D
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 08:35 am
We're looking forward to seeing you, Montana.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 06:58 pm
Good morning (Oz time) Montana! Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:22 am
Good morning all :-) Looks like I made it through another week. We still don't know when break is, but I've already planned my first cook out at my house for some of our new friends at work.
Both my son and I have met some really nice people there and we thought it would be nice to have them over during break so we can have some fun away from work.
You look at everyone at work and we are all wearing smocks, aprins, gloves and hair nets, so it'll be nice to see everyone let their hair down.
We have 10 people coming so far and I'm really looking forward to it.
I even bought a picnic table yesterday :-D
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 11:21 am
Great idea, Montana! It's always fun to see co-workers "out of uniform" 'cause they look so different!

You're such a sweet person, I'm not surprised you've made new friends.

Reminds me of a woman I worked with in a corporate environment, who once said, "Why else would we come here (to work), if not to socialize?" I replied, "For the money?"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 12:39 pm
BorisKitten--

Perhaps there wasn't all that much money?
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 07:48 am
Noddy24 wrote:
BorisKitten--

Perhaps there wasn't all that much money?

At the time I made almost 3 times (hourly) what I'm making now. This particular woman probably made, oh, $10-11/hour back then, in 1995.

We worked for the largest workers' comp firm in Florida, which had fantastic benefits & great pay... every year they took all their employees & families to Busch Gardens for a paid day off in the spring, all free.... for over 1,000 people. I always wondered how much it cost to get over 1,000 people into Busch Gardens!

So it was particularly funny to me that she'd forgotten why, exactly, she went to work every day. I never forgot!
0 Replies